MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Knock, knock: Demian Maia UFC 102 interview exclusive with MMAmania

It’s safe to say Demian Maia has made a successful transition from grappling sensation to mixed martial arts star.

In fact, he’s made it look way too easy.

As a submission grappler he accumulated a laundry list of accomplishments in jiu-jitsu, including seven state championships in Brazil, a Brazilian national championship, two world championships, three World Cup championships, a Pan American Championship, and a ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship for good measure.

In other words, he is one of the most accomplished submission grapplers on the planet. Perhaps Maia was too good, prompting him to pursue new challenges in the form of MMA a few years ago.

In 2005, he began his professional career and rattled off five consecutive victories. The UFC took notice, signing him to a fight contract just about 24 months later. And he hasn’t let up since.

Maia has been extremely impressive, winning five consecutive UFC fights all by way of submission (no surprise). In four of those fights he also won the “Submission of the Night” monetary award from the UFC management.

He now finds himself knocking on the door of a potential title shot in the middleweight division currently ruled by fellow Brazilian Anderson “The Spider” Silva.

The man standing in his way of that potential opportunity of a lifetime is none other than UFC veteran Nate Marquardt whom he will meet on the main card at UFC 102 this Saturday, Aug. 29 in Portland, Oregon.

Make no mistake about it: Marquardt will be the toughest test of Maia’s career up to this point.

The fight will also serve as a gauge as to how far along Maia’s training has progressed into becoming a more well-rounded fighter with fewer holes in his game.

Will he be able to go strike-for-strike with Marquardt on their feet if needed? Will he be able to bypass the strength and wrestling skill of Marquardt and get the fight to the ground where he is most comfortable?

These questions will be answered Saturday night.

For now, we’ll answer a few others with the help of Demian, who was able to take some time out of his hectic fight week schedule to address his evolving skill set, getting a title shot, how to beat Anderson Silva, and UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

Check it out:

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): You’re known primarily as a jiu-jitsu fighter. With that being said what is your favorite submission to use?

Demian Maia: I really don’t have any favorite submissions. What the opponent gives to me is what I will take.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Some of the mainstream MMA fans in the United States find it hard to appreciate a guy with a phenomenal ground game. A lot of them would much rather prefer to see two guys slug it out. What do you have to say to those fans out there who are struggling to appreciate a guy like yourself?

Demian Maia
: Actually I don’t feel that. I feel like everybody likes my fights. They want to see just an exciting fight. It doesn’t matter where (it takes place). The problem is that too many people think it’s always going to be exciting fighting. I always tell that guys like my way of fight.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Going back to Nate Marquardt. We all know he is a very well-rounded fighter and comes from a great camp. If you had to pick one, what would you say his biggest weakness is?

Demian Maia: I don’t think he has weaknesses. He is complete.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): You’ve been competing in MMA for a few years now. Obviously. when you’re competing in grappling tournaments you don’t have guys punching and kicking you. As a result, have you adjusted your jiu-jitsu to tailor it more towards MMA? If so, what specifically have you changed?

Demian Maia: Yes, of course we have. Since I started training jiu-jitsu we always trained a lot of MMA. Jiu-jitsu was made for self defense. We were training with punches and kicks and that kind. The only big complication is that in jiu-jitsu we don’t have to think about that but in the training we always used to do.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Can you win this fight with Nate if you guys are standing the whole time or do you have to get the fight to the ground?

Demian Maia: I prefer to get the fight to the ground for sure.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate your standup at this juncture in your career?

Demian Maia: I think it’s about five right now, but I’m working hard.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): What is your official prediction for the fight?

Demian Maia: I don’t like to do that, but I hope to win by submission.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): The word on the street is that Dan Henderson is getting the next title shot against Anderson Silva. Do you think there is a chance that the winner of your fight Saturday could leapfrog Henderson and get that shot if one of you pulls off an impressive performance and convinces the UFC otherwise?

Demian Maia: Yeah, I think so. I think I need to change the fans mind and if I get the fans mind they (the UFC) will agree.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Nobody has been able to figure out Anderson so far. He’s been the middleweight champ for a long time. Is he vulnerable and if so, how can he be beaten?

Demian Maia: He’s a man like everyone else. He can be beaten stand up or striking, but he’s very hard to beat in both places. Even in his grappling game, which isn’t as good as his striking.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): So he would be in trouble on the ground against a guy like yourself who is a world class jiu-jitsu fighter?

