MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 13, 2003
2 fights that i really wanna see happen......Evans Vs. Machida (glad it's gonna happen!)
and fedor Vs. Crocop (i'll give it to Fedor if he can work around Crocops leg kicks)

Feb 7, 2006
Efrain Escudero out of UFC Fight Night 18 with injury

"The Ultimate Fighter 8" lightweight winner Efrain Escudero (11-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has been forced out of a UFC Fight Night 18 co-main event fight with Jeremy Stephens (16-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC).

The lightweight fighter confirmed an undisclosed injury with a recent MySpace bulletin.

UFC Fight Night 18 takes place April 1 at the Sommet Center in Nashville, Tenn., and airs on Spike TV as a lead-in for the ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not immediately reach Escudero, but a source close to the fighter said a rib injury suffered during a recent training session may be to blame.

A second source said his spot on the card could be filled by Gleison Tibau (16-6 MMA, 4-3 UFC), who's apparently been offered the fight. Tibau last fought in February at UFC Fight Night 17, where he defeated Rich Clementi via first-round submission to snap a two-fight losing skid.

Escudero was slated to make his first appearance since a defeat of Phillipe Nover at The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale. The 23-year-old Mexican-American fighter, who's posted stoppage victories in nine of his career wins, was going to face a tough test in Stephens.

Stephens most recently met Joe Lauzon in the main event of UFC Fight Night 17. In a tough-fought performance, Stephens a late replacement for training partner Hermes Franca, suffered a second-round submission loss to drop to 3-3 in the UFC.

Despite the loss, the hard-hitting 22-year-old said he didn't want to pull out of the previously scheduled fight with Escudero.

As of Wednesday, the Escudero-Stephens fight was still listed on UFC.com.

Feb 7, 2006
Freeman Avoids Jail Time

Ian Freeman is a free man.

The Newcastle Crown Court sentenced the six-time UFC veteran to a suspended nine-month jail term on March 3 for failing to declare income earned from professional fights he competed in and other fight-related employment between 2003-2006.

Judge Brian Forster sentenced Freeman to a one-year probation, 120 hours of community service and an 8:30 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. curfew for six weeks.

Freeman, 42, had previously pleaded guilty to one count of tax evasion and another for making a false income statement to obtain a house mortgage. The father of three and his wife, Angela, also pleaded guilty to three joint counts of making fraudulent claims for tax credits between January 2003 and July 2006.

The Sunderland, England native’s wife had previously been issued a suspended sentence.

“I've never held a full-time job,” Freeman wrote in a previous email to Sherdog.com. “All I've known is doorman work or fighting and I last worked the doors over 10 years ago. From 2003 to the end of 2004, I fought in the UK and when I received my purse money I automatically accepted it was all mine. The government do not tax you like the USA. You have to pay the taxman yourself in England. So due to ignorance of the law, I never paid taxes.”

Freeman stated that he paid his taxes from 2006 on when he became self-employed.

At his sentencing, Freeman’s attorney presented 90 affidavits to the court attesting to the fighter’s numerous charitable efforts in the community. One reference detailed the fighter’s efforts to raise funds for a playground built in memory of a four-year-old girl that had been killed in a traffic accident.

Freeman, who lost his father to brain cancer the night before his July 2002 victory over Frank Mir at UFC 38, was also cited for raising the funds to send a terminally-ill 10-year-old boy to Florida with his family for his final “dream vacation.”

Freeman believes his charity work swayed the court in its leniency.

“I believe in Karma, what goes around, comes around,” Freeman wrote in an email to Sherdog.com on Tuesday. “The judge could see how much I have helped those not as fortunate as me. The judge also commended me on my charity work I have done.”

Freeman (19-7-1) retired from active competition in 2005, but returned a year later for three fights with Cage Rage in London. Freeman was also hired as a coach for a UK squad in the International Fight League, but the promotion went under before his team could debut. Freeman last competed for the UK’s Cage Rage in May 2008, earning a unanimous decision over Paul Cahoon in a light heavyweight championship bout.

