MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Affliction Teams With Ustream For Online Barker Channel

Pretty interesting concept, Affliction is streaming live and taped footage the next two days leading up to their PPV. Included will be interviews at the hotel, live coverage of the weigh-ins, and behind the scenes looks live during the PPV. Justin.tv and Ustream both are seeing increasing traffic with a myriad of programming and the insatiable appetities of MMA fans make this a great tie in for both the streaming companies and the fight promotions. While the UFC has its dedicated website, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to set up a similar concept, especially for their bigger cards i.e. Penn GSP 2. Other companies like Strikeforce and a reconstituted EXC might also see it as a vehicle for promotion.

Feb 7, 2006
Rovell Talks Affliction With Donald Trump Jr.

CNBC’s Darren Rovell sat down with Donald Trump Jr to talk about his family’s involvement with the Affliction group. You can check out video here.

Darren: Some people say that mixed martial arts is not a business. That it’s UFC and everything else. Maybe like wrestling and WWE and everything else. Dana White, the president of the UFC, said this in today’s USA Today about Affliction, “This show will be the end of it. If not, these guys are willing to lose a lot more money than I ever realized.” What’s your reaction to that, especially given the fact that we’ve had two mixed martial arts organizations in the IFL and Elite XC recently go down?

Trump Jr.: I have two responses to that. Dana White sounds like a mini-version of someone I know. That’s nonsense. But that’s what he does. He spouts off and says all sorts of things. Especially given their position with their bonds and everything that has come due, I don’t know if they’re in any real position to talk about these kinds of things. Going to what I said earlier, rather than putting on 20 shows, of which very few people are going to tune into because there’s just not that many people in the world, you can put on a great show 20 times a year. They flood it, do the old quote make it up in volume. We’re trying to put on a great card. We have the best fighter in the world and we’re going to put on a great show.

The WWE comparison is apt. If you are looking to get into the biz, you are looking to lose a lot of money for a long period of time, and even then you are still going to be a distant second. In the wrestling example, TNA Wrestling has had to go through a tremendous amount of capital to attain a modicum of visibility in the sports entertainment field. Affliction is looking at a much similar route, the question is will they abandon the ship after two shows? In the case of TNA, they had a huge financial backstop in Panda Energy to fund their foray into wrestling. Affliction has a successful but relatively minor (in the grand scheme of things) apparel company, while Affliction’s partners have dubious financial stakes in the venture. Affliction has partners in Golden Boy and Trump, but it is questionable if there are any long term commitments by those two parties to the fight promotion. They look good at press conferences and doing hype pieces for television, but there is a vast workload that goes into building a fight promotion, and I doubt those two entities are around for that long, hard slog.

Feb 7, 2006
Rebney Elaborates On Bellator Strategy

Bjorn Rebney recently spoke with HispanicBusiness.com about his nascent MMA promotion, Bellator Fighting Championships. The article goes into detail about Bellator’s unique ability to reach the Hispanic market, noting “Currently 30 fighters have signed up with Bellator and 60 percent of them count Spanish as their first language.” Rebney and his group did market research prior to making the leap into MMA and found the results intriguing:

Bellator commissioned a Nielsen study to track the difference between national ratings in the general market and in the Hispanic market for MMA programming. That study showed that “Hispanics disproportionately watch mixed martial arts programming.”

He said that according to the study, “In many cases there is a 2 to 1 ratio in willingness and desire for Hispanic viewers and consumers to watch MMA programming.”

Mr. Rebney also noted that Hispanics tend to be “fiercely brand loyal and have a tremendous amount of purchasing power. If you deliver a high quality product, where you have great fights, highly competitive programming, and really solid back stories in terms of getting feature pieces told about the fighters, you may be fortunate enough to capture the loyalty and alliance of that market.”

“Our target coming out of the box with this partnership with ESPN Deportes, our advertising, our marketing budget, and our promotions is the Hispanic market,” Rebney told HispanicBusiness, but there has also been mention of providing an English language version of the programming. If they are unable to get a television vehicle for the English language programming, an aggressive online campaign via streaming and other efforts will be helpful in bringing in other groups than just their Hispanic base.

Feb 7, 2006
Promoter’s Spotlight: Roy Englrebrecht (Part 2)

Affliction and M1-Global Endeavours

The transition from boxing into MMA proved to be a great career move for Englebrecht as his promotional experience caught the attention of some rather big players on the MMA scene.

