MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
SHIELDS AGREES TO FIGHT RIGGS FOR STRIKEFORCE

Former EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields has reached an agreement to fight for Strikeforce, signing on to the San Jose-based promotion’s April 11 Showtime debut to face veteran Joe Riggs.

Aroundtheoctagon.com was the first to report the news. MMAWeekly.com subsequently confirmed it with Shields’ manager and father Jack Shields.

An impasse in negotiations brought by Strikeforce’s buyout of Jake's ProElite contract was broken by the desire to keep the fighter working and out of court.

“Originally, EliteXC had been up in the air for so long, we had gotten a lawyer and were prepared to file suit to get a release,” said the elder Shields. “Then we went to Strikeforce, and we know Scott Coker. We’ve always had good relations with him. It was much smarter thing to do than getting involved with anything legal. It just seemed the right thing to do to go head and finish the contract. It’s a lot better than waiting around.”

Shields said there were still details to be negotiated on his son’s obligations to Strikeforce, including the exact time frame of the contract and number of fights, but said he would make a main event appearance “against a well-known opponent” in the summer for his second Strikeforce fight.

Both Riggs and Shields were unavailable for comment on the just-announced bout.

Shields, 30, last appeared on EliteXC’s final network television effort, the CBS-televised “Heat,” where he defended his welterweight title against U.K. striker Paul Daley. One of the only non-UFC welterweights to grace Top 10 lists, Shields’ strong ground skills have netted him a 21-4-1 professional record.

Riggs, 26, was victorious in his last bout against Luke Stewart at Strikeforce “Destruction” last November. Since signing a non-exclusive deal with Strikeforce in 2007, he has gone 2-2 with the promotion. Overall, he carries a professional record of 29-10 with one no contest.

Feb 7, 2006
With St. Pierre vs. Alves likely, Mike Swick still unsure of next move

While UFC welterweight Mike Swick (13-2 MMA, 8-1 UFC) had made it very clear in recent months that he was hoping for a bout with Thiago Alves in the near future, recent events have forced a change of plans.

With "Pitbull" in line for a 170-pound title shot with Georges St. Pierre, Swick is now unsure of what comes next.

As Swick today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), he's still hoping for a bout that will clear his path to title contention.

"I'll fight whoever, but I would really like to have a bout that's going to put me in the top ranking if I have a good performance and I win," Swick said. "I'm 8-1 in the UFC, and I feel like I definitely deserve a big fight.

"I want to get out there. I'm training hard. I want to prove that I belong in the contendership at 170 pounds."

Swick has now won three-straight bouts since dropping to the 170-pound class after a 5-1 run in the UFC's middleweight division. Swick last fought in December 2008 in a 33-second TKO win over Jonathan Goulet. The American Kickboxing Academy fighter now hopes to be back in action in May or June.

"I'm healing up a foot injury that I've had," Swick said. "It should be pretty good to go pretty soon. I figure May or June should be about when I come back."

Unlike his ailing elbow which required surgery in July 2008, Swick said his foot is healing fine with a bit of rest.

"It was just a broken bone in my foot that's just been kind of lingering on," Swick said. "I've been training through it and not letting it heal, and it keeps getting agitated. I'm still training right now, but I'm just trying to heal up as fast as I can so I can get back to fighting."

While his original target of Alves now appears to be locked in for a title fight with current champion St. Pierre (though no official announcement has yet been made by the UFC), Swick hasn't lost his desire to meet the Brazilian powerhouse. In fact, Swick wants to eventually face both Alves and St. Pierre.

"Ideally I'd like to fight them both," Swick said. "Eventually we're all going to fight each other, but I like both matchups. I really wanted a Thiago Alves fight. I feel I've got a good style for him. I think it would have been a good fight.

"Obviously Georges St. Pierre as well -- he's hands down one of the best UFC fighters of all time. You can't not want to take that fight. I definitely want to step up and take that challenge. I definitely want to fight both of them. I would obviously fight both of them whether it's for a belt or not. I think it would be a great opportunity, and it would be an honor to fight them."

Swick believes it's just a matter of time before he meets with either Alves or St. Pierre, but for now he's just focused on a quality bout in the coming months.

"I'm definitely looking forward to both fights (with Alves and St. Pierre)," Swick said. "But there's a lot of great guys at 170 (pounds). There's a lot of interesting matchups. I just really want to fight some top-level guys so that I can get myself in that contendership and get that title shot."

Swick said he is just fine with fighting in May's recently approved locale of Las Vegas or June's rumored location of Cologne, Germany. In the meantime, Swick wants his fans to know they can follow his every move with the upcoming relaunch of his official website.

"Hopefully I'll be back soon," Swick said. "But for now we've got a brand new web page that we're launching in a couple of weeks at Mike Swick.com. You can check my blog out now for current updates, but it's going to be a really cool page. We're going to have over 1,000 photos and videos and content. It's going to be constantly updated and you can keep up with me there."

Feb 7, 2006
Demian Maia: The gentleman black belt

The National Hockey League presents an annual award called the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy. According to NHL.com, the Lady Byng is an annual award given to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct.

MMA is not a sport that offers accommodations for congeniality but if there was a Lady Byng Trophy in MMA, undefeated UFC Brazilian middleweight Demian Maia would be a leading contender.

Despite being one of the most skilled jiu-jitsu black belts in the world and being capable of ripping multiple limbs from the human body within seconds, Maia just happens to be one of the sport’s true gentlemen.

The classy Maia is set to return to the Octagon this Saturday at the O2 Arena in London, England at UFC 95. His calm temperament will once again be on display in a middleweight matchup against Chael Sonnen that is set to air as a part of Spike TV’s telecast in the U.S.

So how does Maia remain so even-keel in a sport that can at times be known for its ruthless aggression?

