MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
CHRIS HORODECKI SIGNS WITH AFFLICTION

One of the prize free agents from the fallout of the International Fight League’s disbandment is free no more, as lightweight stand out Chris Horodecki has signed a three-fight deal with upstart promotion Affliction, as announced on Wednesday during a Las Vegas press conference held by the promotion.

Horodecki was one of many fighters left without a home as the IFL shuts its doors, but the young Canadian fighter caught on with the new organization and will debut on Oct. 11 in Las Vegas, as confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by company vice president Tom Atencio.

“We signed Chris Horodecki, which I’m really excited about," said Atencio. "Everything is falling into place for Las Vegas.”

During his time with the IFL, Horodecki proved to be one of the toughest and most well rounded fighters in the promotion.

When he made his debut, Horodecki was only 18-years-old, but he fought well beyond his years picking up wins over veterans such as Bart Palaszewski and Ryan Schultz.

It wasn’t until late in 2007 that he finally tasted defeat in his career, losing by TKO in a rematch with Schultz to close out the first and only IFL Grand Prix tournament.

No opponents have been named or signed on to face Horodecki in his debut match, but the promotion will likely have more information in the coming weeks.

Feb 7, 2006
Adrenaline MMA targets October return

Adrenaline MMA is working to determine the best date for its second show, but a crowded fall fight calendar has presented problems.

The Midwest promotion launched June 14 with a Chicago-area event that was headlined by heavyweights Mike Russow and Jason Guida.

Adrenaline CEO Monte Cox told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the event that a Sept. 6 return to Illinois, specifically Moline in the Quad Cities area, was in the works. However, that was before the UFC scheduled UFC 90 in Atlanta on the same date.

A decision to move the Adrenaline event to the following Saturday was subsequently scrapped due to a conflict with the Iowa vs. Iowa State football game, which could siphon would-be ticket buyers. That's pushed Adrenaline MMA II to the following month, with either Oct. 18 or Oct. 25 the likely landing spot.

Adrenaline originally wanted to line up both Tim Sylvia and Ben Rothwell for the show, but bouts have yet to be signed for either fighter. Sylvia has said he could be part of Affliction's second show, "Day of Reckoning," which takes place Oct. 11 in Las Vegas. That would take Sylvia out of the mix for the Adrenaline event.

Feb 7, 2006
Aleksander Emelianenko out of Oct. 11 Affliction

Atencio confirmed that Emelianenko -- a former PRIDE fighter and the younger brother of Affliction fighter Fedor Emelianenko -- will not be part of the Oct. 11 show, as was first planned.

Just as he was about to hit the scale for Affliction's event last month, Emelianenko was unexpectedly pulled from the fight card. (Gary Goodridge was quickly announced as a replacement.) The California State Athletic Commission stated that the 27-year-old fighter failed to meet licensing requirements, though officials could not divulge the reason why due to privacy regulations. Although it was widely reported that Emelianenko had tested positive for Hepatitis B, his camp has repeatedly denied the claims.

Emelianenko was visibly distraught after the decision and said the situation came as a complete surprise. And although he was optimistic the fighter could be cleared for the second event, Atencio said Emelianenko still faces licensing problems and that the organization had to move on without him being a part of the Oct. 11 event.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Tito Ortiz a no-show at Affliction presser

Despite a report published late Tuesday on SI.com, former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz did not appear at Affliction’s press conference in Las Vegas on Wednesday. The promotion was in town kickoff the push for its Oct. 11 “Day of Reckoning” pay-per-view that is set to emanate from the Thomas & Mack Center.

The news comes via a report by Sherdog.com’s Loretta Hunt.

According to Hunt, Affliction contradicted the SI report that stated it was expected to be announced formally on Wednesday that Ortiz had signed a lucrative contract. Officials with the promotion said that Ortiz has in fact not signed with the company.

Sherdog’s report goes on to add that an attorney for Affliction entertainment confirmed potential interest in Ortiz but went so far as to brand the original report by SI as a “rumor.”

It remains to be seen whether this was a case of Ortiz and Affliction being close to a deal and one of the parties getting cold feet or the report simply lacking validity.

Sherdog is also reporting that Affliction has announced matchups between Vitor Belfort vs. Matt Lindland and Roy Nelson vs. Paul Buentello at its upcoming show in October. The two bouts join the show’s main event of Josh Barnett vs. Andrei Arlovski as fights that have been made official.

Jul 24, 2005
Champ Jamie Varner confident the WEC can find worthy contenders

Just days after his first successful WEC lightweight title defense, Jamie Varner (15-2) says he believes the organization is well-suited to attract top-level opposition for future bouts.

Varner discussed his desire to face elite-level competition while a guest of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"I have faith that the WEC is constantly growing," Varner said. "They're constantly recruiting new talent. They're going to be finding guys for me to fight. I trust that eventually a guy that they're going to bring in will be a top-five guy, a top-10 guy, and I'll have a true test."