In 2008, Affliction Entertainment, solicited help from Englebrecht in promoting their first show at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

“[Affliction] did not have a California promoter’s license” he said. “So, in fact, they were not allowed to do a show in the state.”

“They came to me as a licensee of the state and asked me if I would assist them with the Affliction: Banned show. Being a promoter, would I bring my expertise in operations and marketing? So, it was just attending weekly meetings, making sure the fights got approved and the fighters got licensed, and just adding my two cents to make the first show successful.”

Now, nearly six months later, Englebrecht has been retained to work on the Affliction card - only this time in a consulting role, as Golden Boy will handle the promotional duties.

There’s been much ado about the Affliction-Golden Boy relationship in recent weeks and months, but no more so than about Golden Boy’s decision to promote two different PPV cards on the same night, in the same state. On January 24th, Affliction: Day of Reckoning will be broadcast live and on PPV from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California while just 30 miles down the highway, Antonio Margarita will take on Sugar Shane Mosely at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Many would suggest that the PPVs are likely to cannibalize each other in terms of live-gate and PPV revenue, but that isn’t a concern according to Englebrecht. Instead, Affliction must focus on not being swallowed whole on the media front.

“We have to make sure that we don’t get lost in that week’s media activity, so we’re not a step child that week of the show” he said. “In Southern California, with the media, there are still some high profile fighters like Shane Mosely [that draw attention].”

“I like to think that we can be creative. Have a dual press conference with Shane and Antonio and their fighters and then cut their banner down, put ours up, and have our fighters come in for the media. Keep the media there for both.”

And getting creative is going to be something of a necessity for an organization that is rumoured to have lost anywhere between $2-4 million on their last show. When asked what Affliction needs to do in order to ensure long term success, Englebrecht hinted that they needed to decide what they wanted to be.

“Are they going to be a full-time fight promotions company doing major fights as well as club level fights?” he asked. “Affliction Entertainment, with two shows under their belt, has to figure out ‘Ok, where do we go from here? Are we going to sign young fighters? Are we going to establish a brand and take our brand to small town America?’ and I think that will be decided in 2009 once they get the second show in.”

“I think the first show, everybody does the first show. It’s after the second show where you sit down and say ‘Ok, guys, where do we go from here?”

Affliction isn’t the only MMA endeavour that Englebrecht is pursuing, either.

Most recently, Englebrecht and Steven Bash were awarded an M-1 Challenge Series Franchise for the up-coming M-1 Challenge World Tour - a team-based tournament set to play across various venues in various different countries over the 2009 calendar.

“[M-1 Global] was impressed that I’m a promoter that does successful club shows, because the M-1 Challenge is not a show that would play to an 18,000 seat arena. It’ll be more of a very strong MMA show that plays to a 4,000 to 5,000 seat arena.”

“They awarded us a franchise that will compete maybe four times in 2009. We might compete against Russia in an M-1 Challenge World Tour stop in Sao Paulo, Brazil or we might compete against Korea in Seoul, Korea. And there will be six teams competing at each stop.”

The purpose of the challenge, though, is to help showcase and develop the skills of younger, inexperienced fighters.

“It’s an opportunity for young, MMA fighters that are fairly skilled and haven’t been signed by the UFC to see the world, make a name for themselves, establish themselves by competing at the world-level, and then be in line to be signed by the UFC or WEC.

“Keep in mind they won’t make a lot of money. Each fighter for USA West, when we have a World Stop will probably make $1,500 or $2,000 but they get the chance to compete against another country and fighter and they get to visit a part of the world they’ve never seen before.”

Fight Promoter University

If his roles with Affliction and the M-1 Challenge World Tour weren’t enough, Englebrecht also runs a seminar entitled “Fight Promoter University” once every 6-8 months that teaches the basics of running a fight event to individuals looking to get into the sport.

“It’s an accelerated program on how to become a club-level, minor league fight promoter” he said. “It’s like drinking from a fire hose.”

“We’ve had some graduates that have made that step and been successful, but most of the time people come and they see what’s involved and they say, ‘you know, this isn’t for me’ or ‘there is an investment on my part’ and they’re intimidated by it.”