“I now want to put this all behind me," wrote Freeman, "and I hope others, like the judge, can see I'm not a bad man or a criminal, just a man who knows nothing about paying taxes and bookkeeping."

Feb 7, 2006
PETE SELL DOING OKAY; MOSTLY DISAPPOINTED

Nothing is scarier to an MMA fan than watching a fighter go down from strikes or taking unnecessary punishment before a bout is stopped. Both of those things happened to Pete Sell last Saturday night in Columbus, Ohio, as the Matt Serra trained fighter suffered a TKO loss to Matt Brown in one of the strangest endings the sport has ever seen.

After Brown connected with a combination early in the fight, Sell was dropped to the mat and referee Yves Lavigne stepped in to stop the action. Realizing that Sell was still moving, Lavigne then backed off and let the fight continue, much to the dismay of Brown and even UFC president Dana White, who felt Sell had taken enough punishment at that point.

The ensuing minute after the brief stoppage was nothing short of shocking as Sell did his best to regain his composure, but still taking shot after shot from Brown – who visibly and verbally looked for the fight to be stopped – before Lavigne finally stepped in to stop the contest.

After the fight ended, White told the media in attendance that he sent Sell to the hospital to receive an MRI and get checked over to make sure he didn’t have any serious injuries following the bout.

MMAWeekly.com spoke to Sell via text message on Wednesday to get an update on his condition following the controversial stoppage.

"Well I got talked down from jumping off a building yesterday," Sell said.

During Dana White's UFC 96 blog, Sell was seen telling the UFC president that he wanted every opportunity to come back in that fight and knowing how tough the New York native is, it's no shock that he wasn't yelling in protest that the fight wasn't stopped earlier.

"I'm alright, had better days," Sell told MMAWeekly.com. "I'm just real frustrated. I put in so much hard work leading up to the fight. My game got so much better in all areas, but (I) didn't get a chance to show any of it.

"That hurts man."

Always known as one of the toughest and most durable fighters in the sport, Sell will no doubt go back to the drawing board once again and come back with a renewed spirit and vengeance to prove himself in the UFC and to any of the doubters that questioned him following the loss.

Feb 7, 2006
GLEISON TIBAU STEPS IN TO FACE JEREMY STEPHENS

With Efrain Escudero on the bench due to a rib injury sustained in training, American Top Team lightweight Gleison Tibau will step in to fight Jeremy Stephens.

Sources close to negotiations alerted MMAWeekly.com of the change.

The fight is the second in three months for Stephens, who himself stood in for injured teammate Hermes Franca to face Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 17 in February. Stephens lost by submission in the second round.

Tibau fought on the undercard of the February Fight Night, defeating veteran Rich Clementi by Guillotine Choke in the first round. The win snapped back-to-back losses against top lightweights Tyson Griffin and Joe Stevenson at UFC 81 and 86, respectively.

Overall, Tibau carries a professional record of 16-6 over a seven-year career.

Feb 7, 2006
DID BJ PENN GET FAIR SHOT? THE COMPLAINT DETAILS

Billed as a mega-fight, UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre defeated lightweight titleholder B.J. Penn on Jan. 31, but that was just the beginning of the battle.

Since then, a very public situation has erupted amidst accusations of St. Pierre's camp illegally applying Vaseline or "greasing" their fighter, giving him an unfair advantage and endangering Penn during their bout.

The controversy erupted inside the cage between the first and second rounds when the NSAC was alerted to the inappropriate use of Vaseline by St. Pierre cornerman Phil Nurse. Officials wiped the welterweight champion down with a towel between rounds and monitored the corner closely until the bout’s halt.

That has not stemmed the tide of either side. St. Pierre's camp is adamant that there was no intentional infraction, while Penn's camp just as strongly argues that it was a preconceived plan.

