MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Bartimus Could Be In Line For Title Shot With Win

As the WEC event in Corpus Christi, TX fast approaches, Bart "Bartimus" Palaszewski is focused and ready to face tough lightweight competitor, Richard Crunkilton.

The bout is pivotal in the WEC's growing lightweight division as either fighter could be seen as future contender in the division, but while champion Jamie Varner has said he would be honored to fight the former IFL stand-out it's Palaszewski who is only looking at the fight directly in front of him.

"I'm not looking past Crunkilton right now but I am looking to get in and finish this fight" Bart said on the Suckerpunch Entertainment site. "Of course I’m looking for the KO but if it goes to the ground I may have to show my Team Curran BJJ."

"I want to win this for my teammates and my family who have always supported me, I want to thank my sponsors as well, they have really stepped up for me in this fight and I don’t want to let them down."

With a win, Bart may be in line for the title shot, although many believe that a rematch between Varner and Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone could happen as soon as the champion is cleared to fight again after suffering multiple injuries in their last bout in January.

As for Bartimus, he's ready to get "Crunk" and then he'll worry about his title shot.

Bart Palaszewski will be a special guest tonight on MMAWeekly Radio to talk about the upcoming fight and the future of the WEC's lightweight division. Also UFC newcomer, Ryan "The Lion" Madigan will stop by the show to talk about his fight against Tamdan McCrory at UFC 96.

Feb 7, 2006
Jon ‘Bones’ Jones: It’s not who you know, it’s how hard you work

I kind of had the impression they gave Stephan (Bonnar) the fight against me to give him a good comeback fight, fighting a guy who’s inexperienced. I didn’t want to be anyone’s stepping stone so I decided to reach out and grab this opportunity and make Stephan Bonnar my stepping stone … I knew beating Stephan would be gigantic for me. I believe you really don’t need the biggest name coaches to be successful in your career. I’m out here in a little small town in upstate New York, there is no one on my coaching staff you’ve ever heard of, but we know how to work hard and we know how to push ourselves. We proved it. You don’t need the big names to be successful.

Feb 7, 2006
Gouveia focused on Marquardt and possible title shot with a win

Wilson Gouveia trains at one of the best MMA training camps in the world, American Top Team. But even with the star-studded roster at ATT, almost every fighter there will point to Gouveia as the most talented fighter in the camp.

Gouveia has tried to cultivate that talent in the light heavyweight division and had early success. After a loss to Keith Jardine in his first UFC bout, he rattled off four wins in a row before running into a speed bump that goes by the name Goran Reljic.

After losing to Reljic, Gouveia decided to re-invent himself at middleweight with the hopes of fast tracking himself to a title shot in a much less crowded division. With two quick wins in the middleweight division, Gouveia finds himself on the precipice of the middleweight elite with only a win over Nate Marquardt standing in his way.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com was able to catch up with Gouveia as he prepared to leave for his UFC 95 fight this Saturday in London. I was able to get his thoughts on a wide range of topics from his thoughts on Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn to if a win over Marquardt should guarantee him a title shot.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: How was your camp?

Wilson Gouveia: The Training has been amazing, very intense so far. No injuries, I feel great and can’t wait to fight.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: As this is your third fight at 185 lbs., is the weight cut getting any easier for you?

Wilson Gouveia: I will give you a good explanation about everything that happened. When I fought (Ryan) Jensen it was my first cut to 185lbs and I was very afraid to not make the weight so I started losing the weight three weeks before the fight. It came off very easy, I was 185lbs two days before the weigh-in so it was very easy for me. For the Jason MacDonald fight I was over confident because it was so easy the first time that I thought it would be just as easy the next time. It was a huge mistake because I miss the cut the last day of weigh ins and I think I had some salt two days before weigh-ins so that made me hold some water. I learned my lesson and a week before the fight I am already under 200 lbs. and everything looks very good.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: How much weight do you cut the day of weigh-ins?

Wilson Gouveia: To be honest that Friday morning I do not want to be more than one pound over. I may even wake up 185 lbs. exactly on Friday morning. Every interview I give I am asked about this so I don’t want to take chances.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: How many pounds do you think you put back on between weigh-ins and the fight?

Wilson Gouveia: It depends you know? In my first fight at 185 lbs. I think I put back 15 or 18 pounds. I think in this fight I will be around 200 lbs. by the fight.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: If you win the fight with Marquardt, do you see yourself ready for a shot at Anderson Silva’s title or would you like another fight first?

Wilson Gouveia: This is a tough question, I am not different from anyone else in my position, of course I want my shot at the title. I want my chance to fight for the belt. But at the end of the day the UFC decides who I fight next.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: You train at one of the biggest fight camps in the country, American Top Team. Do you have one main training partner or do you train with everyone regardless of size?

Wilson Gouveia: I train pretty much with everyone, but usually the heavier guys like Thiago Alves, Thiago Silva, and Antonio Silva.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: If given the opportunity would you like a rematch with Goran Reljic?

Wilson Gouveia: Well I never pick my fights but of course I would like a rematch. He says he wants to drop to 185 lbs. also, but I don’t think he can make the weight. When we fought at 205 lbs., he is a pretty big guy and dehydrated to make 205 lbs. He is 6’3” or 6’4”, he is a very big guy. He was very lean at 205 lbs., I just don’t see him making 185 lbs. but who knows? I would love a rematch.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: Most MMA fighters have different opinions on video study. Do you watch video on your opponents or do you just let your trainers do that for you?

Wilson Gouveia: Sometimes I do and sometimes I do not. I am not the guy who keeps watching his opponents video over and over. My coaches do that, they search the videos and try to find the weaknesses of my opponents, what they do good and what they don’t do so good. I have seen one or two fights of Nate’s, I have a lot of respect for him. After the champ I think he is the number one guy at 185 lbs. He has good striking, good wrestling, and good Jiu-Jitsu. I expect a really tough fight.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: Without giving any gameplan away, do you see yourself with a distinct advantage in any one area?

Wilson Gouveia: To be honest, I see his wrestling as better than mine of course, but I see my striking as better than his striking. He says he is a pretty strong guy and I believe him. But I don’t think he has any idea what’s coming. He needs 10 shots sometimes to drop his opponent, but I only need one punch to drop someone. So he can be a very strong guy with his wrestling and on the floor, but he can’t compare to the punching power I have to what he’s got.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: If you win this fight and they offer you a title shot with Anderson Silva but inform you that the wait might be six to nine months before Silva is ready to defend against you, would you be ok with waiting or would you want another fight in between and risk the title shot?

Wilson Gouveia: That’s a good question. Probably that is a conversation I have with my manager and my camp but to have that conversation I have to beat Marquardt and that will not be an easy task. I will focus on Marquardt and dream about the title shot.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: What are your thoughts on the other middleweight bout on the card, Demian Maia versus Chael Sonnen?

Wilson Gouveia: I think Maia has incredible Jiu Jitsu, but I am not impressed with Sonnen at all. He is a good fighter, don’t get me wrong, but he has 1 win and 2 losses in the UFC. I think he is gonna get his third loss. His last fight he beat Paulo Filho, Ok, but who knows if Filho should have even fought with all his personal problems. I think Sonnen is going to be in big trouble with Maia. But MMA is MMA, you never know what is going to happen.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: I have noticed that traditionally you have averaged about two fights a year until 2008. In 2008 you have four fights and even this fight is on about 10 weeks turn around. Do you prefer to fight often or is this just how the schedule broke out for you?

Wilson Gouveia: I can’t complain the way the UFC has treated me. I can’t complain at all. I love those guys. I guess they like me. I know guys that only fight once a year. It is very hard. This is how I feed my family so I gotta keep fighting. I am not a champion yet so I am not making the huge money but I make decent money and I want to keep it that way. The more you fight the more money you make. I want to keep doing that. If you ask me I want to fight every month.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: Will the travel over to London for UFC 95 effect your preparation at all?

Wilson Gouveia: Last year around the same time, I think I fought in January in New Castle, England. I have no complaints. I like the British fans over there, they are pretty cool. They are very respectful people. I know it’s a little cold over there, and I don’t like the cold, but its my job and I will do what I have to do.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: Is the food as bad over there as every fighter says it is?

Wilson Gouveia: No the food is not very good at all. But I will be on a diet, I won’t be eating much. I will be bringing my food with me so it won’t make a difference.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: What were your thoughts on the Georges St Pierre versus B.J .Penn fight?

Wilson Gouveia: I am always a big fan of B.J. Penn. I was expecting a better fight than that but I guess it wasn’t his day. But I guarantee that B.J. will be back and stronger than ever. But I am not impressed with GSP, my boy Thiago (Alves) is going to fight him and I think a lot of people will be shocked after that fight.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: What hobbies do you have outside of fighting? What do you do on your down time?

Wilson Gouveia: I was trying to be a pilot about five years ago. Actually I have about 150 hours logged in little planes. I have a lot of friends that are pilots and they take me to fly jets sometimes. That is my main hobby. I have a flight simulator at home with everything, controllers, throttle, and three monitors. I spend a lot of time on it. I also love to play video games with my son. He is six years old and he loves video games. We play everything.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com: Wilson, thank you so much for your time. Any sponsors you would like to thank?