Not only do they provide their aspiring promoters a standard “club show” template with which they can take home and run their own promotion, they also give them practical experience. Every seminar is held over a five day period that coincides with either a Battle in the Ballroom or MMA Fist Series event, which allows each student to work the event and get some first-hand experience in running a promotion.

More information is available at Roy Englebrecht’s website: www.fightpromoteruniversity.com

Feb 7, 2006
M-1 Global prepares event in Brazil

The M-1 Global Group, one of the biggest MMA organizations of the world which has a contract with Fedor Emelianenko comes to Brazil after one year of negotiations. The event, which will have 16 countries in four different groups, made a partnership with the managers Eduardo Grimaldi and Fernando Navarro, from Naja Extreme fightwear, and the event will take place in São Paulo at May 9th.

“M-1 is a world championship which has 16 countries in four groups. Each group defines its champion that will face each other in different countries, then the winners fight at Russia on the semifinals and final, at November”, explained Eduardo.

Each team will have a head coach and five fighters from lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions, more five substitutes. “The Brazilian team is already being defined, we’re negotiating and I believe that, by the end of the month, we’ll announce the names”, said Fernando. The head coach of the Brazilian team will be Carlão Barreto, Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu balck belt and former fighter. The first challenge of the team, that is at group B, with USA, Korea and Russia, will be at February 21st at United States, against RedDevil team (USA).

“Carlão Barreto was an excellent choice as the coach, because he’s very patriotic and I’m sure that he’ll fight with everybody for the victory. We’re very proud to bring this event to Brazil. Our country is full of MMA talents and it’s time to have a event like this here. Just like at Formula 1 at Interlagos, now we have M-1, which will bring us a lot of happiness”, celebrated Eduardo. “Naja has as the goal to be the first business in the mind and heart of the fighters and this helps us a lot”.

Feb 7, 2006
Fight Official! Ryo Kawamura Vs. King Mo Announced

The rumored fight is now official. Light Heavyweight King Of Pancrase Ryo Kawamura will face King Mo in a Light Heavyweight fight at SENGOKU VII on March 20th

Feb 7, 2006
SENGOKU 2009 Schedule! Nam Phan In Featherweight GP?

WVR PR Kuniyasu said at the press conference today that 6 events are being planned for 2009. They will be in March, Early May, July, August, September, and November (plus SENGOKU NO RAN 2010 in early 2010). The Featherweight GP participants will be announced next week and Kuniyasu said that a fighter from American Top Team (Pequeno?) and Team Trojan (James Thompson, Zelg Galesic) will be in it. Could the fighter from Team Trojan be Ronnie Mann?

Another possible GP participant seems to be Nam Phan who would then be moving down to Featherweight from Lightweight

Nam trains w/ Andy Wang and Bao Quach for his upcoming fight in Japan (March 2009)

Update: Hidehiko Yoshida might return in July.

Update #2: Kuniyasu said that he wants to hold a one night 4-man tournament which would include Josh Barnett and Antonio Silva to determine the first ever SENGOKU Heavyweight champion.

Feb 7, 2006
HDNet Inside MMA: Affliction Weigh-ins
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/HDNet-Inside-MMA-Affliction-Weigh-ins-1888
On this week’s HDNet “Inside MMA,” Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten will hosted the show from the weigh-ins for Affliction's big "Day of Reckoning" card. Joining them were Guy Mezger and Tito Ortiz. Ron Kruck was on location to interview the fighters as the stepped off the scale.

Jan 6, 2004
www.myspace.com
Frank Mir ate at the restaraunt I work at last night. Motherfucker is huge. I dont really follow UFC but I told my boy and he went nuts. The owner of WEC was with him. I think that was the league name..

Quinton Jammer from the Chargers was there. And we also had Wilmer Valderamma in for his birthday dinner and after party at the club downstairs. Hella random I know. Are place is usually dead too..

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
after every ppv you say it was weak. why do you bother watching?

and 95 is free on spike and there are some decent fights on it. some of the best fights are between no name fighters with something to prove.
95 has some potential. Demian Maia vs. Chael Sonnen should be good, Maia gets another sub of the night and I think he's in the top 5 of the division. Diego's 155 debut vs. Joe Daddy, Marquardt, Kos, Junior Dos Santos, and the good UK guys like Terry Etim, Paul Kelly and Neil Grove.