MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Rematch?! Santiago Vs. Khalidov II?

KSW just announced that Mamed Khalidov (20-3-1) [Num. 10] will rematch Jorge Santiago (21-8) [Num. 11] at Sengoku 12, March 7th in Tokyo. The fight will be for Sengoku Middleweight Title. – BloodyElbow

Last time KSW announced that Khalidov had agreed to face Doerksen but this time they announced that a fight is set so a title fight between Khalidov and Santiago should happen in March.

SRC12
Date: March 7th, 2010
Place: Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, Japan

Possible Fight:
SRC MW Title Fight: Jorge Santiago vs. Mamed Khalidov

Participant:
Maxi

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Bibiano Fernandes vs. Hellboy In the Works for DREAM 13

Former DREAM lightweight champion Joachim “Hellboy” Hansen appears to be looking to jump start his career at 145 pounds, as sources close to the situation have recently indicated to FiveOuncesofPain.com that the Norway based veteran is currently targeted to face off with Bibiano Fernandes for the DREAM featherweight championship.
FiveOuncesofPain.com has further learned from sources close to the situation that the meeting between the two will most likely take place during DREAM 13, although no official word on the event has been released from the promotion as of this writing.
Fernandes clearly established himself as a premier featherweight in 2009 as the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt went on to capture the DREAM 145 pound title with four consecutive wins over the likes of Takafumi Otsuka, Masakazu Imanari, Joe Warren and Hiroyuki Takaya during the promotion’s featherweight grand prix.
Hansen recently fell victim to a Shinya Aoki armbar to relinquish the DREAM lightweight crown after knocking the “Tobikan Judan” senseless in a previous bout where he originally captured the title. Hansen holds impressive victories over the likes of Takanari Gomi, Gesias “JZ” Calvancanti and Caol Uno during the course of his decorated career.
------------------------

It says 145 lbs. but DREAM's FW division is 138, so I'm not sure if that's an error or if they're raising the weight. Should be awesome regardless, Hellboy weighed like 150 his last fight.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
New Gomi Interview

Your fight with the peruvian-american Kenny Florian has been confirmed for March 31, at UFN 21. Any comment about this news?

There´s no much to say. This was already predicted. I´m preparing well and i won´t have problems adapting to the octagon. Mr. Florian is a fighter with good abilities, one of the best of his class in the UFC. He´s a good opponent for a good start. I can do a good fight for the audience and begin with a satisfactory result.

Have you studied Florian´s behavior during a fight? Have you analized his last bouts?

This (Florian´s behavior) honestly doesn´t bothers me. Nowadays, everyone that practices MMA knows how to fight against any kind of opponent. I know he´s a dangerous fighter, with a good ground work. In the UFC you have to face elite athletes and, of course, i´ll be prepared against any kind of threat.

If Kenny Florian wins he would clasify for the UFC´s LW belt, have you considered that possibility?

I always think on that. Since i entered into the UFC, i´ve always said that my goal is the belt. I would give that title to the japanese fans, is what we all want.

What do you think about the champion BJ Penn? You faced him in the past and was defeated. Can you beat him?

Of course that´s possible. He´s a huge fighter but i´m aware about my capacity and i know i´m the right person to cause him trouble in the UFC. I´m patient and would wait for my opportunity. But Mr. Dana White knows about the importance of that fight.

Many sustain that in Pride you lost against former UFC Nick Díaz cause you didn´t adjust to America. Are you afraid of this happening again?

I lost against Mr. Díaz cause i didn´t fight well due to not having an appropiate conditioning training, cause i though i was going to win the fight quicky. I´m not afraid about bigger, taller opponents. Mr. Lesnar, the HW champion, is an example. He doesn´t has great boxing technique or a good footwork, but his strengh is huge and it requires a great technique from his opponents to balance that. I´m not having that kind of problem in my weight class.

While staying in the USA you have sometimes trained with Randy Couture, Tyson Griffin and local athletes. Did you take that on advantage for getting used to the octagon?

When you train with great fighters, you always learn something. I have the intention of continuously train in the USA, but i haven´t make a decision on that. I´ve got some calls but haven´t thought enough about it.

Who do you consider the best fighter on the UFC, among all the weight classes nowadays?

For me the most complete fighter in the world is not in the UFC. Mr. Fedor is the best. However, Nogueira, Anderson and St. Pierre have impressed me a lot. Basically, the UFC has good fighters, the competition is high.

Besides you and Caol Uno, which other japanese fighter do you see having the chance to compete with the UFC´s LWs?

I don´t need to answer that. I care just about me and my team. Japan has a lot of valuable fighters that without a doubt could be between the best of the world.

Finally, how do you expect beating Kenny Florian on March 31st?

By 1st round Knock Out.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
UFC Working On Griffin-Nogueira For UFC 113

After the debut in the UFC, with a fist round knockout victory over Luis Cane, the Bahia native Rogério “Minotouro” Nogueira already knows when he’ll be back to the octagon. Sources close to the fighter informed TATAME.com that he’ll face Forrest Griffin at UFC 113, on May 8th, and the fighter confirmed the negotiations. “It’s almost set, we’re negotiating, but it’s not 100% yet. It’s not confirmed by the UFC yet”, Nogueira said, following the birth of his first daughter, Valentina. “I feel great, that’s a great responsibility. A child depending on us, a little girl.”
----

Hate on Forrest all you want but he takes insane fights.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Strikeforce Eyes March Return for Johnson & Tate

SUNRISE, Fla. -- With the Strikeforce Challengers VI event on Feb. 26 filing up, the organization is now turning it's attention to the March 26 Strikeforce Challengers VII show. MMA Fighting has learned that the organization is targeting a main event involving Lavar Johnson (13-3) and Lolohea Mahe (4-1), as well as a 135-pound women's fight between Miesha Tate (8-2) and Zoila Frausto (4-0).