“I think my mentality comes from my belief in jit-jitsu,” Maia began to explain during an exclusive interview with FiveOuncesOfPain.com. “Jiu-jitsu is what I believe in because the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has been founded on the mentality to get the victory without hurting yourself by controlling your opponent without hurting him too much.

“It’s about getting the submission instead of kicking and punching. For me, it’s the nicest way to win. It’s nice to win that way in a sport that is as aggressive as MMA. To be able to walk away with a victory without a scratch to me or my opponent, for me, it’s priceless.”

The 30-year old Sau Paulo native says that one of the reasons why he transitioned from competitive grappling to MMA was so that he could apply the principles of jiu-jitsu in an aggressive style of combat.

“I wanted to prove that you didn’t need to be a violent guy to win in an MMA competition,” he said. “You can use your technique and if you put on good technique then you can win very clean fights.”

But do not let Maia’s compassionate temperament fool you. While he may not be a savage warrior, he is a sportsman and a true competitor in every sense of the word. While he may not enjoy smashing an opponent’s face, he’ll do it if that’s what it takes to win.

“Of course I know I’m fighting MMA,” he began to answer when asked if his reservations for inflicting pain could come back to haunt him. “I know that I need to punch my opponent as hard as I can. I am fighting MMA and not in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. If I can win without (punching my opponent), I prefer (that). But if I need to do (then I will). This is a sport and I am not here to be a nice guy, I am here to win.”

And win he has. Since joining the UFC, Maia is 4-0 with four submissions while competing for an organization he has dreamed of fighting for since watching Royce Gracie’s remarkable tournament victory at UFC 1 in 1993.

While Maia says he’s not in the UFC to be a nice guy, he’s exactly that. Which is why it was somewhat out of character when he called out Michael Bisping following his most recent victory over Nate Quarry at UFC 91 in November.

However, Maia was quick to point out to Five Ounces of Pain that he holds no animosity towards Bisping and was simply looking for a chance to serve opposite him as a head coach on the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter.

“The reason why I said I wanted to fight Bisping was because he was one of the guys picked to coach on The Ultimate Fighter,” Maia began to explain. “I heard that they needed another coach and that’s why I said his name. I actually didn’t want to fight him specifically. I just wanted to be a head coach on The Ultimate Fighter.”

Maia has accomplished a great deal in a short amount of time. However, there will be no shortage of challenges for him in the UFC’s middleweight division. Future clashes with Bisping and Henderson could be on the horizon and according to Maia, the 185 pound class in the UFC is about to get a major upgrade with occasional training partner Wanderlei Silva looking to drop down in weight.

“Yes, we’ve talked about (his move to middleweight),” Maia said of the legendary Brazilian star. “I think he’s just doing it for the experience and he may move back up after he does it. He wants to see how he looks (but) I don’t think he’s just going to fight at 185. He just wants to try it and see how it goes.”

While a fight against Wanderlei Silva unlikely due to their friendship, a fighter that goes by the same namesake could be next for Maia after Saturday.

“My next fight could be for a title shot if I win,” Maia responded when asked how soon he felt he might be in line to challenge for the UFC middleweight title that is currently held by Anderson Silva. “I hope so but it doesn’t depend on me, it depends on the UFC. But I want to fight for the title if I (defeat Sonnen).”

During a recent interview with the USA Today, Sonnen went on the record to state that Saturday’s fight between him and Maia will determine the UFC’s best middleweight. When asked how he felt about Sonnen’s proclamation, Maia expressed a more diplomatic tone.

“I think both of us could win against Anderson but I don’t think we are better than he is. I think he is the best fighter in the world. He’s a complete fighter; very good standup (and) good ground. He’s very good in all aspects… He’s just the best fighter in the world.”

As much respect as he has for Silva, Maia isn’t willing to concede victory.

“Even though he might be the best, I still think me or Chael can win against him because the type of game that we have. I think our grappling game can make a difference vs. Anderson.”

Feb 7, 2006
Jason 'Mayhem' Miller to host MTV's 'Bully Beat Down'

Jason "Mayhem" Miller will host a a new reality TV show "Bully Beat Down" on MTV.
"Bully Beat Down" is a product of Mark Burnett productions, which also launched "The Apprentice," "Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" and "Survivor."

The premise of the show is for victims of bullying to bring in their school bullies to fight a professional MMA fighter.

The show tapes this week in Salt Lake City and fights will be regulated by the Pete Sauzo Utah Athletic Commission. The show is slated to premiere in the Summer.

Miller won't be fighting on the show but he can be next seen at the end of March headling the inaugural Kingdom event against Kala "Kohole" Hose in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Feb 7, 2006
Big John talks Fedor-Andrei fight

MMA Ref Big John McCarthy was the third man that night when WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko stunned Andrei Arlovski at Affliction & M-1's 'Day of Reckoning'. He shared his experience with mma.fanhouse.com

What was the atmosphere like for Fedor vs. Arlovski?

It was great. Any time you have two guys of that caliber stepping into the ring, that's an exciting time for the fans, for the other fighters -- the other fighters all came out front to watch that fight because you don't have the opportunity to see two of the best guys going at it very often. It's the same with Georges St Pierre against BJ Penn. The fighters want to see that because you don't get that atmosphere all the time, and when you have it, it's a unique thing. The atmosphere was electric, and I was very happy to be able to do that fight.

You acted very quickly. Fedor's knockout punch came out of nowhere, and in an instant, Arlovski was unconscious and you were standing over him.

Well, sometimes you're just looking at the right thing at the right time. I was in a position to see Arlovski's eyes when he got hit, and his eyes showed me there was nobody home. He was out. Because he was up in the air, it was unusual because the punch actually turned him, and he turned towards me, luckily. If the punch had been a left hand, I wouldn't have seen what I saw. I saw the way he fell, and in the sport of mixed martial arts, the referee stops the fight if you cannot intelligently defend yourself. And you see the way Andrei fell, he fell face first with his hands at his side. He wasn't going to be able to defend himself, so stopping that is what I'm there to do, and fortunately I was able to do my job.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC, Quebec Commission Agree to UFC 97 Rules

Montreal will get its “Redemption.”

