MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
BAS RUTTEN ON THE DEMISE OF THE IFL

In just a few short years the International Fight League went from ambitious concept to reality to demise.

At its best, the promotion helped reintroduce a group of veteran mixed martial arts pioneers to the new era of MMA fans, as well helped jumpstart the career of what would become some of the sport’s best young fighters.

One of the promotion’s first and most prominent figures was former King of Pancrase and Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight titleholder Bas “El Guapo” Rutten.

Starring initially as the head coach of the Los Angeles Anacondas, Rutten then transitioned to a commentator role and ultimately ended up as Vice President of Fighter Operations, and shined with the usual El Guapo flair in each position.

Still, all things come to an end. As such, Rutten has been released from his contract with the company, and now he looks to transition to other things.

Speaking from his adoptive hometown of Los Angeles, Rutten spoke to MMAWeekly about his time in the IFL, his roles in the promotion, and what’s coming down the pipeline for one of MMA’s premier personalities.

MMAWeekly: First off Bas, tell us about your recent release from the IFL.

Bas Rutten: Well, from what I understand, there is no more IFL, right? We’ve been sold, but there’s still some working going on. Exactly what, I have no clue, but the paychecks have stopped coming in. For me it’s stopped and for all the people I knew in the IFL it’s stopped.

I knew the company was struggling. I had gotten emails from people there that had been let go. “Thanks for the great time working together,” and stuff like that. There was a hardcore group left, and once they started getting rid of those people, I knew the end was near. I was aware it was going to happen.

MMAWeekly: Looking back, how do you feel about your time overall with the promotion?

Bas Rutten: I thought it was a great ride. I came to America to become an entertainer, to do something in the entertaining business; and I truly believe I had an opportunity to do this with the IFL. First coming in as a coach, then I went over to being a host of IFL Battleground with the beautiful Tiffany Fallon, and Kenny Rice and all those guys, it was a great experience.

That opened doors to more things like the Inside MMA show that I’m doing with Kenny Rice. For me, definitely, I was having a lot of fun. They never put me on any leash, so to say, so I could do what I wanted and they let me be Bas.

MMAWeekly: Okay, let’s talk about your individual roles with the IFL, starting with your time as the head coach of the L.A. Anacondas.

Bas Rutten: That was great, but the credit must also go to Shawn Tompkins. He was my first choice to be a coach on the Anacondas. I told him that he was not going to be an assistant coach, but together with me as a coach. I insisted that he be in the pictures with us, because he was doing the same work I was.

It was so great; we had such a tight group. We went fishing in Mexico, had barbecues, and went to movies together. We had a lot of fun with those guys, and it showed. When the fighting wasn’t that good, it was literally because we didn’t hang out as a group. It was a great experience, we got to help build them into stars, because that’s what they are right now, all of them.

MMAWeekly: From there you transitioned to being an announcer and IFL Battleground co-host. Tell us about that move.

Bas Rutten: It was hard to step away as a coach, but they (the Anacondas’ fighters) could understand it. I was going to know the inside-outs of the guys that they were fighting and it was a conflict of interest. There’s no way I was going to get away with it. I wouldn’t appreciate it as a coach, say if Pat Miletich knew everything about every person (on my team), every injury or whatever, it’s not right.

Also, even when I knew those things, I never went to those guys and said things like, “You should go for his nose, his nose is broke,” because I had some great insight, but I never used it, because I believe in karma. I think if you do that, it will all backfire on you.

There’s nothing bad I can say about it. Working with Stephen Quadros again was great. It wasn’t a big switch for me, because I had been doing my stuff in Japan with Pride Fighting Championships. So it was not a big change for me to be on camera.

MMAWeekly: Lastly, your time with the promotion ended as VP of Fighter Relations. What are your thoughts on that?