Varner survived an early test from challenger Marcus Hicks this past Sunday night's WEC 35 event. But after overcoming the initial onslaught, Varner was able to blast back with a barrage of punches, kicks and knees en route to a first-round stoppage.

Varner was impressed by the courage of his opponent.

"I was definitely wondering when [Hicks] was finally going to (fall)," Varner said. "Either the corner was going to throw in the towel or he was going to take his final fall. That was definitely going through my head as I was hitting him. I was like, 'How is this guy still standing?' But eventually he did fall, and (referee Steve) Mazzagatti stopped the fight."

The win was Varner's fourth in a row. "The Worm" has lost just once in his most recent 15 official bouts.

Varner believes there are a few immediate obstacles for him to overcome. Once past them, he feels the responsibility will shift to the WEC to find him suitable challengers.

"I'd like to fight Richard Crunkilton, Donald Cerrone or 'Razor' Rob (McCullough) again," Varner said. "I think any of those three would be worthy opponents -- or even all three of them. I'm looking at those three.

"And if I win all three of those fights, I pretty much cleaned out my division. And then the WEC is going to have to find some new talent."

McCullough, who Varner defeated for the title in February, and Cerrone, an undefeated prospect, will meet in September at WEC 36 in Hollywood, Fla., Varner believes the winner of that bout will more than likely be tagged as his next foe.

"I haven't heard anything about my next fight," Varner said. "I just kind of assume that it's going to be the winner of 'Razor' Rob and Cerrone, the 'Cowboy.' Next Monday I'm going to start training for a right-handed kickboxer. Hopefully I'll end up with one of those guys."

Should Varner be able to register his fifth consecutive victory, the Arizona Combat Sports fighter trusts the WEC will continue to seek out the best available opponents.

"I think I should be fighting top-five guys," Varner said. "I trust that the WEC will be bringing me that kind of talent and that kind of competition.

"I'm 23 years old. I'm in no hurry. But my goal is to be the best fighter in the world, and I trust that the WEC will get me there."

Jul 24, 2005
TITO ORTIZ STILL A FREE AGENT

by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

The drama surrounding the next home for embattled light heavyweight superstar Tito Ortiz continues to unfold as Affliction has still not signed the fighter, according to company COO Michael Cohen, who spoke to MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday.

While reports have varied, Ortiz was under a “no compete” clause from his last contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. According to Affliction vice president Tom Atencio, that lockout ended this week, but Cohen is still unsure if Ortiz is even free to negotiate at this point.

“Donald Trump, myself and Tito engaged in a conversation,” said Cohen about the potential deal with Ortiz. “There was nothing substantive that was discussed other than that we are interested in sitting down with him, which we are planning on doing in the very near future, to discuss with him the opportunity to join the family of Affliction fighters.”

On Tuesday in an interview with SportsIllustrated.com, Ortiz was quoted as saying that his next deal would be “ground breaking,” but no specific organization has yet to sign this proposed deal.

The rumor mill has been circling since Ortiz’s last fight in the UFC, a loss to Lyoto Machida, as to where the former champion would end up next.

Companies from Affliction to EliteXC to the American Fight League have all expressed interest in signing Ortiz, but as of Wednesday he is still a free agent.

Calls to Ortiz for comment were not immediately returned

Jul 24, 2005
Win or lose, Fitch won't be the same after fighting St. Pierre

By Todd Martin

At UFC 87, Jon Fitch is going to lose. No, that doesn't mean the result of his UFC welterweight title shot against Georges St. Pierre is a foregone conclusion. Fitch is a formidable challenger. What it does mean is that Fitch is going to be losing one of his two defining characteristics -- momentum or anonymity.

No fighter in UFC history has amassed as many UFC wins as Jon Fitch without losing. His 8-0 record is part of a 15-fight winning streak he rides into his fight with St. Pierre.

Fitch hasn't been facing pushovers, either. The eight fighters who lost to him in the UFC otherwise are a collective 115-24-1. In a sport where every participant is vulnerable to the wrong-style matchup or a quick twist of fate, a streak that long is a remarkable accomplishment.

But Fitch is still an unknown commodity to most UFC fans. Most of his wins weren't televised. And the timing of his biggest wins was inopportune.

Fitch defeated Thiago Alves two years ago, immediately before Alves went shooting through the ranks with six consecutive wins (five by KO/TKO). Fitch's win over the highly regarded Diego Sanchez came after Sanchez's career low point, an uninspired loss to Josh Koscheck.

"I think because of the way I came up in the UFC, a lot of people didn't see my fights live," Fitch notes. "People develop an attachment to fighters that they see fight live. They haven't developed that kind of attachment or appreciation for me."

Saturday night, big changes await Jon Fitch. A win over St. Pierre and Fitch will no longer be a relatively unknown welterweight contender. A loss and Fitch's perfect UFC record and long undefeated streak will be things of the past.