UFC 97 will take place as scheduled at the Bell Centre in Montreal on April 18, after the promoters met with Québécois officials on Tuesday and hashed out acceptable rules for the event.

Regie des Alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ), the government agency that oversees combat sports in Quebec, posted a press release on Wednesday stating that the UFC would receive a license to hold the event, but gave no details regarding any revised rules, if any.

“During our meeting, the Regie received assurances by the promoter that the security of the participants will be assured and that the regulation on the fight sports will be respected at the time of the event,” read the RACJ release.

Quebec Boxing Commission representative Daniele Gagnon told Sherdog.com that no further comment would be issued by the commission or the RACJ on Wednesday.

Rejean Theriault, communications director for the RACJ, announced last week that the provincial agency would uphold previously unrecognized regulations for the sport which prohibited elbow and knee strikes, and asked referees to intervene each time a fighter was knocked down. The rules were drafted for “mixed boxing” in the early 1990s, and severely handicap what fans recognize today as mixed martial arts.

MMA events have been hosted in the province for nearly ten years under rules comparable to the unified rules of combat, but a recent change in leadership at the commission led to a re-evaluation of the system. Theriault said the RACJ was unaware that the commission’s previous head, Mario LaTraverse, has allowed promoters to deviate from the Quebec regulations in place.

Officials were hard-pressed to make the decision after a Titans Fighting (formerly Strikebox) event on Feb. 6 in Montreal ended in near-riot regarding confusion over the rules.

Richard Renault, who replaced LaTraverse, was among those who called for a more stringent application of the regulations on the books.

UFC 97, which pits middleweight champion Anderson Silva against jiu-jitsu ace Thales Leites, sold nearly 13,000 tickets in the first few minutes, said UFC officials last week. The promotion’s previous trip to Montreal for UFC 83 last April sold 20,011 tickets, a record for the promotion and the sport in North America.

Feb 7, 2006
Dream, Sengoku Tourneys Take Shape

The lineups for the Dream and Sengoku featherweight tournaments are all but completed.

Dream parent company Fighting and Entertainment Group has completed its tournament rosters, announcing all the participants and bouts for its upcoming March 8 tourney kickoff at the Saitama Super Arena. In addition, Sengoku backer World Victory Road has announced another four entrants for its own bracket, bringing the total of announced competitors to 15 of the slated 16 for its March 20 opener at Tokyo's Yoyogi National Stadium Second Gymnasium.

After a month of drama surrounding the potential participation of Japanese superstar Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto in Dream's grand prix, the featherweight firebrand has confirmed his place in the tournament -- which was originally conceived around his participation.

Unlike the rest of the tournament, Yamamoto will be seeded into the quarterfinal round of the tournament in May, meaning the grand prix will feature 15 competitors rather than 16. While FEG and Yamamoto have cited continuing issues with a knee injury, as previously reported by Sherdog.com, there have been further complications due to many of the promotion's event sponsors being reluctant to sign off Yamamoto's return due to lingering media scrutiny. In July, Japanese tabloid Shukan Gendai linked the 31-year-old Yamamoto to "marijuana parties" in Tokyo, an allegation with considerable impact given the strict cannabis control laws in Japan.

Also requiring some creative scheduling, the quarterfinal bout between janitor-turned-posterboy Hideo Tokoro and rabble-rouser Daiki "DJ.taiki" Hata has been lined up for the April 5 welterweight grand prix opener at the NGK Insulators Hall in Nagoya. The 26-year-old Hata earned his way into the tournament by taking a unanimous verdict in his brawl with Shoji Maruyama on Feb. 20 in the Deep ring. However, Hata's left eye was badly swollen shut following the bout, and won't be battle-ready for March 8, necessitating the rescheduling.

The March 8 card will feature the remaining six quarterfinal bouts: former Deep featherweight and current Deep bantamweight king Masakazu Imanari will take on "Kid" Yamamoto pupil Atsushi Yamamoto; brawler Hiroyuki Takaya meets Dong Sik Yoon understudy Jong Won Kim; WEC veterans Yoshiro Maeda and Micah Miller do battle; former WEC bantamweight champ Chase Beebe confronts former Greco-Roman wrestling world champion Joe Warren; Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Bibiano Fernandes meets fast-rising Takafumi Otsuka and wildchild "Wicky Akiyo" Akiyo Nishiura takes on 21-year-old former EliteXC title challenger Abel Cullum.

Also, FEG have finally ended the speculation about the weight contract of its tournament, announcing that the featherweight bouts will be contested at 139 pounds.

While WVR have yet to reveal any of its opening-round tournament bouts for March 20, it did announce the participation of former Shooto world champion Hideki Kadowaki, hot prospect and IFL veteran L.C. Davis and former KOTC standouts Nam Phan and Matt Jaggers.

Davis and Jaggers both enter the tournament on victories, Davis having taken a hard-fought unanimous decision over Bao Quach at Affliction's Jan. 20 "Day of Reckoning,” while Jaggers punched out Chris Boyden in November. Meanwhile, Kadowaki and Phan are coming off contentious decision losses, as Kadowaki dropped his Shooto world title to "Lion Takeshi" Takeshi Inoue on a razor-thin, one-point unanimous verdict in November. Phan hasn't fought since his controversial split decision loss to Billy Evangelista in Strikeforce last June.

WVR director Takahiro Kokuho revealed that the promotion hopes to add one more Asian fighter, preferably Japanese, to the tournament draw before announcing all eight opening-round bouts next week.

