MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Bad DREAM: Lackluster ratings could put Japanese promotion to sleep

Japan’s Fighting & Entertainment Group (FEG) had everything it needed to make sure its mixed martial arts promotion DREAM was a success.

Well, almost everything.

FEG secured a prime time spot on Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS), one of Japan’s top five TV networks and littered its fight cards with Japanese fan-favorites like Shinya Aoki, Ikuhisa Minowa and Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic.

What it didn’t have was enough people to actually care about its product.

The rabid fan base that was so desperate for a non-UFC fight promotion since the demise of PRIDE FC was a no-show. Either that, or the fan base was grotesuqely overestimated.

Is mixed martial arts in Japan a thing of the past?

In an attempt to prove its drawing power, DREAM 6 was aiming for a minimum 12.0 rating for its sixth event but had to settle for a much lower 9.0 - a mere .1 above it’s 8.9 debut back in March.

DREAM has underperformed in all three of its contracted four television events, prompting FEG’s Sadaharu Tanikawahas to consider dissolving the company if they eventually lose their television contract.

With their inability to hit their target numbers, it almost seems like a foregone conclusion.

On paper, DREAM 6 was a can’t-miss. Unfortunately the show as a whole was average, with a quick ending to the middleweight grand prix and a dissappointing no-contest between Mirko Cro Cop and Alistair Overeem.

Add to that an abundance of commercials during the TBS broadcast (and a choppy, watered down presentation on HDnet) and fans were left with little reason to come back for more.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction COO disputes USA Today report about long-term partnership with EliteXC

A report by USA Today’s Sergio Non stated that Affliction COO Michael Cohen had indicated that Affliction and Golden Boy Promotions’ Jan. 24 event would be a co-promotion with EliteXC that could possibly be televised on CBS or SHOWTIME.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com contacted Cohen Thursday morning as a followup and we were informed by Cohen that the USA Today report is not accurate.

“The report by Sergio Non is not entirely accurate,” said Cohen. “The way that the statement was supposed to read is that the event we’re concentrating on right now is the Oct. 4 event with CBS, SHOWTIME, and EliteXC.

“The question that was asked of me was ‘We understand that you have a Jan. 24 event that’s being planned as well. Will this event be aired on SHOWTIME or through CBS?’ My answer again to him was, ‘We’re certainly looking forward to a long-standing relationship or an ongoing relationship with CBS and SHOWTIME as well as Elite. But right now we’re concentrating on the Oct. 4 event and have not inked a deal for any future events.’”

Before contacting Cohen, Five Ounces of Pain also contacted a source at SHOWTIME who indicated that all parties were focused on Oct. 4 while also stating that no agreement for a Jan. 24 event was in place.

Feb 7, 2006
Fedor’s camp issues statement about next fight

In recent days there have been conflicting reports surrounding the scheduling of WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko’s next fight.

Speculation began to run rampant that Fedor will be competing in Japan for DREAM on New Year’s Eve following comments made during an in-ring interview at DREAM.6 this past Tuesday. Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio issued a response to the reports by saying that Fedor’s services had been secured for their planned January event.

The conflicting information has left a lot of fight fans confused as to when and where they’ll be able to see Fedor fight again. In an attempt to gain some clarity on the subject, FiveOuncesOfPain.com contacted M-1 officials for an official statement.

“As of right now, Fedor is not scheduled to fight on New Year’s Eve in Japan,” pronounced M-1 Vice President Jerry Millen, speaking on behalf of Fedor’s management team. “He is contracted to M-1 and Affliction and he’s scheduled to fight in America for them in mid-January.”

Feb 7, 2006
DREAM.6: Post Fight Interviews (1)