Wilson Gouveia: I would just like to tell my fans and friends that I am very prepared for this fight and I will do my best to give an exciting performance.

Feb 7, 2006
Rory Markham: “Pat Miletich invests himself 100 percent, he is the best trainer in the world”

At every UFC show, there is one fight designated by matchmaker Joe Silva as a potential show stealer. At UFC 95 this Saturday in London, the match expected to set the night on fire is Rory Markham against hometown star Dan Hardy.

Hardcore fans know all about Markham’s penchant for amazing fights-UFC fans got a taste for the first time with his dynamic knockout of Brodie Farber at UFC Fight Night 14 this past July.

FiveOuncesofPain.com recently had the chance to talk with Markham about his fight with Hardy, keeping his mind right, and stepping into some big shoes in Bettendorf.

Jonathan Snowden: Dan Hardy is on his home turf. How much inspiration does it give you, to know the odds are stacked against you and that the crowd will be solidly against you? How does that affect your mental preparation for the fight?

Rory Markham: It adds a little extra anxiety, a little extra stress. Of course, if you know how to use that as fuel, you can turn it into a positive emotion, which I have learned over the years. I’m using it to get out of bed earlier, make sure I do my miles, my sprints, just making my life training a little easier.

Jonathan Snowden: I’ve talked to other fighters that have gotten offended in your situation, like Zuffa is putting you in to lose to the hometown guy. Do you think that’s the case, or are they just looking for an exciting fight?

Rory Markham: I think they are absolutely looking for an exciting fight. More than anything, I’m very pleased with where the UFC has put me on this card. I think anyone that would think I’d be brought in there to lose wouldn’t be a very educated fan. I think this is a very well matched fight. I see a lot of strengths where I can implement my game plan and I think this is a very good fight for me. I think I was brought in to England because I’m exciting, he’s primarily a standup fighter, and it’s a good recipe to fill a card that needs an exciting bout. That’s why it’s taken the priority it has on the night’s televised card.

Jonathan Snowden: Obviously, like you said, he’s a standup fighter. He’s been over to China to explore the striking arts.How will that play into your game plan, knowing many of the British fighters have a weakness defending the takedown? Will you try to exploit a weakness and take him to the ground?

Rory Markham: I going to try, in every fight not just this one, to go out there and be a better fighter. Be a better version of my former self. I model myself after Georges St. Pierre. Georges is doing the right things. He still goes out there, implements a game plan, but still finds a way to make it very exciting for the fans. Every time we see GSP compete, he’s a better version of himself. That’s something I’m looking for, from the educated MMA fans. I want them to tune in and say ‘Every time I see Rory he just looks better and better.’ That’s something I’m looking forward to in this journey.

Jonathan Snowden: You’ve never fought to a decision before. Win or lose, it’s always been decisively. What does it mean to you? Is that kind of a by-product of trying to be an exciting fighter?

Rory Markham: Yeah, I think it’s directly a by-product of trying to be an exciting fighter. My biggest concern, coming up in the IFL and now trying to reestablish myself in the UFC, is that I want the fans to tune in and know they’re going to get an exciting bout. I don’t want anyone to go ‘Oh God, here’s this kid fighting again. Everybody go make popcorn.’ I want to make sure that they now when they tune in they’re going to get their money’s worth. I don’t want them glued to their seats. I want them standing up when I’m fighting. That’s something I really pride myself in.

The layman can identify with a back and forth standup fight easier than they can a fight on the ground now. I would love for, ten years from now, everyone to understand the ground game. But let’s be honest-more often than not, guys come to a fight and they want to see knockouts. They want to see exciting standup fights. And that was always a very big concern. It’s still an enormous concern for me, but I also want to go out there and prove to my fans that I’m becoming a better mixed martial artist.

Jonathan Snowden: Chris Lytle and others publicly proclaim that they are going to try for fight of the night honors. Is that something that you think about? How important is it, as an up and coming fighter, to get that extra cash bonus? Is that a big motivator for you?

Rory Markham: Absolutely, but that’s something that’s so out of my control. If you focus on that, it’s going to take away from your game. All you can do is hope you have the style to produce the end result- a fight of the night, a knockout of the night, a submission of the night. You’ve just got to let that become a by product of the fight and not focus on that at all.

Definitely against Farber, I didn’t go in there and say ‘Alright, it’s time to get knockout of the night.’ I just went int there to fight how I fight and what’s going to come to me is going to come to me. I just think my style is made to win fight of the night or knockout of the night more often than not.

Jonathan Snowden: I just finished reading the book Blood in the Cage?

Rory Markham: Yeah!

Jonathan Snowden: It features you quite a bit. Are you still living above the gym?

Rory Markham: That’s where I’m at right now.

Jonathan Snowden: Besides having no excuses for missing practice, how does that help you stay focused on the fight game? Is it that healthy to be so tied into that world, even when you try to go home?

Rory Markham: What’s great about it for me, is that I get to come up here to Iowa I get to live above the gym and you’re right. There’s no excuses. There’s no travel. It’s kind of like I’m on a ship. I don’t have to go anywhere. I’m all set. My foods here and I just have to walk downstairs. The gym door is directly next to my front door. This is my Rocky environment. I come down here, the apartment’s not in the best shape, there’s a draft, there’s no T.V. Marvin Hagler (legendary boxer) said it best: ‘How do you get up and run at 4 a.m. when you’re sleeping on silk sheets?’ This is my domain. It puts me in the right state of mind and gets me ready for war.

At the same time, to answer the other part of your question, a big part of my training camp is going back to Chicago on the weekends, going back to my hometown. Every single weekend without fail. I own a house there, stay with my girlfriend and we hang out. We push the reset button, unplug, turn off both of our phones, and focus in. It’s a good time to let the fight world go. My friends know not to try to call me and talk about fighting. So when I come back here, to Iowa, I’m ready to focus and do my work. I couldn’t even tell you how to get to a bar in Iowa.

Jonathan Snowden: That’s a good plan. It sounds like you are keeping your life balanced that way.

Rory Markham: I model it after Matt Hughes. He was the first to do it. I really looked hard at him and figured if he could do it, I could do it. He had such great success with it and that’s what I’m finding.

Jonathan Snowden: What does Pat Miletich provide as a trainer that makes him stand out?

Rory Markham: What’s great about Pat, and under no circumstance am I knocking any other trainer, I really truly believe that when Pat invests himself 100 percent, he is the best trainer in the world. Most trainers out there, in some way, shape, or form, have modeled themselves after Pat. He was the first one to find the successful recipe to make champions. He has more world champions than any trainer in the entire world.
When I get my morning sessions with him, when I get my hour alone with him, it’s just like Yoda teaching me the Force. He just knows all these little nuances. I can do something 110 percent perfect, but he can always find a way to change it and make it just a little bit better. He has so many outs and options for me. He’s just a wealth of knowledge. I know I’ll never be able to tap that well.

Jonathan Snowden: How has the split, even though it’s been friendly, between Pat and Hughes affected you and your training? I know Robbie Lawler has been a particularly inspirational voice in your corner in the past?

Rory Markham: It’s a little different. For me, I just always look for the positives. I get a little bit more of Pat’s time now. Now I’m one of the premiere leaders in the gym. I’m one of the two or three guys who help lead the gym. Most importantly I get more of Pat’s time. I know that Pat was the one who made Matt and Rob the fighters they are today. That’s just the reality of it. Having more of his time is only going to benefit my career.

Matt and Rob, they helped me out immensely. They’re very, very missed. I still stay in touch with them. We’re still great friends. Rob especially, in my corner and as such a great friend. And Matt, in that he showed me the ropes. I wasn’t as nervous at my first UFC, because I’d been to a couple with Matt. I’ve gotten a lot from them and I welcome my new position as a leader in the gym.

Jonathan Snowden: How much pressure is it to step into a leadership roll in a gym that’s seen Jeremy Horn, Jens Pulver, Hughes, and Tim Sylvia. You’re kind of filling that roll now. How much pressure is that on you?

Rory Markham: None at all. It’s very welcome. I’m a little more apt to tell guys what to do. In a very nice way of course, in a learning environment. I get to show them how to do certain techniques. Guys are looking to me now wondering ‘How does he do it? Okay, I’ll do it like that too.’ It gives me great introspection into my own technique. If I’m going to reiterate it and try to teach it, I’m going to make sure I’m doing it properly and saying it correctly. I think it’s making me a better fighter. I welcome the responsibility.

Jonathan Snowden: You guys still have plenty of great fighters, but in the overall scheme of things it seems to be a down period in the history of Miletich Fighting Systems. How does that affect the training and attitude in the gym? Does it make you hungrier to try to regain that status?