Feb 7, 2006
Silva in Sight, Maia Focused on Sonnen

Four fights, four submissions. Demian Maia could not have drawn up a more impressive start to his UFC career.

Maia (9-0) will face arguably his toughest challenge when he meets Team Quest veteran Chael Sonnen at UFC 95 “Sanchez vs. Stevenson” this Saturday at the O2 Arena in London. Some believe an impressive victory against Sonnen will thrust the unbeaten Brazilian to the front of the line of potential contenders for UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Sonnen (21-9-1) -- the first man to defeat former World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight champion Paulo Filho -- has won two straight fights and seven of his last eight.

“Chael is a pretty tough and strategic opponent and very hard to put down,” Maia says. “It’s going to be a hard fight, but at the end, I believe I’ll get my fifth submission.”

Maia prepared for Sonnen by training with former Pride Fighting Championships titleholder Wanderlei Silva in Las Vegas and wants nothing more than to maintain his current momentum. The 31-year-old has finished his past six opponents and has turned his world-class submissions skills into quite the business venture. In three of his four appearances inside the Octagon, he has earned the “Submission of the Night” bonus, his haul totaling $175,000.

A two-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion, Maia had no trouble his last time out, as he submitted Nate Quarry with a rear-naked choke in just 2:13 at UFC 91 in November. He coaxed tapouts from his three other UFC opponents -- Jason MacDonald, Ed Herman and Ryan Jensen -- with chokes, as well.

“The difference between me and other black belts is that I truly believe that jiu-jitsu can be used in all aspects of MMA, because it was created to do that,” Maia says. “If you train hard, it will work.”

Already viewed by many as the top jiu-jitsu player in MMA, Maia spent his training camp sharpening his conditioning and striking skills.

“I trained the first month in Brazil and then came to Las Vegas to finish my last three weeks of preparation with Wanderlei and our physical trainer, Rafael Alejarra,” says Maia, who left for London on Monday. “Plus, I had Wanderlei to hit me every day.”

Maia watched the rematch between Sonnen and Filho at WEC 36 in November but does not believe the bout provided adequate insight into either fighter. More than half of the Sonnen’s nine career defeats have come by submission, and he tapped out to an armbar the first time he met Filho.

“I still haven’t had the opportunity to see the first fight between them, when Filho won, but in the second, I couldn’t get a handle on it, because it was not Paulo Filho,” Maia says. “I respect Sonnen, but I believe I can submit him.”

The reigning Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling world champion at 88 kilograms, Maia has focused all of his attention on his burgeoning MMA career.

“I think I’ve already won the most important titles in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and grappling,” Maia says. “Now, I’m totally focused on MMA. If I win this fight, I may get the most important fight of my career against Anderson Silva, who I believe is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.”

Though a fight with Silva seems within reach, Maia sees Sonnen as a formidable foe. The outspoken Oregonian and NCAA All-American wrestler figures to enter to Octagon hungry, as he has not appeared in the UFC since he submitted to a Jeremy Horn armbar at UFC 60 three years ago.

“One opponent at a time,” Maia says. “I’m totally focused on Sonnen. What I can say is that my strategy is to get in the Octagon and always use my jiu-jitsu.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 97 televised main card finalized

Just two days after UFC officials successfully negotiated with Canadian officials to keep "UFC 97: Redemption" in Montreal, the organization has released the official fight card, including a five-bout televised main card, for the April 18 event.

UFC 97 is headlined by a UFC middleweight championship bout between title-holder Anderson Silva and challenger Thales Leites. Former 205-pound champ Chuck Liddell meets Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in the co-main event.

UFC 97 takes place at the Bell Centre and airs on pay per view.

Also slated for the main card is a light-heavyweight bout between "The Ultimate Fighter 8" cast member Krzysztof Soszynski and former WEC 205-pound champ Brian Stann. Additionally, Steve Cantwell, the WEC's final light-heavyweight champion, takes on Luiz Cane.

A late-announced heavyweight fight between Cheick Kongo and Antoni Hardonk rounds out the televised main card.

With the event taking place in Canada, the UFC 97 preliminary card features many Canadian fighters, including Denis Kang, David Loiseau, Jason MacDonald, Sam Stout, Mark Bocek and UFC newcomer T.J. Grant.

The full UFC 97 card includes:

MAIN CARD

Middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites
Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann
Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk
Luis Cane vs. Steve Cantwell
PRELIMINARY CARD

Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Denis Kang
Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry
Ed Herman vs. David Loiseau
David Bielkheden vs. Mark Bocek
Ryo Chonan vs. T.J. Grant
Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman
The UFC's first event in Montreal, UFC 83 in April 2008, set the organization's attendance (21,390) and live gate ($5.1 million) records and remains one of the most successful and anticipated events in UFC history.

This year's return trip was briefly in jeopardy when commission executives stated earlier this month the UFC couldn't hold an event with its current rule set, which includes knee and elbow strikes, as well as foot stomps. In addition to wanting to ban those strikes, the commission also said fights would have to include a standing eight-count rule.

However, after meeting with UFC executives Lorenzo Fertitta and Marc Ratner, the commission decided to allow UFC 97 to go on as expected with its current rules, which they felt would keep competitors adequately protected.

Feb 7, 2006
Rich Franklin and Wanderlei Silva agree to UFC 99 co-main-event bout

Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin (24-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) and former PRIDE title-holder Wanderlei Silva (32-9-1 MMA, 2-4 UFC) have agreed to meet at UFC 99, an event that takes place June 13 at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany.

A source close to one of the competitors told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fight has been agreed upon, but not signed, and both competitors are open to doing it at a catch-weight between 185 and 205 pounds.

The source also said the Franklin-Silva fight is expected to take the night's co-main event slot, possibly under a headline bout between UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn and top contender Kenny Florian.