Demian Maia: Yes, for sure. I’m not saying he’s easy. He’s very good on the ground but of course he’s vulnerable. If he fights with me he will be vulnerable.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): What did you think of Anderson’s performance against Forrest Griffin at UFC 101?

Demian Maia: It was amazing like he always is. He’s amazing when he fights, especially his striking game.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Before I go I also wanted to ask you about Frank Mir. I know Frank is a guy you helped train for his UFC 100 fight with Brock Lesnar. What did you think of Frank’s performance that night?

Demian Maia: I think it’s hard to fight a guy like Brock. He’s very heavy and very athletic and a very good wrestler. Frank won and then Brock won again and I think they could fight again.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Do you think anyone in the UFC can beat Brock Lesnar going forward?

Demian Maia: Of course. I think Frank has (a chance to win). Even Couture does. Minotauro (Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira) does. A lot of heavyweights have a chance to beat him.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): That is all I had for you Demian. Is there anything you would like to pass along to your fans out there or any sponsors you would like to thank?

Demian Maia: I just want to say thank you to Bad Boy my new sponsor. Thank you for everybody who appreciates my game.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Thank you for the time Demian and best of luck on Saturday.

Demian Maia: Okay, thank you very much, Derek.

Feb 7, 2006
Brett Rogers: ‘I’m going to knock [Fedor] out’

Since the announcement of the Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers fight in Strikeforce, a buzz has swept throughout the MMA community, as it seems like many believe Fedor is going to win easily. Just don’t tell Brett Rogers that.

Never short on confidence, Rogers recently spoke with MMAFanhouse.com, and has already envisioned himself as the man to beat Emelianenko. When asked how he expected the fight to go, Rogers proclaimed, “I’m going to knock him out. He’s going to give me his chin, somehow, someway. He’s going to get sloppy with that overhand right that he loves to do or he’ll try to shoot in for a takedown, and I’ll catch him with either a knee or an uppercut … something. I’m going to drop him. I want the crowd to go (gasp). I want to get that reaction out of people. So I can’t wait.”

He continued that if he beats Fedor, “I’m God then. I’m the God of MMA. I’ll become the God of MMA, right? Isn’t that how it goes? I’m the soul snatcher; I’m the grim. I’ll take all his wins and put them under my belt, and then everybody can just hush up.”

The fight between the two was announced yesterday, although no location or date has been confirmed.

Brett “The Grim” Rogers, is currently 10-0, coming of a devastating 22 second TKO victory over Andrei Arlovski, while Fedor, who many consider the best fighter on the planet, is also coming off a victory over Arlovski, with a KO in the first round.

Feb 7, 2006
Fedor Emelianenko has nothing to prove to no one

“Brett Rogers is a very strong opponent. He is a great opponent. And he has a really very heavy knockout punch. I do not read all the rumors and gossip that is published on the Internet. To tell you the truth, the offer from the UFC was not really the worthy one. And if they are able to give us a really good offer then maybe [one day] we could agree. Frankly speaking, when I am in the cage or ring I don’t feel like I have to prove something. There are a lot of people around me who feel I do, but I don’t think so. When I come into the ring or cage the only thing I’m thinking about is is Russia (and representing it). So I don’t think that I need to prove anything.”

Feb 7, 2006
MMA Industry Expanding, ChokeoutPoker.net

MMAPayout.com has talked at length about MMA’s ability to move beyond the sport and create a lifestyle all of its own. The sport has spawned an entire industry of related training facilities, clothing, equipment, nutritional supplements, movies, music, video games, and now, it seems, the sport has even inspired a poker website.

The following is a press release from ChokeOutPoker.net (analysis below):

ChokeOutPoker.net is a new hybrid lifestyle online poker brand that caters to Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fans around across the globe. The site will make its official launch Friday, Aug. 28, to coincide with its sponsorship of “HDNETFIGHTS PRESENTS M-1 GLOBAL: BREAKTHROUGH”, a live HDNet telecast airing at 10 p.m. ET.

The online poker educational site was built to appeal to the hip, old-school affluence and lifestyle personified by such iconic figures as Hugh Hefner, Steve McQueen, and Ernest Hemingway.

“Think Maxim meets poker meets MMA and that pretty much embodies ChokeOutPoker.net,” said Michael Lynch, CEO of Templar Consulting, the exclusive marketing agent for ChokeOutPoker.net.

ChokeOutPoker.net is currently accepting pre-registrations and will offer exclusive promotions featuring autographed MMA gear, fight tickets, and personalized MMA training sessions that will include some of the biggest names in MMA.