Rory Markham: The great thing about it is that it’s made Pat hungrier. He’s reinvested himself. Everybody goes through hills and valleys. There’s time when you need to invest yourself in your gym and there’s times when you need to invest yourself in other things. With Pat reinvested in us, every morning we’re back to team practices, he’s teaching us things. Just from this six to eight week camp alone, I’ve learned a ton. Enough to go over for a year and work on. Having him back, you’re going to see a lot more champions. Not only that, but after a changing of the guard, it takes everyone a year or two to catch their stride again. We had all those champions and now it’s young guys. Myself, Ryan McGivern, Ben Rothwell, L.C. Davis, Jesse Lennox. It’s a changing of the guard. Those guys are going to come forward and we’re going to show the world a new Miletich team.

Jonathan Snowden: How has fighting in the UFC been different than fighting in the IFL or Adrenaline MMA?

Rory Markham: Me and Mike C. (Mike Ciesnolevicz) were talking about this last night. We were sitting next to each other and Mike C said ‘I could fight all over the world, any country, any continent, any show, and if I didn’t make it to the UFC, I wouldn’t have accomplished what I set out to do.’ I felt the same way. AS a fighter, we all aspire to be there. It’s the pinnacle of the sport. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to convince themselves of something that’s not true. It’s the pinnacle of the sport. We all know it. It’s where the best talent is, the best competition. In all reality, it’s the big leagues. When you make it, you can say you’ve been to the end of the earth in this sport. I really don’t think if I’d gone on to have a very successful career elsewhere in other organizations, I don’t think I’d feel 100 percent satisfied. I think I’m right where I’m supposed to be.

Jonathan Snowden: All that said, I was a big fan of the IFL. Why do you think the IFL didn’t make it? Everyone associated with it seemed to love it? What are your thoughts about coming up in the IFL as a young fighter?

Rory Markham: What a great experience for me. It was the perfect opportunity. It groomed me for these moments in the UFC. What an excellent idea, especially for fighters. We had five other guys fighting next to us. We had our coaches with us. That was the best part of it, that team camaraderie, busting chops and joking around with one another.

I fought some pretty tough guys in the IFL and it gave me a great sense of security in these upcoming fights. I’m not really that nervous about going to London to fight a guy in his hometown. I’ve been there and done that against guys from the hometown teams in the IFL. It’s nothing new to us.

Jonathan Snowden: How concerned are you about the referee in a fight. I know you’ve been knocked down several times and then come back to win. How much do you worry about an early stoppage? How much do you think about how the referee will respond in the cage?

Rory Markham: You think about it for a second or two when you get hurt. That’s when I tell myself, ‘You better get moving because I’m not going to have this guy stop it on a phony call.’ I try to give the referee the look, an eyeball, to let him know, ‘I’m okay man.’ I hope to God he’s watched some tape on me, because I can take a beating.

Jonathan Snowden: That’s for certain. One thing we’ve learned, watching you fight, is that you have a lot of heart and determination. How much of your success is skill and technique, how much is athleticism, and how much of it is that warrior spirit?

Rory Markham: I’d say 50 percent technique, zero percent athleticism, and 100 percent heart and warrior spirit.

Jonathan Snowden: There are so many great fighters in the UFC in your weight class. You talked about GSP being one of your role models. Are you ready to compete with the likes of GSP?

Rory Markham: I think this fight will definitely give us a barometer for where I am. That’s why I’m looking forward to it. I think it’s the perfect opponent for me-he has one win in the UFC and I have one win in the UFC. He has roughly 20 fights, I have 20 fights. We will see where I’m at. It’s the perfect test for me.

Jonathan Snowden: How much did training with an elite 170 pounder like Hughes help? Does it give you confidence that you can compete with a guy like that?

Rory Markham: Rolling with Matt, getting my butt kicked by Matt, was always great for me. Him and Pat, the two most dominating welterweights to ever grace the UFC, going with them full out always gave me great confidence.

Jonathan Snowden: What should fans expect from your fight on Saturday

Rory Markham: Obviously, excitement. If anyone knows me as a fighter, they know I fight with my heart. It’s no secret that I can take a punch and I go out there and immerse myself in the fight. I try to have fun with it. That’s the biggest thing for me. I hope to get hit less, have an exciting battle, and hope I win a lot of fans. Especially the ones in England, because my ultimate goal is to be an internationally recognized fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC’s Marshall (Zelaznik) Plan For Europe

The UFC’s moves in the European market seem to be coming at a fast and furious pace. TV deals for France and Germany have been announced within the lat week. Zac Robinson with Sports By The Numbers MMA analyzes the situation and places the TV deals in the context of what may be the best route for success in the Continental Europe market:

Both of these deals really pave the way for the UFC’s move into Europe. With UFC 99 in Cologne, Germany in June, many wondered how it would be received due to the limited number of MMA fans in the country. The signing of TV deals in Germany and neighboring France has the potential to significantly increase attendance at UFC 99.

This alone however may not be enough. That is why I expect the UFC will announce shortly that numerous fighters in the general vicinity of Cologne will sign on to fight at 99, including Alistair Overeem and Semmy Schilt. And finally, to ensure the event is a sellout, the UFC should also advertise to and rely on the American Military community located in Europe. They have been receiving live pay-per-views for years now and the promotion has a considerable fan base within this community.

The above should ensure that the UFC’s first foray into Germany will be a success and open the doors for further expansion into Europe. And now with the announced TV deals, the promotion is further entrenching itself on the continent, at least to some degree ensuring that those future events will be a success as well.

The military angle is an excellent angle, one that had escaped most folk’s thoughts up to this point. Between that and working deals for the possible use of some of the high profile Dutch guys like Shilt and Overeem should give the UFC the best possible chance for success.

Feb 7, 2006
Werdum can fight in Brazil at December

In the Clube da Luta, an event that prepares a great edition for March 21st in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Eduardo Maiorino hopes to begin a journey towards to the top. "I will fight now on March 21st against a guy named Hulk... He only has three fights, but seems to be very hard. For almost ten years working with the Master Sérgio Batarelli, I met Márcio Curi, promoter of Clube da Luta, and we signed a five fights contract for this year, being the main fight in December, against Fabricio Werdum", celebrates the fighter, excited to the greatest chance of his career.

"As an athlete, obviously that everybody respect and admire the career and a job well done in all places that I work. My standing technique was fully refined and my ground worked well. By December, I’ll be a ninja (laughs). Inside the ring, I never respected anyone and it won’t be now that I will. Certainly we will make a show and, if anyone thinks that if putting me on the ground I will be submitted, is mistaken. I will hit, take blood and I can get you", promises, working hard in the preparation.

"I come from a difficult season in my career because of personal problems that I’ve passed, but I promise for those who believe in me that, in 2009, Eduardo Maiorino will be back to do a great show in the rings of Muay Thai and MMA. I believe that, with two years without fighting MMA and training with the Master Nilson Pulgatti and friends who also help in Jiu-Jitsu, fans will see that I’m not only a striker, I’ll submit too", says the fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
K-1 champion training in Brazil for Sengoku

One of the greatest Kickboxing fighters in the world, Peter Graham is in Brazil to work his ground game focused on his next challenge. Experienced striking fighter, K-1 World GP 2003 champion is training at Gracie Barra Campo Grande team, led by Professor Nilson Pulgatti, the Jiu-Jitsu part for his fight at Sengoku, in March. "We will do a belt examination today to Peter, who is here training with me for two months. Peter came here to train for fight in Sengoku, in March", says Nilson. Despite of having two losses in that time fought MMA, the Australian’s record is impressive. In 77 fights of Kickboxing and Boxing, Graham got 60 victories, against 14 losses and three draws.

Feb 7, 2006
Alistair Overeem vs Remy Bonjasky ?

In a recent interview with Mixfight.nl it appears Alistair Overeem is trying his hands again at a K-1 fight, but this time with K-1 2008 GP winner, Remy Bonjasky.

The source states that Overeem’s management has set up the fight and offered it to Remy, and are just waiting to see if Remy accepts the fight or not.

DreamFighters.com has contacted Overeem’s management, and will be conducting an interview later today, and we will bring you all the details!

Feb 7, 2006
Norifumi 'Kid' Yamamoto: "I'm a challenger in this tournament"

Dream held a press conference at Krazy Bee Tokyo on February 19. The featherweight tournament fight cards and 3 additional fighters were announced: Norifumi 'Kid” Yamamoto, Yoshiaki Maeda and AbelCullum. Kid Yamamoto is seeded into the second round.

Norifumi 'Kid' Yamamoto:
I have recovered 70~80% so far and am still undergoing rehabilitation now. I will be fully recovered in May. I found what I was missing, such as weight training and balance, during the rehabilitation and currently working on my weakness. I am a challenger in this tournament because I feel like other participants are stronger and in better shape. I'm training hard to catch up with them now, and I believe I can come back. I saw the UFC in Las Vegas last month and excited to see their enthusiastic fans. I want to fight there once after proving myself in Japan.

Yoshiaki Maeda:
I haven't fought in Japan for a while. Pancrase and Sengoku have a business partnership, yet I chose Dream because I this participants in Dream were amazing.

