Most Influential MidWest MC's

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 20, 2006
I can accept the fact that Southern rap artists are the dominant force in today's popular (TV/Radio) Hip-Hop culture. IMO: Outside of Scarface, UGK, Eightball & MJG, Three Six Mafia, Outkast and here recently B.G. Juvenile, and T.I., most of these rappers from the Dirty-Dirty are basically getting on with, one or two hit records and their careers are over before anyone can even remember their name. However, the Midwest has had an overabundance of true MC's that have been trendsetting, influencing, and changing Hip-Hop for at least two decades. No matter what region of the country is dominating the popular culture, the Midwest has always been represnted. I honestly feel that any pure, dedicated, and true MC from any part of the Midwest can have a career that could last for decades. I would like to open this discussion up with my personal list of the most influential Midwest MC's. In no particular order, I feel these artists have shaped, and changed the rap music game for all MC's East Coast, West Coast, and Down South:

1. COMMON
2. TWISTA
3. BONE THUGS-IN-HARMONY
4. ROYCE DA 5'9"
5. NELLY
6. TECH N9NE
7. OBIE TRICE
8. MC BREED
9. EMINEM
10. KANYE WEST

This is my list, it could've been longer but ten is the magic number. For anyone that may not feel my inclusion of Nelly and Kanye on this list, I won't argue your personal opinons about their styles and content, but you cannot ignore their numbers.

Jul 7, 2002
Nelly put the midwest on the map as far as the mainstream goes. He brought light to the area which in turn made it easier for other midwest cats to get deals.

Jul 7, 2002
He may have made STL look bad in some peoples eyes...regardless he directly and indirectly helped alot of people, even ones that hate him for what he did.

HIM

Sicc OG
Sep 27, 2002
Heat Myser said:
He may have made STL look bad in some peoples eyes...regardless he directly and indirectly helped alot of people, even ones that hate him for what he did.
I cant argue with that...

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
i disagree...
a couple people outta the Lou got deals..

no one else in any other midwest city came up off of Nellys achievements...

Chicago?
KC?
Nebraska?
Iowa?
Illnois?
Cleveland?
Ohio?

name some people from these citys that came up based off of Nellys achievements..

Aug 7, 2002
nelly is tight some people just hate and some people just odnt like his style but dont really pay attention to da lyrics when the person aint feelin him his beats or style....aint that many really good rappers from the midwest states it's alot trying to come up hard from gary indiana but man it's not that really good sounds out these days especially in kansas city lyrically rich the factor and tech nine wipes out all of the rest and most beats from kansas city isn't even that tight doesn't sound that good...do or die still doing there thing im surprised they still dropping hot shit out and i believe dayton family are done they just can't bring it back like they use to not lryically but there beats

Jul 7, 2002
Call it what ya want, but he brought alot of attention to the midwest which was previously pretty much unknown. I'm not saying he's the shit in my book, but I respect him 100%.