DREAM official website posted post fight interviews.
Sik Dong Yoon:
With some personal reason, I didn't have enough time to prepare for this fight so that I wasn't in a good shape. I couldn't show my ability. I felt Nakahara had a potential to be a top fighter. I decided to wear gi today, but it wasn't good idea. It was the worst fight I have ever had as a fighter. I'm confused right now and I want to leave here as soon as I can.
Andrews Nakahara:
I'm very happy to win. I want to thank Francisco Filho to support me. I spent most of my time improving my ground techniques. I'll work on striking techniques next. I could show what I learned in past 5 months. I need to develop submission and KO skills.
Melvin Manhoef:
I cannot believe that I lost because I was in the best condition. Our fight didn't develop as I planned. I disappointed about myself. I don't know what happened. I'm sorry for my teammates for being defeated today.
Zelg Benkei Galesic:
I had a confidence to win today; however, my punches didn't land effectively. It was very impressive to see his submission skills.
Andriano Martins:
I think we had a good fight, yet I'm not satisfied with the result. I hope I can get another chance to fight in DREAM. My strength is to knock down my opponent. Our fight developed as I planned and I cannot believe the result. Nakamura was a strong fighter and I would like to fight him again.
Ktaro Nakamura:
I know many people including me were disappointed to see my performance. (You said you wanted to fight Aoki next.) I'm not in a position to ask Aoki to fight now. I need to win clearly before requesting who I want to fight next. I tried to take him down, but I couldn't. I was booed. I didn't expected to get his elbows that much.....
Jimmy Ambriz:
He was very good at avoiding getting my punches. I was offered at the last minutes and it was hard for me to condition; although, I'm glad to be a part of this event.
Sergei Kharitonov:
I'm satisfied with the result. I fight anybody to be a champion.
Hideo Tokoro:
I deeply regret that I couldn't win. (You said you wanted to fight KID) No comment. I was going to control the fight by throwing jabs. Yamamoto was a very strong fighter. (You talked to KID after the fight. ) I was told.... I cannot tell anybody what Kid told me.
Atsushi Yamamoto:
I feel good now. (Did KID tell you anything after the fight?) He told me that I should have finish ed him off by giving him a decisive blow. If I can, I want to fight Imanari in NYE.
** Right after the fight, Yamamoto said "I didn't show everything I had today, and so I will fight Tokoro again and defeat him badly by pulling everything next time. (He was booed by Tokoro's fans.) Kid took his microphone and said "Don't say boo to Yamamoto. What you saw today is Tokoro's real ability." http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/news/20080924-00000002-gbr-fight.html
Masakatsu Funaki:
I relieved now. I couldn't lose this fight since I lost last 2 fights in DREAM. I feel like I finally came back. I would be happy to fight in NYE if I can. I thank Minowa and I want to train with him again.

Feb 7, 2006
DREAM.6: Post Fight Interviews (2)

DREAM official website posted interviews after DREAM.6.
Kuniyoshi Hironaka:
Mach was very strong. My punches landed and I did good in the standing position. I couldn't pass his guard.
Mach Sakurai:
I wish I had 10 more seconds, then I could KO him. (Hironaka regrets it that he couldn't pass your guards. ) I fight top fighters. I don't think it's easy for him to pass my guards. (Do you want to fight Phil Baroni?) I was going to fight him today. Unfortunately our fight was canceled; therefore, I fought a Japanese guy. I heard Metallica was my fan and I wear their t-shirt today.
Masanori Tonooka:
I couldn't respond to his ground techniques.
Yoshihiro Akiyama:
I thought I needed more experiences and training. (You said you wanted to fight Yoshida next ) I dreamed about participating in Olympic and getting a medal when I was a child. I'm interested in fighting him because he is a gold medalist and has guts. (Aoki wants to fight you) I appreciated his statement. I'm very happy to be respected by Aoki; however, I'm not interested in fighting him at all.
Todd Moore:
I did my best, but Aoki controlled the fight and he did what he had to do.
Shinya Aoki:
Both of us didn't have enough time to prepare for our fight. I'm glad I did good. (You want to fight Akiyama?) I wouldn't mind fighting him. I'm always here to fight anybody. (Akiyama said he was glad to know that you respected him) WAIT? Wow, he is such a positive thinker. I didn't mean that. I wonder who he think he is. I actually got nervous when he sat next me.... He was sweating a lot and I thought he was hyperhidrosis.
Alistair Overeem:
I was planning to be aggressive and throw hard punches from the beginning. It was easy to analyze patterns of Mirco's fighting style. I want to fight him again and defeat him clearly. First time, I admit that I hit his foul cup, but I hit the inside of his thigh in the second time. He couldn't get up because he was so tired.
Ronaldo Jacare:
I'm disappointed that I couldn't win this tournament. I did my best and I have no regret. I change my mind and do better next time. I was unlucky. I feel sorry for my fans. I train hard and do my best to be stronger.