Silva signed with the UFC in 2007 after a long and successful run in PRIDE. Returning to the UFC for the first time since a UFC 25 loss to Tito Ortiz in 2000, Silva faced Chuck Liddell at UFC 79 in late 2007. He suffered a unanimous-decision loss, but Silva rebounded for a dominating 36-second knockout of Keith Jardine five months later.

Silva most recently fought at UFC 92 in December, where he suffered a first-round knockout loss to Quinton Jackson.

After the fight, Silva said he was planning to drop to the middleweight division, a weight class Franklin recently left.

Franklin returns to competition for the first time since a UFC 93 main-event loss to Dan Henderson. Henderson won a split decision (29-28, 27-30, 29-28) over Franklin, who was competing for the second time since he moved from middleweight to light heavyweight last year. The move came after two losses to current 185-pound champ Anderson Silva.

Franklin suffered a deep eye poke in the final minute of the Henderson fight and was diagnosed with a severely scratched cornea. As we reported last week, he underwent surgery to remove scar tissue that had accumulated near the injured area of his right eye and near the area where the eyelid meets the cheek.

He's expected to be fully healed well in time for the June event.

UFC 99 marks the UFC's first-ever trip to Germany.

While the UFC has yet to announce the event or any match-ups for the fight card, MMAjunkie.com first reported earlier this week that UFC lightweight Spencer Fisher (22-4 MMA, 7-3 UFC) has agreed to meet Caol Uno (27-11-4 MMA, 3-3-1 UFC), who returns to the UFC for the first time in nearly nine years, at the June event.

Marcus Davis is also expected to be part of UFC 99. But despite reports putting Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic on the card, the Croatian fighter is still in negotiations with multiple organizations, including the UFC.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 95 co-headliner Dan Hardy getting the Michael Bisping treatment

Just three days from now, in just his second career UFC bout, U.K. fighter Dan Hardy (20-6 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will compete in the co-main event of UFC 95, which takes place Feb. 21 at The 02 in London, England.

Although staying focused on opponent Rory Markham (16-4 MMA, 1-0 UFC), Hardy can't help but notice the amount of attention and publicity the event – and he – have received.

"The last two weeks have been insane," Hardy told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "The amount of interviews and everything – it's the hit thing right now. Everyone wants to read about and hear about the UFC."

Hardy, who made his octagon debut in October with a split-decision win over Akihiro Gono at UFC 89, is now 9-1 in his past 10 fights. That career resurgence, in no doubt aided by a recent barnstorming tour of the top training camps in the U.S., has thrust him into a featured bout on UFC 95's Spike TV-televised main card.

"It was quite an honor just to be on the main card," Hardy said. "I was very surprised I was the co-main event. Even up until a few days ago, I was saying they'll probably move me down a spot or two or rearrange [the card]. But I guess it's the fight the fans here want to see. There's a lot of buzz, and the guys here want to see how I do. I suppose that got me a higher spot on the card."

If Hardy weren't in such a deep division, the welterweight fighter would probably be mentioned more often as a contender. The Cage Force and Cage Warriors vet has already defeated some of Europe's best welterweights, and he plans to make the UFC his longterm home, which is why he initially turned down an offer from the UFC a couple years ago.

"I was at a stage in my career where I wasn't ready for that step," Hardy said. "I didn't think I could be competition for the guys in the UFC at the time. ... I wanted to come into the UFC hitting the ground running and to get a belt, but I needed more experience."

He got it, and another UFC offer soon followed.

While most American fans are aware of the UFC's dominance of the MMA landscape domestically, Hardy said British fans also know how prestigious it was for him to land a contract with the organization.

"The UFC is well branded and held in high regard here," Hardy said. "There are lots of politics in the U.K. with MMA, and the UFC rose above it and really legitimized the sport here."

So now, Hardy is experiencing the media ride that comes with his first major UFC fight. Like his longtime acquaintance and fellow British UFC star Michael Bisping, Hardy is getting a firsthand look at his country's new obsession with MMA.

"There have been a lot of national newspapers that I would have never thought would have interest in MMA contacting me," Hardy said. "It just shows how popular it's gotten when those newspapers are wanting to publish details of the show and everything about the local fighters."

Bisping, "The Ultimate Fighter 3" winner and coach on the upcoming ninth season of "TUF," has emerged as one of the country's top sports stars. Bisping's ascent mirrored that of the UFC's, and the organization built an entire European operation around the budding star. While the UFC has since introduced a small army of European fighters to bolster its overseas cards, Hardy thinks he's right on Bisping's heels as a potential UFC superstar.

"I think I'm well on my way," said Hardy when asked if his popularity could eventually match Bisping's. "I'm getting so much exposure from the media right now. Everywhere [the fans] turn, they're finding something about me, demonstrating a technique, learning what my favorite food is and stuff like that. I'm well on my way.

"I just need to have the same success in the octagon that Bisping has had. It's up to me. I get my chance Saturday."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC announces TV deal to broadcast in France

The Ultimate Fighting Championship's European invasion shows no signs of slowing down.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported on Saturday, the German station DSF will begin airing UFC-related content, including past episodes of "UFC Unleashed" and major pay-per-view events, next month.

Now, the UFC has announced a similar deal with RTL9 that will open the organization up to more than 14 million French-language homes across France and other European and African locales.

According to a press release issued today on UFC.com, UFC programming had never previously been available on TV in France.

"I'm very excited that the UFC has hit the RTL9 airwaves and that from here on in, French and French-speaking mixed-martial-arts fans won't miss out on any of the action from inside the octagon," UFC President Dana White stated in the release. "As well as 'UFC Unleashed,' fans also get to see the biggest and best events in all of combat sports."

RTL9 began broadcasting episodes of "UFC Unleashed" in December. It'll next show UFC 95, which takes place this Saturday (Feb. 21), on a four-day delay next week.