Bas Rutten: I’ve always been a guy that people have come to, to put them in contact with somebody. Someone will come up to me and be like, “Hey can you get me in contact with Renzo Gracie?” So I get them in contract with Renzo, or whoever they want. I’ve never screwed anybody over, and I’m not going to do it, and people/fighters know that of me.

They know that I’m there in the best interest of the fighters. So my name can open a lot of doors. I can call somebody and get them for anybody, because I’m really there for them, it’s not an act. If there was a problem with a certain guy or fighter, I’d pick up the phone and fix it. I was doing that pretty much already, behind doors closed doors so they say, but then I just started doing it in the open.

MMAWeekly: Now that your time with the IFL is over, what is it you have coming up next?

Bas Rutten: I’m so happy about this thing coming out called the B.A.S., the Body Action System. It’s a punching, kneeing and kick device that you can put up in your bedroom, gym, garage, anywhere you like. We train on it at our gym, actually. Kimbo (Slice) hits it and everybody’s done it. I cannot say too much about it, but you can hit it as hard as you can, it’s going to be good for your aim and it’s going to be very good stamina-wise. The whole infomercial is done and I saw the final product a week ago. I think a lot of guys are going to like this thing; it’s a really fun thing.

I love doing Inside MMA, and of course we have HDNet Fights, and they’re doing Dream events, so I’m right back in Japan like I was before. The last Dream was a great show, and the next one is looking like a crazy show. They’ve asked me for some pro wrestling, maybe I’ll do it. I’m working on a reality show right now. We’ve done some really funny stuff already that I think people will really like. Outside the house, how is El Guapo, and what goes on in his life?

MMAWeekly: What about coming back to the sport in some capacity with another promotion?

Bas Rutten: I’ve already been asked by some other organizations, so I’m going to have some meetings with them coming up. I have my family over from Holland, so I’ve put everything on hold right now. The only thing I’m doing is the Inside MMA show right now. My family will be gone (soon), so I’ll start taking meetings next week.

MMAWeekly: Thanks as always for your time, Bas. Is there anything you want to say in conclusion?

Bas Rutten: I don’t need to say look me up, the fans will find me. Trust me; I’m going to be right in your face. I’m hoping I’ll make the right decisions. I hope the reality show gets picked up, we’ve got some good companies looking at it, and they’ve really liked what they’ve seen. BasRutten.com, don’t forget that. CureForAutism.org, go there and do something with your tax money, that’s where you can donate it. They really need it. It’s a write-off, its great thing to do, so do something good with your money.

May 3, 2002
WEC-UFC Talent Merger in the Works?

Talk of a potential migration of the WEC’s 205- and 185-pound divisions to the UFC could be more than just rumors, and the answer might play out in the coming months.

For months, rumors have been circulating -– and, occasionally reported in MMA media outlets -– that the WEC may disband those two divisions and send some of the top fighters competing there to the UFC.

Reed Harris, WEC president, declined to confirm or deny the status of a potential reshuffling of the rosters when contacted Monday by Sherdog.com. Harris did confirm that the concept has been acknowledged as a possibility by UFC president Dana White, and matchmakers Joe Silva and Scott Adams of the UFC and WEC, respectively.

“We have had some discussions about our weight divisions, but nothing has been set or finalized,” Harris said. “We’ve heard the same rumors. We’ve had those discussions since day one. About what weight classes (might be involved), I really have no official statement. I know people are talking about it. I’ve had reporters call me and ask the same questions for eight months about it.”

Indications, both informal and on the record, have been enough to draw attention to hardcore industry watchers. At a UFC 83 Q&A session with fans in April, White addressed the question.

"We're going to make the WEC the smaller weights and the UFC will be the heavier weights,” White told The Canadian Press. “We'll probably take some of the guys in the higher weights, the champions over there and bring them into UFC. We're still trying to figure that out."