“Our close association with MMA will allow us to separate ourselves from the more traditional sites that often have a stale and stuffy atmosphere,” said Lynch. “Choke Out Poker will have an edgier and more hip demographic that will offer its players a more relaxed community.”

During its pre-registration period, ChokeOutPoker.net is currently offering a drawing to win signed fight gear along with a “Beat and Eat” training session lunch with MMA legend Pat Miletich.

Showing a strong commitment to the MMA community, ChokeOutPoker.net sponsored a total of seven fights earlier this month at the M-1 Challenge in Amsterdam, Holland. Thanks to strong performances of Team USA East fighters John Doyle and Shamar Bailey as well as Team England fighters Scott Hewitt, Simon Phillips, Matt Thorpe, Tom Blackledge, and Dave Keeley, Choke Out Poker fighters went a combined 7-0.

Rooting the fighters on in Amsterdam was Lynch, a former Chief Operating Officer with the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts. Lynch gives Choke Out Poker a highly-visible marketer that is well-known and well-respected within the Mixed Martial Arts industry. A guest on such popular MMA shows such as HDNet’s Inside MMA and Fox’s Fight Game, is excited about his latest endeavor.

“When I was first approached by ChokeOutPoker.net several months ago, I jumped at the chance to be involved with the first educational poker site that combines the fun of free poker and the excitement of mixed martial arts,” said Lynch. “My partner Ron Hansen is an avid poker player with tremendous industry contacts. It is a perfect fit for all involved.”

Payout Perspective:

The website is bound to draw mixed reactions from the MMA world.

Both MMA and poker are compatible in the sense that they share the same target audience. The reason why sites such as FullTilt and UltimateBet have sponsored various fighters and leagues is because they want to target that 18-34 male demo, flush with disposable cash just waiting to be lost (or won…) at the table. There’s good potential for a website that can properly integrate MMA and poker with various other things that are all stereotypically associated with males in this demographic (i.e., the Maxim demo).

However, the trick is that the MMA-Poker experiment has to be done properly. If the website appears to be a cheap gimmick designed to capitalize and piggyback off of the success of MMA, it will draw a rather cool reception from fans; and therein also lies a long-term concern.

The surging popularity of any brand or entity is going to encounter copy-cats and cheap imitations; the result often being an over-saturated market which dilutes the value of the original. Thus it’s important to be somewhat selective in the associations that the sport makes with various other industries.

After all, as Al Ries will attest, the power of a brand is inversely related to its scope.

Note: the relationship between ChokeOutPoker and M-1 Global. The website’s executive marketing agent, Michael Lynch, is the original founder and COO of WAMMA, an organization that had extensive ties to Affliction/M-1 and also crowned Fedor Emelianenko its first ever champion in any weight class.

Feb 7, 2006
Heading to ADCC, Galvão eyes Strikeforce

In 2007, André Galvão went back home with two bronze medals at the ADCC, defeating Mike Fowler and Alexandre “Cacareco”, but wants a different “color” this year. “I’m glad to be in ADCC this year, and I’m going there to be the champion”, guarantees the black belt, promising his best.

“I’m in a different category now and I won’t have to lose weight, I feel more comfortable with that. I think I’ll be well, because I’m training hard to get there 100% and be the champion”, said André, revealing that his next MMA fight might be in the USA.

“Nothing was confirmed yet, but I think I’ll fight in October or November in Strikeforce”, revealed the black belt, revealing that the training for ADCC will help him to be ready for the MMA fight. “I’m more focused in the MMA, but the training is quite the same and I believe the gas will make the difference now, helping me to explode and be better”, said. Stay tuned for more news on Strikeforce and ADCC.

Feb 7, 2006
KID Traveling Abroad! Dynamite!! Return

Norifumi “KID” Yamamoto said at a press conference in his gym today that he will travel abroad to train and regain his hunger. Possible locations he is thinking about right now are USA and Thailand. The plan is for his return fight to be at Dynamite!! on NYE.

Feb 7, 2006
SENGOKU X! Judo Vs. Kickboxing

2004 Olympic silver medalist, 2005 World Championships gold medalist, and 2008 Asian Championships gold medalist in Judo, Hiroshi Izumi, will face a fellow MMA beginner in his debut at SENGOKU X on September 23rd. Samoan Antz “Notorious” Nansen from New Zealand became well-known in his birth city through street fights (also how he got his nickname).

