MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
UFC planning a return trip to Brazil, but event in the Philippines on hold

Despite the country producing many of the world's top fighters, Brazil hasn't hosted a UFC event in more than a decade.

However, that could soon change.

UFC president Dana White said the UFC is actively planning for an upcoming event that will take place in Brazil while also acknowledging that an event expected to take place in the Philippines is now on hold.

To date the UFC has held just one event in Brazil: UFC Ultimate Brazil (also known as UFC 17.5) at Ginasio da Portuguesa in Sao Paulo. The October 1998 event, which marked the promotional debuts of fighters such as Pedro Rizzo and Wanderlei Silva, drew a solid audience of 8,500, which was the fourth largest crowd of the 21 UFC events held until that point.

But the UFC never again returned to the country, which has produced the likes of current UFC fighters Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Demian Maia, Gabriel Gonzaga and others.

"I don't know what date yet (for an event), but what we're starting to do is ramp up down in Brazil right now," White said prior to this weekend's UFC 102 event. "We just hired this big PR firm. We got a television deal down there. The ratings are kicking ass."

White believes that a country that's produced so many superstars deserves to see the natives in action.

"We're going to start getting a lot of these guys that deserve to be seen and known by the Brazilian fans," he said. "That's what we're working on now. That's our footprint. We go in there, we start on free television, and then we bring a live event down."

However, one country that used that formula is now in a bit of holding pattern.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, the UFC launched a goodwill tour through the Philippines in 2008. After putting the UFC on television, a fan base was created.

In fact, Brandon Vera, whose father Ernesto is Filipino, held an open workout in the country in 2008, and it drew 10,000 attendees. Liddell drew just as many when he held a similar event a month later.

"The UFC was like, 'I can't believe there's this many people here,'" Vera said. "They said they arranged this in 10 days, and this is how many people showed up."

But despite the promising early results, White recently said the Philippines event is on hold.

The country was initially expected to get an event this year, but he said a worldwide financial crisis made the organization reassess its travel plans.

"We were going to go to the Philippines," White said. "We had a deal done to go to the Philippines, and then when the world collapsed, the sponsors that were going to help us get down there, everything fell apart. Nobody has any money anymore. It's a lot trickier to figure out how to navigate throughout the world without money."

The UFC doesn't have any specific dates in mind for either Brazil or the Philippines, though White said a lot of the 2010 schedule will be determined in the next few months.

Feb 7, 2006
Following UFC 102 win over Krzysztof Soszynski, Brandon Vera staying quiet – for now

PORTLAND, Ore. – Remember Brandon Vera (11-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC), the brash striker that claimed he would be a UFC champion in both the light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions?

Well, these days the 31-year-old has accepted "The Truth," and a 1-3 stretch in 2007 and 2008 led Vera to quiet down his bold claims and focus more on proper preparation and training.

But after a unanimous decision win over Krzyszof Soszynski at this past Saturday's UFC 102 event in Portland, Ore., Vera told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he's hoping to build a win streak that will allow him to again call out the top talent in two divisions.

"I lost some stuff," Vera said. "I lost my [expletive]-talking ability when I went on my downward spiral. But I am back on my way, and I'm [expletive] hurting right now. I'm training like I never trained before. I've got great training partners."

Vera came in to Saturday's contest in peak physical condition, and his takedown defense and evasive footwork were on full display. Vera said it's a set of skills he's always had, he just hadn't had the chance to utilize the techniques prior to Saturday's win.

"It's always been there," Vera said. "Nobody knows about my ground game and my wrestling game and my takedown defense and offense. You guys really don't know about it because I haven't had to show it.

"And I enjoy standing. A lot of UFC fans love to see a standup fight, and standup is beautiful."

A seasoned striker, Vera said he enjoys focusing on those techniques despite his ability to win a fight on the floor.

"When people [strike] right, it looks like ballet," Vera said. "Any time you get two guys that know what they're doing, and they do beautiful standup together, it's like ballet.

"The UFC crowd is becoming more and more educated, so I wouldn't mind being on the ground, either. But I'm not initiating the takedown unless it's there. I'm not going to set up to take you down. If we go and we clinch and it's there, I'll take you down. But I'm not going to force the takedown ever. I won't."

But if striking is like ballet, Vera was admittedly no Baryshnikov on Saturday night. "The Truth" said that's because he was focusing on perfecting a new range of techniques.