Possibly foreshadowing the imminent shift, the WEC’s Sept. 3 show will headline featherweight champ Urijah Faber (Pictures) in his sixth title defense against Mike Brown, while 185-pound boss Paulo Filho (Pictures) rematches Team Quest’s Chael Sonnen (Pictures) to put to rest a controversial March meeting in the co-main event that night.

For the WEC, the move could make sense. While the 135-, 145- and 155-pound divisions have viable depth in their ranks, outside of Filho and Sonnen, the middleweights lack a top 10 fighter, as does the light heavyweight division.
That would be great! I hope they have Carlos Condit and Diego Sanchez go at it right here in New Mexico!!

Feb 7, 2006
Juanito Ibarra "devastated" by Quinton Jackson arrest

Juanito Ibarra, a central figure as both trainer and mentor in the life of Quinton Jackson over the past three-plus years, is struggling to come to grips with the fighter's recent actions and subsequent arrest.

Ibarra told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Tuesday night that he has not spoken with Jackson since the former UFC light heavyweight champion was arrested by Costa Mesa police July 15, following an alleged hit-and-run accident and subsequent police chase on a California freeway.

"I'm devastated by what he's been through and some of the things I've heard," said Ibarra. "I've not sat down with Quinton to this day to discuss things. I pray for his well-being, and if I helped Quinton out a little bit with his growth in the sport, then I've been very blessed and honored to do that. I love this kid with all my heart, and I wish him nothing but the best."

Ibarra forged a bond with Jackson following the fighter's loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in April of 2005. The longtime boxing and MMA trainer saw the potential in the fellow born-again Christian, and sought an audience with the then-PRIDE Fighting favorite. A successful fighter-trainer partnership and friendship ensued, as Ibarra helped guide Jackson to six straight wins, including a victory over Chuck Liddell in May of last year that earned Jackson a UFC title.

Out of respect for his relationship with Jackson, Ibarra declined to discuss speculation about his status as Jackson's trainer until the two have had a chance to talk.

"I'm not going to get in to storytelling. ... It's not what I'm about," Ibarra told MMAjunkie.com. "I haven't sat down with Quinton Jackson, and I'm not going to hear things through sources and through people. This is a kid I've been with for almost four years. I have nothing but love and support for him. All I want for Quinton right now is what's best for him. Whatever he needs from me in any way, I'm here for him and always have been."

Ibarra has tried to stay focused on his work with Cheick Kongo as the Frenchman prepares for his fight Saturday at UFC 87. Kongo is set to face UFC newcomer Dan Evensen.

Jackson, meanwhile, could face additional charges in the case after a pregnant Huntington Beach woman, who was reportedly injured in the hit-and-run crash, suffered a miscarriage.

Feb 7, 2006
Omaha's Jason Brilz expected to compete at UFC Fight Night 15

Nebraska-based firefighter Jason Brilz (15-1-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), a veteran MMA fighter who's undefeated in his past 11 fights, has accepted a deal with the UFC and is expected to debut with UFC Fight Night 15, an event that takes place Sept. 17 in Omaha, Neb.

A source close to the fighter told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the deal overnight.

No opponent has been determined.

However, Brilz, who could fight at 205 or 185 pounds, may be matched up with Thales Leites. Two tentatively scheduled opponents for Leites, Dean Lister and Goran Reljic, reportedly pulled out of the Spike TV-televised event due to injuries.

Brilz, a 33-year-old who turned pro in 2000, has been in talks with the UFC previously, but with the UFC heading to Nebraska for the first time, he finally accepted a deal, the source said.

Although the decorated collegiate wrestler fought just once in the past 22 months, Brilz owns victories over notables such as Jason MacDonald, Alex Schoenauer, Michael Patt and Rob Wince. He also fought former UFC and EliteXC heavyweight contender Justin Eilers to a draw at a 2003 Victory Fighting Championships event.

Of his 15 professional victories, nine have come via submission and four via knockout.

Brilz, a state high school wrestling champion, has also spent the past nine years as an assistant coach for the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Brilz wrestled four years at the university, winning four letters and earning Academin All-American honors three times.