Nansen started Kickboxing after he met well-known kickboxer Jason “Nobunaga” Suttie (eventually became his best pupil). Nansen became WKBF Cruiserweight champion and in October of last year he also became the WKBF Heavyweight champion when he defeated Joe Martin. He also took the IMF Muay Thai New Zealand Heavyweight title and his current record is 14-1-1 (5 KO’s).

Update: A confident Izumi at the press conference said that he wants to stand with Nansen. He said that he’s very confident in his striking and that it’s his fighting style. Not surprising talk since he said when he was announced as an MMA convert that he wants a fighting style similar to Wanderlei Silva.

Update #2: Izumi was on a one week training camp in Kagoshima last week. He usually trains with Yoji Anjoh, but sometimes goes to Yoshida Dojo and Wajyutsu Keisyukai to train. He has trained with UFC fighter Yushin Okami (at WK) and according to him (Izumi) he handled the menu with ease.

Update #3: Takimoto’s opponent, Jae Sun Lee, last fought at Moosin 1 (Kickboxing) in Korea.

Feb 7, 2006
Penn vs. Sanchez targeted for UFC's third show in November; White hints at new broadcast deal

PORTLAND, Ore. – The recently rumored UFC lightweight title fight between current champion B.J. Penn and challenger Diego Sanchez will happen this fall according to UFC president Dana White, but it won't happen in England.

At today's UFC 102 pre-fight press conference in Portland, Ore., White said he was working on a deal that would see the organization host a third event in November.

And while UFC 105 will air on SpikeTV on Nov. 14 and UFC 106 will be seen on pay per view Nov. 21, White said the potential new date won't be viewed on either platform.

"It's Penn-Sanchez, but I don't know where yet," White said. "We're working on a deal right now. That fight might end up somewhere else – and it definitely won't be in Manchester."

Penn vowed following his January 2008 win over Joe Stevenson in Newcastle, England, that he would no longer fight overseas due to the discrepancy in pay and the challenges of battling jet lag. White insisted that had nothing to do with his decision to move the bout from its originally rumored location.

"B.J. doesn't want to fight anywhere," White joked. "He didn't want to fight in Las Vegas because he didn't like the [the Nevada State Athletic Commission's decision regarding Greasegate.] Then when they called it 'The B.J. Penn Rule,' now he likes Las Vegas and wants to fight. Don't even get me started.

"But listen, you have to fight wherever we have fights. You've got to fight. If I need him to fight in Manchester, he's got to fight in Manchester. But I'm working on something else for him right now."

White confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that "something" was a potential third event for the organization in the month of November.

"We could go early November with another fight," White said.

Strikeforce is currently believed to be planning an event for Nov. 7 – a yet-to-be-announced card that would feature the recently booked Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers heavyweight clash. While that date would also seem to be the likely night for the UFC's third November card, White insisted he didn't need to launch a live event to successfully counter-program the rival organization.

"I can beat Strikeforce with a show that we've aired 790,000 times," White said. "I don't need to do a live event."

White said the third November event is not yet a certainty, but he's currently working to close a deal for the new card. And should he complete the negotiations, it will apparently include a new broadcast partner as well.

When asked by MMAjunkie.com whether the event would fall to Spike TV or pay per view, White's response was simple.

"Neither," White said. "Wait and see boys."

Feb 7, 2006
White says signing of Rogerio Nogueira "should be done," hints at logic behind recent signings

PORTLAND, Ore. – Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (17-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC), top light heavyweight and twin brother to UFC 102 main-event fighter Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, will indeed be making his way to the UFC.

News of the potential signing first spilled out 10 days ago during a media call promoting Saturday's "UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira" event, and at Thursday's pre-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White confirmed the signing was all but complete.

"It should be done," White said. "If it's not done, somebody's in trouble."

"Little Nog" is a 10-time PRIDE veteran who owns career wins over notables Dan Henderson, Alistair Overeem, Kazushi Sakuraba, Guy Mezger, Tsuyoshi Kohsaka, Kazuhiro Nakamura and Edwin Dewees, among others. Nogueira also went 2-0 during his brief tenure with Affliction, which included a win over fellow recent UFC signee Valdimir Matyushenko.

The signing of Nogueira, along with the signings of Matyushenko and UFC veteran Phil Baroni, have marked a change in strategy for the organization away from signing top young stars. Nogueira comes to the UFC at 33 years old – as does Baroni in his first UFC action in four years – while Matyushenko is 38.

