MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2004
Huh??? :confused: Football, basketball etc.....has nuthin to do with combat sports. I repeat boxing is bigger than MMA and always has been and always will be period! Remember I love both but just keeping it real. Got Em!!
Boxing is not bigger than MMA to current generation. Go to your local high school and ask them what they prefer. I guarantee every high school you go to will say MMA. MMA has changed everything. High schools and Colleges now offer bjj classes, judo classes, MMA classes etc. If you watch kids street fight nowadays you see everyone trying to throw kicks and elbows, take people down and lock in submissions. MMA has the 25 and younger crowd on lock.

Last edited:

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Boxing is not bigger than MMA to current generation. Go to your local high school and ask them what they prefer. I guarantee every high school you go to will say MMA. MMA has changed everything. High schools and Colleges now offer bjj classes, judo classes, MMA classes etc. If you watch kids street fight nowadays you see everyone trying to throw kicks and elbows, take people down and lock in submissions. MMA has the 25 and younger crowd on lock.
Local high schools?????? Haha bad example kid. High school kids arent buying the tickets to sellout these arenas and they arent buying the PPV's. They are high school kids. So u can have your high schools. Boxing is bigger amongst the world not just high school haha. That was funny though, this dude brought up high school kids lol. Got Em!!

Feb 12, 2004
Local high schools?????? Haha bad example kid. High school kids arent buying the tickets to sellout these arenas and they arent buying the PPV's. They are high school kids. So u can have your high schools. Boxing is bigger amongst the world not just high school haha. That was funny though, this dude brought up high school kids lol. Got Em!!
Except that people age and the current generation will eventually replace the last generation. When you're a business man you're trying to capture as many demographics as you can. That's how life AND business works. The people buying up boxing will eventually age out and die with nobody to replace them. Without getting the attention of the outside market(in this case the younger geneation) you will eventually cease to exist in the future. Business 101. MMA is without a doubt the present and the future.

Last edited:

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Except that people age and the current generation will eventually replace the last generation. When you're a business man you're trying to capture as many demographics as you can. That's how life AND business works. The people buying up boxing will eventually age out and die with nobody to replace them. Without getting the attention of the outside market(in this case the younger geneation) you will eventually cease to exist in the future. Business 101. MMA is without a doubt the present and the future.
Dude u crack me up. The people buying the PPV's are gonna die huh? Hahahah. U let me know when MMA actually surpasses boxing but it hasnt yet trust me! The MMA will be around and can maintain but boxing will always be the ultimate combat sport! Just how it is whether u like it or not. We can just agree to disagree on this topic. Got Em!!

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Man Bigfoot is about to get knocked the fuck out! Anyone bout to watch the card tonight? Just getting started on FX. Got Em!!

Dec 12, 2006
Watching the replay now, first fight, dude taps right before he passes out and gets choked for another 10 seconds before the ref calls it, he should fight the ref next thats FUCKD

Nov 7, 2006
Dude u crack me up. The people buying the PPV's are gonna die huh? Hahahah. U let me know when MMA actually surpasses boxing but it hasnt yet trust me! The MMA will be around and can maintain but boxing will always be the ultimate combat sport! Just how it is whether u like it or not. We can just agree to disagree on this topic. Got Em!!
UFC is a baby compared to Boxing right now. sure boxing looks like it will never be dethroned as the top sport but trust me it's already happening. it still has a long way to go but Brown is right man. the older generation will faze out and the younger generations will be buying MMA fights over Boxing fights.

Dec 19, 2006
ONE FC 6 Rise of Kings

*RESULTS

Main Card
Shinya Aoki def. Arnaud Lepont via submission (triangle) at 1:25 in round 1
Kotetsu Boku vs. Zorobabel Moreira via TKO (ref stoppage, strikes) at 1:02 of round 3
Soo Chul Kim def. Leandro Issa via KO at :15 of round 2
Melvin Manhoef def. Ryo Kawamura via KO at 4:40 of round 1

Bantamweight Grand Prix
Jens Pulver def. Zhao Ya Fei via unanimous decision (Pulver could not continue after injury)
Masakatsu Ueda def. Min Jung Song via unanimous decision (scores not announced)
Kevin Belingon def. Yusup Saadulaev by KO 4:18 at of round 1