Feb 7, 2006
VITALE FIGHT "JUST ANOTHER DAY" FOR TRIGG
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3489.html?PHPSESSID=aa054212b3e4e93a821e0b7d17fcc86d
Off the heels of his latest conquest in Japan, mixed martial arts (MMA) superstar Frank Trigg (17-6) doesn't seem too concerned about his next challenge, submission expert, Falaniko "Niko" Vitale (26-8). In fact, Trigg's seemingly nonchalant attitude toward the 185-pound limit matchup with Hawaii's top talent could be mistaken for brash overconfidence.

Feb 7, 2006
ED HERMAN: "I WOULD LIKE A REMATCH WITH BELCHER RIGHT AWAY"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3481.html
"Alan is one of the guys I wanted to fight because I thought it would be a good matchup. I thought it would be fun to stand and fight with him. I knew he would fight me…I would like a rematch with Belcher right away if I could, but we'll see what happens," stated UFC middleweight Ed Herman as he talked about his strong desire for a rematch with Alan Belcher. Check out what he had to say about their fight, his performance and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
Mirko Crocop: "We Will Settle Our Score On NYE"

Mirko Crocop was able to chat for a few minutes with a reporter from famous Croatian News service, www.Index.Hr

DreamFighters.com has the full translation of the interview.

"I'm dissapointed with the outcome of the fight, I was immaculately prepared for this fight, but in came out the way it did. The third strike to my balls was very strong, but thats part of the sport and the job."

After the fight there were quit a lot of suggestions that it was better for Cro Cop that the fight was stopped because he didn't have a chance, but Cro Cop said that until the third strike to the nuts he wasn't even hurt.

"I would like to go into the fact if the strikes were deliberate or not. I know some people were saying that I was saved by the fact the match was ended. There was blood, but those cuts were nothing, small cuts to the arcades and I wasn't hurt until I got hit in the nuts. The third strike into the nuts was very powerful and the biggest problem was that the cup squashed my nuts. I'm sad, I'm sure that he is also but we'll meet again on NYE to settle the score." Stressing that the fight isn't confirmed by dream yet but its highly likely.

Filipovic is confident that he would of got his chance in the remainder of the fight because Overeems condition is his weak point.

"I must admit that he had the initiative, especially after I first hit the matt. Apart from that I had a small injury on my knee and I couldn't throw him of myself as I need to use both feet for that. I think that nothing that happened in the fight was worrying for me. I was frightened the ref would stop the fight because of the bleeding. Overeem started the fight well, but his conditioning is his biggest problem and the question remains how he would been later in the fight."

Overeem said after the match that he didn't hit CC the third time and that CC faked it because he knew he would lose the fight.

"If the Goat is lying his horn isn't, I think the video footage shows everything, he hit me."

We can hear more often than ever from the fans that he should call it a day and that his best is past him.

CC replies:
Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong. First I need to relax, I need to go to the hospital for some check ups. I still have some problems, I pissed blood, but thats all part of the job."

Feb 7, 2006
HDNet Emerges as IFL Buyer

Mark Cuban’s HDNet channel has emerged as the frontrunner for all of the remaining assets of the International Fight League, which filed for bankruptcy Sept. 15.

Forms were filed Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission requesting that the publicly owned IFL be given permission to sell its remaining assets to the network. The forms also requested that HDNet be given every consideration as a potential buyer as the IFL’s assets go to the auction block through Oct. 23.

HDNet has offered a buying price of $650,000 for all intellectual property, including the IFL’s film, video and image library; its five-roped competition ring and team trademarks; and proprietary rights, including its Web site. The proposed transaction also includes any remaining broadcast contracts the IFL acquired during its two-year tenure, which includes a deal with Fox Sports Network.

HDNet Fights broadcasts a multitude of MMA events, including Strikeforce, Affliction and Japan's Dream promotion. The company’s CEO, Andrew Simon, was not immediately available for comment.

The IFL promoted 23 events in 24 months and spotlighted notable fighters like Ben Rothwell, Chris Horodecki, Jay Hieron and Rory Markham. Many of the IFL’s brightest stars have recently signed deals with the UFC, WEC, EliteXC and Affliction Entertainment.