While White wouldn't directly admit he was simply trying to snatch up every available "name" fighter to prevent them from competing in an opposing organization such as Strikeforce, the UFC exec certainly hinted that it could be a driving factor.

"I have a reason," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Everybody knows what a [expletive] I can be when we start battling. I'm doing some things that might not make sense to you guys on the outside, (but they) make sense to me. And there's some things that I'm working on right now."

White said he's uncertain exactly when Nogueira will make his UFC debut.

"Soon," White said. "We're doing so many fights, he'll have to fight soon."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 102's Jake Rosholt says takedowns aren't the only way to beat Chris Leben

If UFC Fight Night 17 was your first exposure to middleweight prospect Jake Rosholt (5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC), the former three-time collegiate wrestling national champion hopes you'll give him another look.

Rosholt was submitted by Dan Miller just 63 seconds into that February contest, his UFC debut, but he recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) you should expect something completely different in his Saturday night contest with Chris Leben (18-6 MMA, 8-4 UFC) on the main card of UFC 102.

"I've been training hard, and I'm ready to go," Rosholt said. "It's a great fight for me, great opportunity to go out there and put that last fight behind me. I've been waiting to be able to do that."

Rosholt's wrestling background did little for him in the bout with Miller, and the 27-year-old was forced to tap to a secure guillotine choke. It's an experience Rosholt did not enjoy, but one from which he believes he learned a valuable lesson.

"There's not much to talk about," Rosholt said. "I went out there and got choked out in a minute. It's frustrating.

"It's one of those deals where you train so hard, and for something like that to happen, it's frustrating. It was a huge letdown, but it happens. As much as you watch fighting, it happens. It was a good learning experience for me."

Rosholt said the pressure to perform well in his first trip to the octagon led him to fight a bit recklessly.

"I think I did go out in the fight and was just a little bit too gung ho going forward and not letting myself get comfortable in there at the start of the fight and falling into place," Rosholt said. "I just got into a situation, and he put a slick choke on me. It ended up getting deep and tight quick – a lot sooner than I'm used to. Kudos to him."

After opening his career with five-straight stoppage victories, Rosholt suffered his first loss in the Miller fight. Despite the setback, Rosholt said he was more disappointed in his performance than he was with the result.

"There was never any pressure about being undefeated," Rosholt said. "As far as those go, I don't care. I just want to go out there and fight my best every time. Going out there and getting choked out in a minute doesn't really constitute that."

Rosholt will now look to bounce back from that loss when he travels to Leben's old stomping grounds in Portland, Ore., site of UFC 102. While some feel Rosholt may find himself at a disadvantage in the potentially hostile environment, the Team Takedown fighter said he's not concerned.

"I'm from North Idaho, about six hours from Portland," Rosholt said. "I have a ton of family in Seattle, too. It's not far from where I grew up, so I definitely have a lot of support out there, too.

"I don't feel like I'm going into his territory. Besides, it's only me and him in the cage. It doesn't matter all the fans that he's got outside of it or all the fans I've got outside of it. It's what happens inside of it."

In just his seventh professional fight, Rosholt believes he's prepared for what will happen when the cage door closes.

"When I first signed with the WEC, I was signed for five fights," Rosholt said. "I think it would have been perfect for me to have those five fights in the WEC and then move up. But just the way it came about, [with the WEC's middleweight division folding into the UFC], here I am. There's nothing more for me to do.

"I'm ready for these fights. I was ready for the Dan Miller fight. It wasn't something that was over my head, and this fight isn't something that's over my head. I'm ready for this fight, and in no way do I feel like I got thrown in to a situation that I'm not ready for. It's one of those deals where it is what it is, and just go out and train hard, get ready for the fight, and get out there and get it done this time."

Fighting for the first time in more than 10 months, Leben also looks to get it done. Leben's last successful trip to the cage was a March 2008 win over Alessio Sakara.

Rosholt knows he'll need to avoid Leben's heavy hands, but he insists a simple takedown isn't the only way he can win.

"You definitely don't want to stand in range and let him tee off on you," Rosholt said. "I'm not going to be doing that. But it's a fight. I'm going to get out there and fight.

"I'm not just going out there and solely thinking I need to get Chris Leben on the ground. That's not going to be the only way for me to win the fight. I'm going to try an be a little bit more patient than I was that last fight. I think that first fight got to me."

With the sting of his first UFC experience still fresh in his mind, Rosholt looks forward to proving his first trip to the octagon wasn't him at his best.

"That last loss was pretty hard on me," Rosholt said. "But I just went back and trained harder and got better."