"It was I guess trying to fight southpaw," Vera said. "Being in a southpaw stance, making it happen from that stance, imagine learning to fight in six weeks. When we found out we were fighting Krzysztof, we decided, '[Expletive] it; let's fight him southpaw.' I'm not worried about him coming after me. I'm not worried about him taking me down. I'm not worried about anything. Let's fight him southpaw, and let's see what happens.

"There isn't a better opponent to try it against then Krzysztof. He's durable. He's tough. He's going to keep coming forward. With everybody you have to worry about getting knocked out, but I wouldn't have tried that [expletive] on Anderson Silva. So it worked, and it didn't work at the same time. I landed some beautiful combinations, some good stuff. I tried some new things."

While it may not have been pretty, it was successful. Vera has now won two-straight contests in the UFC, and he says he's working to get back to the spot he filled as a hot prospect that won the first four contests of his UFC career.

"Right now, in the position I'm in, I can't call anybody out," Vera said. "I've got to take who they give me. But as soon as I get back in that spot where I can start talking [expletive], you're going to hear it again."

Feb 7, 2006
Featherweight contenders Diego Nunes and L.C. Davis to meet at November's WEC 44 show

A quickly filling WEC 44 card will apparently have a new and notable addition; undefeated lightweight contender Diego Nunes (13-0 MMA, 2-0 WEC) vs. L.C. Davis (14-2 MMA, 1-0 WEC).

A source close to one of the fighters told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) verbal agreements are in place but bout agreements not signed. WEC officials could not confirm the matchup.

Although not officially announced, WEC 44 is expected to take place Nov. 11 at a location and venue to be determined.

WEC featherweight champ Mike Brown meets Jose Aldo in the night's main event.

Nunes, who debuted with the WEC in late 2008, looks for his third straight victory in the organization and his 14th win overall. The 26-year-old Brazilian has topped both Cole Province and Rafael Dias via unanimous decision since the promotional debut. Prior to joining the WEC, Nunes had posted 11 consecutive victories via stoppage (10 in the first round).

Davis, meanwhile, looks to build off his split-decision victory over Javier Vazquez in his WEC debut, which came at WEC 42 earlier this month. The 28-year-old IFL, Affliction and Sengoku veteran is 5-1 in his past six fights.

The latest WEC card now includes:

* Champ Mike Brown vs. Jose Aldo (for WEC featherweight title)*
* Rob McCullough vs. Anthony Pettis*
* L.C. Davis vs. Diego Nunes*
* John Franchi vs. Cub Swanson*

* - Not officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
After earning fastest knockout in UFC history, Todd Duffee focused on different record

PORTLAND, Ore. – Six months of build-up for UFC newcomer Todd Duffee (5-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) turned into just seven seconds of work.

After signing with the UFC way back in February, Duffee had to wait until this past Saturday's UFC 102 in Portland, Ore., to make his UFC debut.

And while the 23-year-old dispatched of Tim Hague in just seven seconds – the quickest knockout in UFC history – Duffee told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that's not the record he's most concerned with.

"Yes, I'm young, but I want to build my record," Duffee said. "I want a legit record, and I want to do it at this level."

After the impressive performance Duffee put on during the evening's preliminary card, he certainly won't have a problem getting another crack in the UFC. Duffee said he hopes that chance comes quickly, as he really didn't get a chance to truly evaluate his game on the sport's biggest stage.

"You can't evaluate that performance," Duffee said. "[Hague] didn't give me a chance to prove myself like I really wanted to come out and do tonight. This was supposed to be my coming-out party."

Of course, the record-setting knockout will serve at least one purpose.

"I think it definitely helped build the hype machine that's already been behind me – unwarranted, I felt like," Duffee said. "I feel like now we're getting there, but I still feel like I need to go out there and get tested.

"But it did feel great."

Duffee said he wouldn't complain if he continued to get quick wins – who would – but he hopes to soon find himself in the type of fight that could push him to his physical limits.

"I haven't been tested in a war," Duffee said. "I want that.

"Yeah, I want every fight to end in five seconds with my hand raised. Everyone does. But, I'm in this to find out about myself. You find out something new about yourself every time."

Duffee already passed one test, working his way through the "octagon jitters" often felt by incoming talent in their first trip to the cage. In fact, the HardCore Gym and American Top Team prospect said he never felt even the least bit nervous.

"I was very, very calm the entire time (before the fight) – shockingly calm," Duffee said. "I got even calmer the closer it got. I actually had to hype myself up because I like to be a little nervous before a fight. I want to be the underdog."