Feb 7, 2006
Pawel Nastula coming out of retirement at Sengoku 4

Pawel Nastula (1-3), a 1996 Judo Olympic gold medalist who announced his retirement after a loss and failed drug test at PRIDE 32, will return to competition to face Yang Dong Yi (2-0) at World Victory Road's upcoming event.

WVR today announced the Aug. 24 bout, which will be part of WVR's "Sengoku 4" event at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

It'll be Nastula's first MMA fight in nearly two years.

Nastula, 38, is one of the world's most accomplished Judokas, but he had a rough going in MMA, winning just one of four pro bouts (all in PRIDE). However, all of his losses came to stand-out fighters, including Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Aleksander Emelianenko and Josh Barnett. After the loss to Barnett, he tested positive for an anabolic steroid and banned stimulants and was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Yi, meanwhile, has posted TKO victories in both his pro MMA bouts, which took place in the DEEP organization. Neither fight went past the first round.

Sengoku 4 also features WVR's 2008 lightweight grand prix. Among the eight participants are Cage Force lightweight champ Mizuto Hirota, IFL lightweight title-holder Ryan Schultz, and former DEEP lightweight champ Kazunori Yokota.

The full card now includes:

REGULAR BOUTS

Takanori Gomi vs. Sung Hwan Pang
Makoto Takimoto vs. Frank Trigg
Peter Graham vs. Moise Rimbon
Pawel Nastula vs. Yang Dong Yi
LIGHTWEIGHT GRAND PRIX, FIRST ROUND

Clay French vs. Satoru Kitaoka
Rodrigo Damm vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
Bojan Kosednar vs. Kazunori Yokota
Mizuto Hirota vs. Ryan Schultz

Jul 24, 2005
In legalization fight, MMA has champ in corner

An admitted boxing purist might be helping to bring mixed martial arts competition to New York.

Although her first love is boxing, newly-appointed New York State Athletic Commission chairwoman Melvina Lathan supports sanctioning MMA in the state.

While Lathan, who was a boxing judge for nearly two decades, remains enamored with the old-school charm of boxing, she is open-minded to the emergence of mixed martial arts.

That's why Lathan's new post with the NYSAC could have positive implications for legalizing the sport in New York.

"I would hope that New York would keep an open mind," Lathan said. "There's room for two sports. I'm a boxing purist and I will always be, but I truly believe MMA is a sport all of its own. I think the more people are educated about it, the more they understand it and accept it."

Her interest in combat sports began as an adolescent in Philadelphia, where she'd frequently peek into the neighborhood boxing gym on her walk home from school. One cold, winter day Lathan had wiped the fog away from the gym's steaming window to peer inside, when a large man opened the door and invited her inside.

That man was Sonny Liston, although she didn't realize it at the time. All she knew was that these guys, working out in the gym, sparring, hitting the bags, made her feel strangely comfortable - and welcome. That day provided Lathan her first glimpse of what she describes as the large, extended family she would eventually become a part of through years of service to the boxing community.

Now she believes the community can be expanded.

During the last legislative session which ended in June, a bill proposing the sanctioning and regulation of mixed martial arts did not make it past the Assembly's Tourism, Arts, and Sports Development committee. The bill will not be revisited until the next legislative session in January.

Marc Ratner, UFC Vice President of Government and Regulatory Affairs, believes the next legislative session will be successful for the sanctioning of the sport. Having a commissioner who supports the cause, he said, could certainly help.

"I'm very bullish on the state of New York and I believe the legislature will approve this sport in early 2009. Once they do, she'll have everything right about it," said Ratner, who has known Lathan since his days as the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. "She'll be a wonderful asset to the sport."

Even those opposed to the sport's legalization believe the pro-MMA forces relish Lathan, whose role could grease the wheels in the process.