Feb 7, 2006
Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang "probably" UFC 105's co-main event in England

PORTLAND, Ore. – A recently rumored contest between middleweight veterans Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and Denis Kang (32-11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) was deemed "probable" by UFC president Dana White.

Fighters Only magazine first reported the bout as likely for UFC 105 in Manchester, England, and at Thursday's UFC 102 pre-fight press conference, White said the two will face each other in the evening's co-main event.

"That's probably going to be the fight in Manchester – not the main event, the co-main," White said.

Although not officially listed on the organization's calendar of events, UFC 105 is expected to take place Nov. 14 at Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England.

The card had been expected to feature the lightweight title fight of current champion B.J. Penn and challenger Diego Sanchez in the evening's main event, but as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier, White has pulled that contest from a potential UFC 105 slot in favor of a new, as-yet-unannounced event.

Bisping originally was expected to face Wanderlei Silva at UFC 105, though a recent surgery has left the "Axe Murderer" on the shelf for the immediate future. The British fighter returns to action for the first time since a devastating loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100. Kang, meanwhile, looks to build on the momentum of an April win over Xavier Foupa-Pokam, which followed a upset submisson loss to Alan Belcher in his octagon debut earlier this year.

UFC 105's current rumored card includes:

* Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang*
* Dan Hardy vs. Dong Hyun Kim*
* Matt Brown vs. James Wilks*
* Terry Etim vs. TBA*
* Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley*
* DaMarques Johnson vs. Peter Sobotta*
* Roli Delgado vs. Andre Winner*

* - Not yet officially announced.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 102 co-headliner Keith Jardine isn't one for typical pre-event hoopla

PORTLAND, Ore. – One glance from Keith Jardine can prove that "Dean of Mean" is more than just a rhyming nickname. The UFC star continues to gain in popularity with the fans despite a herky-jerky style inside and outside the octagon.

"To me, all great fighters should have something cool or different about their style," coach Greg Jackson told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Muhammad Ali did everything wrong, but he was 'The Greatest.' I like it when people say he has an awkward style. If they said he was awkward and he sucked that would be one thing, but Keith is decent."

On Saturday, Jardine (14-5-1) and his unique style will face Thiago Silva at UFC 102 in Portland, Ore. Jardine also brought a unique style to the pre-fight hoopla. Contractually obliged to participate in open workouts, he waded through the reporters and cameras with his shoulders slumped and head down. He kept his eyes on the floor while shadowboxing with a surliness that seemed to emanate Don't. Bother. Me.

"Other guys can put on a smile face and give the stock answers," he said. "Honestly it's not my personality to do this. I'm not big on self-promotion. I think this is a drag."

While other fighters relish media attention as a sign of fame and fortune, Jardine would just as soon avoid it. But his UFC contact requires him to keep media appointments.

"I get tired of being asked the same questions all the time," he said. "But if you want people to pay to see you fight, I guess you have to do it. I'm notorious for not calling back the PR people. Things will build until someone higher up gives me the call."

To accommodate Jardine, the UFC stacks all the interviews and photo shoots into one day.

"After (meeting with the press), I want to get back to reality and get in the right state of mind," he said. "I just want to train and empty my mind of everything. I just want to focus. I don't want to pay my bills. I don't want to balance my check book. I want to get out of all this unnatural stuff and go fight."

If Jardine's dislike of the media is so palpable now, imagine what it could have been without his de facto media training on "The Ultimate Fighter 2."

"That was not just about training to fight," Jardine said. "It was also mental training. You had a microphone and camera on you at all times. You learned how to get used to it all. You had to."

Jardine used that show to springboard into the upper echelons of the light-heavyweight division. On paper, Jardine's most glaring advantage against Silva will be experience. Silva will be his fifth top-10 opponent in the past six fights. Since UFC 66, Jardine has wins over Forrest Griffin, Chuck Liddell and Brandon Vera and losses to "Rampage" Jackson and Wanderlei Silva. Silva's only opponent comparable to those names was Lyoto Machida, who handed the young Brazilian his first loss.

(Notably, Jardine was also upset by Houston Alexander, while Silva demolished him.)

"It's a hard situation," Jackson said. "Some people might say to pressure Silva early, but I don't think that is good for us. [Silva] has been around a long time and is very professional."

Conventional wisdom also suggests Silva will want to avoid standing with Jardine in a kickboxing match.