Penn and his camp on Monday filed a 20-page formal complaint against St. Pierre and his camp with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Several of the key points of interest presented in the excerpts from the complaint below.

ALLEGATIONS AS TO GEORGES ST. PIERRE:

It is Penn's understanding and belief that other renowned mixed martial arts fighters have openly complained of and expressed statements consistent with Penn's experience during the Bout against Pierre, that is, that Pierre's body was highly and unnaturally slippery well beyond that contemplated and experienced by veteran mixed martial arts fighters and, based thereon, Penn alleges that the application of Vaseline/petroleum jelly or some substance to Pierre's body by his agents, employees and/or co-conspirators during the Bout was not an innocent and/or inadvertent act or mistake but, in fact, a calculated strategy and an intentional act by Pierre to have a substance applied to his body during the Bout that would result in his body becoming highly and unnaturally slippery.

...Penn alleges that prior to the Bout Pierre ingested a substance that would cause his body to become highly and unnaturally slippery during the Bout and that such an act was not innocent and/or an inadvertent mistake but, in fact, a calculated strategy and an intentional act by Pierre to ingest this substance such that his body would become highly and unnaturally slippery during the Bout.

PRE-BOUT WARNING TO THE COMMISSION ABOUT PIERRE "GREASING":

Prior to the Bout a member(s) of Penn's Team notified and forewarned the Commission and/or its agents, representatives or employees that Pierre may/will engage in conduct unbecoming of the sport of unarmed combat and in violation of the regulations of the NRS and NAC, specifically, that Pierre will apply Vaseline/petroleum jelly or some substance to his body and/or knowingly, willingly and/or intentionally allow the application of a substance to/on his body that will be slippery or cause his body to become highly and unnaturally slippery during the Bout.

The basis of Penn's and Penn's Team's belief are the comments and statements made by other veteran mixed martial arts fighters who have participated in bouts against Pierre as well as other comments made pertaining to Pierre's Team about "greasing"... Based on the aforementioned information and belief Penn alleges that Pierre is and at all relevant times alleged herein a knowing and willing participant to the unfair, illegal and unsanctioned actions and activities complained of...

REQUEST TO MONITOR ST. PIERRE:

The member(s) of Penn's Team requested that the Commission and/or its agents, representatives or employees closely monitor and observe Pierre and members of Pierre's Team to determine if they applied any substances (Vaseline/petroleum jelly or such other substances that would cause Pierre's body to be and/or become highly and unnaturally slippery) to/on Pierre's body prior to the Bout and to ensure that no substances (Vaseline/petroleum jelly or such other substances that would cause Pierre's body to be and/or become highly and unnaturally slippery) would be and/or was applied to/on Pierre's body during the Bout by members of Pierre's Team.

ACTUAL "GREASING" DURING THE BOUT BY PIERRE:

Notwithstanding the grave concern of Penn and Penn's Team, as well as the direct and explicit warnings made by Penn's Team to the Commission and/or its agents, representatives and/or employees, Pierre was in fact caught by the Commission for "greasing" during the Bout by the application of a substance to his body that created a highly and unnaturally slippery surface.

In addition to the unfair, illegal and unsanctioned act of "greasing," it was also seen and observed that Pierre received excessive or undue spraying or throwing of water during the period of rest between rounds which is a violation of the rules and regulations of the Commission.

HEALTH AND SAFETY OF PENN:

Penn's Team discussed and warned the Commission and/or its agents, representatives or employees about the aforementioned matters for the following reasons including, but not limited to, ensuring a fair and just Bout, ensuring that the rules and regulations of the NRS and NAC were maintained and to ensure the integrity of the sport, the Commission and the laws of the State of Nevada. Notwithstanding such warnings, and as a direct result of the circumstances complained of herein, Penn did in fact suffer a cranial concussion during the Bout; specifically, by Pierre being "greased up" he (Pierre) was able to easily and readily slip out of Penn's renowned defensive and offensive submission holds and techniques. As such, Penn was unable to fairly and properly defend himself in a manner consistent with that contemplated in unarmed combat because of the highly and unnaturally slippery nature of a "greased up" Pierre.