Feb 7, 2006
SHIELDS VS DALEY NOT A DUAL TITLE BOUT

With EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields set to defend his title against Cage Rage champion Paul Daley on the Oct. 4 CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights telecast, there have been questions about whether or not this would be a dual-title bout considering that both men are champions and ProElite owns both promotions.

That question was definitively answered by EliteXC’s head of fight operation on Thursday, as Jeremy Lappen said, “This is for the EliteXC championship. You’ve got Paul Daley who is the Cage Rage champion, but this isn’t a Cage Rage fight.”

Shields and Daley were each fine with it being for both titles or not. But in the end, neither seemed to put too much emphasis on the titles themselves, agreeing with Lappen’s interpretation of the championship situation.

“All things considered, it’s somewhat semantics,” mused the ProElite executive. “The winner of this bout I going to be considered the best.”

Feb 7, 2006
Kevin Burns vs. Anthony Johnson II at The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale

After their first fight ended in controversy, Kevin Burns (7-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Anthony Johnson (5-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) will meet again in December at the live finale for "The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir."

Sources close to both fighters today told MMAjunkie.com that the two competitors have agreed to the fight and that it will be finalized in the coming days.

The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale takes place Dec. 13, though a location has been not announced.

During their original meeting at a July 19 UFC Fight Night event, referee Steve Mazzagatti repeatedly warned Burns about eye pokes, and a final third-round poke to the eye crumpled Johnson to the mat. Mazzagatti did not initially see the illegal strike, and Burns was awarded the TKO victory.

With no guidelines allowing the Nevada State Athletic Commission to overturn the decision, the outcome was upheld -- much to the dismay of many fans.

Burns was suffering from a hand injury during the fight, and he couldn't make a closed fist because a primary bone wouldn't fuse. Despite getting the victory, Burns recently told MMAjunkie.com that -- like Johnson -- he wanted the rematch.

"I know there's been talks of [a rematch]," Burns said. "I'm definitely wanting that to happen. I think the fans deserve that. It's kind of crappy how it ended. I want to do the right thing and make it right."

Burns made his UFC debut earlier this year after posting a 6-0 record in a variety of Midwest-based organizations. He then defeated Roan Carneiro via submission at UFC 85, and he returned a month later for the fight with Johnson. All eight of his victories have come via stoppage.

Johnson, meanwhile, entered the UFC after just three wins in three professional fights. He proceeded to knockout Chad Reiner in 13 seconds at UFC Fight Night 10 before suffering a second-round submission loss to Rich Clementi at UFC 76. Next, facing "The Ultimate Fighter 6" runner-up Tommy Speer, Johnson needed just 51 seconds for the knockout victory.

Feb 7, 2006
END IN SIGHT, EVERY FIGHT IS IMPORTANT TO TRIGG

Off the heels of his latest conquest in Japan, mixed martial arts star Frank Trigg doesn’t seem too concerned about his next challenge, submission expert Falaniko “Niko” Vitale. In fact, Trigg’s seemingly nonchalant attitude toward the 185-pound limit matchup with Hawaii’s top talent could be mistaken for brash overconfidence.

“To me, it’s just another day for me,” said Trigg, a 2000 Olympic wrestling trials finalist and former UFC welterweight championship challenger who will battle Vitale in a featured Strikeforce “Payback” contest at Broomfield, Colorado’s Broomfield Event Center on Friday, Oct. 3. “All of my days start to run together so I don’t have any thoughts about a particular fighter.”

When the subject of conversation turns to the state of his career, though, Trigg’s tone suddenly becomes more focused and intense. “I’ve only got a couple fights left so every fight is important to me.”

At 38, Trigg may be nearing the end of his splendid run in professional MMA. It is in the last two years, however, which he has also turned in some of his most impressive performances to date, including back-to-back wins over Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Kazuo Misaki.

Trigg attributes these recent good fortunes to his adoption of UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture as a mentor. Training at the Xtreme Couture academy in Las Vegas has provided him with a new outlook towards competition.

“One of my biggest problems has been that I’ve been my own worst enemy,” admitted Trigg. “I let that get in the way of my fights. One thing about Xtreme Couture, especially hanging out with Randy, is he (emphasizes) doing the best you can, so it really takes the stress off of you. For him, it’s always about being fun. So, it’s kind of interesting to see how he trains and I try to mimic the style.”

