MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
UFC gonna blow McGregor up like he's UFC's biggest star but they won't even let him headline for the belt against Aldo?

Him and Aldo ARE headlining tho.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 26s26 seconds ago
FWIW, McGregor vs. Aldo for the 145 lbs title is the UFC 189 main event. MacDonald vs. Lawler for the 170 lbs title is the co-main, per UFC.

Feb 10, 2006
Rumor Alert: Kimbo Slice vs James Thompson 2 likely to be announced at next weeks presser for Bellators next big event at the end of May (Likely, May 30, head to head with UFC Fight Night 67)

This was the reason the rumored King Mo vs Thompson fight never happened at Bellator 134, and Kongo got the fight.

Also, Douglas Lima is likely to be on the card. Not sure if they make this the comain

Feb 10, 2006
UFC headliner Frank Mir accidentally arrived in Brazil with bullets in his suitcase

UMMM, WHAT? LOL

Former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir had almost passed airport security in Brazil when he was waved back. Something was inside his luggage.

“I have a bunch of different gym bags, too many bags that I use, and my backpack, I guess, I hadn’t used it since I went shooting last,” Mir (16-9 MMA, 14-9 UFC) today told MMAjunkie Radio from Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, where he meets Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva (18-6-1 MMA, 2-3-1 UFC) in Sunday’ UFC Fight Night 61 headliner.

Officers rescanned Mir’s backpack and tried to figure out what was wrong. Mir emptied its contents. At first, he didn’t find anything. But then, he pulled out one of two 9-mm bullets.

“I flew from (Las) Vegas to (Los Angeles); no one noticed it,” he said. “I flew from LA to Sao Paulo; no one noticed it.”

Mir doesn’t speak much Portuguese, and the officers didn’t speak much English, so it wasn’t exactly easy for him to explain the situation, which Globo first reported.

They asked him if he was a police officer. He said he was from Las Vegas and trained with firearms and made a simple mistake. Then they detained him.

“The first guy, he kind of panicked a little bit (and said), ‘I’ve got to call the police,'” Mir said. “He walked off. It kind of sucked because the manager of the area, she came over and we were explaining the whole situation, and she basically said, ‘Let’s forget this. It’s an understandable mistake.’ But then the other guy ran off with my passport. Firearms are illegal here in Brazil, so he stressed out a little bit.”

The more Mir waited, the more his concern grew about what might happen next. So he called for help from the guy he knew could help, and would probably find out anyway whatever happened: UFC President Dana White.

“They were being pretty casual with me, as far as I had access to my phone,” Mir said. “I was like, I’m not going to call the wife – what’s she going to do besides panic and freak out? I know where the buck’s eventually going to stop. Let me start out at the top of the food chain and let that sort it out. It will save me a bunch of phone calls.”

White told him to hang tight. After an hour of waiting, the police showed up.

“The gentleman came over, and he had a smile on his face,” Mir said. “He handed me my passport and let me know that I could have the passport and he was going to keep the bullets, and to try not to make that mistake again.”

There was just one more thing to worry about: the flight to Porto Alegre. With the delay, Mir had missed boarding. But there was more luck in store.

“My trainer, the boxing coach I was traveling here with, stopped the plane from taking off,” he said. “They knew who I was and they were holding off. “They knew who I was, and they were holding off.”

Mir called White again to give him the good news. Apparently, it wasn’t that easy a task to track down the officials that might have gotten Mir out of trouble
“I guess we’re on the tail end of Carnival, so people aren’t answering their phones,” Mir chuckled.

And so, Mir is all set to face Silva at the Sunday event, which takes place at Gigantinho Gymnasium. The event’s main card airs live on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

If MMA weren’t so popular in Brazil, White might have been on the phone a lot longer trying to get Mir out of jail. But thankfully, the ex-champ has a little bit of pull.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
lol it's definitely possible. Back in 2006 I had a 5.56 M4 round travel with me through 5 countries lol

I left Afghanistan and before I left Navy customs did an insane thorough check of our bags and they didn't catch it. Then I went to Kyrgyzstan and went through airport security there, then to Turkey where we switched planes, then to Ireland, then landed in the states in Baltimore.

I didn't even know that shit was in there until I got home to Ft. Drum, NY and emptied all my bags.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
L0LZ

Kimbo Slice meets Ken Shamrock at June 20 Bellator event in St. Louis | MMAjunkie

In his return to MMA, Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson will fight the man he was originally pitted against seven years ago.

Slice (4-2) will take on UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock (28-15-2) this summer. Officials today announced the bout.

The event takes place June 20 at Scottrade Center in St. Louis. Slice vs. Shamrock headlines the Spike TV-televised main card, which follows prelims on MMAjunkie.

The Bellator event takes place the same day as UFC Fight Night 69 in Berlin.

Bellator recently announced a new deal with Slice, a 41-year-old Bahamian-born fighter who hasn’t competed in MMA since a 2010 UFC loss to Matt Mitrione.

Slice is veteran slugger previously known for a series of underground fights posted to YouTube, and later for a career with the now-defunct EliteXC promotion and eventually the UFC.

Slice had a brief run in the UFC and on “The Ultimate Fighter 10″ after an upset loss to Seth Petruzelli in 2008 and the subsequent collapse of EliteXC, which featured him prominently in a series of highly promoted network-televised events on CBS. Slice was actually supposed to fight Shamrock, but after the MMA trailblazer suffered a cut just prior to the fight, Petruzelli stepped in as a replacement and pulled off the upset.

“I remember how excited I was when this fight was originally announced, and how disappointed I was when it didn’t come to fruition at that time,” Bellator President Scott Coker stated. “I’m very happy we were able to put this one together because I know these guys still have a lot of unfinished business to take care of, and when they do, it will be something special.”

In recent years, Slice had turned his attention to pro boxing, where he racked up a 7-0 mark against a string of largely overmatched opponents.

Shamrock, meanwhile, has been on the sidelines since November 2010. The 22-year-pro was slated for an April bareknuckle-boxing bout, which may be scrapped due to the Bellator bout. Shamrock, 51, competed at the first UFC event, eventually won a title, earned a UFC Hall of Fame induction and fought for a variety of organizations across the globe during his lengthy career.

For more on the June 20 Bellator event, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.