It is Penn's belief and based thereon he alleges that the unfair, illegal and unsanctioned advantages gained by Pierre "greasing up"... illegally and improperly neutralized and nullified Penn's mixed martial arts fighting skills including, but not limited to, Penn's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as he was unable to control, hold or submit a "greased up" Pierre who readily "slipped out" of Penn's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and grappling submission techniques during the Bout.

It is Penn's belief and based thereon he alleges that the aforementioned activities are the equivalent to violating the NRS and NAC rules and regulations relating to the illegal and improper use of banned steroids which is clearly codified in the NRS and NAC.

(The Penn complaint went on to cite several NRS and NAC sections to support its claims and to build a foundation for its request for disciplinary action against St. Pierre and his camp.)

RELIEF SOUGHT AND REQUEST FOR DISCIPLINARY ACTION:

– That the Commission fine Pierre, individually, as well as Jackson, Nurse (his named cornermen) and (other) licensed (unnamed individuals). (Such a fines could be as much as $250,000 per individual.)

– The Commission suspend or revoke Pierre's license as well as (those of Pierre's other licensees.)

– That the Commission... change the result of the Bout to a "no contest."

– That the Commission find that Pierre (and his other licensees acted) as co-conspirators.

– That the Commission require Pierre to undergo and submit to a pre-bout supervised and monitored shower and/or hygiene cleansing upon his arrival to all future bouts to ensure that no substances exist on Pierre's body.

– All other relief that the Commission deems just and proper.

NOTICE OF HEARING AND REQUEST FOR EVIDENCE:

Penn further requests that the Commission schedule the necessary hearings such that (the) Complaint will be addressed in full and the parties be provided with sufficient time to gather and prepare the evidence and to ensure the attendance of witnesses.

Based on the severity of the allegations set forth herein, Penn respectfully requests that the Commission take the appropriate action of temporarily suspending Pierre's license to compete as an unarmed combatant and/or to serve as a second until this matter is fully resolved.

(Editor's Note: While the above wording is taken directly from the complaint filed by Penn and his camp, it is not the full 20-page text that was filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but select points from within the complaint.)

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
2 fights that i really wanna see happen......Evans Vs. Machida (glad it's gonna happen!)
and fedor Vs. Crocop (i'll give it to Fedor if he can work around Crocops leg kicks)
cro cop is done, he my favorite fighter, but dude is done, he looks so flat latley, fighters lose there explosive power then they get older.

Feb 7, 2006
Bellator announces partnership with blue-chip sponsor Ford

Bellator Fighting Championships and TV broadcast partner ESPN Deportes on Wednesday announced a sponsorship agreement with Ford Motor Company.

Ford becomes Bellator's exclusive automotive sponsor. It's the 106-year-old company's first MMA sponsorship.

As part of the deal, Ford ads will appear on Bellator's 12-week run on ESPN Deportes, and the company will sponsor Bellator updates on ESPN's SportsCenter.

The series, titled "Serie de Campeones Highlight," will update viewers on the results of each night while congratulating each winner. "El Camino a la Victoria" vignettes will chronicle the path that each world-class fighter must take in route to the championship.

Bellator, the first-ever ESPN-backed MMA organization, debuts April 3 and hosts events around the U.S. for 12 consecutive weeks. The shows then air on ESPN Deportes via one-day tape delay. Notables such as Eddie Alvarez, Wilson Reis, Hector Lombard and Jorge Masvdial will compete for the organization, which hosts eight-man tournaments in the featherweight, lightweight, welterweight and middleweight divisions.

Many of Bellator's fighters speak Spanish or come from Latino heritage.

According to the press release, the partnership also calls for online sponsorships and in-store promotion at Ford dealerships.