RTL9, launched in Luxembourg in 1955, also broadcasts "WWE Raw," "Poker After Dark," American sitcoms, movies, and other general sports and entertainment programming. The station is available in many French-speaking areas of Europe and Africa, including Guadeloupe, French Polynesia, Cameroon, Chad, Congo and Nigeria.

The UFC has never held an event in France, which lifted a ban on MMA just last year. The country has produced fighters such as UFC veterans Jess Liaudin and Cheick Kongo and former PRIDE/EliteXC fighter Cyrille "The Snake" Diabate, who have found success with major organizations outside the country.

Feb 7, 2006
Trainer Saulo Ribeiro, "TUF" coach Chuck Liddell on Diego Sanchez

Some of the highest peaks in the U.S. are located in Lake Tahoe, Calif.

And that's where Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez spent the first month of the new year living like a nomad, training at heights up to 7,000 feet above sea level, training on altitude to push his cardio conditioning beyond the most inhuman of tests.

What lies ahead is the conclusion of a severe, though self-imposed, weight cut. A time change. Even an adjustment in cuisine when for UFC 95, which takes place Saturday in London, England.

"The food I hear," said Sanchez in a recent UFC 95 conference call, "is crappy in London."

This coming from someone who once ate red meat well done and rubbery enough to play Frisbee, who lived on boxes of Rice Krispies every night while competing on the first season of "The Ultimate Fighter 1" in 2005.

Besides the cereal diet on "TUF," Sanchez had to endure what his season-one coach Chuck Liddell compared to living in prison – except with a kitchen, a swimming pool and a view of the Las Vegas skyline. Twice raw sewage flooded the downstairs bathrooms, and several fighters were stricken with illnesses such as impetigo, a flesh-eating virus, and even respiratory infection.

The fighters were around each other 24-7, creating a caged-animal mentality within those already trained to kill or be killed.

Sanchez survived as the last one standing in the middleweight class, but there were lots more to discover as a fighter. He embarked on a journey that led him to a drop from middleweight to welterweight and an undefeated 17-0 record before he suffered back-to-back decision losses to Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch in 2007.

Sanchez is still searching for answers to what will take him to his ultimate goal. He yearns to be a champion in not one, but two divisions. His altitude training, he said, will help with recovery from and adaption to any situation: weight change, time change, the drive to finish his opponent and not let three judges determine an outcome.

A monster at 155

"We're going to finish this fight," Saulo Ribeiro, Sanchez's trainer, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's going to cost us a bit of risk, but we're going to take that risk. Because if [we] don't take risks, Diego is never going to be champion of the world."

Headlining a major (non-"UFC Fight Night") card for the first time in his career, Sanchez (19-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) battles Joe "Daddy" Stevenson (29-9 MMA, 6-3 UFC) at UFC 95 Saturday in London, England. He intends to meet the 155-pound lightweight limit and complete an overall drop of 38 pounds since Christmas Eve. Red meat and Rice Krispies were replaced by fish, brown rice, egg whites and spinach for a daily total calorie count of 1,100. When on the top of his game, Sanchez is a dynamo that attacks from the opening bell. Thanks to the new diet, his camp is confident he'll be running on premium unleaded.

"If you put [crappy] gasoline in your car, it's not going to work 100 percent," Ribeiro says. "You have to experience different nutrition, different foods and different supplements. Diego has found what food, meats and supplements are good for him. He's really balanced right now. He's going to make 155."

Despite an 8-2 record as a welterweight, Sanchez's reasoning for dropping down was simple. He wanted a challenge, one that required a lot of discipline. And while UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn is on Sanchez's radar, Stevenson is his solitary focus.

To start Sanchez is diving straight into the lightweight division's deep waters. Stevenson is angry over a lost opportunity at Penn's title when Kenny Florian made him submit in the first round at UFC 91 and showed his feisty side when he recently told The Daily Mirror that Sanchez's choice of opponent was "a bad decision, and I am going make him regret it."

"Joe can think whatever he thinks," Ribeiro says. "It's not up to Joe to decide if he's a good or bad decision for Diego. I think Diego is very confident and comfortable with the choice that he made. You're going to see a very, very scary Diego Sanchez for this fight. At 155 Diego is going to be a monster. You're going to see the best of Diego ever."

Ribeiro is a third-degree black belt in Brazilian jiu jitsu and a six-time gold medalist and world jiu-jitsu champion. He took Sanchez under his wing after the former's unanimous-decision loss to Josh Koscheck in April 2007. Right away Ribeiro learned that Sanchez needed no motivation and that his will to win is coming from within.

"Everybody wants to be the champ, but just a few want to pay the price," Ribeiro says. "And the price is high. The price is hard."

The road to UFC contention

The martial arts became Sanchez's calling at the age of 9. He parlayed the interest into a state wrestling championship at 152 pounds his senior year at Del Norde High School (Albuquerque, N.M.). He made his money after graduation working at UPS and honed his craft by earning a black belt in Gaidojutsu before making his MMA debut in 2002.

Working smaller shows, including the King of the Cage, Sanchez raced to an 11-0 start before he was chosen as a participant on an upstart MMA-themed series on Spike TV called "The Ultimate Fighter." That first season of "TUF" saw a mix of prospects and veterans looking for one last shot at glory. It was a group that featured the likes of current UFC stars Forrest Griffin, Kenny Florian, Mike Swick, Nate Quarry, Stephan Bonnar and others.

All 16 fighters lived together in a plush mansion – one with a septic system designed for four people. Prohibited were television, books, phone calls and field trips to anywhere but the gym.

Many of the fighters claimed they were misled about the premise. A few (Josh Koscheck, Chris Leben and Bobby Southworth, for example) were consumed by emotions. All Sanchez did was keep going, taking whatever aggression he had pent up into his workouts.