About the only thing that went badly for the youngster was main-card fighter Nate Marquardt stealing away a potential "Knockout of the Night" award and the $60,000 check that accompanies it. Instead, Duffee will have to settle for a place in the history books of the UFC, a spot the heavyweight almost feels embarrassed to occupy.

"To me, my performance wasn't any more impressive than what Gabriel Gonzaga came out and did tonight," Duffee said. "And it's definitely not any more impressive than Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. That's historical.

"Those guys are history. What I did, it's just a statistic, and it will be broken."

With a win that surely earned the previously little-known heavyweight a legion of new followers, Duffee will now get back in line for another trip to the cage.

"I'm not asking to fight Jesus tomorrow, and I'm not asking to fight anybody in particular," Duffee said. "I just want the opportunity to shut down the critics like anybody would."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC president Dana White admits pricing structure led to less-than-expected UFC 102 gate

PORTLAND, Ore. – One of the prevailing story lines surrounding Saturday's UFC 102 in Portland, Ore., was the slower-than-expected ticket sales for the UFC's debut in the Pacific Northwest.

In the end, the event attracted more than 16,000 fans for a $1.92 million gate – a figure White was told by officials ranked among the top-five gates ever at the Rose Garden.

But for a company that's used to jaw-dropping, record-setting attendance marks, the figures were a slight disappointment. Following the event, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he felt his company dropped the ball by over-pricing tickets in the struggling Portland market.

"I'm my own worst critic, and I got a lot of [expletive] critics, believe me," White said. "I'm a little disappointed that we missed the mark on this thing. I think as great as we did, we could have done better."

While the $1.92 million gate tops several recent European events as well as U.S.-based UFC Fight Night events, the gate total was the organization's smallest reported U.S.-based pay-per-view event figure since March's "UFC 96: Jackson vs. Jardine" event netted only $1.8 million.

White said he was disappointed the event didn't break the venue's gate record – a mark the company is used to shattering when it visits a new locale – and the UFC exec blames his company's pricing structure for the shortfall.

"I'm pissed off that we're not the No. 1 gate in the history of this place," White said. "That bums me out because I think we could have done it had we dialed it in right. But we're going a million miles an hour, jumping on all these things.

"I've got this thing priced, ticket-wise, for the same price I've got L.A. priced for. [Expletive] stupid. We messed up here. I'm a little bummed out about that."

Despite White's own frustrations, the UFC head said local officials had nothing but praise for the organization's efforts.

"We missed the mark here," White said. "But listen, one of the reporters from here just came up to me and said, 'Let me tell you what – I want to tell you how proud I am of you. There isn't anything that comes in here and does what you guys did tonight financially and with getting bodies here.'

"The people from Nike were here tonight. All the big top-dogs from Nike were like, 'You don't come to a sporting event in Portland and see all these women here.' Everybody's telling me how successful this thing was and how great it was, but to me, I know personally we missed it and we could have done better."

White said while his company has proven to be one of the most recession-proof organizations in today's economy, he understands that entering new markets may force the UFC to lower some of its ticket prices in an effort to entice potential buyers.

But White insists that cut in price won't reflect a drop in talent on the events.

"The one thing that I do is I believe that when the UFC comes to town, people who are laying their money down, whether it's buying tickets or buying pay per view or you're just watching it on free TV, you [expletive] know we're going to deliver," White said. "We're going to bring in good fights with good talent, and we're going to make it happen."

And despite the negative attention toward what still ended up being a solid financial venture, White said he will remember the evening as a success.

"We didn't sell it out like I think we should have, but it was a great night," White said. "Like I said, in saying that, it's still one of the top-five gates in history here."

And while the building might not have been full, White said he was amazed by the noise produced by the 16,088 in attendance.

"I've been to a lot of loud UFC fights," White said. "That was like concert loud.

"My ears are still ringing. That was really cool."

Feb 7, 2006
"The Spider's" camp calls for Marquardt vs. Henderson; Silva willing to wait for result

PORTLAND, Ore. – While many observers felt Saturday's UFC 102 contest between Nate Marquardt (29-8-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) and Demian Maia (10-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) was an unofficial No. 1 contender's contest, the next challenger for middleweight champ Anderson Silva (25-4 MMA, 10-0 UFC) remains unclear.

Marquardt impressively dispatched of Maia in just 21 seconds and picked up the Portland, Ore., event's "Knockout of the Night" in the process.

But following the event, UFC president Dana White wasn't quite ready to schedule Marquardt vs. Silva II, and Silva's camp told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that they feel the organization should go in a different direction.