"Bellator's unprecedented access to Latino MMA fans makes them an invaluable partner for Ford since the innovativeness of our products mirrors each other," Manager of Multicultural Marketing at Ford Dave Rodriguez stated. "We are also thrilled to be working with ESPN Deportes to reach Hispanic sports fans via the brand's multimedia touch points."

Bellator will be something of a guinea pig for ESPN, which has traditionally been lukewarm on MMA. The cable network of channels has occasionally included UFC coverage, though that coverage has been spotty at best. However, if Bellator scores decent ratings on ESPN Deportes, it's believed the events could be moved to the more prominent ESPN or ESPN2, though ESPN executives haven't commented publicly on the matter.

Regardless, securing a major sponsorship such as Ford is a step in the right direction.

Feb 7, 2006
Galesic vs. Nakahara, "Minowaman" vs. Shibata added to DREAM.8

A bout between DREAM middleweight grand-prix semifinalist Zelg "Benkei" Galesic (9-4) and Andrews Nakahara (1-1), and a fight between Ikuhisa "Minowaman" Minowa (41-29-8) and Katsuyori Shibata (2-6-1) will take place next month at DREAM.8.

The Japanese-based organization today announced the additions to the fight card, which also features the opening round of DREAM's welterweight grand prix.

DREAM.8 takes place April 5 at the Nippon Gaishi Hall in Nagoya, Japan.

Galesic returns to competition for the first time since his September loss to Ronaldo Souza in the DREAM middleweight grand prix semifinals. He advanced in the tournament with a submission victory over Magomed Sultanakhmedov and a TKO (due to injury) over Taiei Kin. All nine of his victories have come in the first round.

He now meets Nakahara, who's coming off a second-round TKO of Dong Sik Yoon, a fighter who defeated Galesic in 2007.

Minowa, meanwhile, will go for his fourth win in six fights when he meets Shibata. Minowa, a former PRIDE fighter, went 3-2 in 2008 and most recently defeated Errol Zimmerman via first-round submission at DREAM's New Year's Eve event.

Shibata hasn't picked up a win since he went 2-0 in his first two pro bouts. He's since posted a 0-6-1 record, which included a first-round TKO loss to Hayato Sakurai on New Year's Eve. Despite the recent skid, Shibata's losses have come to notables such as Ralek Gracie, Jason Miller and Yoshihiro Akiyama.

Feb 7, 2006
Tyson Griffin vs. Rafael dos Anjos UFN18 bout likely headed to main card

A UFC Fight Night 18 bout between Tyson Griffin (12-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Rafael dos Anjos (11-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) originally scheduled for the night's preliminary card will instead likely be promoted to the night's televised main card.

A source close to the bout today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fight will likely air on the Spike TV portion of the card.

Although not definite, a bout between Jeremy Stephens and Gleison Tibau, who was a late replacement for "The Ultimate Fighter 8" winner Efrain Escudero, could be demoted to the preliminary card.

UFC Fight Night 18 takes place April 1 at the Sommet Center in Nashville, Tenn. It serves as a lead-in for the upcoming ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," which features a U.S. vs. U.K. theme.

The Stephens vs. Escudero fight was originally slated as the night's co-main event until Escudero announced on Wednesday he suffered an injury during training. MMAjunkie.com later learned it was a rib injury that forced his departure from the card.

Meanwhile, having Griffin on the main card should quiet some critics. When the UFC and Spike TV announced the UFN18 main card, many complained that Griffin wasn't on it (especially when Junie Browning vs. Cole Miller was). Although he recently snapped a four-fight win streak with a recent loss to Sean Sherk, Griffin remains a lightweight contender and has won four Fight of the Night bonuses and one Submission of the Night award in his seven UFC fights.