Feb 7, 2006
Russia Imperial Team set to begin defense of M-1 Challenge title this Saturday during "M-1 Challenge presented by AFFLICTION" 20

Amsterdam, Holland -- While the name of the team may have changed from Russia Red Devil to Russia Imperial Team, the roster from the defending 2008 M-1 Challenge World Champions remain the same.

All five members of last year's five-man championship squad are scheduled for action this Saturday at the Emerald Queen Casino (tickets currently available at Ticketmaster.com) near Tacoma, Washington during the "M-1 Challenge Presented by Affliction" (www.M1Mixfight.com) 2009 regular season opener.

Feb 7, 2006
Barnett Becomes Top Contender for WAMMA HW Title

Orlando, Florida -- Following Andrei Arlovski's first round knockout loss against WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko during last month's Affliction and M-1 "Day of Reckoning" event, the pollsters for the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts (WAMMA) have voted on a new number one heavyweight contender in its latest rankings release for the month of February.

The rankings, now available at GoWAMMA.com, feature Affliction-contracted heavyweight Josh Barnett (24-5) as the new top contender to the WAMMA heavyweight crown.

Published reports began to circulate soon after DOR that Affliction promoters were looking to sign a match this summer between Emelianenko and Barnett. A fight between the two has yet to be finalized but Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio stated in a video interview with the web site FiveOuncesOfPain.com that he was "hoping" to be able to make the match happen. If signed, it would go down as the first-ever head-to-head match between the two former PRIDE heavyweight stars.

To the surprise of almost no one, officials with WAMMA would have no hesitation regarding sanctioning a title fight between the two.

"While PRIDE's heavyweight champion, Fedor fought just about all of the top heavyweights on the promotion's roster including Mirko Cro Cop, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and Mark Coleman," said WAMMA Chief Operating Officer Michael Lynch. "However, the one fight that never happened for various reasons was a showdown between Fedor and Barnett. I don't think there's a diehard fan in existence who wouldn't want to see that matchup take place.

"Barnett's resume speaks for itself and I can honestly tell you that if Affliction is able to make Fedor vs. Barnett happen, then WAMMA will be on board as far as sanctioning the fight as a heavyweight title bout."

Another notable change in WAMMA's February rankings was the debut of Vitor Belfort as the ninth rated middleweight in the world.

The move into the top ten middleweights is another milestone in the talented Brazilian's remarkable MMA comeback. Once considered a consensus top ten light heavyweight, Belfort slowly began to fade due to personal issues as well as disappointing performances in the cage and ring.

However, since dropping to 185 pounds, Belfort has resurrected his career by going 2-0. Last month's win at DOR against then-sixth ranked Matt Lindland was enough to catapult Belfort into the top ten.

"Vitor apparently has been spending a lot of time at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas training with Shawn Tompkins and the hard work has certainly paid off," said Lynch. "With one punch he was able to get people in the MMA industry clamoring for a match vs. Anderson Silva. Belfort's return to the top creates a lot of other potential future matchups that would carry a lot of intrigue. Who wouldn't want to see fights between Belfort and Gegard Mousasi or Robbie Lawler?"

There were also a couple of big moves in WAMMA's light heavyweight rankings. Lyoto Machida is now the new consensus number two ranked WAMMA light heavyweight behind only UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans. Machida was able to make the move from four to two following his first round knockout of Thiago Silva last month at UFC 94.

Also, Renato "Babalu" Sobral's decisive victory over Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou at DOR caused WAMMA's collective group of pollsters to vote him as the tenth ranked light heavyweight in the world.

To see other notable changes feel free to go to GoWAMMA.com to see February's rankings in their entirety.

WAMMA's pollster committee -- featuring nationally recognized MMA experts such as AOL MMA Fanhouse's Michael David Smith, Mike Straka of FoxNews.com's Fight Game, and Jon Anik of ESPN.com's MMA Live -- will convene again on March 16.

Feb 7, 2006
Daley Misses Weight for MFC 20

ENOCH, Alberta -- Paul Daley failed to make weight for his bout with former Bodog Fight welterweight champion Nick Thompson at Maximum Fighting Championship 20. Daley checked in at 171.5 pounds at Thursday’s official weigh-in and will forfeit 25 percent of his pay to Thompson.

“I really want to apologize to the MFC and to Nick Thompson for missing weight,” Daley said. “I don’t know why; I hope I’m not making this a habit. Maybe it’s, in part, [due] to the 20-hour flight.”

Daley (19-7-2) has missed weight for each of his past two fights. In December, he came in four pounds overweight for his bout with UFC veteran John Alessio at MFC 19. Daley defeated Alessio by technical knockout midway through the second round.

All other fighters made weight successfully, including MFC welterweight champion Pat Healy (169) and his challenger, Ryan Ford (171).

MFC 20 “Destined for Greatness” will air live on HDNet at 10 p.m. ET on Friday.

MFC 20 “Destined for Greatness”
Friday, Feb. 20
River Cree Resort and Casino
Enoch, Alberta

MFC Welterweight Championship
Ryan Ford (171) vs. Pat Healy (169)

MFC Lightweight Championship
Antonio McKee (155) vs. Derrick Noble (155)

Paul Daley (171.5) vs. Nick Thompson (170)
Rory Singer (185.5) vs. Bryan Baker (182)
Roger Hollett (204) vs. David Heath (204)
Solomon Hutcherson (185.5) vs. David Mewborn (185)
Simon Marini (155) vs. Ryan Machan (155)
Alain Hernandez (155) vs. Evan Sanguin (153)
Donovan Foley (151) vs. Josh Russell (151)
Richard Symons (200) vs. Brad Zazulak (197)

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 95: BRIAN COBB UNFAZED AS LATE ADDITION

The path to the top of any profession is rarely straight and predictable. More often than not, opportunities may arise in the most unexpected ways.

For lightweight Brian Cobb, finding his way to the Ultimate Fighting Championship proved to be unconventional.

Having spent the majority of his career in smaller shows, building his name up, Cobb had just come off a Palace Fighting Championship 155-pound title defense when out of the blue he received an offer to replace injured Justin Buchholz and make his UFC debut in just over a week all the way across the Atlantic at London’s 02 Arena.

Without a second thought, he said yes.

“I was kind of overwhelmed,” he said of the initial call to compete at UFC 95 on Saturday. “I had a bunch of stuff that had to get done. I had to get an eye exam, make sure all my paperwork was signed and sent back, and have basically been running around since (I got the call to fight), trying to get stuff done to make sure this can happen.

“The timing feels kind of God sent. I know it sounds really weird, but I just feel it was meant to be. I was training for a fight right around the same time, and camp-wise and opponent-wise nothing really changed. I’m grateful for the opportunity and the timing’s nearly perfect.”

Taking a fight on short notice is hard enough, but to travel from his native California all the way to London, England, one would think could cause Cobb all sorts of trouble, but not so says he.

“I’m flying out Monday, so I have plenty of time to recover and adjust,” stated Cobb. “I have sleep apnea and weird stuff, so I’ve got kind of a quirky schedule anyway, so it’s not really going to bother me too much.

“I’d rather get an opportunity to go to London and fight out there, fight somebody that lives there in their hometown and be the underdog and beat them, than not. If I’ve got to fly to the moon, I’ll take the chance.”

At UFC 95 Cobb will make his debut against veteran Terry Etim, who is rebounding with a win against Sam Stout last October after losing two fights in a row.

According to Cobb it really doesn’t matter who he fights, as his strategy never changes.

“We talked a little bit to the camp that was training for him before, and it feels like he fits into my style really well,” said Cobb of Etim. “I know background-wise he’s a good kickboxer, but surprisingly nine of his 11 wins are by submission.

“He’s pretty well-rounded. I’ll have to be cautious in certain places, but it’s pretty much the same game plan as I always have – stick to my strengths and keep him out of his comfort zone.”

Not to look past his opponent this coming Saturday, his goals for the future within the promotion are simple.

“It’s a four-fight deal with two being guaranteed, so the goal is to win both those fights, then win the third and fourth and be asked back,” he commented. “I’d like to potentially finish out my career (with the company), or remain in the UFC as long as possible.”

While things may not have gone exactly as planned for Cobb to make his way to the UFC, he’ll take what opportunities he gets and plans on making the most of it, anywhere he can.

“I want to thank Fairtex, Dirty Boxer, ClinchGear, Bakersfield Jiu-Jitsu, Battlebase Strength & Health, my family, friends and anyone else I may have forgotten,” he closed out. “I appreciate all the support and hopefully I’ll go over there and come back with a win.

“I know they’ll definitely be rooting for their hometown guy from Liverpool, but hopefully by when the fights over I’ll have won over some new English fans.”

Feb 7, 2006
Ikemoto Secures Spot in Dream Grand Prix

TOKYO -- Deep welterweight champion Seichi Ikemoto punched his ticket to the Dream welterweight grand prix with a TKO victory over Hidetaka Monma in the main event of Friday night’s Deep 40 Impact at Korakuen Hall.