"I think [Marquardt] looked great tonight, obviously," White said. "Those are the kind of punches you see in movies. That stuff usually isn't real – video games or something. It was an unbelievable shot. He looked great, and I've got to figure this thing out now.

"I've got to figure this thing out and think about it. Obviously [Marquardt and Dan Henderson] are both in the mix for a title shot against Anderson."

Silva's manager, Ed Soares, echoed White's praise of Marquardt and said he believes "The Great" should face UFC 100 winner Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) to determine who will next face the Brazilian champ.

"[Silva] wants to fight the biggest fights possible," Soares said. "Right now, I think Nate Marquardt had a great fight tonight. I think the fight that should happen is Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Henderson for the No. 1 title contender. That's what I believe."

Silva has previously bested both fighters, submitting Henderson in March 2008 and earning a TKO win over Marquardt in July 2007.

The humble Marquardt, who's gone 4-1 since the loss to Silva – a stretch that includes three-straight wins and a controversial loss to Thales Leites – said he's open to all options.

"I don't really care who I fight next," Marquardt said. "I want to fight the best opponents, and I feel like I'm going to get my shot when it's time – when it's my time.

"[A title shot with Silva] doesn't have to be next. I'd be glad if it was next, but whatever is next, I'm excited for it."

The one sticking point might be Henderson, who at a UFC Fan Club Q&A session on Friday said he would prefer to move up to light heavyweight if a middleweight title shot wasn't next in line.

"If I don't get the title shot right now at 185 – [Silva] is the only guy I want to fight at 185 (pounds)," Henderson said. "Beyond that, I would probably go up to 205 (pounds) if I don't fight Anderson at 185.

"I like fighting at 205 (pounds). More of a challenge for me, I guess."

Henderson will have to buy in, but if White can arrange the contest between "Hollywood" and Marquardt, Soares said Silva will be happy to sit back and wait for the result of the fight if necessary.

"We'll take a rest," Soares said. "We've fought twice this year."

Of course, the Brazilian will also consider all available options.

"He's got three fights left on his contract," Soares said. "Who knows.

"If the right opportunity comes up – he wants to work out a few little kinks and bruises that he's got. We're not too sure. [Silva] wants to take a little break, though."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 102 bonuses: Nogueira, Couture, Marquardt and Rosholt earn $60,000 fighter bonuses

PORTLAND, Ore. – Headliners Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Randy Couture earned "Fight of the Night" honors, Nate Marquardt earned a "Knockout of the Night" bonus check, and Jake Rosholt was awarded the "Submission of the Night" at Saturday's UFC 102 event.

Each competitor earned a $60,000 bonus check with the UFC's traditional post-show bonus program.

UFC president Dana White announced the winners and figures at a post-UFC 102 press conference attended by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

UFC 102 took place at the Rose Garden Arena in Portland, Ore., and aired on pay-per-view.

Nogueira and Couture, both looking to rebound from recent title losses, took headliner roles in the event, which was the UFC's first in the Pacific Northwest. Nogueira had the edge standing and on the ground and ultimately delivered Couture, an Oregon native, a unanimous-decision loss via scores of 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28.

Marquardt earned his bonus check with a stunning 21-second knockout of fellow middleweight contender Demian Maia. Prior to the fight, White said the winner would have to post an impressive performance to get a title shot.

Doing just that was the Team Jackson fighter, who blasted Maia with a right hand that sent him airborne and face first into the mat. The loss was the first of Maia's career and could earn Marquardt a second shot at Anderson Silva's middleweight belt.

Although White called the Marquardt selection a "no-brainer," he had some serious competition from preliminary-card fighter Todd Duffee, who scored the quickest knockout in UFC history with a seven-second TKO of Tim Hague on the night's preliminary card. Ultimately, though, his record-setting performance failed to win the lucrative award.

Rosholt, meanwhile, earned the submission bonus thanks to his third-round arm-triangle choke of crowd favorite Chris Leben. The three-time NCAA Division I national wrestling champion showed an improve stand-up game but ultimately forced Leben into unconsciousness with the submission.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 102 MEDICAL SUSPENSIONS

The Oregon State Athletic Commission on Sunday released medical suspensions following Saturday's UFC 102 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore.

Twelve fighters were given suspensions above the state's mandatory seven day term.

Portland resident Ed Herman received the most serious term. He is suspended indefinitely for a knee injury he sustained in the second round of his fight with Aaron Simpson on the event's undercard.