Prelims
Gianni Subba def. Bruce Loh by KO at :33 of round 1
Mitch Chilson def. Ngabdi Mulyadi by TKO (ref stoppage, strikes) at 1:03 of round 2

Looks like it was a good card.Lots of finishes and that soccer kick KO by Subba was dope

Last edited:

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
UFC is a baby compared to Boxing right now. sure boxing looks like it will never be dethroned as the top sport but trust me it's already happening. it still has a long way to go but Brown is right man. the older generation will faze out and the younger generations will be buying MMA fights over Boxing fights.
Well first off neither one of u are right because u are speaking of the future and we dont know what the future holds. 2ndly its a fact that boxing is bigger and has been bigger as u just said MMA is a baby compared to boxing. All we can go by is facts. Now if u and Brown are predicting that MMA will pass boxing thats fine but when folks say it already has thats when I laugh and comeback. Got Em!!

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Dana White suggests Strikeforce champ Ronda Rousey vs. 'Cyborg' Santos is close

What could be the most marketable fight in women's MMA history appears to be moving closer to reality.

Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey (6-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) has risen quickly during her recent title reign, yet a much-anticipated fight with currently suspended ex-featherweight champ Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (10-1 MMA, 4-0 SF) has seemingly been stalled by public bickering over a proposed weight class.

UFC President Dana White, though, suggested progress is being made.

White, whose organization also owns Strikeforce, has been one of Rousey's most ardent supporters. In fact, in recent months, he said the Olympic judoka could be the first to usher women into the UFC and even on to "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series.

But many fans want to see a fight with Santos, who was widely regarded as the most dominant female fighter before a failed steroid test and Rousey's subsequent ascent. Santos said she can't physically get much lighter than 145 pounds, and Rousey said she shouldn't have to move up from 135 pounds to accommodate her.

Could resolution be on the way? Are they getting closer to it becoming reality?

"I think we are," White said. "You've been seeing me hang around Ronda a lot, right? I've been working on it."

White, who also wouldn't count out the possibility of the fight happening in the UFC, made the comments following Friday's UFC on FX 5 event at Minneapolis' Target Center. Perhaps not surprisingly, Rousey also was in attendance.

The fight, though, is still at least a few months away. Santos, who was stripped of her title after the failed drug test this past December, received a 12-month suspension from the California State Athletic Commission when she tested positive for stanozolol following a title defense over Hiroko Yamanaka. The CSAC later overturned the win and declared it a no-contest.

During her absence, Rousey has become the most recognizable face in women's MMA. While countless media appearances and the UFC/Strikeforce's marketing muscle has helped, her in-cage work has been the primary factor. Back in March, she won her title from Miesha Tate, and in August, she defended it with a win over Sarah Kaufman. Like the four pro fights (and three amateur bouts) before it, both wins came via first-round armbar.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
UFC boss Dana White stands by Jeremy Stephens, tried desperately to post fighter's ba

MINNEAPOLIS – UFC President Dana White said he was willing to pay an "astronomical amount of money" to bail Jeremy Stephens (20-8 MMA, 7-6 UFC) out Minneapolis' Hennepin County Public Safety Facility in time to compete at Friday's UFC on FX 5 event.

Stephens was arrested by the Minneapolis Police Department hours before the event for warrants stemming from a 2011 incident in Iowa for which the lightweight was charged with assault.

While many wondered why White was seemingly jumping through hoops to take care of the incarcerated fighter, the UFC boss said the reason was simple: Stephens insists he is innocent, and White has no reason not to believe him.

"We heard about this thing a long time ago," White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "Jeremy Stephens' side of the story is that he never hit the guy. It wasn't him. It was one of his friends, and they were all together, and he hit the guy. The guys were accusing him of hitting the guy because they're trying to get money out of him. Because he's a UFC guy, they think they can make money off of him or whatever. That's his side of the story, and I like Jeremy Stephens. He's a good kid. I've known him for years, and if that's what he tells me, I take grown men for their word.

"These guys, they're in business with me, and if that's what he tells me the story is, am I going to call him a liar?"