St. Pierre is considered to be one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the sport. A tremendous athlete who excels in all aspects of the game, St. Pierre makes elite fighters look average. He also has had his greatest successes against fighters like Jon Fitch.

"Wrestlers are my favorite guys to fight," the French Canadian champion said. "I always do well against wrestlers."

St. Pierre dominated high level wrestlers like Matt Hughes, Frank Trigg and Koscheck. St. Pierre's victory over Koscheck was particularly notable, since Koscheck and Fitch are former collegiate wrestling stars who train together at the American Kickboxing Academy.

Fitch distinguishes his fight with St. Pierre from Koscheck's by noting their contrasting approaches.

"(Koscheck) is very stubborn," Fitch notes. "He didn't want to listen to anyone when we told him to practice wrestling. He had it in his head that nobody could take him down if he didn't want them to. I don't think he drilled a single takedown that entire training camp. It was basically all standup and even very little jiu jitsu. I haven't taken that approach for this fight. I always train everything."

Fitch won't be surprised if St. Pierre tries to outwrestle him, and he will be ready.

What Fitch will not necessarily be ready for is the pressure of a pay-per-view main event and five-round fight. St. Pierre is one of UFC's brightest stars, and he has fought in a series of high-profile matches. Fitch has faced tough opponents, but not on the same stages.

St. Pierre is not unaware of this advantage. "I have more experience in championship fights and bigger fights," he notes.

And while St. Pierre is experienced in five-round fights, he will be looking to finish the fight early.

"I'm going to fight to win; I'm not going to fight not to lose," St. Pierre says. "When you fight not to lose you don't take chances. When you fight to win you take chances. It's like your mind is free. That's how I'm going to fight."

Fitch will need to overcome St. Pierre's confidence and skill to win the UFC welterweight title. It's a career defining fight, and Fitch will leave the Octagon in a different place than he entered

Jul 24, 2005
Movie based on Lee Murray

http://thebiglead.com/?p=7021

Couple days old, from Variety:

The company has identified its first project, optioning the April 14 Sports Illustrated article “Breaking the Bank.” Written by L. Jon Wertheim, the feature covers the alleged criminal exploits of Ultimate Fighting Championship competitor “Lightning” Lee Murray, who is suspected of masterminding the largest cash heist in history in 2006.

Apparently, it was a tremendous read. Somewhere, Rick Reilly just got on the horn to his lawyer, because once upon a time, R-squared wrote more than a few tearjerkers for the backpage. Richard Deitsch is probably asking, “what about that story I wrote about a blogger?”

Time Inc. to produce in-house films (Variety

Feb 7, 2006
LARSON WANTS REMATCH WITH CONDIT NEXT

At this past weekend’s WEC event, Minnesota native Brock Larson made his case for getting a rematch with current promotion 170-pound champion Carlos Condit by scoring an impressive win.

In what was supposed to be a tough test against highly regarded Carlo Prater, Larson came out aggressively and put Prater down and out for the count in just 30 seconds.

“It went better than I assumed it would,” he admitted. “I thought it would be a little tougher than that.

“Prater’s the real deal, it just worked out that I caught him with the first shot that I threw and I followed up with many more.”

To be sure, it was the kind of win that Larson needed, especially after his last fight – against John Alessio in March – ended in controversy.

“That was my goal; to go out there and do it quick and make everyone open their eyes again and let them know that I’m back and that the last two fights were kind of flukes,” he said.

“I’m the real deal and I’m ready for Condit.”

According to Larson, the rematch of his title fight with Condit from August of last year appears to be what’s on the horizon next, as long as a deal can be worked out between everyone involved.

“I’m ready for it, so it’s just a matter of getting (Condit) to agree, but (the WEC) definitely wants it to happen,” he commented. “It’s up to Condit’s camp to figure out what it wants.”

Normally Larson would look to stay active, but he explains that he’s not willing to put his title shot on the line should it take longer for a fight with Condit to get worked out and scheduled.

“I’d like to fight as often as possible, but the way it’s looking, this is the fight I want to wait for,” he said. “I don’t want to risk anything like I did before fighting Condit the first time.

“I was supposed to fight him when I fought Kevin Knabjan two months before, and I think I peaked too early for that. It’s hard to peak twice in two months, so if it comes out that way, that’s the way I’m going to have to take it.”

When the rematch does take place, Larson feels that it will be a much different fight the second time around.

“My confidence level is as high as it can be,” he exclaimed. “I’ve always been really confident in my ground game, but now with my hands I’ve been doing a lot of sparring, and I’m confident everywhere now.

“I don’t feel like I have a huge hole anywhere. It’s going to take a pretty tough dude to bury me. I think that right now I’m doing the best that I’ve ever done and I’m ready for it.”

With a three-fight winning streak in tow and only two losses in 26 fights, it would be hard to imagine anyone in the WEC other than Brock Larson getting a title shot against Carlos Condit any time soon.