Fresh off his thrilling comeback victory over Andre Mafetoni in last November’s Cage Force EX, Monma looked to be the favorite in the bout, particularly given his dominant arm-triangle win over Ikemoto in January 2004. Both fighters started the bout trading low kicks, but it was Ikemoto’s limbs that covered the distance better to rack up offensive points. During an exchange on the feet, a grazing Ikemoto fist to Monma’s right eye caused him to start flinching. The punch arguably impaired his ability to see incoming strikes for the remainder of what would be a short fight.

Lunging for the superman punch but missing completely, Monma tumbled into a corner on the canvas. Ikemoto immediately capitalized, rapidly raining down a barrage of stomps as Monma up-kicked in defense. Ikemoto eventually relented and allowed Monma to return to his feet, but it didn’t stay there long. After trading several more kicks and eating a Monma one-two, Ikemoto drove a hard knee into Monma’s midsection against the ropes, doubling him over. With Monma crumpled on all fours, Ikemoto closed in for the kill, slamming punches to the sides of Monma’s head until referee Kenichi Serizawa called the bout at 1:42 in the first round.

“People like me who come from Osaka don’t really get to be main eventers in Tokyo, so I’m really glad that I was able to do so. I would like to fight in honor of Monma in the Dream grand prix, where I would like to win my second belt,” said a gracious Ikemoto post-fight.

EliteXC veteran Riki Fukuda made extremely quick work of former Deep middleweight champion Ryuta Sakurai, pounding out the veteran in under a minute. Sakurai barely had time to snap off a few punches before a Fukuda double-leg put him on his back. Fukuda hammered with big right hands to the side of Sakurai’s head, passing soon after to side control, where he swarmed with more brutal punches. Riding off to the left side, Fukuda continued hammering Sakurai with punches until the veteran dropped flat to his belly. Referee Yoshinori Umeki jumped in for the save at a mere 45 seconds into the contest.

With the win, Fukuda becomes the No. 1 contender to Deep middleweight champion Yuichi Nakanishi. Despite having a cold that kept him from speaking into the mic, Nakanishi relayed his message to the ear of Deep ring announcer Nomatsu Omiya, commenting, “Fukuda’s performance tonight has really motivated me, so I’d love to rematch him for the title.”

In the fight of the night, Katsunori Kikuno took a thunderous TKO victory over Yarennoka and Dream veteran Bu Kyung Jung, stomping the Korean out late in the first round. Showcasing his karate skills, Kikuno planted and remained immobile, looking to fire big counter shots. Flooring Jung with a brutal left high kick halfway through the round, Jung was somehow able to endure the ground barrage that Kikuno followed up with.

A large hematoma developed next to Jung’s right eye, however, prompting a temporary stop for a doctor’s check. Kikuno then scored with two big body kicks to double Jung over in the corner. Kikuno followed with punches that dropped the hurt Korean to the mat for good, where he sealed the bout with a soccer kick and a stomp before referee Samio Kimura jumped in at 4:15 of the first round.

With the win, Kikuno advances to the final of Deep’s four-man lightweight tournament to face Koichiro Matsumoto, who won a lackluster but technically sound decision against UFC and Pride veteran Jutaro Nakao earlier that evening. While not particularly glamorous in his victorious performance, Matsumoto’s whipping low kicks into the lead leg of Nakao turned it an ugly, bruised beet red. Nakao, for all his attempts to chase Matsumoto down with punches, could not find any way to break through his defenses to score points. Pulling guard on Matsumoto to bring the fight down also proved futile as well, leaving the judges no choice but to unanimously award Matsumoto the win on all three scorecards.

Former Shooto 143-pounder Makoto Ishikawa took another loss to a heavier fighter in his bout against former Deep welterweight champ Hidehiko Hasegawa, after Hasegawa pitched a shutout two-round decision. While not looking particularly savvy on the feet, Hasegawa alternated between putting more effective punches on Ishikawa’s face while dominating him on the mat, taking mount and back position at will to pound away. Ishikawa was hard-pressed to reverse on the ground or even evade Hasegawa’s strikes, missing his own big shots by wide margins.

“My father just passed away on January 25,” said Hasegawa, bringing a portrait of his father with him into the ring. “Today, I would like to have everybody say goodbye to my dad with me.”

EliteXC veteran Tim “Big Perm” Persey looked like he had Kazuhisa Tazawa’s number early on in their open-weight fight, stopping Tazawa’s forward rush with big punches.

Persey chased Tazawa momentarily with more flurries, landing more from top when Tazawa hit the mat under their pressure. Tying Big Perm’s hands up to stop the barrage, Tazawa then managed to get to his feet where he scored the trip takedown. From side control, Tazawa pulled Persey into a kesa-gatame scarf choke for the tapout at 2:55 in the first round.

In other bouts:

Shunsuke Inoue vs. Minoru Kato – Majority Draw 5:00 R2
Hiroki Nagaoka def. Yoshitomo Watanabe – Unanimous Decision 5:00 R2
Kota Okazawa def. Yuki Ito – Majority Decision 5:00 R2
Naohiro Mizuno def. Hiroto – Unanimous Decision 5:00 R2
Muneyuki Sato def. Yasuhiro Motomura – TKO (Punches) 4:06 R1
Hideto Kondo vs. Hiroshi Kobayashi – Draw (Time limit reached) 5:00 R2

Feb 7, 2006
Ishida-Nakamura, Aoki-Gardner Added to Dream 7

Dream event producer Keiichi Sasahara announced on Friday the inclusion of two superfights for the Dream 7 featherweight grand prix card on March 8 at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. In two lightweight clashes, Mitsuhiro Ishida will take on the stoic Daisuke Nakamura, while Shinya Aoki will face David Gardner.

Ishida (17-4-1), one of the names mentioned under consideration to face former lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez at Strikeforce “Shamrock vs. Diaz” on April 11 in San Jose, Calif., emerged as a hot prospect in Japan after eight straight wins buoyed him to the top of Pride Bushido’s ranks. Ishida sports key victories over Melendez and Marcus Aurelio, and annihilated wrestler Justin Wilcox at Strikeforce’s second Playboy Mansion event last September.

The weathered Nakamura (19-9) is on an eight-win streak after completing the first season of M-1 Challenge. He submitted crowd favorite Hideo Tokoro by armbar in 2:23 at K-1 New Year’s Eve event in Japan.

Considered one of the division’s wilier ground specialists, the 25-year-old Aoki had quite a run in the lightweight ranks in 2008 with victories over Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante, Caol Uno, and Eddie Alvarez.

Aoki (19-3), who still holds the Shooto world 168-pound title, is still expected to take his place in Dream’s welterweight (168 pound) tournament, which begins on April 5 at the NGK Insulators Hall in Nagoya, Japan.

A member of the U.S. squad for M-1 Challenge’s 2008 season, Gardner (19-10) earned a split decision against Kenneth Alexander in California’s Pure Combat promotion last November.

Feb 7, 2006
Comfortable at 185 pounds, Wilson Gouveia ready to shine at UFC 95

By building up a record of 4-2 in the UFC's light-heavyweight division, Wilson Gouveia (12-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) had proven he at least belonged in the organization.

But as the 30-year-old recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), that simply wasn't enough.

"I decided to go to 185 pounds just because all those guys are huge," Gouveia said. "At 185 (pounds) I really have to watch what I eat. I think it just helped me to be a better athlete."

Gouveia dropped to the middleweight division after a May 2008 loss to Goran Reljic. The Brazilian has since gone 2-0 in bouts scheduled for 185 pounds, though Gouveia forfeited 20 percent of his purse for his December 2008 clash with Jason MacDonald when he came in three pounds overweight.

"This is going to be my third fight at middleweight," Gouveia said. "I fought Ryan Jensen and Jason (MacDonald). The first fight I started cutting the weight like two weeks or three weeks before the fight. I was really afraid to not make the weight, so I put a lot of pressure on myself to make the weight. It was very easy. I had no problems at all. I did everything right.

"For the [MacDonald] fight, I was so overconfident. I told myself, 'You know what? This is going to be easy like the first one.' And then I messed up a little bit. I made some mistakes. I think I ate something with some salt that made a huge difference on the last day. The last three pounds were almost impossible to lose."

After officially making weight earlier today for Saturday's bout with perennial contender Nate Marquardt (27-8-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) at "UFC 95: Sanchez vs. Stevenson" in London, Gouveia insists the weight issues will not continue to present themselves in future bouts.

"At middleweight I have to focus on my diet," Gouveia said. "I have to be in shape. At light heavyweight I was always eating a lot of junk food because it was very easy for me to make 205 (pounds).

"I'm not going to have any more problems."

With that obstacle out of the way, Gouveia now turns his full attention to Marquardt. The Greg Jackson fighter has earned Gouveia's respect with his successful 10-year career.

"I give a lot of respect to Nate and his camp and coaches," Gouveia said. "I know he comes from one of the best camps in MMA right now. I've got a lot of respect for him as an athlete. In this weight class, after the champ, I think he is the toughest guy at middleweight in the UFC."