MMA Fighting has also confirmed that the previously reported Andre Galvao-Luke Stewart is also expected to take place on the card.

In addition to those fights, Abongo Humphrey (5-1), who lost to Brett Rogers in heavyweight action last April, will drop down to light heavyweight to face a yet to be determined opponent.

Bout agreements have yet to be signed for the aforementioned fights.

Lavar Johnson's potential involvement on the card is particularly intriguing considering he was shot multiple times in July. At the time of the incident, it was unclear whether he would live, let alone fight again, and now here he is, making his return to MMA just eight months later. "Big" has won his last five fights in a row, most recently defeating Carl Seumanutafa via 18-second knockout in May.

His opponent, Mahe, will be making his Strikeforce debut. He is currently 4-1, and fought to a draw against TUF 10 alum Scott Junk.

Tate last competed for Strikeforce in May, losing to Sarah Kaufman via unanimous decision. She recently told MMA Fighting that she would like to fight Frausto.

"I think she's just a little too cocky," she said. "I think it would be a good fight."

Tate, who defeated Valerie Coolbaugh earlier this month, said she didn't appreciate some of the comments Frausto wrote on her MySpace page following her Strikeforce debut victory over Elisha Helsper in November.

Strikeforce Challengers VII is set take place at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif., and will be televised on Showtime.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Mousasi Joins St. Pierre's Camp, Eyes King Mo Next

Gegard Mousasi will join Georges St. Pierre in Miami this week to assist the UFC welterweight champion for a part of his training camp in preparation for St. Pierre's title defense against Dan Hardy at UFC 111 on March 27 in Newark, N.J.

Currently in Glendale, Calif., preparing for an appearance on HDNet’s “Inside MMA” which airs Friday, the Strikeforce light heavyweight champion said he will spend a few days with St. Pierre’s team in Miami, where Mousasi will also attend Strikeforce’s Saturday event at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. Then, Mousasi will fly with the team to Las Vegas for an additional week of training.

The trip marks the first time the Iranian-born Armenian fighter will train stateside. Mousasi has traveled to Russia to work with the world’s No. 1 heavyweight, Fedor Emelianenko, for brief spurts, but has kept the majority of his camps in Holland, where he resides.

“I am nervous being away from my family and friends for two weeks and I don’t think of it like Georges is calling me for help,” Mousasi told Sherdog.com via email. “I think he is a great athlete that wants to train with different fighters to improve himself.”

The 24-year-old champion said he hopes to exchange vital training information with St. Pierre.

“To be honest, I’m curious about everything, curious how he does things and if I have to say something specific that would be how he puts everything together to be able to take down opponents with ease,” wrote Mousasi.

Mousasi’s travels kick off an already congested 2010 for the in-demand fighter. Including his New Year’s Eve victory against Gary Goodridge at K-1 and Dream’s co-promoted “Dynamite” event, Mousasi expects to fight six to eight times this year.

“I’m just trying to keep busy from New Year’s until 2011 New Year’s Eve,” Mousasi told the Sherdog Radio Network on Saturday at the Los Angeles Fit Expo. “Every fight won’t be top competition, so there will be some fighters that maybe are less fighters than others, but I want to stay busy and I’m going to fight a lot this year.”

Mousasi’s list of tentative bouts include two to three appearances in Dream’s light heavyweight tournament beginning in May, a bout for K-1 when it hosts an event in Amsterdam this year, another New Year’s Eve appearance for K-1 “Dynamite,” as well as two Strikeforce fights.

Mousasi has been told that Strikeforce is considering Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal for his first title defense, most likely on the promotion’s second CBS-televised event sometime in April. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed to Sherdog.com that the promotion is considering the matchup.

Lawal, a 2003 Div. I All-American wrestler for Oklahoma State University and 2005 U.S. world team member, has finished five of his six career victories with strikes.

“He’s undefeated. He’s confident, obviously,” said Mousasi of Lawal. “He has also proven himself in wrestling, from what I’ve heard. I think he does his homework. Style-wise he matches up very well for me and I think he feels the same way about my fight style against him.”

Mousasi, who’s lost only twice in his 31-bout career, believes he’d be the favorite over Lawal should they meet.

“Basically, if he wants to take me down, he has to set the takedown with punches. I don’t see that happening,” he said. “In the clinch, I’m much better with inside boxing, with knees, kicks. I’ve never seen him kick, so I see a lot of advantages. His only advantage, basically, is the wrestling and he has good ground-and-pound, but I feel I have the same ground-and-pound, so I don’t see any advantage that he has over me.”

In the interim, Mousasi’s international studies will take centerstage.

“I always train for my fights in Holland. This is just a learning experience,” said Mousasi on Saturday. “I don’t have a fight right now, so I’m trying to learn how they fight, how they train, how they do stuff. I will take what I learn and try to do it in Holland, but I don’t prepare for fights in other gyms. I always try to prepare for my fights in Holland.”