"When I read that there was a new commissioner, the thought of this being part of the strategy entered my mind," said Assemblyman Bob Reilly (D-Newtonville). "Do I have any proof of that? No."

Reilly, who has ample experience in athletics - he was a cross country coach at Siena College for 17 years - believes the promotion of MMA hurts the effort to eradicate violence throughout the community.

"You cannot subject children and other people to this type of violence and then tell them, no, other types of violence are not acceptable," Lathan said. "that's my greatest objection to it."

Reilly recently watched an MMA event on television and was appalled at the brutality. "If your very first introduction is looking at the screen and you see two guys on the ground pummeling each other it looks barbaric," Lathan said, "but if you look at the technique and what's going on, who's doing what, you have to have open mind to think like that. If you come into it with a closed mind, you can't appreciate the beauty of the art."

Lathan, remembers the first time, almost 10 years ago, when she became enraptured by MMA.

"I remember being on the edge of my seat watching Royce Gracie. He was like a ballerina on stage. He was so graceful, yet he had maneuvers. He was fast and he was smart. I remember watching that, being intrigued at how he could do all the things he did," Lathan said. "I was hooked once I saw that."

Despite the lengthy legislative process that legalization would surely require, and the accompanying regulatory steps that would be necessary, Lathan is ready for the fight ahead.

Jul 24, 2005
Varner’s detour a good move

Last year, Jamie Varner was given an option. He was asked by Zuffa management to give up on what had been his dream since high school, to be a UFC fighter. But in agreeing to do so, it led to what he called the happiest moment of his life.

Varner, 22 at the time, had just run through previously unbeaten Jason Gilliam in 1:34 on UFC 68 on March 3, 2007, in Columbus, Ohio. He was told with the loaded lightweight division in UFC, it could be a long road to title contention, since he had a loss to Hermes Franca in his UFC debut in 2006. But he was promised that if he made the move to World Extreme Cagefighting, he would need only one win to get a shot at the title.

After talking it over with his friends and sponsors, they decided to take a detour of sorts, although his long-term goal still remains to be considered the best lightweight in the world.

, the WEC was better for me,” Varner said. “Versus replays the fights two to four times a month, so it’s better exposure for my sponsors.”

After stopping Sherron Leggett in the first round, the deal was repaid with a title shot against former Muay Thai champion “Razor” Rob McCullough.

Varner (14-2) captured the WEC lightweight title Feb. 13 in Albuquerque in a match where he won both the standing and ground battle.

He finished off the noted kickboxer in the third round after scoring three knockdowns.

“That was the greatest moment of my life,” Varner said about strapping on the championship belt. “But nothing’s really changed. I got the belt, showed it to my family and friends, and they all got to take pictures with it. But then I put the belt in the closet. I’m acting like I don’t have it. I’m training like I’m fighting to get it.”

Varner noted that because Hicks’ fights have been so short, he hasn’t been easy to scout.

“He brings a lot to the table,” Varner said. “He’s a boxer with a good jiu-jitsu game. He’s strong and he’s beaten everyone down.

“My footwork will be the key, and I have to take him to the deep water (late rounds of the scheduled five-round title fight).”

The show is the organization’s first since the company’s breakout event June 1. Urijah Faber’s win over Jens Pulver took the promotion to a new stratosphere, drawing 12,682 fans in Sacramento and a 1.4 rating, which at the time was the second highest-rated MMA event of the year.

Since then, Versus and WEC agreed on a new deal for 2009 that will include eight live events instead of six, and there even is talk of a WEC video game.

Nothing close to that rating is expected here, but it was a positive sign that returning to the company’s usual home base in Las Vegas brought their quickest sellout to date. The small (1,000-seat) Joint sold out in late June, with Varner noting that even his friends weren’t able to get tickets.

Because Varner placed second at the 2003 junior college nationals and later was ranked in the Division I top 20 at Lockhaven University before a broken tailbone ended his college career prematurely, he’s thought of as primarily a wrestler. But he started boxing in fourth grade and picked it up full time at 17, the same time he started jiu-jitsu.