While he has surely carved out a legacy in the sport that almost anyone would be proud to call his own, Trigg remains most proud of his career in amateur wrestling, which included team competition at University of Oklahoma and culminated with his outstanding showing in the Olympic trials.

“The whole thing was a great memory for me,” said Trigg. “It’s one of those things that I’ll never forget, especially at the level I took it to. I took it to a level that very few people ever get to go to. Being an amateur wrestler is something that will always be important to me. It developed who I am, what I do, and how I approach things.”

In the main event of Strikeforce “Payback,” knockout artist and Denver native Duane “Bang” Ludwig will attempt to avenge a previous defeat at the hands of “The Ultimate Fighter” season three veteran Sam Morgan.

Also back in action at Strikeforce “Payback” will be “The New York Badass” Phil Baroni and “The Ultimate Fighter” season four veteran Pete Spratt, who will battle Donnie Liles.

Feb 7, 2006
BLACKBURN VS CHONAN AT UFC 92 IN DECEMBER

Former International Fight League (IFL) fighter Brad Blackburn and Pride veteran Ryo Chonan have agreed to fight on the undercard of UFC 92 on Dec. 27 in Las Vegas, according to sources close to the fighters’ camps.

The first six years of his professional career, Chonan built a solid reputation fighting for DEEP and Pride before making the move to America at UFC 78 in November of 2007. His Octagon debut was a loss to perennial contender Karo Parisyan. Chonan finally found success in the UFC with a split decision victory over Brazilian Roan Carneiro at UFC 88 earlier this month.

He will face Blackburn, who found limited success as a longtime member of the IFL’s roster, amassing a 4-2 record during his tenure with the now defunct promotion. He made an impressive impact in his debut in the Octagon, defeating James Giboo by TKO stoppage on July 19.

Their bout is expected as part of the UFC 92 undercard, supporting a main event bout between interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and former champion Frank Mir, the current coaches Season 8 of The Ultimate Fighter.

Feb 7, 2006
Melvin Manhoef announces retirement

Melvin Manhoef has retired following his semi-final loss to Gegard Mousasi in the DREAM middleweight GP earlier this week.

His team - Mike's Gym, headed by Mike Passandier - made the announcement earlier this evening, according to German-language site Ground and Pound.de

Manhoef apparently wants to spend more time with his young family, which has been difficult recently.

"Training seven days a week and three times a day has taken its toll on his family life" a spokesman explained.

No comment has yet been made as to how permanent the retirement is likely to be, or whether it applies to his MMA activity rather than his K-1 kickboxing career.

Feb 7, 2006
Santiago Looking to Capture Sengoku Tournament
videolink: http://sherdog.com/videos/recent/Santiago-Looking-to-Capture-Sengoku-Tournament-1783
Not long removed from his Strikeforce 185-pound tournament capturing performance, Jorge Santiago is looking to repeat his conquest as he prepares for Sengoku’s middleweight tourney.

Sherdog.com’s Greg Savage spoke exclusively with Santiago, who discussed his opening round opponent.

Feb 7, 2006
World Extreme Cagefighting Eliminates Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Divisions

With every fight, the WEC has proven itself to be a powerful and growing presence in sports, both with our live events and our programming on Versus," said Peter Dropick, WEC Vice President, Operations and Production. "Exciting matchups like Torres vs. Tapia on Dec. 3 and the incredible fights we have planned for 2009 under this new structure will no doubt establish WEC as the home of the best lighter weight fighters in the world."

Industry insiders have speculated for months as to when the move would actually happen and according to officials at the WEC, 2009 will move the focus to the lighter weight classes with the light heavyweight and middleweight classes leaving the promotion.

The WEC made no statement as to what would happen to the fighters currently competing in those weight classes, but it has long been assumed that at least champions like Paulo Filho and Steve Cantwell would make the move along with fighters such as Brian Stann, who has a tremendous fan following.

Current middleweight champion, Paulo Filho, is still slated to defend his WEC title in November against Chael Sonnen, but that may be the last scheduled fight for the weight class.

Feb 7, 2006
Tonight's ShoXC to crown new EliteXC bantamweight champion

Chicks dig the cowboy hat.