"He worked very hard and is very competitive at what he does," Liddell, Sanchez's celebrity coach on the show, told MMAjunkie.com. "He had a great drive to get better. That work ethic stood out during his training, and he thrived."

Having earned a UFC contract with his first-round TKO of Florian at the show's live finale in April 2005, Sanchez won his first six UFC fights after moving from middleweight to welterweight. He bumped his MMA record to 17-0 by scoring the first UFC knockout of his career over Joe Riggs.

The top of the MMA world was at his fingertips, and up next was Koscheck, a "TUF" castmate, at UFC 69. However, there was a critical element missing from Sanchez's game, the ferocity that helped him steamroll over Riggs.

Sanchez entered round three trailing in the bout, but instead of charging his opponent, desperate to steal a win, Sanchez's timed jabs were countered by Koscheck's hand speed. Sanchez lost the fight on all three judges' cards, and several weeks after the fight, it was revealed he nearly lost everything. He had tested positive for hepatitis C, a liver virus that can go undetected for years and can lead to cirrhosis, liver cancer and even liver failure.

UFC president Dana White was to announce Sanchez's retirement at the prefight weigh-in, but the fight went on, and a series of follow-up tests revealed not hepatitis C, but a venomous staph infection, which developed into a ghastly cup-sized wound on his leg.

Five months later, Sanchez lost a split decision to a much-bigger Jon Fitch, but he rebounded to win his next two fights with stops of David Bielkheden and Luigi Fiorvanti to reclaim his status as a top welterweight. The TKO of Fiorvanti, a climatic finish that saw Sanchez piece together a left kick to the head, a running knee and a flurry of blows, led UFC analyst Joe Rogan to scream, "Diego Sanchez is back for sure!"

Ribeiro counters that notion. Sanchez may have hit a rough patch, but he never went anywhere. A simple cleansing was in order.

"Diego is surrounded by people who want to go where he wants to go," Ribeiro says. "One of the hard things to do was [get rid of] the people who wanted to take advantage of the fighters' fame but don't want to put in the hard work. The whole crew today is surrounded by good professionals who want to see Diego become the best 155-pounder in the world. All the things that happened in the past were good lessons for Diego, and now he understands what being a professional fighter means."

Liddell: "He'll go as far as he wants"

Sanchez is no stranger to lost opportunities.

He was to battle Thiago Alves in October; the winner would likely meet Georges St. Pierre for the welterweight crown. However, Sanchez suffered a rib injury in training and was forced him to pull out with two weeks' notice.

Ribeiro believes his fighter can take Penn right now, even though Sanchez must first get by Stevenson, a perennial contender who's fallen short in his few big fights.

The winner Saturday rises dramatically up the lightweight ladder. The loser is sent spiraling down a treacherous mountain.

"'Joe Daddy' is a tough guy that almost got there but didn't get there," Ribeiro says. "So I think that they gave one more chance to Joe Daddy to see if he wants to stay as a top contender or if his journey with the UFC is over. Diego is going to face a guy who's going to give everything or nothing, and I expect a great fight.

"He's in peace. He's in a peace of mind and injury free. We're going to go to London in the main event, and we're going to make a statement: 'OK, give us a title shot, or what?'"

With those remarks Ribeiro resumed the business of training a fighter and the art of molding character. The last couple of weeks were spent in Las Vegas before heading overseas, where Sanchez faces his latest and greatest challenge.

"He keeps learning; he'll go as far as he wants to in this weight class and show what he's made of," Liddell said. "Saturday is his first chance to show where he's at."

Sanchez has already manned up, winning every battle life has thrown at him - for the simple reason that he's willing to pay the price. Those stairs will remain hard to climb, but putting Stevenson down for the count will make a view of the top a bit clearer.

Feb 7, 2006
THOMPSON VS YORK AT SENGOKU SEVENTH BATTLE

James “Colossus” Thompson will look for drama-free competition when he returns to action against Jim “Big” York at Sengoku "Seventh Battle" on March 20 at Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Tokyo.

Thompson’s representative, Ken Pavia of MMAAgents.com, confirmed the World Victory Road-promoted fight to MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday evening.

Thompson last appeared at the debacle known as Titans Fighting/Strike Box, where he caused a riot by grounding and pounding former pro hockey player Steve Bosse, in breach of a “gentleman’s agreement” set by promoter Stephane Patry. Earlier, Patry had been advised by the Governing Body of Alcohol, Races and Games of Quebec (RACJ) that his proposed modifications to the agency’s MMA rules for the show would not be accepted, motivating a back-door arrangement with fighters to keep the action standing.

Before that, Thompson fought Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson to a controversial stoppage at EliteXC’s first CBS televised event last May. After dominating Slice on the ground, he sustained several hard punches in the bout’s final frame and was waved off by referee Dan Mirgliotta. Thompson came close to receiving a suspension from the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board when he struck Mirgliotta in the moments after the fight’s end.

The 30-year-old former debt collector and gypsy remover is 14-9 in 6 years of competition and hit his second three-loss streak with the EliteXC loss. His last win was against Don Frye at Pride 34 in April of 2007.

New Zealand native York, 32, last competed at Sengoku’s “Second Battle,” where he lost by TKO to Yoshiro “Kiss” Nakao. The loss was just his second in 11 professional appearances, the first in five years in competition.

Feb 7, 2006
NICK THOMPSON AIMS TO IMPRESS AT MFC

Nick Thompson was given the nickname “The Goat” in his early training days due to his ability to practically get knocked out on command, much like the famed fainting goats.

Rather than let his dubious beginnings dictate his career to come, Thompson has proven himself a formidable fighter, developing into a perennial Top 10 welterweight over his six-year career.