Stephens was expected to face Yves Edwards (41-18-1 MMA, 9-6 UFC) on the FUEL TV-broadcast preliminary card of UFC on FX 5, which took place at Minneapolis' Target Center. However, he was arrested Friday morning at the Marriott City Center Hotel, which was the past week's UFC host hotel.

White said he was immediately alerted of the development and contacted the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office to seek out a resolution. Stephens was initially held without bail, but White said law enforcement officials in Iowa were willing to discuss possible deals.

"I was willing to have two police officers – armed police officers – bring him from jail to come fight tonight and then bring him back to jail," White said. "Let the kid get paid because he's going to have to spend money on this thing anyway. He has a family to take care of."

White, who during the night's preliminary insisted in a televised interview that Stephens would still compete, believed a deal had been reached. However, he said the terms of the deal changed multiple times throughout the afternoon and evening, and it ultimately proved impossible to have Stephens released.

"There were two charges," White said. "One was $1,000 bail. The other was $20,000. That's where we started. Where we ended was f------ insane. I could have gotten (Charles) Manson out for what they wanted me to pay for him.

"It's just crazy. I've seen crazier s--- than this before. Floyd Mayweather got to decide when he went to jail. You know what I mean? But this kid on an assault charge couldn't come out and fight today when he would have gone back to jail. I would have bailed him out. I would have flown him to Des Moines, Iowa, to face the charges down there. I was willing to do anything, and they dragged me out played games with me all day. That's why I'm so pissed."

White said his primary motivation for pushing for Stephens to compete was simple: He knows the 26-year-old will be in desperate need of the money he could have earned by fighting.

"You know what losing this purse means to a kid like Jeremy Stephens?" White asked. "It's a huge blow. This is how these kids make a living. This is how they feed their families. He spent money to get to this fight – money he probably didn't have. Now he's really screwed because the fight didn't happen."

As of Friday night, Stephens was still incarcerated in Minnesota and was expected to be extradited to Iowa to face charges. White said he anticipates a difficult time for Stephens after his own dealings with Iowa officials throughout the day.

"People that have gone on three-state killing sprees get freaking bailed out of jail," White said. "This kid has an assault charge in Des Moines, Iowa, and he is not going to have fun when he gets there because they have got it out for this kid, big time."

So after a hectic day full of negotiations that ultimately proved fruitless, he'll now allow the legal system to take over. But he's standing by his fighter, who he insists is innocent until proven guilty.

"I hate seeing stuff like this happen to the guys," White said. "And yeah, there's no doubt he's responsible for the situation, but again, he's got a completely different story. We all have different stories when we're in trouble, but I was trying to help him.

"I'm taking his word for it. Man to man, that's what he says, and I'm going to take his word for it. I believe him."

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Cyborg will give Ronda Rousey the beats if that fight ever goes down. Ronda aint no joke on the ground but Cyborg is just on another level imo. Cyborg would beat her the same way she punked Carano. Ronda should cash out on her few mins of fame and do some movies or playboy

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Don't think Cyborg is gonna be the kind of beast she once was though, now she's gonna be drug tested a lot more stricter and Ronda wants the fight at 135. Cyborg with no roids plus a bigger weight cut might expose the hell out of her.

It pisses me off that Cyborg keeps talking all this shit saying she can't make 135 when she made her MMA debut at 135 and got destroyed and tapped out in less than 2 minutes, it was funny too, when she made her debut at 135 she actually looked like a woman and not all muscled up, no wonder she started roiding.

Fact is Cyborg isn't a champion and she wants to fight a champion, the champion don't accommodate you, you go down to the champs weight. Cyborg is scared she'll get exposed if she has to drop some muscle mass.

Nov 7, 2006
Well first off neither one of u are right because u are speaking of the future and we dont know what the future holds. 2ndly its a fact that boxing is bigger and has been bigger as u just said MMA is a baby compared to boxing. All we can go by is facts. Now if u and Brown are predicting that MMA will pass boxing thats fine but when folks say it already has thats when I laugh and comeback. Got Em!!
Yeah true but the rate boxing is dropping and UFC is rising it's bound to happen. thats all we're saying. but yeah right now without question boxing is #1.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah true but the rate boxing is dropping and UFC is rising it's bound to happen. thats all we're saying. but yeah right now without question boxing is #1.
Here is the million dollar question.................What makes u think boxing is dropping? Got Em!!