“I want to thank Warrior Wear and Bowtech for taking care of me,” he closed out. “Everybody out there, fans of mine, I appreciate the support.

“Keep watching and you’re going to see more explosiveness from me and that belt around my waist.”

Feb 7, 2006
Sidney Silva thanks Wand for support

Four days after having submitted Hideto Kondo at Icon, in Honolulu, Hawaii, Sidney Silva (HMC), who made the Japanese fighter tap at 3:40 min of round one, spoke with GRACIEMAG.com about his preparations for the fight.

In his corner, another Silva, like him, Wanderlei Silva, Sidney's friend, as well as physical conditioning coach Alejarra.

"Wanderlei's a hero. The guy's too cool. Until a little while before going to Las Vegas to train at Couture, I'd never imagened one day he'd be in my corner. Alejarra, who's as good as it gets in physical training, helped a lot in my getting through the ordeal I went through at the weigh-ins. When I weighed in, I made weight and started rehydrating. That's when the organization told me I needed to weigh in again. Wanderlei helped me with the technical and tactical part, we did a lot of position simulations of situations in the fight. And he always talked to me, giving me a lot of confidence and positive energy. Truth is, just the fact they were there with me helped me a lot. It was a great honor. Both he and Alejarra helped me a lot on the psychological and technical side," said Sidney.

At the exact moment of finishing, Sidney said that as his boxing is not up to speed, he tried to keep the distance from Hideto with kicks, as he feels more sure of his muay thai.

"After kicking the guy's legs about 20 times, some knees and a bit of boxing, I think my adversary felt that standing there was no way and changed strategy. Hideto tried to take me down, so I sprawled and landed sideways with him on all fours. At that moment I applied a crucifix, which is a position I like doing a lot by grabbing the other arm. I punched him some for him to move and give up the ideal position. He tried to spin and I grabbed his arm in an inverted armbar. Despite Sakurai [Hideto's coach] saying in an interview his student didn't tap, he tapped. I felt his arm pop a lot," said Sidney.

Now, after the win, Sidney told of how his next step would be to focus on the No-Gi Worlds. To him, Jiu-Jitsu is the base for everything. According to the fighter, his next fight should be in California or in Hawaii once again.

Feb 7, 2006
STEVE CANTWELL RECOUNTS WEC 35 TITLE WIN

When Steve Cantwell and Brian Stann first met in World Extreme Cagefighting at WEC 26, Stann finished Cantwell by TKO in just 41 seconds. At WEC 35, Cantwell returned the favor by finishing the former WEC light heavyweight titleholder by TKO at 4:01 of the first round.

It was Stann's first title defense and Cantwell's opportunity to avenge the previous loss and win the WEC light heavyweight belt that Stann obtained by knocking out Doug Marshall at WEC 33.

"He did exactly what I thought he'd do," the newly crowned champ told MMAWeekly.com. "It was exactly what I expected. The only problem was it was my first title fight and my nerves kind of got the best of me a little bit."

The fight played out with Cantwell picking Stann apart standing, while Stann tried to set up the right hand that's become his signature. Cantwell's diversity of strikes proved too much for the former champion. "No disrespect to Stann, but he does need to mix it up a little bit more," said Cantwell.

Stann's ability to absorb strikes and continue stood out to Cantwell, who commented, "I was surprised at how much punishment that guy took. (Expletive) Jarhead. No disrespect. But damn that guy's head was hard. My hands are killing me.

“I kept hitting him with everything that I had and he wasn't going down. I was starting to get a little concerned. I thought I was going to have to bite him or something...The guy can take an ass whoopin, that's for sure. He's a tough guy."

With each holding a one-sided win over the other, Cantwell isn't ruling out a rubber match with Stann in the future. "I would love to fight him again. Definitely," stated Cantwell. "The guy definitely brought the best out of me. He motivated me in my last couple of fights. I train hard. I always had him in the back of my head."

Feb 7, 2006
HERRING READY TO SEE IF LESNAR IS FOR REAL

Facing top competition is nothing new for Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight Heath Herring; he’s been doing it his entire career. But in his next match-up, he faces possibly the most hyped and talked about 1-1 fighter the sport has ever known.

Coming off of a March win over Cheick Kongo at UFC 82, Herring jumped at the opportunity to face former WWE superstar Brock Lesnar in a showdown that could help push the Texas native into true superstardom in the sport of MMA.

While Herring may not have quite the notoriety that Lesnar does coming into the fight, what he does have is a career’s worth of experience and that could make all the difference in the fight.

“You’ve got to remember this guy has never even been out of the first round,” said Herring. “If the fight does go on and he gets into deep water, who knows how he’s going to react when he gets tired, when his hands start dropping.

“He’s never even really been hit in a fight before. I’ve dropped somebody in every one of my fights, so we’ll see how he reacts when he gets caught with a couple of shots.”

It seems obvious to most observers going into this match-up that Lesnar, a former NCAA heavyweight wrestling champion, will want to get Herring to the ground, but that’s not anything new for him either.