While wrestling in college, he was taking fights during the offseason.

“I used MMA to help with my training for wrestling,” he said, noting it kept him from burning out on straight wrestling training. “I’d do jiu-jitsu and kickboxing, and then I’d spend a few days a week on wrestling. It kept me training for wrestling, and then I’d take fights during the summer.”

Feb 7, 2006
Mayhem Miller On Jacare: ""He punches like a girl, he kicks like a girl."

Asking Jason if he’s looking to land a long term fight contract with a promotion:

“No. A long term deal is like being married. You can’t go around bangin’ other chicks.”

Asking Jason why he chose not to sign with The UFC when given the opportunity:

“At the time they offered me the deal, it wasn’t the workable deal, so I did my own thing. It can be scary for a fighter to do that because if you’re not with The UFC people look at you like you’ve got leprosy, but I’m not worried about it. I’m able to make money, and let’s face it, you’ve got to make as much money as you can because you can’t go around punching people in the face forever.”

Describing Miller’s greatest triumph in the ring:
”I once grabbed a ring card girl’s ass between rounds.”

On his recent loss to the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and if he measures up to his hype:

“He punches like a girl, he kicks like a girl. He’s good at jui jitsu…that’s it. I was stupid enough to grapple with him. That was my fault. I’m retarded. (But) I showed the world that he don’t know how to box”

Feb 7, 2006
Brock Lesnar Talks Kimbo, Frank Mir, Heath Herring And Much More

Brock Lesnar was good enough to take some time out of preparing for his fight with Heath Herring to sit down with our good friend Larry Pepe of ProMMARadio.com Lesnar opened up to Pepe and was very candid about a number of topics. Check out some of the following quotes:
Lesnar On Kimbo:

Kimbo is CBS and Elite XC’s marketing tool. The UFC promotes fighters and in return they become superstars. Kimbo showed his true self in his last fight. I don’t even know who he fought, that’s how popular it was.

Lesnar On His Fight With Frank Mir:

"I was winning the fight and made a foolish, amateur mistake. I pretty much dominated the whole fight until the finish.

Lesnar On Referee Steve Mazzagatti:

I never received a warning and I was told in the locker room that I would. It’s just an inconsistency in the reffing by that particular referee. Every fight I watch him ref there’s just a lot of inconsistency. I thought I won the fight when they stopped it. He was raising my hand and to this day I’ve never seen someone get their hand raised (unless they’ve won)."

Lesnar On His Upcoming Fight With Heath Herring:

"I don’t feel threatened by him at all. I really don’t. Supposedly he’s coming in heavier and in better condition, but we’ve all heard that before. He’s not a good wrestler at all."

Feb 7, 2006
Gilbert Yvel Signs with DREAM

Dutch MMA media is reporting that PRIDE veteran Gilbert “The Hurricane” Yvel (33-12-1) has signed with DREAM. The Amsterdam native has supposedly agreed to a three fight contract, which will most likely see him take on former Golden Glory team-mate Alistair Overeem (28-11-0) in the near future.

In Japan, the Dutch bad boy is regarded as an instant ratings booster, for both his explosive style, and bad behaviour within the ring. Yvel has been disqualified three times in the past, the first instant being due to a bite, the second an eye gouge, and the third to attacking and knocking out a referee.

Regardless, the heavyweight holds an 88% KO/TKO ratio and is regarded as one of the top strikers in MMA. Among strikers he has defeated are Cheick Kongo (11-4-1) and current K-1 world champion Semmy Schilt (25-14-1).

Yvel’s last outing was earlier this year, where he defeated Michael Kita (3-1-0) under the Dutch GFN banner.

Feb 7, 2006
Randy Couture's "Biography" debuts Wednesday

Reigning UFC heavyweight champion and MMA legend Randy Couture will be featured in an hour-long documentary on the Biography channel.