Griffin will meet dos Anjos, who looks for his first UFC win after a devastating knockout loss to Stephens at UF

Feb 7, 2006
Nick Catone vs. Tim Credeur tentatively slated for UFC Fight Night 18

April's UFC Fight Night 18 fight card could swell to an even dozen bouts if a proposed fight between Tim Credeur (11-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Nick Catone (6-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is signed.

Both fighters have been approached about the April 1 bout, though a source close to the negotiations told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at least one fighter may not be ready in time for the Spike TV-televised event.

However, if it does go on, the Credeur vs. Catone bout will be added to the preliminary card of the event, which takes place at the Sommet Center in Nashville, Tenn.

Credeur, a cast member from "The Ultimate Fighter 7," is currently riding a five-fight win streak, which includes back-to-back TKO wins in the UFC over Cale Yarbrough and Nate Loughran. All five of the victories have come via stoppage, four in the first round.

In fact, Credeur, who had considered retiring before his stint on "TUF," is an impressive 10-1 in his past 11 fights. The only loss came to former top WEC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen at a BodogFIGHT event.

Catone, meanwhile, made his octagon debut last month at UFC Fight Night 17. After two previously scheduled bouts with Amir Sadollah were scratched because of injuries suffered by Sadollah, Catone instead met UFC newcomer Derek Downey, whom he defeated via second-round submission (keylock).

Catone hasn't gone to decision since his first pro fight.

Feb 7, 2006
Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar likely but not signed for UFC 100

A light-heavyweight bout between UFC hall-of-famer Mark Coleman (15-9 MMA, 6-4 UFC) and "The Ultimate Fighter 1" runner-up Stephan Bonnar (11-5 MMA, 5-4 UFC) could take place at July's UFC 100 event.

However, a source close to Coleman today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) bout agreements have not been signed and the 44-year-old fighter "didn't hear about the fight until this morning."

UFC 100 takes place July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center and is quickly becoming the can't-miss event of 2009.

UFC 100 is scheduled to feature two title bouts: UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar vs. interim heavyweight title-holder Frank Mir (in a title-unification bout) and UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre vs. top contender Thiago Alves. Additionally, "The Ultimate Fighter 9" coaches Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson are also slated to fight at the event.

Coleman, who announced his return to the UFC after an induction into the organization's hall of fame last year, was originally slated to fight Brock Lesnar in his first fight since announcing a retirement in 2006. However, a knee injury forced Coleman out of that UFC 87 fight, and instead, he met Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 93 in January. Coleman kept things close early, but both fighters fatigued as the bout wore on.

Coleman eventually suffered a third-round TKO. It was his fourth loss in his past six fights.

He could now meet Bonnar, who went 2-0 in 2007. However, he started off the 2009 fight season on a sour note when he dropped a unanimous-decision loss in Jon Jones' impressive UFC debut at UFC 94.

Bonnar, who's battled with inconsistency since joining the UFC in 2005, has now lost three of his past five fights. While the fan favorite is unlikely to be dropped from the organization, Bonnar desperately needs a win.

Feb 7, 2006
ELIOT MARSHALL VS. MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ AT UFC 97

A light heavyweight bout has been added to the UFC's upcoming return to Montreal as "Ultimate Fighter" season 8 submission specialist Eliot Marshall gets back in the Octagon for the first time since the finale show to take on Mike Ciesnolevicz on April 18.

The fight was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the fight who indicated the bout has been agreed upon and bout agreements should be issued shortly.

Eliot Marshall was an early favorite to do well during the 8th season of the "Ultimate Fighter." He did not disappoint after a quick submission win over Shane Primm. Marshall returned for the semifinals, but dropped a decision to eventual show winner Ryan Bader, but then made a successful return in the final show submitting former housemate Jules Bruchez in the first round.

Training with his team in Colorado as well as Greg Jackson's team in New Mexico, Marshall comes into this fight on the heels of helping teammates like Nate Marquardt and Shane Carwin during their camps and now he gets ready for a fight of his own.