But while Gouveia thinks Marquardt brings a well-rounded game to the cage, the Brazilian doesn't believe he'll be overwhelmed by any particular skill.

"[Marquart] is a good middleweight, and he's good in everything," Gouveia said. "He's good in wrestling, he's good in striking and he's good in jiu-jitsu. But I think he's not great in anything, to be honest.

"I see his main strength to be wrestling. I think he's a very strong wrestler, and he's got good jiu-jitsu. He's a tough guy and a good striker, but I don't see that power."

Gouveia believes it is that disparity in power that will provide him the advantage he needs on Saturday night.

"If you watch [Marquardt's] last fight against (Martin) Kampmann, I think he spent 10 or 12 shots to drop the guy," Gouveia said. "I don't need that. I just need one shot. If I get somebody with one shot, I guarantee you I'm going to drop them. I think that's going to be big difference between us."

According to Gouveia, if the fight does hit the floor it will be due to Marquardt's efforts.

"It's very difficult to say, 'I'm going to do this, I'm going to do that,'" Gouveia said. "You never know what's going to happen. But it's not likely that you guys are going to see me try and take somebody down."

Regardless of where the action takes place, many MMA observers believe Saturday's bout could determine who will next fight for the middleweight title after Anderson Silva faces Thales Leites in April. While Gouveia refuses to speculate on where a win would put him in the division's pecking order, the Brazilian believes he's going to put on a show worthy of the excitement surrounding this contest.

"A lot of people have been very excited for this bout," Gouveia said. "What I would like to tell all of them is that I've been training very hard for this. I can't wait to show everybody how good I feel right now. I'm ready to go."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 97 sells out in less than a week

Earlier this week, the UFC contacted the Nevada State Athletic Commission with back-up plans to move its April UFC 97 event from Montreal to Las Vegas due to regulatory issues.

The UFC, though, worked with Canadian officials and resolved those problems, and more than 20,000 Canadian fans who purchased tickets for the show are now breathing a sigh of relief.

The UFC today announced that the April 18 event, which takes place at Montreal's Bell Centre, has officially sold out – in less than a week.

The UFC first ventured to Montreal in April 2008 for what was the organization's Canadian debut. With Georges St. Pierre ready to reclaim his title from Matt Serra in the night's main event, UFC 83 drew a UFC and North American MMA attendance record with 21,390 fans, who accounted for a $5.1 million gate.

More than 13,000 UFC 83 tickets were sold in a presale to UFC Fight Club members, and the event officially sold out one minute after tickets went on sale to the general public a week later.

"I knew going back to Montreal would be another home run," UFC President Dana White stated on UFC.com. "Our Canadian fan base is incredibly strong and continues to grow even in these hard times. UFC events continue to bring a substantial economic impact to the city of Montreal."

UFC 97 tickets went on sale to Fight Club members on Feb. 11 and the general public on Feb. 14.

UFC 97 features a main event between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and top contender Thales Leites, and future UFC hall-of-famer Chuck Liddell meets Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in the co-main event. Numerous Canadian fighters (including Denis Kang, Jason MacDonald, Sam Stout and T.J. Grant) have been booked for the night's undercard.

Feb 7, 2006
DANA WHITE CONFIRMS UFC 100 BOUTS AND MORE

UFC President Dana White appeared on Setanta Sports in England, making official many of the rumored fighters and events expected in coming months.

He reiterated his recent statement on a Canadian radio station that Georges St. Pierre will make his next UFC welterweight title defense when he faces Thiago Alves at UFC 100 in July. He added that the Ultimate Fighter 9 showdown between U.S. coach Dan Henderson and U.K. coach Michael Bisping would also take place at UFC 100.

White also confirmed that Wanderlei Silva would fight on the promotion's inaugural trip to Germany this summer (UFC 99), although he stopped short of announcing Silva's opponent. MMAWeekly.com exclusively confirmed earlier this week that Silva and Rich Franklin have agreed to meet at a catch weight in Germany.

He indicated that there is also the possibility of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, and B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian, could grace the German fight card as well, though neither of those options sounded definitive.

Besides other fights – including the possibility that Lyoto Machida could get a title shot this summer – White also discussed the UFC's expansion plans, the recent debacle in Canada, and more.

Feb 7, 2006
Marcus Davis On Hardy, Alves

At a Q & A session for this weekend's UFC 95, Marcus Davis spoke to English fans about possibilities for his fighting future.

One strong candidate seemed to be Dan Hardy, who faces Davis' former training partner in Rory Markham tomorrow.

Davis respected Hardy's talent, but in six appearances across the pond, four of his opponents have been Brits.

"This is the thing," Davis explained. "I wanna stop fighting British guys (in England). Now I say bring me Americans. I hear a lot about fighting Dan, I think he is a good fighter, great stand-up and a good record. I think it would be an interesting fight. But I just hope we don't do it here."

Later, Davis hinted that the UFC's German debut in June may be the place for them to do battle.

"Not a definite thing, but hearing that I may be fighting in Germany," said Davis. "I think they are looking at this card for possible opponents, obviously Hardy has been mentioned, but he is fighting a powerhouse friend of mine in Rory Markham, so it's a case of do I pull for Markham as a friend or pull for Hardy for me to fight?"

The UFC's plans for Davis go beyond this summer, as well.

UFC brass, particularly UK head Marshall Zelaznik, have mentioned the possibility of bringing Davis back to Ireland for a headlining fight on St. Patty's day, assuming he stays on the winning track. Davis said he might split his time between the States and his native land.

"I am looking at purchasing a home over here in the Summer, and were talking about opening a Team Sitodyong/Team Irish over here, so we have to see how that goes," said Davis.

In regards to the "tough opponent" he desired for a possible St. Patty's day fight, an early career defeat stuck out.

"Thiago Alves and I have history," said Davis. "I lost a split division on the score card, so we have history. We're different fighters now, that was both our third professional fights, I had no background on the ground, and that is a fight I would love to do."

Feb 7, 2006
Jay Hieron: “The sky is the limit”

Success in Mixed Martial Arts is typically measured by a fighter’s ratio of wins to losses, as well as the level of competition faced, and takes into account championship gold the individual has racked up along the way. With a professional record of 17-4 and the IFL’s final welterweight title-holder, it is fairly safe to say Jay Hieron has had a successful MMA careeer thus far.

However, truth be told, Hieron’s success in the sport goes far beyond his accomplishments inside the ring, as he’s overcome a number of battles in his personal life and ultimately emerged victorious in each (as indicated by both his status as a top 170-pound Mixed Martial Artist and as a hard-working, intelligent, considerate human being). From growing up in a rough section of Long Island to a solid collegiate wrestling career cut short by a mistake to an arrest for drug trafficking to Phil Baroni’s assistance on the path towards enlightenment to being an original member of one of the elite training facilities in the world to his involvement in a battle so bloody the UFC refused to air it, Hieron has lived a fascinating, thought-provoking life and opens up candidly about his experiences therein, plus much more, in the following exclusive 5 Oz. of Pain interview…

Conlan: I’d like to wind the clock back a bit before getting into current affairs or even looking forward to what the future holds. You first started boxing and wrestling in your early teens, in some ways taking your first steps on the career path you eventually chose to walk down. What originally sparked your interest in those particular sports? Did you ever think you would make a living incorporating either skill-set?

Jay Hieron: Nah, I mean…you know…that’s what still amazes me…I always liked boxing, wrestling at the time was like WWF stuff, but I always liked a contact sport, a one-on-one type of combative sport. I never thought about pursuing it. I was a kid that didn’t grow until later on in my life so I was always small or my age.

The reason I’m a boxer is that I started getting picked on, so one of my sister’s boyfriends at the time was boxing and took me to the boxing gym…that was right around the age of about thirteen…and when I was going into high school…you know, I’m not from the best place in the world…my high school was a little rough…so I that’s why I wanted to start defending myself. I couldn’t make it to the boxing gym anymore..it was too far away, I didn’t have a car, and I couldn’t depend on my sister’s boyfriend to take me all the time. They had wrestling at my high school so I ended up joining wrestling and I fell in love with the sport.

Conlan: At one point in high school you quit wrestling. What influenced that decision? How much of your present success do you credit to your high school coaches’ persistence about getting you back onto the mat during your senior year?

Hieron: Yeah, I mean…I was a young kid, I got my first car - it was like in eleventh grade - and, ya know, I was kind of over being in wrestling and sweating. Pretty much, I’m a strong-minded person so I just put…I was just like, “Man, I’m done with this, I just want to have fun right now.”

Definitely I owe a lot to my coaches. They were like father figures to me. They tried to pursue me every day…they would sneak around and see when I would be gettin’ out of class and act like they were walking - just run into me down the hallway. That was my coach Russ Celland. My other head coach was Terry Haise. He was more tough love. But you know, I owe a lot to those guys…I mean, if I didn’t wrestle my senior year I don’t think I would be in this position I’m in now, because I don’t think I would have went to college for wrestling.

So…definitely I owe a lot to those guys, and it’s one of those things where they give me guidance and they were definitely like father figures to me.