"Biography: Randy Couture" debuts tomorrow at 10 p.m. ET on the Biography Channel.

The TV series "Biography," which debuted in 1962 on CBS, re-launched in 1987 on the A&E Network and has featured some of the biggest names in entertainment, sports, politics, business and pop culture. New episodes of the hour-long episodes now air exclusively on the Biography Channel.

The biography covers Couture's earliest years to his most recent UFC title defense. From his high school wrestling days to his failed bid to make the Olympics to finding MMA, the documentary covers all aspects of his life. Additionally, numerous family members and industry insiders were interviewed for the piece.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) received an advance copy of the show earlier this year, and we can personally vouch that the documentary is fresh and offers details of Couture's life that have rarely been discussed. His father leaving him at an early age, why his mother threw him and his siblings into sports, the first time he saw MMA (with a familiar face in Don Frye), his legendary trilogy of fights with Chuck Liddell, meeting his new wife Kim, and his return to MMA to fight Tim Sylvia -- it's all included.

As the network says:

He's the five-time champ of America's fastest growing sport. His fights sell out arenas and millions of fans in 36 countries worldwide tune in to telecasts weekly and pay top dollar for exclusive pay-per-view events. He's Randy Couture: the Ultimate Fighting Champion. The simple title belies the near inhuman strength it has taken to kick, choke and claw his way to the top of professional fighting. From early days on his high school wrestling team to the Army and Olympics, this Washington native has built a career on years of training--perfecting his signature style referred to as the "ground and pound." Losses on and off the mat take their toll, but also drive Couture to cement his title as "the best fighter of all time."

However, there's a small notice we should give the hardcore fans. The UFC pulled all of its photos and fight footage -- and an interview with Dana White -- from the episode, so a lot of the "B-roll" is of IFL, EliteXC and Art of War events. To an astute fan, it's a bit of a distraction (especially when stock IFL footage is used while describing the early years of the UFC), but it doesn't completely sour the viewing experience.

Despite your thoughts on Couture in light of his latest legal battles with the UFC, his "Biography" is a worthwhile watch for just about any MMA fan. If nothing else, it should change opinions about MMA and expose some new audiences to the sport -- with one of its best-known ambassadors.

Feb 7, 2006
Horodecki Up for Grabs

It appears that a feeding frenzy has begun to circle around 20-year-old wunderkind Chris Horodecki (Pictures) now that he has officially become a free agent.

Jeff Clark (Pictures), one half of Horodecki’s North County Fight Club management team, says his client was released from his International Fight League contract last week at the fighter’s request, clearing a path for prospective promoters to voice their interest in the young striker.

Among the suitors for the baby-faced Horodecki (12-1) -- who piled up seven victories in the promotion before meeting a brick wall named Ryan Shultz in their rematch at the World Grand Prix finals in December 2007 -- the WEC, Affliction and the Kentucky-based American Fight League have all thrown proverbial hats in the ring.

“The AFL has come in with a very generous offer,” says Clark, “but Affliction has said they will match it or beat it.”

According to Clark, Affliction would like to book Horodecki in a lightweight bout for its Oct. 11 sophomore event at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, while the AFL’s next event will likely take place in November. An opponent has not been discussed for either event.

Horodecki’s release from the team-based IFL further dispels industry talk that the floundering promotion’s assets might be purchased by Zuffa LLC, owners of the UFC. Launched in 2006 with four teams that later expanded into 12 squads, the IFL held its last event on May 16 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., before publicly declaring financial difficulties. With no aid in sight and rumors of a sale to either Pro Elite or the UFC looming, the promotion disbanded its New York headquarters in July.

Horodecki, along with IFL champions Vladimir Matyushenko (Pictures), Jay Hieron (Pictures) and Schultz, was seen as a viable acquisition perk if his contract could have been transferred over to a new owner. However, that doesn’t look to be an option anymore.