His opponent, Mike Ciesnolevicz, will return to the 205-pound weight class after moving up to heavyweight for his UFC debut in February.

The former IFL fighter made a great impression in his first fight in the Octagon, submitting British heavy hitter Neil Grove with a heel hook early in the first round of their match-up.

The bout between Marshall and Ciesnolevicz will be part of the untelevised portion of the pay-per-view broadcast that will boast a main event pitting middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, against Thales Leites.

Feb 7, 2006
Monster Inc.: Kevin Randleman reportedly signs with Strikeforce

Former UFC heavyweight champion, Kevin Randleman, has apparently inked a deal with the San Jose-based Strikeforce promotion to make a return to mixed martial arts action in 2009, according to a report on FightHype.com.

“The Monster” last competed on the second Sengoku card in May 2008, pulling out a unanimous decision victory over Ryo Kawamura (9-3-2). The fight was Randleman’s first MMA bout since 2006 — a submission loss to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at Pride 32: “The Real Deal.”

It’s been a pretty bumpy ride for ex-Hammerhouse fighter.

In addition to surviving a SERIOUS staph infection that could have killed him if went untreated, Randleman — who is now training with XTreme Couture out of Las Vegas — was also stopped for Driving Under the Influence (DUI), intimidating a public officer and other charges in Sin City in late 2007.

He satisfied a one-year suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), which was issued for providing a non-human urine sample following his loss to Rua.

The two-time NCAA Division I Wrestling Champion from Ohio State University defeated Pete Williams at UFC 23 in 1999 to capture the vacant heavyweight title. Randleman’s title reign was brief, however, when Randy Couture stopped him the following year via technical knockout (strikes) at UFC 28 in round three of their championship bout.

Now nearly ten years later, the 37-year old Randleman is looking to recapture some of that old glory.

Here’s a snip:

“If someone is gonna beat me, they better beat me while I’m still getting back in shape.”

The April 11 Strikeforce card will feature Nick Diaz and Frank Shamrock facing off in the evening’s main event at a catchweight of 179 pounds. Also scheduled to do battle is Scott Smith as he faces Benji Radach and Joe Riggs taking on former Elite XC Welterweight Champion Jake Shields.

While Randleman is unlikely to compete that soon, the promotion has a deal with the premium cable network Showtime to air up to sixteen events this year.

It probably won’t be long before we see “The Monster” back inside the cage.

Feb 7, 2006
Brad Blackburn to face Edgar Garcia at TUF 9 Finale

A welterweight matchup between former International Fight League veteran Brad Blackburn and UFC newcomer Edgar Garcia has been scheduled for the live finale for the upcoming ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter on June 20.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned of the matchup from sources close to the fight on Thursday afternoon.

Garcia is a perfect 7-0 and has been transferred to the UFC from its sibling-promotion World Extreme Cagefighting on the heels of his impressive knockout victory over former WEC welterweight title challenger Hiromitsu Miura at WEC 38 in January.

The 31-year old Blackburn is 2-0 since making his UFC debut against James Giboo at UFC Fight Night 14 this past July. Blackburn recorded his second round TKO victory over Giboo when the fight was called to a stop at 2:29 due to a combination of a flying knee and punches.

Blackburn’s most recent win in the Octagon took place at UFC 92 this past December, where he recorded a unanimous decision victory over former PRIDE Bushido standout Ryo Chonan. The win improved his overall record to 13-9-1.

In addition to Blackburn vs. Garcia, the June 20 finale will be headlined by TUF 5 lightweight winner Nate Diaz taking on TUF 2 welterweight winner Joe Stevenson. Set to emanate from the Pearl at the Palms in Las Vegas, the event will also feature the lightweight and welterweight finals from the upcoming season of TUF as well as a welterweight matchup between Anthony Johnson and John Howard.

Feb 7, 2006
Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields to headline Strikeforce’s May event in Seattle

A welterweight matchup between Jake Shields and Joe Riggs that had been planned for Strikeforce’s April 11 debut on Showtime is off.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned of the news from multiple sources close to the fight on Thursday.