Feb 7, 2006
Mendes Draws Koch in March 6 WEC Debut

Highly touted featherweight prospect Chad Mendes will make his World Extreme Cagefighting debut in a preliminary bout with Erik Koch at WEC 47 “Bowles vs. Cruz” on March 6 at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. Nine matches are now official for the late winter event.

Based at former WEC featherweight king Urijah Faber’s Team Alpha Male, Mendes remains unbeaten through five fights as a professional. The 24-year-old Hanford, Calif., native last appeared in October, when he defeated Sportfight veteran Mike Joy by unanimous decision at a Tachi Palace Fights show. A decorated collegiate wrestler, Mendes was a two-time All-American at California Polytechnic State University and finished as the national runner-up in 2008.

Koch, 21, a former Mainstream MMA champion, defeated Pancrase veteran Jameel Massouh by unanimous decision in his promotional debut at WEC 45 last month. More than half (five) of the Cedar Rapids, Iowa-based featherweight’s victories have come by submission.

A bantamweight title fight pairing champion Brian Bowles with the once-beaten Dominick Cruz will headline the WEC 47 lineup, along with a key 135-pound bout pitting former titleholder Miguel Torres against Joseph Benavidez. The show will also mark the return of one-time UFC lightweight king Jens Pulver, as he matches skills with Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Javier Vazquez.

Feb 7, 2006
Bellator Lands WEC Veteran Schambari

Bellator Fighting Championships, still more than two months away from its 2010 debut, announced on Friday that it had acquired the services of once-beaten World Extreme Cagefighting veteran Eric Schambari. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Schambari will compete in the fledgling promotion’s middleweight tournament, the winner of which will earn a crack at 185-pound champion Hector Lombard. The 31-year-old Las Vegas native will carry a four-fight winning streak into his next match.

“I watched Bellator last season, and I just think it’s a great organization with some really, really talented and exciting fighters,” Schambari said in a release. “In this business, it’s all about finding the best possible competition, and Bellator has some of the best in the world.”

An accomplished ground fighter who trains under Marc Laimon, Schambari last competed in October, when he submitted Will Espich with a first-round arm-triangle choke at a Maximo Fighting Championship event in Puerto Rico. More than half (six) of his 11 career wins have come by submission.

“Eric is a very talented middleweight with what’s commonly referred to as freak strength,” Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney said. “Given who our middleweight champion is, that’s a vital attribute to possess.”

Schambari suffered his lone career defeat by split decision against Bryan Baker at WEC 31 in December 2007. Shortly after, he was injured in training and suffered an allergic reaction to medication that nearly cost him his life and career.

“The determination Eric’s shown during his comeback from a serious injury is inspirational and shows the kind of heart he has,” Rebney said.

Schambari -- who owns notable victories against Sherman Pendergarst, Logan Clark and Art Santore -- returned to training and competition against the advice of his doctors. He has not lost since.

“After all that, I didn’t know if I’d be fighting again,” he said. “It was tough.”

Feb 7, 2006
Drwal vs. Palhares, Camoes vs. Pellegrino official for UFC 111 prelims in March

The full fight card for the UFC's return to New Jersey is nearly complete as two more bouts were today officially announced for "UFC 111: St-Pierre vs. Hardy."

In a pair of preliminary card matchups, middleweights Tomasz Drwal (17-2-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Rousimar Palhares (10-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) face off, while lightweights Fabricio Camoes (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0-1 UFC) and Kurt Pellegrino (14-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) will also meet in the octagon.

Both fights were previously reported by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Featuring two UFC title fights, UFC 111 takes place on March 27 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card airs live on pay-per-view.

Drwal racked up his third-straight UFC victory this past September at UFC 103 when he surprised many by taking fellow striker Drew McFedries down and securing a rear-naked choke. The Polish-born fighter had previously developed a reputation as a banger in slugfests with Thiago Silva, Ivan Serati and Mike Ciesnolevicz.

Drawl splits his fight training between his native Poland — where he runs his own MMA gym — and San Diego.

Meanwhile, Palhares, a standout in the next generation of Brazilian Top Team fighters, saw action this past December at UFC 107, where he submitted newcomer Lucio Linhares by heel hook. It was his second consecutive victory after a lone octagon blemish against Dan Henderson at UFC 88 – a fight that snapped a six-win streak.

After opening his career just 3-4, Camoes had reeled off seven consecutive wins, six of which came via submission, prior to his UFC debut this past November. Camoes engaged longtime vet Caol Uno in an intense affair for three rounds, but a point deduction for "Morango" in the second frame left the fight scored as a majority draw.

Camoes fought once under the Strikeforce banner and earned a submission win over Torrance Taylor at a May 2009 "Strikeforce Challengers" event, and he also competed in EliteXC's "ShoXC" series, where he went 2-0.

The bout will be the 30-year-old Pellegrino's first since an August win over Josh Neer. Pellegrino was expected to face Frankie Edgar at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale this past December, but herniated discs forced "Batman" off of the card.

After battling through a difficult 1-2 stretch, Pellegrino recently returned from Florida to train in his native New Jersey. Pellegrino credits the move with propelling him to his current three-fight win streak.