Sherdog.com reported Monday that Matyushenko will likely have a rematch with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Pictures) at Affliction 2 on Oct. 11, while Schultz has been pegged to participate in Sengoku’s lightweight grand prix on Aug. 24 in Saitama, Japan.

A native of London, Ontario, Horodecki also eyed Japan for opportunities. NCFC management was contacted in June regarding a potential bout against former Pride lightweight champion and fellow slugger Takanori Gomi (Pictures) in Sengoku, though the matchup has yet to emerge.

“We liked that fight for him [Horodecki],” says Clark. “We’re continuing our discussions with World Victory Road.”

Feb 7, 2006
Loiseau Climbs Back Up Middleweight Mountain

One of the most popular fighters to ever come out of Canada, one-time UFC middleweight contender David Loiseau (Pictures) has spent the past two years fighting in several different organizations since being released from the Las Vegas promotion in 2006.

After a string of three Octagon victories in 2005, Loiseau (17-8) challenged then-champion Rich Franklin (Pictures) for his crown at UFC 58 “USA vs. Canada” in Las Vegas, but took a pummeling for five rounds. A subsequent loss to Mike Swick (Pictures) at UFC 63 in September 2006 signaled the end of Loiseau’s UFC welcome at the time.

Initially hurt by the rejection, Loiseau told Sherdog.com that he learned to get over it.

“At first I felt disrespected, but then I understood that it’s a business to them,” says the 28-year-old Montreal native. “Whether you’re the nicest guy or an asshole -- whoever wins stays, that’s the name of the game. This is how they run their business and I respect it, and the only person to blame is me because I didn’t fight to my potential and I lost.”

UFC matchmaker Joe Silva has told Loiseau that he would be welcomed back someday, but that he first needed to go out and get a few wins under his belt -- something Loiseau is eager to do. In June, he needed just 20 seconds to dispatch Andrew Buckland (Pictures) by knockout at Raw Combat “Resurrection,” and he’s getting ready to headline XMMA 5 on Sept. 13, a promotion of which he is a part owner.

Though Loiseau has fought for the likes of EliteXC and Calgary’s Hardcore Championship Fighting, his heart still lies with the UFC, he says.

“I have considered others, but the UFC is where it’s at,” he says. “I want to finish what I started -- I got cut short and they didn’t let me finish what I wanted to do. I changed my whole game and am such a better fighter than before. I think I would give any middleweight a headache. You’re going to love watching me even more when you see what I can do now.”

Loiseau has also kept busy helping his teammates get ready for their big fights. UFC champion Georges. St. Pierre will be defending his welterweight title against Jon Fitch (Pictures) this weekend at UFC 87 in Minneapolis, and Patrick Cote (Pictures) will try his hand at the UFC middleweight crown against Anderson Silva (Pictures) on Oct. 25 in Chicago.

Loiseau is very enthusiastic about Cote and his chances against the formidable Silva.

“This guy has been in the Army in Bosnia and has seen people die in front of him. He’s not scared of Anderson Silva (Pictures) -- he’s not scared of any man,” says Loiseau. “Cote is coldblooded, and that’s going to help him so much.”

Feb 7, 2006
Jacaré wants Dream’s belt

Waiting for the announcement of his next opponent, Ronaldo “Jacaré” Souza keeps training hard without caring about who he will face. “The expectations are the best, I’ll do my best as a person and fighter, all my heart and faith to be the champion”, said Jacaré to TATAME. After hearing about what Jason Miller said about him. “He’s a jackass with a mouth, and can say whatever he wants. He calls himself a jackass. He can say whatever he wants, he lost, and if he wants to fight again just need to ask”, answered Ronaldo, that said he’s working everything to win his first MMA belt. “I’m training everything, Wrestling, Jiu-Jitsu… I’m going to do MMA. I’ll bring this belt home”, guarantees the Xtreme Couture athlete.