Here is a complete list of fighters on the disabled list:

Randy Couture: Suspended for 30 days
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: Suspended for 30 days

Keith Jardine: Suspended for 30 days
Thiago Silva: Suspended for 7 days

Chris Leben: Suspended for 30 days. He must have a CT scan of facial bones to rule out fracture.
Jake Rosholt: Suspended for 7 days

Demian Maia: Suspended for 21 days
Nate Marquardt: Suspended for 7 days

Krzysztof Soszynski: Suspended for 30 days (Laceration)
Brandon Vera: Suspended for 7 days

Ed Herman: Suspended indefinitely for injury to left knee. Referred to doctor for MRI.
Aaron Simpson: Suspended 7 days

Chris Tuchscherer: Suspended for 45 days (Laceration)
Gabriel Gonzaga: Suspended for 7 days

Justin McCully: Suspended for 30 days (Referred to emergency room for evaluation of left eye)
Mike Russow: Suspended for 7 days

Tim Hague: Suspended for 60 days
Todd Duffee: Suspended for 7 days

Mark Munoz: Suspended for 30 days (Right elbow sprain)
Nick Catone: Suspended for 7 days

Marcus Aurelio: Suspended for 14 days
Evan Dunham: Suspended for 7 days

Feb 7, 2006
STRIKEFORCE RISING STAR JAMES TERRY

As the war for established talent continues to heat up between Strikeforce and the UFC, the development of young talent could be key in the future continued success of both companies.

Among the next generation of stars coming up through the Strikeforce ranks is welterweight Cung Le product James Terry.

A former champion in the smaller Cage Combat promotion, Terry debuted for Strikeforce earlier this year, and has won both his fights for the company, including a second straight victory over Zak Bucia on the undercard of the Aug. 15 Showtime: Carano vs. Cyborg.

“I thought I performed well,” Terry told MMAWeekly.com of his win. “I didn’t get injured, and my opponent didn’t get injured. I won with a spectacular knockout, so I’m excited.”

As Terry points out, while he’s happy his performance made him a standout for the evening, it was just as important to get a win like that for the sake of his career.

“I think definitely it’s important at Strikeforce for me to impress the promoters, but at the same time, in my career I’ve had just five decisions in seven wins. For me in Strikeforce, my future there and in my career to grow as a fighter (it was important) to get that finish,” he stated.

“Show myself that I can be confident in my striking, because if I am confident, look what happens.”

Terry hopes to return to action before the end of the year against increasingly difficult opposition, like who he was originally slated to face on Aug. 15.

“I have a contract for two more fights with Strikeforce, but nothing was discussed who my future opponent would be,” commented Terry.

“I was supposed to fight Jason Von Flue, but it was changed at the last minute because he broke his orbital bone in a previous fight like three weeks before the Strikeforce event. Maybe if he heals up, I’ll fight him, but really I honestly haven’t heard anything.”

Terry reiterates that it’s time for him to take the next step up, so it may be tougher competition or nothing in his mind.

“I don’t know who the up and coming fighters are in my weight class,” he admitted. “I focus on myself and the things I’m going to do.

“I obviously know the top-notch guys in Strikeforce from 170-180 (pounds), and I’m definitely looking to step it up and fight tougher competition and get up to the big show where I’m fighting in main events for title contention.”

The coming years could begin to see the shift of veteran fighters stepping away from the spotlight and the next generation stepping into it.

If Strikeforce wishes continued success if that future comes true, it will need the services of Terry and his contemporaries.

“I’d like to thank BR Flooring, Ameritech Capital, Key Chiropractic, MTP Release, and GFY Gear,” he concluded. “I’ll be back this year and looking to improve on the performance I had in my last fight, and I’m going to step up in competition as well.”

Feb 7, 2006
Soares: Handshake Deal Brings Lil' Nog to UFC

Ed Soares was as proud as can be in the post-fight press conference at UFC 102. With client and friend Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira a few feet away giving interviews about his victory over Randy Couture at Saturday's event in Portland, Ore., it was a good night for the manager.

Next to Rodrigo was twin brother Rogerio, a pint smaller than former Pride and UFC heavyweight champion. Rodrigo promised "Lil' Nog" was UFC bound in the pre-fight buildup, and while Soares said the deal wasn't done, it was all but certain to see the light heavyweight Nogueira in the cage by year's end.

"He's gonna be with the UFC," said Soares. "I don't know when he is going to fight. I believe he is going to fight by the end of the year. They haven't announced anything, but Nogueira said it in the press conference.

"The deal's not completely finalized, but Dana and I shook on it already, so the deal's done, we're just working out the details."