With the additions to the card, UFC 111's full lineup now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Georges St-Pierre vs. Dan Hardy (for welterweight title)
* Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir (for interim heavyweight title)
* Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch*
* Martin Kampmann vs. Ben Saunders
* Mark Bocek vs. Jim Miller

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown
* Fabricio Camoes vs. Kurt Pellegrino
* Jared Hamman vs. Rodney Wallace
* Tomasz Drwal vs. Rousimar Palhares
* Ricardo Funch vs. Matthew Riddle

* - Not officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
Michigan promoter reveals own highs and lows during state's drive toward pro MMA

For every wannabe Dana White in existence, Joe Donofrio has a warning: Be careful what you wish for.

Donofrio is the promoter of record for the Jan. 30 "Malice at The Palace" event in Auburn Hills, Mich., one of the first regulated professional mixed martial arts shows in Michigan's history, and he knows well the process of taking the sport to an unregulated market.

But Donofrio warns aspiring promoters that there are a variety of potholes on the paved road to promotional success, not the least of which is the rules adopted by the agency when it begins regulation in the first place.

"When Marc Ratner retired as the Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director, and was about to start his new job with the UFC, I told him, 'Listen, you've got to come to Michigan,'" Donofrio recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "'We need the UFC in Michigan. I think it's a great market.' He said, 'We're coming there in two weeks to speak before the Senate committee.' I said, 'I'll be there.'"

A longtime boxing promoter, Donofrio saw the growing popularity of mixed martial arts and was hooked. He wanted to be involved, and he attended the hearing that would eventually result in the organization of the Michigan Unarmed Combat Commission to oversee the sport in the state.

Donofrio credits the UFC with helping Michigan regulators realize the importance of bringing the sport to the state, but he also feels the sport's biggest promotion may have added a few regulations that make true grassroots growth of professional MMA very difficult.

"It wasn't exactly as I hoped it would be," Donofrio admitted. "There were so many stipulations that would make it difficult for a small-time promoter to be successful. One of them was you have to have a minimum of 30 rounds (on a card), which would be 10 three-round fights. You can't have a pro-am card. The fee to do the show is $2,000 compared to $125 for boxing. And then the fighters have to have a CT scan and EKG, all that stuff.

"So it's kind of difficult for anybody to be profitable doing a professional show here in Michigan. That was probably by design."

Donofrio, who is the first to admit he's not a medical professional, thinks perhaps the extensive testing could be reserved for older fighters and those who have shown previous reason for concern. Nevertheless, the promoter admits fighter safety is of the utmost concern, and simply hopes the commission will at least revisit the fees one day in the future.

In the meantime, Donofrio is pleased that unlike a handful of states still looking to pass regulation, Michigan will no longer have to concern itself with unregulated events.

"I think the regulations in Michigan are pretty strict, but I think the rogue promoters need to be put in check," Donofrio said.

From Joes to pros

While Donofrio was waiting for the regulation of professional MMA in Michigan, he took to promoting amateur events. But before he put his product out for the public consumption, the promoter had to first envision it in his mind.

"If you see my show, I use the same stage as they do for rock concerts," Donofrio said. "I have that stage, and the fighters come up from behind. I've got all the lights, the smoke, the flames, the pyrotechnics. I've got all of that. They walk down the ramp to the cage. I've been doing that for three or four years.

"What I did, is about three or four years ago, the WWE was here at Ford Field. I went to watch them for one reason: to see how Vince McMahon does it. For them, it's all entertainment. But for me, I said, 'If I get into mixed martial arts, and I end up with some bad fights, I need to give people a night of entertainment.' So I did this big show. As it turned out, I had 11 fights, and they were all fantastic. So above and beyond doing a huge, big show, the fights were good. I got lucky."

Donofrio partnered his creative vision with that of a major venue, and he believes the relationship has been a key component of his success.

"I partnered with The Palace of Auburn Hills, which is where the Detroit Pistons play, and it was a very lenient financial arrangement," Donofrio said. "The kind of deal they did with me, they wouldn't do for anybody else. They're great, great people to work with, and it's an honorable building. The owners and the people that run it are honorable, straight-up people, and in this business of MMA, that helps me to be the best I can be."

Donofrio says giving back to the community is also a key factor toward becoming a successful and responsible business leader.

"I do several fundraisers for Leader Dogs for the Blind and Multiple Sclerosis," Donofrio said. "My next show, part of the proceeds are going to the Haitian victims."

Donofrio's next show, "Malice at The Palace," was to be his greatest achievement. Instead, in a twist that shows just how cutthroat the promoting world can be, he's been forced to play second fiddle.

"I had planned for this for three or four months to be the first pro show in Michigan, and to have it be a big show," Donofrio said. "In November, I announced that Jan. 30 was the opening date that I had, then these other guys decided to do a small show in a bar. It kind of took the wind out of my sail.

"They snuck in with the small show, and unfortunately, it's just something we have to live with."

The show must go on

Despite the setback, and as any promoter will tell you, the show must go on.

Donforio, who has drawn as many as 10,000 fans to his previous shows and expects a similar number on Saturday night, did just that. In the headlining role, Donofrio secured an experienced professional fighter and current TV host, Jimmy Smith (5-1) of the Discovery Channel's "Fight Quest."

Outside of the broadcasting realm, Smith is notable for his wins over "The Ultimate Fighter 9" winner James Wilks, fellow television personality Jason Chambers, and current MMA manager Matt Stansell.