“I feel really good about (fighting) wrestlers,” Herring stated. “I’ve fought some of the best on the planet. (Mark) Kerr, Tom Erikson when everybody thought he was unbeatable, so I’m not really looking at anything in Lesnar’s skill set, isn’t really anything I haven’t seen before.”

The former Pride standout will of course have his own advantages in the fight beyond his experience. Herring will look to use his length and reach advantage to give Lesnar problems on the feet, which could negate the Minnesota native’s wrestling all together.

“Reach advantage plus those nice head kicks,” Herring said about his advantages in the fight. “Those slow everybody down.”

Herring will hope to slow down Lesnar in dramatic fashion this weekend at UFC 87 in Minnesota.

Feb 7, 2006
Mythbuster Fitch Says GSP No 'God'

As great as reigning UFC welterweight champion Georges "Rush" St. Pierre (Pictures) is -- and really, all but a smattering of the sport’s most casual fans know that the MMA superstar is widely considered one of the very best pound-for-pound fighters on terra firma -- at the end of the day, he’s merely a man, not some mythological god.

And men, as opposed to gods, can be bested in battle.

At least that’s how Sherdog top-ranked welterweight challenger Jon Fitch (Pictures), who is facing St. Pierre Saturday in a five-round title bout at UFC 87 in Minneapolis, is mentally approaching the most important fight of his career. Fitch, 30, is a huge underdog, given all but no chance by oddsmakers and most fans.

Such talk doesn’t faze Fitch -- at least outwardly -- but does prompt him to suggest that those aforementioned fans need a serious reality-check when it comes to their lofty perceptions of St. Pierre (16-2-0).

“Everybody has weaknesses,” said Fitch (17-2-0, 1 NC) from his training camp at American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif. “Nobody’s perfect. Fans have this thing of building mythical gods out of men. So maybe they don’t see a lot of the mistakes that are being made. I’m not going to say what those mistakes are. I’m just hoping to expose them.”

Fitch contended that none of the stress factors that might produce cracks in the mental foundations of other fighters -- his first-ever title shot, fighting the immensely popular, high-profile, top-ranked welterweight in the world, one considered one of the most naturally gifted athletes in the game, even keeping his 15-fight win streak (eight straight in the UFC) alive -- put any additional pressure on him.

“I have a simple task ahead of me and that’s all I’m focusing on and that’s all I care about. All the other stuff just accumulates over time on its own. There’s no need to worry about it or think about it or even have a conscious thought about it,” Fitch said.

To the contrary, he said, to be fighting an opponent as storied as St. Pierre -- once famously hailed by UFC President Dana White as “the future of MMA” -- is a great motivator.

“He’s not just another opponent, but there’s no pressure,” said Fitch, who, while a hugely talented, widely respected fighter who has more than earned his shot at the belt St. Pierre holds, simply goes about his business in a more low-key manner than the French Canadian MMA supernova does. “There’s excitement. Because I thrive to fight the best guys out there. That’s all I want to do. That’s all I’ve ever wanted to do. So I don’t see it as pressure. I see it as a great opportunity and I’m excited for it.”

One of Fitch’s main men, coach “Crazy” Bob Cook, American Kickboxing Academy’s head MMA trainer, agreed.

“Well, you know, he’s been the underdog throughout the beginning of his UFC career and kinda looks forward to that again,” Cook said. “And is actually, probably a little hungrier than he’s been in his last couple of fights. So it’s actually a positive. He’s looking forward to the opportunity to test himself.”

But AKA owner and head trainer Javier “Thunder” Mendez said that Fitch is absolutely feeling the pressure.

“No, there’s pressure,” said Mendez, a former two-time world champion kickboxer. “Definitely. I mean, you know it’s just natural to have that pressure. If I said no, then you’d know that he’s not really ready for this fight. He’s fighting GSP, who basically most people aren’t giving him much of a chance to do anything (against). But you know, that’s the fans speaking. Not the experts. The experts are prepared to make this fight a little closer than the fans are.”

Besides Cook, Fitch’s other main trainer for the fight is, as usual, AKA mainstay Dave Camarillo, who just last month awarded Fitch his black belt in Guerilla jiu-jitsu, a system Camarillo founded that culls elements of Brazilian jiu-jitsu and judo and gears them toward mixed martial arts. Fitch also has a boxing coach who, for public consumption, only wants to be known as the mysterious Huitzilan (“He doesn’t want his real name out there,” Mendez said with a shrug). Also helping Fitch train are Mendez (“I’m the fourth guy down on the list,” he said, downplaying his role. “I help him on the pads. I hold a couple times a week for him.”) and AKA kickboxing instructor Derek Yuen, a former IKF national champion.