Neither Riggs or Shields is injured and one source indicated that Shields is being saved for a possible headlining slot against Robbie Lawler during a tentative Strikeforce event scheduled for May in Seattle.

Sources have confirmed that the Lawler vs. Shields matchup will be officially announced by Strikeforce officials during a Thursday press conference in Los Angeles.

Strikeforce’s April 11 event will take place in San Jose, Calif. and will emanate from the HP Pavilion. Scheduled to headline the show is a 179 pound catchweight bout between former Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock and Nick Diaz.

In addition to Shamrock vs. Diaz, the televised portion of the card will include Josh Thomson defending the Strikeforce lightweight title vs. Gilbert Melendez as well as matchups between Benji Radach vs. Scott Smith and Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos vs. Hitomi Akano.

Feb 7, 2006
Silva’s civil action against CSAC in April

If inside the ring and octagons Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva has defeated all his opponents, the Brazilian hasn’t had much luck out of them. After seeing the EliteXC close the doors and be accused of doping, Silva was again convicted on appeal in the California Athletic Commission, but didn’t give up and appeals now for the civil court. "The hearing against the California Athletic Commission is scheduled for April 2nd, and we are very hopeful for a verdict favorable to us", said Alex Davis, manager of the fighter. "We are with Howard Jacob, a very famous lawyer here in the United States, and he is very confident that Bigfoot will be released".

Feb 7, 2006
Exclusive: Fedor Not Fighting in OWGP

DreamFighters.com was able to speak exclusively with an official at M-1 Global, and confirmed rumors of Fedor possibly fighting in DREAM’s version, of a Open-Weight Grand Prix.

We want to first take the time to thank the guys at M-1. Spasiba!

Today DreamFighters.com got confirmation that Fedor will not be participating in DREAM’s Open-Weight Grand Prix, whenever they plan on having it.

We asked M-1 if there was any truth to this rumor, or statement made by a DREAM Official.

There is no truth in this rumour at all.

No one really thought it was possible for Fedor to enter, but a great deal of people hoped, including every major Croatian news team. After the statment from the DREAM official that they plan to host a Open-Weight Grand Prix, and they want Fedor and Mirko to be in it, right away they hoped for Fedor vs Crocop 2. However, at this time M-1 is saying “No Truth At all” to this statement and rumor.

Feb 7, 2006
Goran Reljic: “I will be Back!”

In a recent interview with Croring.com, Goran Reljic expressed his desire to return to the UFC, as soon as his back injury is close to being 100%.

In the interview (In Croatian), Goran talk’s about the injury, and how sesitive a back disk injury is. However, he states 2 more weeks in the Spa with rehab, and he should be back to full training.

Goran had this to say about a UFC return:

My contract with the UFC has been extended due to my injury. They also expect me to come back, because now a lot of people want to see again in the ring. I come out to fight!, but it all depends on the recovery - concluded Reljić.

Feb 7, 2006
Mirko Crocop NOT Fighting In Serbia

Recent rumors has placed Mirko Crocop fighting in Serbia at the Belgrade sports arena in a new MMA event, however Mirko has confirmed he will not be fighting there.

In a recent interview with Croatia Sports (Sportal) Mirko Crocop spoke about rumors of him fighting in Serbia and recent DREAm rumors.

When asked about the rumors regarding fighting in Belgrade, he stated:

- No from me. Belgrade has not called, nor any organization I know that there would be such a show organized. I Do not plan to compete there.

Mirko also said something interesting about Him and Fedor when asked about rumors of DREAM’s OWGP.

Fedor and I hope of the return, and come - said Mirko.

Mirko also stated something very interesting regarding his next fight, and who he will be fighting:

The desire of Japan is that in July avenge my fight with Alistair Overeem and by K-1 rules. I have nothing against continuing last year ended the fight.