"Smith is popular, and he's got his TV show," Donofrio said. "He's very well-known, and he speaks well. He presents himself well, and I needed to have a face to identify with the event on Saturday. I needed to have a spokesperson. That was him.

"We got a kid here in Michigan to face him that's real, real tough, and I think it's going to be an exceptional bout."

Time well tell if Donofrio is right, but there is little opportunity for him to worry about that now. With fight day rapidly approaching, there is still much to be done.

"I'm a one-man show, so it's been 60 days, from 7 a.m. to midnight, Monday to Sunday," Donofrio said. "The only time I take time off is to go to church on Sunday. I haven't seen my family in probably three weeks.

"Everything is on the backburner when I put on a show. My friends know not to call me. I'm on lockdown."

Donofrio isn't sure what the future holds for professional MMA in Michigan. With the UFC leading the charge for regulation, a return visit for the first time since UFC 9 in 1996 would seem a near certainty. But Donofrio believes he might continue his focus on amateur MMA as well, and he believes more promoters across the country should consider doing the same.

And it's not just promoters that Donofrio believes could benefit from the change.

"MMA is in its infancy stage right now," Donofrio said. "I've been doing boxing for years. When a boxer turns pro he could have between 20 and 150 amateur fights. You don't see that in MMA. I've got a kid an my card that just turned pro. He had one amateur fight. Is he ready to turn pro? He's a great fighter. But people that experience in the cage, there's some survival skills there.

"To me, and this is just my opinion, I think they should have a minimum of 10 amateur fights. That's just for the safety of the fighter. I might get booed and heckled when I say that, but I think some of these amateurs need a little more experience before turning pro."

While those changes may someday come, for now Donofrio will just worry about Saturday. Entering into his 16th MMA event, Donofrio insists he has yet to turn much of a profit – something aspiring promoters will certainly want to note. Instead, the veteran Michigan promoters says he's simply engaging in a labor of love.

"It's been a great undertaking and a great challenge," Donofrio said. "I know we won't make any money with this show, but we'll see where it goes. I'm looking forward to it.

"I think I've earned a good reputation for providing quality shows in both boxing and MMA. Mixed martial arts has been a challenge, but it's my passion."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC lightweight Gray Maynard: "I believe in me, and that's all that counts"

When it comes to pushing for his chance at a UFC lightweight title shot, top contender Gray Maynard (9-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) doesn't exactly live up to his nickname.

In fact, "The Bully" is quite content to watch Frankie Edgar (11-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) – a man Maynard defeated in April 2008 – take the next shot at B.J. Penn.

At 30 years old, but still developing into a complete mixed martial artist, Maynard is already back in the gym just a few weeks removed from his seventh-straight UFC win. And while he was seemingly passed up in favor of "The Answer," Maynard knows his day is coming.

"I just know I'm going to get a title shot," Maynard recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's going to come; I know it will happen. I've just got to keep working in the gym – keep training.

"I enjoy this stuff. I enjoy the sport. I think it will be a tough scrap, but I know it will come. I believe in me, and that's all that counts."

Edgar supporters point to a submission win over Matt Veach in December 2009, coupled with unanimous-decision wins over Sean Sherk and Hermes Franca, as the reason the New Jersey native was able to leapfrog over Maynard despite the head-to-head loss.

But during that same span of time, Maynard has unanimous-decision wins over Jim Miller and Rich Clementi, as well as victories over Diaz and Roger Huerta earned by split decision.

While some have deemed Edgar's wins "more impressive," Maynard argues his efforts have been equally solid.

"I look back on Huerta, and I didn't think it was a split," Maynard said. "Even with Nate, I didn't think it was a split. But ever since probably Edgar, I'm the guy who's always fighting the guys that no one wants.

"Edgar didn't have a loss. Jim is a tough fight for whoever he faces. Huerta, he was supposedly on the bad list, I guess. It's like you have to beat him, and he's a tough fight – a guy that keeps coming after you. Clementi, he beat Anthony Johnson and was on a good roll. Can't get anybody to go up against him? I'll take that fight. Nate Diaz, he's a dangerous opponent all the way around. All those are guys tough, tough guys. It's not like there's a bunch of dudes that are saying, 'I'll take that fight.' I will, though. I like those fights."

Maynard said despite being left out of the title mix for now, he'll continue to look for the most challenging fights available.

"I like to face tough guys," Maynard said. "That's what makes the camp good: planning it out, thinking, 'Alright, this is going to be a good fight.' That's what this sport is about, I think – pushing it to that test.

"Nate Diaz, he's got a long reach. Lefty. Good jiu-jitsu – black belt. I don't think anybody is going to run over Nate. It isn't just the fact that a win's a win, but it's constantly about learning. I like the guys who are tough, and the guys that make you come in with a plan. You've got to be prepared."

So with Maynard so confident in his skills, why didn't he make more of a plea for a shot at Penn?

"You've got to understand that I come from a camp with Randy Couture," Maynard said. "I've got Gil Martinez, who's not really the type of guy that talks a lot like, 'Oh, I'm the best coach ever.' I've got all these guys, and they tell me, 'Concentrate on Nate Diaz. Don't even worry about that stuff.' So it's hard to come up with a plan of like, 'Alright, what are we going to tell everybody after the fight?'