"Thiago is one of those guys that doesn't do anything really extraordinary on film," Jardine said. "He likes to push the pace. I think he wants the fight on the ground, and that is something I am prepared for."

While both fighters have promised fireworks, neither knows exactly what it means to their status as contenders. And that question – the next-fight question – is among those Jardine disdains the most.

"It's part of sports," Jackson said. "In the playoffs, you know if your team wins then they play this other team. I think it's natural. But that idea is something the media comes up with. My fighters are focused on their next fight."

Feb 7, 2006
DAN HENDERSON HOLDING OUT FOR ANDERSON SILVA

PORTLAND, Ore. – One after the other, UFC Fight Club fans took the mic and thanked Dan Henderson for knocking Michael Bisping out at UFC 100.

No problem, said Henderson.

“Honestly, it was a pleasure to do it,” he said. “You don’t have to thank me.”

Bisping has already promised to redeem his loss, but Henderson, a founding member of Team Quest who lived in Gresham for two years, says he wants Anderson Silva before anyone else.

“That’s what Dana White announced, but hopefully, (Silva) steps up and fights me,” said Henderson.

White and Silva have sent mixed signals on the possibility of a rematch. Earlier this month, White said Henderson was next in line for “The Spider.” Then, at this weekend’s UFC 102 pre-fight press conference, he said the winner of Demian Maia vs. Nate Marquardt could be the next challenger.

Henderson believes Marquardt will come out ahead on Saturday, but would rather face Maia to get to Silva ("I could take advantage of his lack of striking," he comments). If the middleweight champion is not the endgame, he’ll be back at light heavyweight, where Lyoto Machida reigns.

“I’m in the game to challenge myself and to beat the top guys, and whether it’s at 185 or 205, that’s what I want to do, so I would love do to do that,” he said. “If I don’t get a chance at Anderson right now, I want to fight one of the top guys that will get me into the title shot (at 205).”

The 39-year-old former Pride champion said every tick of the clock counted now.

“I’ve been able to hold my own against some of these younger guys,” he said. “So I’ve got two or three good years in me, and I just want to make sure I accomplish some goals first. That’s why every fight is important for me, because I am towards the end of my career, and a rematch with Bisping wouldn’t appeal to me, and when they announced that possibly I might fight Rich (Franklin) again that didn’t really appeal to me either.”

Henderson said he looked forward to spending more time with his kids when he stepped away from the sport, and promised he would always be involved in a coaching capacity.

The outcome of Saturday’s middleweight title eliminator should hold the key to hope or more patience for the longtime veteran.

Feb 7, 2006
WEC 43 LANDS IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS

Las Vegas, NV (USA) – World Extreme Cagefighting® announced today that it is returning to the Lone Star state on Saturday, Oct. 10 with an action-packed night of fights. Live from the AT&T Center in beautiful San Antonio, TX, fan favorite Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone battles feared striker Ben Henderson in a bout that will crown the interim WEC lightweight champion.

The 10-fight card, which was originally slated for Sept. 2, now heads to one of the nation’s top cities. What’s more, the Oct. 10 event will be WEC’s first-ever show on a Saturday night, making it a historic night for the organization.

“We are really excited to be bringing this fight card to San Antonio,” WEC General Manager Reed Harris said, adding that the market has long been attractive to WEC. “They say everything’s bigger in Texas. We plan on living up to that slogan by bringing some of the most prominent mixed martial artists in the world to San Antonio.

“The stars have aligned for this card,” Harris continued. “As we stated earlier this week, an injury to Henderson prevented him from being ready to fight on Sept. 2, but he’s fired up and ready for ‘Cowboy’ on Oct. 10. It’s the perfect scenario. We’ve got a world title fight on a Saturday night in one of the nation’s biggest cities. It doesn’t get much better than that.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC eyes Vancouver, Canada, for June 2010 event

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is looking to make its third run at Canada, and it could come with its second stop in the Pacific Northwest: Vancouver.

While company president Dana White is in Portland, Ore., today preparing for the promotion’s first show in the northwest — tomorrow night’s UFC 102: “Couture vs. Nogueira” — other UFC officials were in British Columbia’s largest city, presenting their case for what the UFC could mean to Vancouver’s economy and flourishing mixed martial arts fan base, according to the Globe and Mail.

The proposal is for a pay-per-view UFC event to be held at General Motors Place — the (approximately) 19,000-seat home of the NHL’s Canucks franchise — for a possible June 2010 date. The company already has the support of the Aquilini family, which owns GM Place, along with the Canucks.