Fitch said he’s been training about five hours a day, Mondays through Fridays, with Saturdays a lighter day and Sundays off.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are sparring days highlighted by five, five-minute rounds, followed by several rounds of grappling, followed by, in the evenings, cardio work with Cook. Tuesdays and Thursdays are more technical days with muay Thai and boxing drills, followed by heavy grappling and more cardio work on his own.

Mendez said all of Fitch’s trainers are “very happy, very pleased” with Fitch’s training ethic for the St. Pierre fight.

“I would say Jon’s training is going the best so far since he’s been here,” Mendez said. “For this one in particular, he’s better prepared for this fight than for any other fight previous.

“The more time invested in the game has improved him tremendously. And the fact that it’s a five-round fight has also improved him mentally. He’s a gamer. He’s always up for the challenge. He knows exactly what he needs to do and he knows how to go about applying himself mentally and physically to get that job done. Every single one of us is very pleased with his progress. Very pleased.”

Fitch said the only aspect of his training that is different for this fight is preparing for his first-ever five-rounder, though he noted he fought in multi-fight tournaments earlier in his career.

“So there’s a lot of additional training that goes along with a five-round fight,” Fitch said. “That’s the only thing that’s changed much. But yeah, your cardio training almost has to double in order to train for a five-round fight properly. So we’ve definitely picked up the pace there. It was a struggle the first couple weeks of camp, but like right now, yesterday, I sparred five rounds with four different guys and I’m the one wearing them out.

“There’s also a little bit more focus going back to wrestling again, because GSP is probably the best wrestler that I’ve faced in a while. But other than that, my training is pretty much the same. I have a good system that I train with that I’ve had a lot of success with.”

As for his fight night game plan, Fitch is understandably loath to say too much.

“All I can say is that it’s gonna be a fast-paced fight and try not to have any space and just be in his face,” Fitch said. “Not let him dictate the fight with his athleticism.”

Cook noted with some intrigue, “You know, his (St. Pierre’s) last several fights, he’s only been looking to take the fight to the ground. It will be interesting to see whether he’s looking to stand or take it to the ground again.

“Jon’s preparing to fight him everywhere. Jon’s a good wrestler. He just got his Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. And he’s been working hard on his jiu-jitsu. So it really doesn’t matter where the fight takes place. He’s prepared to fight him everywhere.”

Mendez concurred, indicating Fitch really can’t look at last year’s St. Pierre/Matt Serra fight at UFC 69, one in which long-shot underdog Serra stopped St. Pierre to become the UFC welterweight champion, as a blueprint for his fight with the French Canadian. St. Pierre returned the favor in the April rematch at UFC 83, stopping Serra and reclaiming his belt.

“Let’s face it, GSP is good in every area,” Mendez said, “so our game plan is to be able to match every area where we need to. You know, there’s really no particular weakness that guy has. You can’t say he’s got a weak chin just cause Serra happened to catch him, right? Anybody on the right spot, they’re going down. GSP is no joke. And if anybody thinks he’s got a weak jaw, they’ve got something else coming, cause it’s yet to be proved he’s got a weak jaw. He just got caught by a guy who’s a really powerful guy. So I don’t buy into that. Forget it, dude. Lightning striking twice? No.

“We have to fight this fight based on the fact that we’re fighting a guy that has skills in every aspect of the game. And we have to be able to adjust to everything he does and let’s see if he can adjust to us.”

While Fitch passed on a prediction, Mendez noted that Fitch wouldn’t have taken the fight if he didn’t think he could win it.

“100 percent,” Mendez said. “And you know what? Anybody who thinks we don’t have a chance at winning this fight or gives any kind of a fair chance of winning, then they don’t really understand Jon Fitch and they don’t really understand MMA and they haven’t been following Jon Fitch because Jon Fitch is 100 percent in this fight and definitely could turn this fight in his favor.”

And in the process, demonstrate to the MMA world that while without question a supremely talented fighter, in the final analysis, George St. Pierre is, like the rest of us, a mere mortal after all.

Jul 24, 2005
HDNet lets Texas court ruling speak for itself in Randy Couture case

by Steve Sievert on Aug 07, 2008 at 2:34 pm ET
As the contract dispute between Zuffa LLC and Randy Couture plays out in arbitration in Las Vegas, HDNet declined to weigh in on last week's ruling by a Texas court.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported Saturday, the Fifth District Court of Appeals in Dallas granted Zuffa's request for a stay against an HDNet motion seeking a summary judgment in the case.

HDNet signed Couture to a contract earlier this year and sought a ruling in a Texas court to clarify his contractual commitment to Zuffa. Couture resigned from the Zuffa-owned UFC on Oct. 11, 2007, citing -- among other issues -- his pay and a lack of respect from UFC executives.

When contacted this week by MMAjunkie.com to offer a statement on the court ruling, HDNet officials declined to provide a statement or comment on whether the company plans to appeal the decision to the Texas Supreme Court. The lack of response from HDNet is in sharp contrast to the chest-beating statement released this week by Zuffa on the UFC's official website, which called HDNet's claims in the case "flaccid."