"You get done, and you're like, 'Alright, I just won.' You don't have a plan. I guess a lot of dudes do, but our plan was how to beat Nate."

So instead of booking a flight to the exotic destination of Abu Dhabi, Maynard will instead put his name back in the hat of lightweight contenders from which UFC matchmaker Joe Silva pulls his matchups. Perhaps former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk is on the horizon, or maybe a matchup with the winner of the March bout with Kenny Florian and Takanori Gomi, or even the February contest with George Sotiropoulos and Joe Stevenson.

Maynard refuses to speculate. Instead, he'll simply continue to develop his game while waiting for the title shot he knows in his heart and mind will eventually come.

"I have no regrets about not pressing for a title shot," Maynard said. "Now is the time I can come in the gym and learn new stuff. I do strength training three times a week in the morning. I do mitts, boxing, jiu-jitsu – just all the way around. It never stops.

"In this sport, you've got to learn. It's constantly changing, which is good. There's a lot of good guys, and you've got to keep up, or else you're going to get passed up. ... This is a job, and I love my job."

Feb 7, 2006
With first win under his belt, prospect Cole Konrad open to all future options

Two-time NCAA wrestling champion Cole Konrad (1-0) did not follow the usual path to fighting professionally in mixed martial arts.

Before Konrad ever had a fight, he was making a full-time living in the sport. The massive heavyweight earned his stripes as a paid training partner for Brock Lesnar while the current UFC heavyweight champion was busy making a splash in the sport.

Now Konrad, 25, is stepping out onto his own and aims to make a big impact with his 280-pound frame.

"I'm not doing this as a hobby; I'm doing it as a job," Konrad recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "It's something that I love."

Konrad earned back-to-back NCAA titles at the University of Minnesota as a junior and senior and went undefeated in both seasons. During his impressive collegiate run, Konrad also competed on the international circuit, where he won a gold medal at the 2005 Pan American Championships and a bronze at the 2006 World University Championships.

The former wrestler believes his international experience prepared him well for the rigors of fighting. Instead of facing unseasoned, early-twenties competitors over multi-meet seasons, he was scrapping with fully developed wrestlers in high stakes, one-and-done competitions.

"You constantly have to be on guard, and yet you always have to be in a good position," Konrad said of his international pedigree. "That obviously carries over to fighting. As soon as you drop your hands or get out of position, it can be over, especially against the good guys. That's something I learned in wrestling."

Konrad began working with Lesnar in college. Then on the road with the WWE, Lesnar had a hard time finding big guys to work out with and would drop by Konrad's wrestling room for sessions here and there.

When Lesnar announced his intention to become an MMA fighter in April 2006, Konrad was on his short list for training partners. Marty Morgan, Konrad's college wrestling coach, joined Greg Nelson of Minnesota Mixed Martial Arts as head coaches of the new team. Chris Tuchscherer, a 260-pound behemoth from Minnesota State University, added to the bulk.

"[Lesnar] had a huge influence on my life and how he goes about his life," Konrad said. "I've been pretty fortunate here. I've been training full-time MMA as a job without ever having to fight. I was just developing my skills because he was paying me as a training partner, and I was able to strictly do that as a career."

Konrad didn't want to rush into fighting. He didn't want to be a one-dimensional wrestler-turned-fighter cut from the early days of MMA. Instead, he wanted to be a real fighter.

"My gameplan was to get pretty well-rounded before I stepped in," Konrad said. "I was going to go a year-and-a-half until I stepped out there. I wanted to be well-rounded with submissions and on my feet.

"A big thing for wrestlers [is that] if you can get the takedown and stop the takedown, you've got to be pretty tough on your feet. If you do that, you can really dictate a fight."

Last summer, Konrad finally felt it was time to step into his own. However, getting a fight was another matter. After a half-year of near-misses, he got his first booking – a scrap against Gary Hamen in chilly Fargo, N.D.

It took just 73 seconds for Konrad to earn victory in his debut. Instinct trumped game plan. Konrad clinched, took Hamen to the ground and used brute strength to apply what has been called a "polar bear choke" (according to Lesnar's terminology) for a tapout.

"That was basically just a rear-naked choke," Konrad said with a laugh. "Brock calls it that when we're in practice because he just calls me 'the polar bear,' and I go head-hunting a lot.

"I wish, in hindsight, I would have stood up a little bit and banged and see how my hands were working in that situation. But there will be plenty more fights to work on that part of my game."

Konrad has no concrete plans for what lies ahead in his fight career. His management has spoken with promotions in Japan as well as Bellator and Strikeforce, but he's not rushing to call out any names. But he is in the game to win a championship.

"I'm open to whatever options come my way," Konrad said. "I'm not looking to just stall my way out and get a bunch of easy fights. Whatever comes up, I'll be open to it."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 109's Mark Coleman thought his chance at glory had passed him by

After Mark Coleman (16-9 MMA, 7-4 UFC) was forced to withdraw from a co-main event fight with Tito Ortiz at UFC 106, the former UFC and PRIDE champion thought he'd slid down to the first rung of the ladder.

Coleman assumed his next fight would be against a young up-and-comer – maybe it would even be a preliminary fight. Maybe he'd take that oh-so-happy label for veteran fighters: a gatekeeper.