Conlan: Just prior to the start of your senior season in college you tested positive for marijuana use and ended up serving a season-long suspension as a result. What was your immediate reaction to the school’s decision to keep you out of competition? Did you feel at that point you were completely done with wrestling?

Hieron: Like I said before, I’m no angel - I’ve been through a lot of stuff, ups and downs in my life - and that’s something I did to myself, and it was one of those things where at that point in my life I was doing…you know, smoking herb and it came and backfired on me.

When I tested positive for it, I didn’t blame nobody. I blamed myself. But also, I was just like, “Wrestling took me as far as it could anyways.” I mean, there (were) no professional sports like now there is with Mixed Martial Arts, but back then it wasn’t like you could make a living off of MMA because it was still new. So, I really didn’t pay attention to it really. I was pretty much like, “I’m done anyways with the sport. It took me as far as I can go and now it’s time to make money.” And that’s when I put my full focus on trying to make money.

Conlan: When you left Hofstra you were only a semester or so away from graduating. Is that a decision you ever look back on and regret? Have you ever considered going back to school and finishing your degree?

Hieron: Well, yeah, of course I regret that decision. I mean, I’m kind of a bull-headed guy. Like I said, wrestling for me was taken away and I just supressed all those feelings I had for competition and stuff like that. I dropped out…I just left the school. You know, of course I do.

One day, I mean when I have time…my full focus right now is on my career…one day, I’m only fifteen credits away from my Bachelor’s Degree so that’s definitely something I would like to accomplish and finish, but it would have to be the right time, and right now all my time is in the Gym and trying to get my technique and skills better to be the best fighter I can be.

Conlan: Speaking of Mixed Martial Arts, you were introduced to the sport by fellow New Yorker (and childhood friend) Phil Baroni. What about MMA did you find appealing? What made you realize it was something you wanted to attempt as a profession? Where do you think you would be today if you hadn’t ever set foot in Bellmore Kickboxing Academy?

Hieron: Well, it was a time that, with what I was going through, made me feel like I was really supposed to do this with my life. When (Baroni) introduced me to it,…I knew it was fighting and stuff, and he brought me down to train with him, but I wasn’t really interested at that point.

Then, when I got arrested and I had nowhere else to go in my life, and I was looking at myself in the mirror and I was really at a point in my life where I didn’t know who I was…just something reminded me about going to the Gym - to the Bellmore Kickboxing Academy - and when I went there, it was just the craziest (thing)…it’s like when you find yourself, I was reborn again. From that day on I had a different attitude on everything and I felt I had a second chance at something in my life.

That’s why I train so hard and I work so hard, because I’ve been through a lot in my life and I know stuff can be taken away and I know stuff can be given to you with hard work.

Conlan: Can you elaborate more on your relationship with Phil Baroni, even as it stands today? Are you still on good terms today? Do you have an funny/crazy story involving Baroni that you can share and won’t get either of you in too much trouble?

Hieron: *laughs* Nah, it’s all good. Yeah, me and Phil go way back. I’ve know him since we were both kids…fourteen. We wrestled together in high school, not at the same high school, but we wrestled together in high school all through the years. He’s a great guy. Deep down, he’s a great friend and a great guy. A lot of people don’t see that about him because he’s the “New York Bad Ass”, but behind all that he’s a caring friend and all that. Me and the guy, we come from the same place, and he’s just known me for a long time. He’s the one who introduced me to the game. He’s a true warrior.

A story about him? *laughs* One time we were at a wrestling tournament in college…we were both at Nassau Community College…and we were upstate at Edinborough at a wrestling tournament. As long as we’ve been friends and stuff, of course we’re gonna get into it sometimes…you know, we’re both hotheads…so we got into it up there at the tournament. We were tussling around, and at the time he knew how to box…he already had a couple boxing fights…so I was like, “I’m not messing with this guy boxing.” So, I picked up a chair and the coach came out and he was like, “You guys are both wrong! If you guys don’t stop right now and make up, you guys are both walking…you’re finding your way back down to Nassau County.” This is about 6-7 hours away…driving…and its the dead of winter too.

So we both look outside, there’s like three foot…four foot…snow out there, and we’re both like, “We’re sorry!”

Conlan: Your professional debut came in July 2003. What do you remember about that experience? Can you describe your emotional state after not only winning the match but also finishing your opponent in less than 90 seconds?

Hieron: It was an incredible feeling. I was training for awhile before that and that was the start of my career. I had a bunch of people, friend and family, there…I had more people there than any that I ever had at my wrestling matches. People wanna come out to see fights.

The fight itself I really don’t remember. I was an amateur, it was my first fight…I really didn’t know how to control my emotions. So, to me, it was a real fight. I was fighting for my life out there, but the wrestling technique, of course, took over and I started ground-and-pounding him…but emotionally it was a real fight for me. When you get more experience in your career you know how to deal with that…but (winning) was a great feeling. I won the fight in front of a lot of people close to me and it was incredible that it was the start of my career.

Conlan: After earning wins in your first four fights you found yourself inside the Octagon and across from an up-and-coming young French-Canadian welterweight by the name of Georges St. Pierre. Did you feel any additional pressure to perform due to it being your first appearance in the UFC? Seventeen fights later, and after countless hours of training, how differently do you feel things would go if you ever got an opportunity to throw down with St. Pierre again?

Hieron: Yeah, first off…I mean, yeah, I felt pressure, but I went into the fight all wrong. Again, I was still early in my career. I was still, you could say, an amateur then. It was only my fourth, fifth fight. The worst thing that could have happened to me for that fight (was) I trained with St. Pierre about two months to three months before that…not sparring or nothin, but wrestling…and I took him down a couple times. Like I said, I went into that fight totally emotionally wrong…I went out there fighting on my emotions, and you know it didn’t work out too well for me, that fight. St. Pierre was definitely a better man that day and it was a learning experience.

I got back to New York and I knew I had to get better training partners. My trainers were great - Keith Trimble at Bellmore Kickboxing Academy and I had Rodrigo Gracie for my groundwork, over there, which were great trainers…but the training partners, there weren’t that many to beat up on me like I need to get better. So that’s what ultimately made me move to Las Vegas after (the St. Pierre) fight.

There are two roads you can take after losing a big fight like that. You can either take the left and be like, “You know, this is not for me. I don’t know if I got what it takes”, or you can take the right road, and just go, “I just gotta suck it up and become a better fighter and do anything possible in my power to get better.” And that’s what I did.

Conlan: …so if you threw down with St. Pierre again you think it would be different?

Hieron: Totally different. I’m a totally different fighter. I’m not saying he isn’t either, but that fight would never happen like that again in my eyes. To me, when I go into a fight, whoever I’m fighting, I’m totally confident and feel I’m gonna win the fight. I know how hard I train. I’m 365-days in the gym. I take a week off after a fight but I’m always in the gym. I’m the hardest worker in this sport. I train just as hard as anybody or harder. Bottom line.

Conlan: A few fights later you suffered an injury to your eye that was originally labeled as being career-threatening. Can you shed some light on exactly what happened and how severe the damage to your eye was? Did you actually feel as though you might never fight again, and if so, how were you able to cope with such a serious injury?

Hieron: It was the WEC I was fighting in. The first round, I was doing well and he clipped me with something right before the end of the first round. I come back to the corner and I can’t see. What I thought was that I had Vaseline on my eyeball, cause it was all black and all white. I couldn’t see anything. I go back out, I finish the fight, I won thank God.

When I got back to Vegas I went to see the eye doctor and he says, “Hey, man, there’s a big problem. Your iris is not contracting.” You know how it contracts and opens and closes when you see bright light like the sun? Mine was wide open - it wasn’t contracting. He said it was a serious injury and didn’t know if I could fight again.

I tried to stay as positive as I could. I went to see another eye doctor. I got a second opinion. He said he’d seen the injury before in (MMA). He said the eye was an organ so it should heal, just takes time. So, you know, I did what I do best…I got in that gym and sweated that stress out and hoped for the best.

Conlan: In your second UFC appearance you took on Jonathan Goulet, receiving a nasty cut in the process that caused enough blood loss to have some fans mistaking the Octagon for the set of a horror movie (and eventually causing the ringside officials to stop the fight). What is your recollection of the bout? How were you able to stay mentally focused in light of the cut? Is it true that the UFC decided to not air the fight due to the amount of blood involved?

Hieron: Yeah, yes sir, the UFC said they would never air that fight. It was definitely one of the bloodiest fights…I think “Top 3″…in the UFC. I was winning the fight hands down everywhere. I was taking him down…I thought I was winning the striking, submission threats…everything…I was doing incredible. I got kneed in the head in the second round and it opened up a cut on my forehead, right by the vein, where it was pumping blood out like crazy. I really couldn’t see anything. I just remembered going into fight mode and trying to finish the fight as fast as I could, because I knew they were going to stop it…it was just too much blood. It was everywhere. I was bloody head to toe. He was bloody with my blood head to toe. It was a crazy fight.