The ruling by the Texas court had the effect of deferring the case to arbitration, which is stipulated in Couture's UFC contract, and means the HDnet versus Zuffa battle in the

Feb 7, 2006
Martin Kampmann vs. Nate Marquardt official for UFC 88

A bout that could have an immediate impact on the middleweight division's title picture has been officially announced by the UFC as contenders Martin Kampmann and Nate Marquardt will meet at next month's UFC 88 event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported last week that the two fighters had agreed to the fight and were in the process of signing bout agreements.

Overnight the UFC confirmed the bout, which takes place Sept. 6 at Atlanta's Phillips Arena.

The Kampmann-Marquardt bout rounds out the night's pay-per-view televised main card, which features a main event of Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans.

(A few recent reports incorrectly stated that the Kampmann-Marquardt fight would take place in October at UFC 89.)

Kampmann will go for his fifth straight victory in the UFC and his 10th win overall. Back in June the 26-year-old Xtreme Couture fighter returned from a 16-month layoff (due to a knee injury) and scored a first-round submission victory over Jorge Rivera. It was one of 15 stoppage victories in his 16 professional wins.

Marquardt, meanwhile, is coming off a bizarre UFC 85 loss to Thales Leites. After a defeat to current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and a subsequent submission victory over Jeremy Horn, Marquardt was hoping to reclaim top contender's status. Instead, he suffered two costly point deductions and ultimately suffered a split-decision loss to Leites. It was just his second loss in 10 fights and nearly five years.

The latest fight card for UFC 88 (which can be found in the UFC Rumors) section now includes:

MAIN CARD

Rashad Evans vs. Chuck Liddell
Rich Franklin vs. Matt Hamill
Martin Kampmann vs. Nate Marquardt
Karo Parisyan vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
Dan Henderson vs. Rousimar Palhares
PRELIMINARY CARD

Kurt Pellegrino vs. Thiago Tavares
Matt Brown vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Tim Boetsch vs. James Lee
Roan Carneiro vs. Ryo Chonan

Feb 7, 2006
WAMMA: Arlovski vs. Barnett winner guaranteed title fight with Emelianenko

The winner of the Oct. 11 "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" main event between Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett will, in fact, earn a title shot with WAMMA heavyweight title-holder Fedor Emelianenko later this year.

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio hinted at the possibility ever since Barnett replaced Emelianenko at the upcoming event, and the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts today issued a press release confirming that the Arlovski vs. Barnett bout will be a "WAMMA Elimination fight."

Arlovski is currently WAMMA's No. 3-ranked heavyweight. Barnett is ranked No. 4.

"Day of Reckoning" takes place at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Three preliminary fights air on HDNet before the broadcast heads to pay per view for a seven-fight main card.

"We couldn't be more excited to see Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett face off for the right to take on Fedor for the WAMMA world heavyweight championship," WAMMA CEO Dave Szady stated in today's press release. "In the spirit of crowning undisputed champions, we couldn't be happier than to have two of the fighters who arguably deserve a shot at Fedor fighting it out for the chance to take on the champ."

The press releases stated, "The winner will earn the right to face ... Emelianenko in his first title defense later this year."

That fight would presumably take place under the Affliction banner, though the organization has yet to announce any details for a third show.

Affliction held its debut show on July 19. Emelianenko quickly disposed of Tim Sylvia, Arlovski earned a third-round TKO over a resilient Ben Rothwell, and Josh Barnett scored an early second-round knockout of Pedro Rizzo.

Emelianenko had been paired with Arlovski for the Oct. 11 event, but the famed Russian fighter and longtime PRIDE heavyweight champion had to pull out of the event with a rumored hand injury. Affliction then replaced Emelianenko with Barnett.

WAMMA formed in November of last year as MMA's first (self-proclaimed) sanctioning body with goals that include creating greater visibility for the sport and recognizing world champions in each weight class. The organization's first order of business was assembling a group of journalists and broadcasters to rank the best of the best in MMA. (In the interest of full disclosure, three MMAjunkie.com staffers are members of the rankings committee.)

Many fight promotions have joined forces with WAMMA -- except the most important one. The UFC (and it sister promotion, the WEC) have shown virtually no interest in working with the organization.

Without cooperation from the UFC and WEC -- organizations that have a stronghold on the majority of the world’s top fighters -- WAMMA will obvious problems issuing belts to additional weight classes. So far, WAMMA's efforts have been directed only to the heavyweight divsion, one in which Affliction has half of the world's top-10 fighters.

Feb 7, 2006
Alessio Sakara vs. Joe Vedepo likely for UFC Fight Night 15

Another Midwest-based fighter could make his UFC debut when the organization heads to Omaha next month.

A source close to UFC newcomer Joe Vedepo (7-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the middleweight fighter has verbally agreed to meet Alessio Sakara (12-7 MMA, 3-4 UFC) at next month's UFC Fight Night 15 event.