That was not the case. Coleman was at dinner with his daughters in Columbus, Ohio, when he got a text message from UFC matchmaker Joe Silva. Did he want to fight Randy Couture (17-10 MMA, 14-7 UFC) at UFC 109?

"I must admit, I was in shock for a little bit," Coleman said Thursday on a teleconference promoting his fight with Couture next Saturday at UFC 109. "I had to take a couple of seconds to regroup because I knew the magnitude of that fight."

It's not like the matchup was a novel idea for "The Hammer." Ever since he'd won the UFC heavyweight championship in 1997, almost every fan that approached him had one question: "When are you going to fight Randy Couture?"

And Silva wasn't the only one with the bright idea. The UFC's previous owners had put the fight together for UFC 17 back in May 1998, with the event named "Redemption" in tribute to Coleman's road back to the title after stumbling against Maurice Smith at UFC 14.

But Couture pulled out of the fight when he injured his rib preparing for a wrestling tournament, and Pete Williams stepped in and delivered a shot heard 'round the world when he laid Coleman out with a head kick.

From then until Silva's phone call this past November, Coleman and Couture lived many highs and lows in the burgeoning sport and greeted each other with a smile and handshake in the corridors of arenas around the world.

Coleman regained glory in 2000 by winning the PRIDE Grand Prix but struggled to balance family time and evolve as a fighter. After several lackluster performances and long layoffs, he struggled to maintain relevance.

Couture, meanwhile, deepened his stride with some of the most iconic performances in the sport's history and won title matches in the light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions. "The Natural" has walked into the cage a total of nine times as a champion.

Both earned their way into the UFC's Hall of Fame, but when Coleman came back to the octagon this past January, he was once again looking for redemption.

The former NCAA Division I champion said the growth of his daughters gave him permission to train like he needed to for a fight.

"That was the biggest reason I was able to get out of Ohio," Coleman told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "When they were younger, I really couldn't stand leaving Columbus, and I couldn't stand leaving my kids. I was always concerned about who was going to be watching them and who was going to be taking care of them.

"In hindsight, maybe I probably should [have left sooner], but I'll never have regrets. I got to see them grow up; I got to see them compete in gymnastics and basketball and softball, and that's the highlight of my life."

After a disastrous trial run at UFC 93 against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Coleman went to Las Vegas and assembled a camp for his next fight against Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100. There would be no distractions, just training, and Couture's flagship gym played host for several sessions.

Against all odds, Coleman triumphed over Bonnar by unanimous decision in a vintage performance, but he was not given a post-fight speech due to time restraints.

Coleman will enter Saturday's fight again as the underdog, though he said he's not surprised that oddsmakers favor Couture.

"It's just kind of what I deserve," Coleman said. "I deserve to be the underdog with my performances in the past. I haven't always been able to give 100 percent to the sport. I've had other things I've had to focus on – or I've decided to focus on other things."

But with his focus now renewed, Coleman said he should not be counted out.

"If I'm able to put a good camp together and I can come in shape, I pose a threat to just about anybody out there," Coleman said.

The two Hall-of-Fame fighters met on the wrestling mats at the 1989 Olympic Wrestling Festival at powerhouse Oklahoma State University and remember the match well. Coleman won by one point.

"We were banging pretty hard with each other," Coleman recalled. "He brought it to me and at the time I was giving it back. It was a very close match. I remember him being very strong, and kind of like he fights, he was in my face the whole time.

"He gave me an accidental headbutt during the match and I had to get two stitches under my chin after the fight. So maybe I owe him a little headbutt during this one here."

The 45-year-old Coleman has faced as many questions about his age as a potential matchup with Couture. But the two share the philosophy that no matter the ups and downs and wins and losses, there's nothing to do but soldier on.

"If losing a fight is the worst thing that happens to you in your life, you're doing pretty well," Coleman said. "I don't know any other way but to come back and fix what was wrong and try to make it right.

"You'd be a loser if you stayed down."

And though Coleman admits it might be a good idea to once again turn the microphone off following next Saturday's fight, "The Hammer" said he will enjoy his time in the spotlight and be happy to take his due.

"Hopefully there will be a little time, win or lose, to at least say a few words," Coleman said. "Hopefully it will be after a win. But either way, it's going to be a nice center stage for me, a good chance for me to get back in the public eye and reap some benefits of all the training I've done over the last 30, 35 years."

Feb 7, 2006
ROGERIO VS. MACHIDA ISN'T OUT OF THE QUESTION

Just when Mike Swick was pointing out the pitfalls of fighting one of his American Kickboxing Academy teammates, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Lyoto Machida’s manager discussed how his clients could potentially wind up across each other in the Octagon.

"(Rogerio) wants what every other light heavyweight wants in that category and that's he wants a belt,” said Ed Soares. “Whatever fight is going to be, put him up a little bit closer towards that title shot, that's where he wants to be, that's who he wants to fight."

It turns out Nogueira is expected to face former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin at UFC 113 on May 8 in Montreal. A win over a former champion surely would “put him a little bit closer towards that title shot.”

Despite Nogueira and Machida being Black House teammates, Soares believes a battle over the belt would be enough for the two to face each other, not out of any disparagement, but out of respect.

"They both want the same thing. Lyoto wants to keep his belt and Rogerio wants it. We'll cross that bridge when it comes, but I think when push comes to shove if that fight was to come up, I think they'd fight each other. They're friends they respect each other very much," Soares told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

"At the end of the day, they both want one thing. If the only way is that they're going to have to fight, like I said, we'll cross that bridge when it comes, but I think it could happen."