After a disappointing loss in his last big name fight to titleholder Jake Shields in EliteXC, he rebounded with a win early this year in preparation to return to top level fighting this Friday against fellow Top 10 caliber fighter Paul Daley for the Maximum Fighting Championship in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

“The main thing I picked up was the importance of being tight in every aspect of your game,” said Thompson of his loss to Shields last July. “At that level you make one tiny mistake and it can cost you a huge fight, so I’ve been working on just being tight in my details.”

After taking time off to pass the bar exam to become legally able to practice law, he defeated Travis McCullough in January so he could be ready for Friday’s big showdown.

“It was good to get the ring rust off and just get back in the ring,” he commented. “I didn’t want to go in and fight Paul with not having fought in seven months. He’s the wrong guy to have ring rust against.”

Thompson knows to get back into the mix for a title he has to defeat top opposition, which is exactly what he feels Daley is.

“He’s the best striker at 170 (pounds) in my opinion,” he said of his current opposition. “I have to be very careful when I do strike. I still want to utilize my stand-up, as I feel that I can hold my own with anybody, but if I make a mistake he’ll make me pay on the feet.

“I want to be tight on the feet, and on the ground I think I have the superior skills. I want to impose my will if we hit the ground.”

As mentioned earlier, Thompson was part of one of EliteXC’s last outings before the promotion folded late last year. Since then, Strikeforce purchased the promotion’s assets, however, Thompson is currently in the dark as to whether his contract is to be part of the final deal.

“I have not heard either way,” he said. “EliteXC did have a contract with me for more fights, although it’s secondary to Sengoku (World Victory Road) and it isn’t exclusive, so I’m not sure if Strikeforce will be interested in that or not.

“If they are, great, I enjoy the Strikeforce promotion. If not, that’s fine too.”

If Strikeforce does not pick up Thompson's contract, he is more than happy to concentrate on his Japanese opportunities.

“I’ve got two fights left on my (Sengoku) deal,” he stated. “I hear they’re planning on doing a welterweight tournament this year, and I’d love to be their tournament champion. I feel I can fight anybody at 170 that they can get their hands on.”

When his deal is done in Japan, things could get very interesting for Thompson. He could very well find himself once again on bigger shows in the states, or perhaps pursue another career path.

“My contract is up with them in August, and I’ll be talking to the Ultimate Fighting Championship as well as anybody else that’s interested,” he said. “I passed the bar right after the Shields fight, so practicing law may be in my future.

“I’m in a unique position in that I have a lot of choices open to me. I’m going to do what’s best for me and my family; I’m just not sure what that is right now.”

Until then, however, he has a big test ahead of him this Friday in the MFC, and he plans on not letting anyone down who sees the fight.

“First and foremost I want to thank my gym, MMAA, API and all the guys there who helped me get ready,” he concluded. “I’d like to thank Tapout, Gamma-O and Calio Shoes. I’ve got my own (Calio brand) shoe coming out sometime this year, and I’m pretty excited about that.

“To those guys who can, come up and check out the show. For those of you who can’t make it up to Alberta, tune in to HDNet and hopefully I’ll be able to impress you with my fighting ability.”

Feb 7, 2006
MANNY GAMBURYAN JOINS WEC FEATHERWEIGHTS

After a disappointing split decision loss to Thiago Tavares at UFC 94, “The Ultimate Fighter” 5 runner-up Manny Gamburyan confirmed his drop to the featherweight division from his previous home at lightweight.

“I don’t know if the cut is going to be hard or easy – I haven’t made 145 in almost 10 years – but I’m going to do it in a good way,” he told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday. “I’m going to put together a beautiful training (camp).”

Last summer, Gamburyan said UFC co-owners Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta wanted him to make the leap to the WEC’s marquee division after taking on Rob Emerson at UFC 87. But Gamburyan lost, and revised the plan. He would defeat Tavares, challenge two fighters he felt he had unfinished business with (likely Nate Diaz and Sean Sherk), and cut the weight.

The decision to move the 27-year-old was made shortly after the Jan. 31 fight against Tavares.

Gamburyan plans on fighting as a lightweight again, but there are plenty of opportunities in the WEC.

“There are a lot of good guys at 145 also,” he said. “Mike Brown, Leonard Garcia, Urijah Faber, Jens Pulver. But I think my ability to drop to 145 – I’m going to be a lot stronger, and quicker. At 155, my technique is my advantage, because the day I’m fighting, I’m 160, 162. The guys are outweighing me by at least 20 pounds every fight, so I don’t think that’s fair.”

Gamburyan does not have a date for his WEC debut, but expects to fight in May or June, depending on the promotion’s schedule.

“I’ve never been this excited in my life,” he said.

Feb 7, 2006
TAPIA VS TAMURA AT WEC 40 IN CHICAGO

Former World Extreme Cagefighting bantamweight title challenger Manny Tapia will return to action at WEC 40 in Chicago as he takes on former Shooto lightweight champion Akitoshi Tamura.

Tapia is coming off an unsuccessful bid to for the WEC bantamweight championship, being stopped by current champ Miguel Torres by strikes at WEC 37. The loss to Torres was Tapia’s first of his career. He’ll look to get back to his familiar winning ways at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago.

Tamura made his promotional debut at WEC 37, where was choked out by former IFL featherweight champion Wagnney Fabiano late in the fight. He will be dropping down to bantamweight for the first time in his career, as he looks for his first win on American soil.

Also confirmed for WEC 40 is a clash of featherweights as American Top Team fighter Rafael Dias faces off with Midwest wrestling standout Cole Province. Both fighters came out on the losing end in their WEC debuts. Dias was stopped by Danny Castillo by strikes at WEC 36. Province lost a decision to Brazilian Diego Nunes at WEC 37.

The WEC 40 main event features Miguel Torres defending his bantamweight title against undefeated No. 1 contender Brian Bowles.