The characteristically tight-lipped Soares did not mention any potential opponents for Rogerio. There are, however, a multitude of tough match-ups waiting. All that's left is the details.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 102 fighters salaries: Nogueira ($400K) and Couture ($250K) top $1.285 million payroll

Headliners Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ($400,000) and Randy Couture ($250,000) were the top earners at this past Saturday's UFC 102 event and combined for 51 percent of the night's $1,285,000 payroll.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) requested the event's official fighters salaries, and the Oregon State Athletic Commission recently released them.

UFC 102 took place Aug. 29 at the Rose Garden Arena in Portland, Ore., and aired on pay-per-view.

The next-highest earner actually came from the night's preliminary card. Former top UFC heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga earned $120, 000 ($60,000 of which was a win bonus). Gonzaga defeated UFC newcomer Chris Tuchscherer in an un-aired bout.

Te full disclosed payroll for UFC 102 included:

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: $400,000 (includes $150,000 bonus)
def. Randy Couture: $250,000

Thiago Silva: $58,000 ($29,000 win bonus)
def. Keith Jardine: $55,000

Jake Rosholt: $26,000 ($13,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Leben: $30,000

Nate Marquardt: $80,000 ($40,000 win bonus)
def. Demian Maia: $28,000

Brandon Vera: $70,0000 ($35,000 win bonus)
def. Krzysztof Soszynski: $8,000

Aaron Simpson: $18,000 ($9,000 win bonus)
def. Ed Herman: $24,000

Gabriel Gonzaga: $120,000 ($60,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Tuchscherer: $10,000

Mike Russow: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
def. Justin McCully: $15,000

Todd Duffee: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus)
def. Tim Hague: $7,000

Mark Munoz: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus)
def. Nick Catone: $5,000

Evan Dunham: $14,000 ($7,000 win bonus)
def. Marcus Aurelio: $13,000

Now, the usual disclaimer: The figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. They also do not include any other "locker room" or special bonuses the UFC oftentimes pays.

For example, as discussed above, the figures above do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The UFC awarded $60,000 each to Nogueira and Couture (Fight of the Night), Marquardt (KO of the Night) and Rosholt (Submission of the Night).

In other words, the above salary figures are simply base salaries reported to the commission and do not reflect entire compensation packages for the event.

Feb 7, 2006
Despite UFC 102 headliner, White reiterates no interest in five-round non-title fights

If you thought Saturday's Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Randy Couture UFC 102 main event fight might have swayed Dana White to change his mind and allow five-round non-title fights in the UFC, think again.

Although the Nevada State Athletic Commission has officially opened the door for non-title five-rounders, the UFC won't be using the option.

White admits that while watching Nogueira navigate his way to a decision victory at the Rose Garden Arena in Portland, Ore., he thought about it. But the purist in him wants to keep five-round fights strictly for championship bouts.

"I was saying [last week] I wish this was a five-round fight, Nogueira and Couture, and there's been other fights, too, that I've wished were five rounds," White said prior to UFC 102. "But I'm a purist, man. Title fights are five rounds. When you fight for the title, it's five rounds."

Earlier this month the NSAC approved the use of five-round bouts for non-title fights. While the news got a lot of play, few realized that the NSAC already (and often) permitted such bouts if organizations simply requested them and the fighters had an appropriate experience level.

But even before the new rule went into effect, NSAC executive director Keith Kizer told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he didn't expect the hometown promotion to use it.

"The UFC has specifically told us they're not interested, so I doubt you'll see that from them," Kizer said.

The thrill of fight night, though, had White reconsidering.

"You know how many times I've been ringside and said, 'God, I wish this was a five-round fight,'" White said after UFC 102. "I did it [on Sunday]. (UFC heavuweight champion) Brock (Lesnar) and I were watching the fight together, and we both said we wish that fight with Nogueira and Couture was five rounds.

"But, I think that's what's so special about fighting for the title. You fight for the title, and it's a five-round fight; you don't, it's a three-round fight. So if everything could be five rounds, what's the point in having title fights at five rounds? Should we do title fights as seven rounds and regular fights (at) five rounds? It just doesn't make sense to me, even though as a fan myself I'd like to see some fights go five rounds that aren't."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 102's Jake Rosholt had $60,000 riding on Couture-Nogueira outcome

As Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira slapped on a choke, torqued it and looked to tap out Randy Couture in the main event of this past Saturday's UFC 102 event, one guy was backstage yelling at the nearest monitor.

"No, no!" he pleaded. "Get out, Randy! Get out!"