Nogueira, of course, first has to get past Griffin, which is no small task.

Machida also has his own hurdle to cross, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua. Machida and Rua fought once before, at UFC 104 last October, with the champ earning a controversial unanimous decision. Many felt that Rua should have gotten the nod, and UFC president Dana White granted an immediate rematch.

There are other contenders in the mix as well; fighters like Rashad Evans, Quinton Jackson, Jon Jones, and even another teammate, middleweight champ Anderson Silva.

But if each wins his next bout, another section of the bridge between Machida and Nogueira will be in place.

Feb 7, 2006
HIERON/RIGGS WINNER LIKELY TO GET TITLE SHOT

Strikeforce is crowing a new welterweight champion this Saturday night when Nick Diaz battles current Dream champion Marius Zaromskis, but what's next for the winner of that fight?

"It's going to be a great fight and Jay (Hieron) will fight the winner," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said about the next No. 1 contender.

Obviously, Hieron first has to get past Joe Riggs on Saturday night as well, and Coker says that should Riggs win he will likely slide into the top spot for a title shot instead.

The other concern for the upcoming fight is what if Zaromskis wins? Will Strikeforce run into another Alistair Overeem situation where the fighter has other obligations and won't be back to defend his belt?

Coker assures fans this won't be the case for Zaromskis who has a contract directly with Strikeforce, and says that should he win he is contractually obligated to defend the belt twice per year.

Feb 7, 2006
RANDY COUTURE WOULD WELCOME TITLE SHOT

There is no doubt that Randy Couture is a legend in the sport of MMA. From his status as a UFC Hall of Famer to his multiple reigns as both heavyweight and light heavyweight champion, Couture continues to defy the odds at age 46.

Going into the fight against Mark Coleman in the main event of UFC 109, Couture is again willing to push himself to the next level, and that next level may be a title shot in the future.

Rumors have swirled for weeks that the winner of the fight between Couture and Coleman could find himself square in the crosshairs of a title shot against the winner of Lyoto Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. It's an opportunity that Couture says he'd accept with open arms.

"That would be cool, I would love to fight either one of those guys," he said about a possible title shot. "Mark's already fought Shogun, I certainly think they're top guys in the weight class. Machida's walking around with the belt right now so he's certainly got a big target on his back."

Stepping into the fight with Coleman, Couture is making his second appearance at light heavyweight after dropping back-to-back fights in the heavyweight division. Still, the Las Vegas based fighter doesn't hesitate to say if the right fight came along, he'd go back to his old stomping ground.

"You've kind of got to go where opportunity is and if something else presents itself back at the heavyweight division then I'm certainly going to entertain that," Couture commented.

At the present time, Couture is just worried about fighting Coleman on Feb. 6, and if he gets the win then he'll see what the future holds for him.

"I'm not looking past Mark," said Couture. "I'm going to focus, kind of put the finishing touches on camp here, and bringing everything together and be ready to go here in a little over a week."

Feb 7, 2006
DREAM LIGHTWEIGHTS HEADED TO STRIKEFORCE

When Gilbert Melendez defeated Josh Thomson to win the Strikeforce lightweight title, the announcement was made that same night that the idea for his next opponent was for top ranked Japanese fighter Shinya Aoki to come stateside and fight for the belt.

That still seems to be the plan according to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, who says that because of their working relationship with Dream, they plan on more top lightweights coming to Strikeforce as well.

"We're looking to bring other guys into our league for sure," Coker said. "Like the Aoki's, the Kawajiri's, or JZ (Calvancante), or maybe even Joachim Hansen. These are the guys we want to have in our league for sure. We're going to keep building that lightweight division.

"I guess the way I feel is if a guy like Aoki is available and he can fight your guy, Gilbert, your champion, why wouldn't you put that fight together?"

Feb 7, 2006
Pat Barry vs. Gilbert Yvel in works for UFC 115

It appears as though fans of affable heavyweight Pat Barry will get a chance to see the New Orleans native step back into the Octagon against fellow kickboxer Gilbert Yvel this June at UFC 115 in Vancouver.

The news was reported by the Las Vegas Sun which confirmed both camps are close to signing paperwork required to make the bout official.

Barry was most recently seen scoring an emotional win over Antoni Hardonk at UFC 104 last October which landed him both “Fight of the Night” and “Knockout of the Night” honors, while Yvel will be looking to get back on the winning track inside the iconic eight-sided cage after succumbing to Junior dos Santos’ strikes at UFC 108.

Both men are known for their striking as evidenced by all five of Barry’s wins coming by way of TKO and thirty-one of Yvel’s thirty-six wins being procured in the same manner.

Feb 7, 2006
Sengoku: Marlon Sandro back at March 7

Former Pancrase champion, Marlon Sandro will be back to Sengoku’s rings on March 7th. According to the fighter, who suffered the only loss in a controversial decision in 2009, he’s training hard at Nova União camp focused in the return, but he doesn’t know who’s gonna be his opponent yet. “I would fight for the title, but Kanehara got hurt. They’re still looking for an opponent to face me”, Sandro said. Another Nova União fighter that will be back to Sengoku in the same event is Leonardo Santos, who doesn’t fight since the unanimous decision loss in his debut at the event.