Although Abel Cullum prefers the "The Silent Assassin" nickname his father gave him when he started fighting in 2005, fans took to calling Cullum "Cowboy" after a cowboy hat became his cage-walk trademark. And, Cullum takes no offense since the moniker – and the hat – resonate with a certain segment of his fan base.

"People love the cowboy hat," he said. "The girls like it a lot. I know that."

The 21-year-old from tiny Tucumcari, N.M., will once again sport that signature hat on his way to the cage for the biggest fight of his career Friday night at the Chumash Casino Resort in Santa Ynez, Calif. Cullum (12-1) squares off against Brazilian Wilson Reis (5-0) in the main event of the latest chapter of EliteXC's ShoXC Elite Challenger Series.

The event airs on Showtime at 11 p.m. ET.

Although it's rare for a champion to be seen as an underdog heading into a bout, Cullum, the reigning King of the Cage titleholder at 135 pounds, believes most fans will give the pre-fight edge to Reis.

"I'm confident going into the fight, but, from a fan's point of view, I'm sure they would consider him the favorite only because they've seen him before," said Cullum. "He's undefeated and 3-0 in EliteXC, but I'm confident in my ability and my experience."

The Cullum-Reis match-up is for the vacant EliteXC bantamweight title and part of a five-fight card airing live on Showtime beginning at 11 p.m. Eastern. The five-rounder is a significant opportunity for Cullum, who despite owning a championship belt and an 11-fight winning streak, hasn't had much national exposure.

"It doesn't get much bigger than this," Cullum told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) earlier this week. "This could turn our lives around. This could make all that hard work and make all that sacrifice by my father and my little brother pay off. It could really help me give back to my family."

Fighting is indeed a family affair for Cullum, a "self-taught fighter," who has rebuffed suggestions by others to move away from Tucumcari, pop. 5,500, to train in more modern surroundings with more qualified training partners.

Cullum saw an MMA fight for the first time when he was 13 years old, and he told his father, John, that's what he wanted to do with his life. He dabbled in wrestling and football in high school, but continued to train in MMA as a teenager. Cullum turned pro as an 18-year-old, relying on a converted beaten-down motel as a makeshift training complex to hone his skills.

"We call it the dungeon," said Cullum, who submitted Ryan Diaz by armbar to claim the KOTC title back in May. "We put mats down and up the walls in the garage, and the café is the new weight room. The roof leaks, so when it rains, we get showered on. It's pretty primitive."

But, perfect to harden a fighter.

Cullum is trained by his father and works with a stable of about five regular training partners out of the unusual training venue. Cullum steps up in weight to face Reis, but since he walks around between 155 and 160 pounds, the result of the move to 140 pounds for his EliteXC debut is simply an easier cut in weight.

Reis is a 23-year-old Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt who has looked sharp since joining the EliteXC ranks in January. He trains and teaches at two of Philadelphia's top MMA and jiu-jitsu academies, Daddis Fight Camps and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu United. In his most recent fight on July 26, Reis dispatched Brian Caraway by unanimous decision.

Two unbeaten heavyweights meet in another featured bout on the Showtime portion of the card, as Shane Del Rosario of Irvine, Calif., battles San Francisco's Carl Seumanutafa. Both fighters are 4-0. Del Rosario, a prospect in not one, but two combat sports – he also is a Muay Thai pro – is making his third consecutive appearance on ShoXC.

In his last start in March, he scored a first-round TKO over Analu Brash at Chumash. Del Rosario is known for his Thai skills, but he dropped Brash with a low leg kick and applied effective ground-and-pound to finish his massive opponent with left hands and elbows. None of Del Rosario's MMA fights have made it beyond the first frame.

Seumanutafa won his EliteXC debut and fourth consecutive fight with a first-round TKO of Mike Cook in a non-televised fight on July 26. A competitive scrap ended shortly after Seumanutafa fell straight onto Cook's sternum, knocking the wind out of him.

Rounding out the televised slate are Muay Thai veteran Malaipet (3-2) of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., against David Douglas (5-1) of Antioch, Calif., at 150 pounds; Giva Santana (11-0) of Laguna Niguel, Calif., versus Jaime Jara (19-5) of North Highlands, Calif., at 185 pounds; and Philadelphia's Matt Makowski (3-0) taking on Eric Apple (9-1) of Irvine, Calif., at 170.