Couture ultimately escaped, but unfortunately, he'd go on to suffer a unanimous-decision loss at Portland's Rose Garden Arena. But it didn't matter to that backstage supporter, who secured a cool $60,000 once the fight went to the judges' scorecards.

The windfall came to Jake Rosholt, whose arm-triangle choke of main-card opponent Chris Leben earned him UFC 102's "Submission of the Night" bonus.

None of the night's other nine bouts ended in submission, and Rosholt knew that if Couture and Nogueira could end their fight in any manner other than submission, he'd be the default choice.

"It was so stressful watching their fight," Rosholt joked on today's edition of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "It was even more stressful than my own fight."

The middleweight, searching for his first UFC victory, entered his bout with Leben as an underdog. Despite his notable wrestling skills, which led him to three NCAA Division I national championships at Oklahoma State University, Rosholt had just one fight in the UFC, a submission loss to Dan Miller earlier this year. Leben, meanwhile, entered his 13th UFC fight and was looking for his ninth win overall in the octagon.

Rosholt, though, avoided Leben's heavy blows, showed his own improved stand-up game, and worked the fight to the ground when needed. There, early in the third round, he attempted to take Leben's back but ultimately secured an arm-triangle choke that left Leben unconscious to force the technical-submission stoppage.

"He always fights like that," Rosholt said. "He comes forward and throws hard, but he stayed a little more patient at the end than I thought he'd be. ... I think he was worried about being taken down."

While he ultimately ended the fight on the ground, Rosholt was able to use his opponent's fear of takedowns against him and inflict some damage while standing.

"I don't want to just rely on my wrestling," he said. "And I'm not going to have to. I keep getting more comfortable on my feet."

Rosholt said he was happily surprised by the professionalism and even camaraderie Leben showed him before and after UFC 102.

"Leben was nothing but classy the whole time," Rosholt said. "I have nothing bad to say about the guy. He was a complete class act."

In fact, the day after UFC 102, Rosholt met up with Leben in the hotel lobby before they departed for their respective flights. One topic of conversation was whether or not Leben tapped out during their pay-per-view-televised fight. The referee of the duo's bout, Yves Lavigne, has come under fire over that very topic.

Soon after Rosholt secured the choke, Leben took his own arm and moved it toward his opponent's body. While some say Leben was clearly tapping, others say he may have simply been trying to throw a punch, position himself or even just feel around for Rosholt's body. Regardless, Lavigne didn't stop the action immediately. But seconds later, when Leben was clearly out cold, the bout was halted. Some blamed Lavigne for a late stoppage.

Rosholt said he hasn't gone back to watch the fight, but he said Leben was, in fact, tapping out.

"I felt him tap," Rosholt said. "It was a tap. In the lobby (the next day), Leben even said, 'I tried to tap, but I think I went out after that.' ... I knew going into that fight, if I went into the position, he was going to have to go out because he doesn't tap."

However, Rosholt was quick to defend Lavigne from criticism. He said before the fight even began, the veteran referee spoke to both fighters backstage and said a single tap or two doesn't constitute a tap-out. Instead, Lavigne told them, they had to be clear about their intentions.

Rosholt said he agreed with Lavigne's thoughts.

"I'd rather go out and have him (a referee) make a mistake ... than have him stop it after just one tap or whatever," he said.

Feb 7, 2006
"M-1: Breakthrough" salaries: Lawal and Kerr combine for $55K, five medically suspended

Muhammad Lawal earned $40,000 and fellow headliner Mark Kerr earned $15,000 at this past weekend's "M-1: Breakthrough" event, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with the Kansas Boxing Commission.

Lawal defeated Kerr, a late replacement for Don Frye, via 25-second KO at the Aug. 28 event, which took place at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, K.C. The night's main card aired on HDNet.

The Kansas Boxing Commission only tracks the fight purses for main-event fighters (though KBC commissioner Peter Howes said they'll expand the record-keeping in early 2010). Therefore, purses for the night's additional fighters aren't available.

As always, the salary figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. In other words, the disclosed salaries do not represent the actual pay for each fighter.

In addition to the salary figures, Howes passed along the event's list of medical suspensions. A total of five fighters from the card were issued medical suspensions at the event.

They include:

* Mark Kerr: Suspended 60 days for precautionary reasons
* Lloyd Marshbanks: Suspended indefinitely until right shoulder is X-rayed and cleared by a physician
* Josh Arocho: Suspended 30 days for precautionary reasons
* Brendan Seguin: Suspended 30 days for precautionary reasons
* Andria Caplan: : Suspended 30 days for precautionary reasons

In addition to the Lawal vs. Kerr main event, "M-1: Breakthrough" also featured an exhibition sparring match between Fedor Emelianenko and Gegard Mousasi. Emelianenko won the laid-back affair via arm-bar.