The bout has not been signed, but bout agreements should be distributed shortly, the source said.

UFC Fight Night 15 takes place Sept. 17 at the Omaha Civic Auditorium and airs on Spike TV. The event, co-headlined by Nate Diaz vs. Josh Neer and Mac Danzig vs. Clay Guida, precedes the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir."

Vedepo, a part of the Cedar Rapids-based Team Hardrive MMA, won the Midwest Cage Championship middleweight belt with a June victory over Brian Green (15-10). Both fighters entered the bout knowing that a major-league contract offer could be on the line. The bloody, back-and-forth main-event fight ultimately ended via a third-round verbal submission in favor of Vedepo.

The 25-year-old former light heavyweight and stand-out high school wrestler has never gone to decision; he's won four fights via knockout and three by submission.

Sakara, meanwhile, will look to push his UFC record to .500. He most recently suffered a loss to Chris Leben at UFC 82 in March. The hard-hitting Italian's other losses have come to Houston Alexander, Drew McFedries and Dean Lister; victories have come over James Lee and Victor Valimaki via knockout, and Elvis Sinosic via unanimous decision.

The American Top Team fighter has lost four of his past six fights.

Feb 7, 2006
BJ PENN ON FUTURE, PLANS FOR DEC 27 SHOWDOWN

In an exclusive video interview with MMAWeekly.com at last weekend’s International Mixed Martial Arts Expo, Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight champion B.J. Penn spoke about his future plans.

In a meeting with UFC president Dana White last week, Penn extended his UFC contract for “a couple more years,” and said a Dec. 27 return to the Octagon is imminent.

Penn returned to the gym recently after a two-month layoff. After realizing a gap between his talents and ambition, Penn poured himself into training over the last year and a half, delivering stellar performances against Jens Pulver, Joe Stevenson, and Sean Sherk in the process. Now the undisputed champion, Penn needed to take a break before his intensity compromised his health.

“It came to the point where it was like, if you don’t do this it’s going to hurt you really bad down the road,” he said.

Healed up from nagging injuries, Penn is again eyeing the welterweight and lightweight divisions for December. Two benchmark fights happen at this weekend’s UFC 87 event in Minnesota: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch and Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta. The result of those contests could very well determine Penn’s next two opponents. He made it clear that his preference is for the 170-pound division, which means that he is watching the main event of UFC 87 very closely.

“Without a doubt. Jon Fitch is a great opponent, a tough opponent, but St. Pierre brings the whole backing of Canada with him to a fight,” said Penn. “It would be great to put on a big fight with me and St. Pierre, but then again, it’s about me fighting the best fighter and if Fitch goes down and proves he’s the best fighter, then he’s the man.”

videolink: http://videos.mmaweekly.com/view_player.php?id=2689

Feb 7, 2006
Irvin to address NSAC on painkiller allegations

Light heavyweight James Irvin (Pictures) plans to speak in person before Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding recent allegations of painkillers use. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled on Aug. 12 to review Irvin’s temporary suspension and schedule a disciplinary hearing where the Sacramento fighter will have the opportunity to address the five-member commission.

The Sacramento native allegedly tested positive for the non-approved analgesic painkillers Methadone and Oxymorphone, according to a post-fight urinalysis collected after his July 19 TKO loss to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (Pictures) in Las Vegas.

Irvin, 29, accepted the Silva bout only days after re-entering the gym following a six-week recovery period from a broken foot. Irvin met Silva in the Brazilian’s first fight at 205 pounds, a bout that headlined a live Spike TV event swiftly organized to counter-program a pay-per-view hosted by the rival Affliction promotion on the same night.

Irvin succumbed to Silva’s speed and pinpoint striking at 1:01 in the first round.

Mike Roberts, Irvin’s manager, said his client’s attorneys are currently preparing a written response to the allegations that will be submitted to the NSAC prior to the one-month deadline. Roberts would not elaborate if Irvin will refute or admit to the allegations of non-approved drug use.

“We will be making a public statement following the hearing,” said Roberts.

Feb 7, 2006
Jason Lambert vs Jason Day UFC 88 fight set

Jason Lambert (23-8) and Jason Day (17-7) will meet inside the Octagon at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Ga., on September 6.

MMAmania.com was able to independently confirm the booking, which was originally posted over at FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

“The Punisher” appears to be making the drop to middleweight after competing most of his career in the heavyweight and light heavyweight divisions. Perhaps back-to-back losses to 205-pounders Wilson Gouveia and Luis Arthur Cane, respectively, convinced Lambert to try his luck in the 185-pound division.

Lambert has three losses in his last five attempts within the eight-sided cage.

Day was victorious in his debut for the promotion against Alan Belcher at UFC 83: “Serra vs. St. Pierre 2″ in April, upending Alan Belcher via first round technical knockout. The Canadian product was then stopped himself in the same fashion less than two months later when he locked horns with Michael Bisping at UFC 85: “Bedlam.”