I have no quit in me. I’ll try to get it done as best as I can out there. I’m prepared for that. I get in “dog” shape, so it’s just one of those things. It’s the “hurt” business. Stuff like that happens. We’re throwing elbows, knees out there. Cuts happen.

Conlan: The following year you took your abilities to the International Fight League. How would you label your overall experience in the IFL? Did the company’s eventual downfall surprise you or was it something you suspected might happen? What have you since done with your IFL Welterweight Championship?

Hieron: The IFL was a great experience for me. It gave me that stage to perform on, to showcase my skills, when I was going into another direction in my life where I didn’t know where my career was headed. IFL came about and it had TV exposure, and you know, a lot of people know me from the IFL. I have nothing bad to say about them as an organization or how they treated me. I don’t know about anyone else but they always treated me with respect.

From a business point of view I think they just made too many changes where it ultimately ended up with them having to sell the company. And, you know, that happens in this game. My belts? I’m trying to frame them as we speak. I still have them and I’m gonna frame them up real soon.

Conlan: You trained with Bas Rutten. Anything crazy ever happen with you two?

Hieron: Oh my god…a million things! That guy is a comedian, man! I love Bas. He just brought that lighter side to training…don’t get me wrong, it was VERY very hard training..rigorous workouts…it was incredible…but he just brought that lighter side by cracking jokes and stuff like that.

One time (The IFL’s Anacondas) were getting ready to fight the Wolfpack, Matt Lindland’s team, and we were all getting taped up in the locker room. And everyone started busting…you know, farting…*laughs* and it was crazy! Bas had to leave the room, the commissioners had to leave, they made us stop taping and leave the room until the smell got out. It was crazy! But that was just one of those times…

Conlan: Most recently you faced Jason High on the “Affliction: Day of Reckoning” card, who was 6-0 at the time, and knocked him out in close to a minute. What can you say about High as an opponent? What are your thoughts about how the fight unfolded now that you’ve had a chance to assess your performance?

Hieron: Jason High is a definite threat. He was a tough opponent, under the radar. Undefeated. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. I was stuck in a position where I had to perform - I had to go out and finish this guy. I’m the one with a name. But, I don’t let any of that stuff get to me. I’m a professional. I get in the gym and I train just as hard to fight anybody. I don’t look past any opponent. I look at him like, “This is what I’ve gotta do. I’ve gotta take care of this guy and then I’ll look to the next.”

(High) is a tough guy. My performance, I felt was great. For what I went through that night, I definitely feel I performed and took care of business. I was supposed to fight at 4:00. I was gloved and ready the whole time. I didn’t fight till about 10:00. It was a growing experience for my career. For what I went through that night, to still come out and perform…it shows me something to myself - that I know how to come out and compete.

Conlan: To the surprise of many, including yourself most likely, the bout was bumped from the HDNet portion of the card due to concerns about fitting it into the allotted programming time. As a result, the fight ended up taking place until after the night’s main event between Arlovski/Emelianenko had concluded. Can you please walk fans through the experience in terms of when you were told about the company’s decision, how you were affected by the postponement, and what was going through your mind at the time? Did the situation sour your opinion on Affliction or do you still want to fight for them again?

Hieron: Nobody told me nothing - they told me, “Just stay warm.” If they would have told me, “You’re after the main event,” I would have been fine. But nobody told me. I was ready, warmed up, and ready to walk out before the Nogueira fight. That’s what I had planned. Nobody told me anything different. When I was ready to walk out for my fight they told Nogueira to come out. It was all unfolding at the time, unfolding right in front of me at the time.

So, Nogueira goes out, and I’m like, “Okay, when do I fight?” Now you’re a swing bout, which means pretty much you get in where you fit in. So, you gotta stay warm, and then somebody says, “Your fight might be cancelled. You might you get your show money but there’s no time.” So I’m going through all these emotions. Thank God I have great people around me - Randy Couture, Shawn Tompkins, my manager did a great job of keeping us in the loop - so if they would have told me exactly when I was fighting it would have been okay. “You’re fighting after the main event.” That would have been fine. So me not knowing was a little nerve-racking, but again…that’s what you deal with. You deal with a lot of stuff in this business that you can’t control. What I can control is going out there and handling my business and performing. And that’s what I did that night. And like I said, that showed me something me about myself, how I can compete
under drastic circumstances, and God Bless…everything turned out well.

Conlan: So does that give you a poor opinion on Affliction and the way they handled your fight?

Hieron: No, I mean the show was a success to me. It was a great fight. It was one of the greatest cards assembled. It wasn’t in Affliction’s control. It was the TV…the PPV and HDNet…HDNet was running out of time, the fights were going longer than expected, and it’s all about time frame and times. It’s out of everybody’s control when there’s TV involved. There’s a swing bout every PPV.

Conlan: Any injuries to report from training for High or from the bout itself? Any idea what’s next for you in terms of future opponents/events?

Hieron: Nah, I came out healthy thank God. I hope my opponent is healthy too. I having my manager talk to them…you know, I want to fight “Top 10″ guys…the type that are gonna inch my career and make me go up higher in the rankings. That’s what I want to do. I want to fight fights that mean something. Jake Shields isn’t signed yet to anybody. Maybe that fight can happen down the road somewhere, maybe Affliction or we’ll see…

Conlan: Is Strikeforce on your radar now that they’ve just made the acquisition of EliteXC and they’re going to be on Showtime/CBS?

Hieron: Yes, definitely Strikeforce on the radar. Like I said, first and foremost I fight for Affliction so we’ll have to go and talk to them to see what’s going on, when’s the next show…if it doesn’t conflict with them we’ll move forward with Strikeforce. We’ll see what happens. There are a lot of options on the table, which is great, and we’ll see what the next step is.

Conlan: Many people may not realize this, but you were part of the foundation of Xtreme Couture before the actual training facility in Las Vegas even existed. How did you originally become involved with the group?

Hieron: Well, I started when I moved here (to Las Vegas)…I was training at two different gyms with “One Kick” Nick and I was training with Cobra Kai’s Marc Laimon. I was having to drive across town after training sessions to go get my striking and then I would have to come back to do my grappling. So, I met Mike Pyle and he was training at John Lewis’ gym so I would go there from time to time to spar and he was a great training partner. He started training with Randy Couture when Randy would come to town and then we all just started training together whenever (Couture) would come in town. We just started forming the team like that.

Everybody had a good head on their shoulders - no egos. Everyone wanted to train and get better. Forrest Griffin started training with us, Gray Maynard…Tyson Griffin came along and moved out here…Alex Schonauer…I mean, the list goes on and on. I could sit here all day and list everybody, but the biggest thing was that nobody had an ego, everybody wanted to train and get better, and everybody works well together.

And it was cool because we would train at (John Lewis’ gym) and when J-Sect was closed we would all contact each other and meet up at Xyience. And if Xyience wasn’t working for us we would just meet up at UFC’s TUF Gym. Just a solid core group of guys where everybody wanted to train together and we would make it happen.

Conlan: What are your thoughts on Randy Couture as not only a trainer but a human being in general?

Hieron: Randy Couture is a great guy. When I got with him my career started going up from there. He’s the guy who leads by example. He don’t even have to talk that much. You just watch his demeanor, how he acts, how he conducts himself…you know, he’s just a great guy to look up to.

Conlan: As a native Long Islander what are your thoughts on the importance of getting MMA legalized in New York? What would the opportunity to fight in front of your home-state fans mean to you on a personal level?

Hieron: One of my dreams was to be the world champ. One of my other dreams is to fight at Madison Square Garden in front of everybody that supports me back home. I can’t wait till that happens! You know, I would fight in the Garden for free. *laughs* Don’t let the promoters hear that, but really…it’s definitely one of my dreams to fight in MSG. I watched Knicks games there…and you know, that’s just the place to go if you’re a New Yorker.

Conlan: Do you feel the hardships you faced earlier in your life helped mold you into the man you’ve since become? Do you feel the adversity you’ve dealt with benefits you in any way as far as training or even inside the ring?

Hieron: Yeah, of course…I wouldn’t change my life for nothin. I feel everything I went through in life made me stronger, made me the person I am today. I’m a great guy, I’m a real guy, but that’s all from learning experiences…through ups and downs…I have had nothing given to me ever in my life. I had to work for everything I’ve gotten and that’s how I like it.

Conlan: Do you have any advice for young people who might find themselves in situations similar to what you’ve experienced throughout your life?

Hieron: Dreams come true. You can always change your life no matter how bad it’s going. Hard work definitely pays off. You don’t have to just be a fighter either…there’s other things out there…there’s a million different things you can do that make you feel good and can change your life, somethin’ you love to do. You don’t just have to have my story and be a fighter. This is my niche and I found it. Just go out there and don’t let anybody tell you that you can’t do anything you want to. Just stick with it, go for it 100%, and the sky is the limit.

Thanks to everyone at XTreme Couture - Randy, Shawn Tompkins, Ray Sefo…my sponsors, Gamma-O, Evolution Energy Drinks, Bulletproof Athletics, RZST Clothing, Zenetti Rims, Affliction…God…all my fans…thanks again!