What could be equally attractive from an economic viewpoint is the possibility of adjoining the UFC card to a fan exposition. The UFC’s inaugural fan expo — held in Las Vegas in conjunction with the historic UFC 100 card — reportedly drew 40,000 fans over a two-day period and required 150,000 square feet of convention space.

Plus, with the sheer number of staff, fighters, fans and support personnel traveling with each UFC event, the local hotel and restaurant industries benefit sizably.

UFC officials were joined in Vancouver by Marc Ratner, former Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director, who is helping make the case for the promotion to city officials. MMA is not currently sanctioned in Vancouver, or B.C. for that matter, but company officials are confident it could happen in the next four months.

Ratner pledged that the UFC would absorb the entire cost of insuring fighters — a sticking point with Vancouver city councilors — as well as providing for additional security on fight night.

Like other UFC cards, the event would feature local Canadian talent and is likely to include the hugely popular welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre.

The Montreal native headlined the promotion’s first foray into Canada at UFC 83: “Serra vs. St. Pierre 2,” which set a North American attendance record for the sport at 21,390 people. That record held until the promotion’s second trip to Canada at UFC 97: “Redemption” (21,451 fans).

UFC executive vice president Lawrence Epstein said that Canadian fans account for 15 to 20 percent of the promotion’s business, which he called its largest per capita success story.

Feb 7, 2006
Fedor Emelianenko Submits Gegard Mousasi at “M-1 Global: Breakthrough”

Fedor Emelianenko managed to force a tapout from Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion, and good friend Gegard Mousasi during an exhibition sparring match held at “M-1 Global: Breakthrough”.

The entertaining match-up took place this evening from the Memorial Hall in Kansas City.

While just an exhibition match, and neither fighter was going at full strength, it was apparent that Fedor was the superior grappler as he threw Mousasi to the canvas like a rag doll seemingly at will.

The contest started out simple enough, before a big throw from Fedor sent Mousasi crashing to the canvas with a thud that rippled throughout the stadium. A couple of big Emelianenko throws later the smaller Mousasi was able to return the favor with a throw of his own. From there the Dutch-Armenian standout went for an armbar before Fedor was able to escape danger. The pair continued to throw each other about the ring before Emelianenko eventually scored the bout ending armbar from the top position.

The duo were all smiles the entire time, and the crowd voiced their approval at the end of the show for an exhibition that failed to disappoint.

Feb 7, 2006
Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal smashes “The Smashing Machine”

Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal looked impressive while making incredibly short work of UFC veteran Mark Kerr this evening during “M-1 Global: Breakthrough“.

The pair headlined the card that was held at the Memorial Hall in Kansas City, and aired live on HDNet.

The fight was over before it began. As Kerr threw a leg kick to start things off, Lawal latched onto it and scooped the 260+ pound Kerr into the air where he firmly deposited him back onto the canvas. From there Mo landed a series of hard punches to the side of the head as Kerr lay face first on the mat. The end came when Lawal switched his punches from the side of the head to underneath the armpit where a powerful right hand sent the former UFC fighter’s mouthpiece sailing into the crowd, and Kerr in an unconscious stupor.

Almost immediately Mo rushed to the side of Kerr to check on his condition, a fighter he has great admiration for, yet the battered former wrestler stayed down for several tense moments following the stoppage. To everyone’s relief the hulking heavyweight eventually managed to climb back to his feet and leave the ring on his own free will.

Lawal performed exactly how he should have performed in a fight with someone like Kerr. Go out there, get your money, and look good doing it. The only question now is: where will Mo end up fighting next.

“I’m just trying to go where they keep me busy and treat me good,” explained Lawal following the bout. “I don’t care about any names or anything like that. I’m just trying to go where I can get paid, they treat me good and I can fight a lot.”

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I heard the next Superman movie is actually just going to be Goran Reljic's biography. Here's what he had to say about finally announcing, after his back surgery last year, that he's going to be coming back to the UFC to fight by the end of the year.

"I made the decision two weeks ago and I must say it wasn't easy. My desire to come back was not in question, it was a matter of whether I was physically able to and whether it would jeopardize my health.

The doctors told me after the surgery I would limp on my left leg for the rest of my life but I managed to regenerate the nerve that was damaged and now I can walk normally. There for I think the doctors were wrong in my case so its best that I listen to myself.

As long as I feel good I will continue fighting."

He KO's Gouveia, he regenerates dead nerves, he jumps into the goddamn ocean to save people's lives... I think that's worth a title shot.