MIT OpenCourseWare

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
MIT OpenCourseWare (MIT OCW) is an initiative of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to put all of the educational materials from its undergraduate- and graduate-level courses online, free and openly available to anyone, anywhere, by the end of the year 2007. MIT OpenCourseWare can be considered as a large-scale, web-based publication of MIT course materials. The project was announced in October 2002. This project is jointly funded by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and MIT. The initiative has encouraged a number of other institutions to make their course materials available as open educational resources.

As of November 2007, over 1800 courses were available online. While a few of these are limited to chronological reading lists and discussion topics, a majority provided homework problems and exams (often with solutions) and lecture notes. Some courses also include interactive web demonstrations in Java or Matlab, complete textbooks written by MIT professors, and streaming video lectures.
Link: MIT OpenCourseWare

Apr 25, 2002
I just looked at their political science page for the course on Russia/Soviet Union 1917-1991 and it seems on par with the courses I've taken on the Soviet Union. At MIT you have to write one more 5-7 page paper than I had to, but the readings and weekly questions as well as the paper topics seem almost identical.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
OCW is the dopest innovation in education in quite a long time, as it has often happened before with other things, other universities are following the example and making their own versions now

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I just looked at their political science page for the course on Russia/Soviet Union 1917-1991 and it seems on par with the courses I've taken on the Soviet Union. At MIT you have to write one more 5-7 page paper than I had to, but the readings and weekly questions as well as the paper topics seem almost identical.
you mean 17.57?

I was going to take it this spring, but, as usual, I have a conflict and I can't :(:(:(

Apr 25, 2002
Yup, the two I took were listed under history here. History of the Soviet Union and History of Soviet International Relations. I opted for not working very hard and settling for a B in each rather than putting in serious time and going for an A.

May 11, 2002
yeah I checked that out awhile back, its really cool, the only problem is to do the reading you have to buy the books. Not to mention they don't have any of Chomsky's classes on there. Otherwise its a great site, im glad MIT is doing this, other schools are suppose to be offering OCW in the future.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Feb 9, 2003
That doesn't make it any better...I thougth MIT was a school in the ranks as [schools such] as Yale, Stanford, Oxford and so forth...you would think a kid that got accepted to go to MIT would know how to use proper grammar.

*shrugs*
In retrospect I'm sure their one error doesn't seem as bad.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
That dont make it any better...i thougth MIT was a school in the ranks as such schools as Yale, Stanford, Oxford and so fourth...you think a kid that got accepted to go to MIT would know how to use proper grammar.

*shrugs*
Not necessarily, it's a science and enginnering school and it's the best in these areas, but writing is secondary for most people there. This is not a good thing, of course, but it's the reality

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
yeah I checked that out awhile back, its really cool, the only problem is to do the reading you have to buy the books. Not to mention they don't have any of Chomsky's classes on there. Otherwise its a great site, im glad MIT is doing this, other schools are suppose to be offering OCW in the future.
Chomsky does not teach courses anymore, other institute professors don't teach either or teach small ultra-advanced classes; when you're on that level you can afford having some priveleges :)