Feb 7, 2006
WHITE HAS ANOTHER NETWORK MEETING TODAY

As MMAWeekly.com reported last Thursday, UFC president Dana White said a third event was in the works for November, featuring a headlining bout between B.J. Penn and Diego Sanchez. The event’s broadcast platform was neither a pay-per-view nor a Spike TV event.

“Wait and see boys... if I can pull this one off,” White told reporters.

At the post-fight press conference for UFC 102 in Portland, Ore., White told MMAWeekly.com that he was flying to L.A. on Monday for another meeting with an undisclosed network.

When asked if he was finalizing a deal, White said, “I hope so... I really hope so.”

A press conference for UFC 104, the promotion’s second trip to the Staples Center on Oct. 24, is scheduled for Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Feb 7, 2006
RODRIGO NOGUEIRA WANTS SHOT AT LESNAR

Following his loss to Frank Mir at UFC 92 many were writing off former UFC and Pride heavyweight titleholder Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira, saying he had been through too many battles and was a weathered warrior.

The Brazilian proved his critics wrong by dismantling two-time UFC light heavyweight and three-time UFC heavyweight titleholder Randy "The Natural" Couture at UFC 102 by a decisive unanimous decision.

Nogueira put himself back into title contention with the win over Couture, and although expecting big name opponents, but willing to fight whoever, the 33-year-old Brazilian wants another shot at the UFC heavyweight crown.

"I like big fights like that. I'll be ready if they gave me a good opponent," Nogueira told MMAWeekly.com. "It would be my pleasure, but if they gave me a title shot, it would be awesome."

Brock Lesnar holds the UFC heavyweight belt, and asked how he matched up with him, Nogueira said, "A lot of jiu-jitsu and good standing up, make him tired man, move around, move around. When I get his timing, hit him with a good right hand and box him, box him and get him tired."

Nogueira sees his wealth of experience as an advantage in a possible bout with Lesnar. "I'm kind of calm. I can listen to my coach. I've been in there a long time. I can see what's going on," commented the Rio de Janeiro resident. "I have more experience than him. That's a big advantage I have.

"If he goes on the top into my guard, I can play with him," added Nogueira. "Let's see, let's see what is going to happen."

Feb 7, 2006
Brett Rogers: Fedor ‘hasn’t felt the power that he’s about to get’

"Life is kinda moving along pretty fast now, especially after this (Andre) Arlovski fight. I feel this is well deserved, I mean, everything that happened, happened for a reason, and I was the one to complete it. I feel that I’m a different fighter for Fedor; he hasn’t felt the power that he’s about to get. He’s talented, but the same things he’s skilled in, I’m skilled in. It’s just we’re gonna see who’s more hungry."

Feb 7, 2006
Thiago: “I wanna be the UFC champion”

Thiago Silva showed against Keith Jardine why he’s one of the biggest light heavyweight fighters in the world this Saturday, at UFC 102. Against the man who did a 15 minutes war against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, Silva just needed 95 seconds to land him on the mat and celebrate the victory.

“I was ready for the five rounds, but I did a good game and the opportunity came earlier”, said Thiago to TATAME.com, revealing the strategy for the fight. “I trained everything ,stand up and ground game. I work on opportunities… If I see that the stand up game is good to me, I’ll do it standing. If I see I’m not in advantage, I try to take it to the ground. I was ready to do that game, hunt him and waiting for him to try to punch me and open his guard to put the right hand”.

With the good victory, Silva says Lyoto Machida still is his focus, but he won’t chose opponents. “I se myself as a tough fighter. I’m back to competition and I won’t chose fights. I’ll fight whoever UFC wants, but I’m looking for my rematch. I’m reday to fight the best, I wanna be the UFC champion”, said Thiago, revealing what Dana White said after his victory. “He said he has good plans to me and wants to see me fighting soon, so I’ll do my job. I’ll be ready”.

Feb 7, 2006
Yoshiro Maeda! DREAM.12 Next?

Yoshiro Maeda didn’t win in a way he would’ve liked to yesterday in his fight against Kleber Koike at DEEP Osaka Impact. He first got hit by a thumb in the eye, and later in the first round by a knee to the groin, which made him unable to continue. Maeda won by DQ.

While still in pain after the fight he still took the mike and said: “My battle still continues. Is an Osaka event participation next?”, appealing to the DREAM officials at ringside.