Mexican Authorities Capture Alleged Drug Kingpin Sergio Villarreal Barragan

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
MEXICO CITY (Sept. 12) - Mexican marines captured Sergio Villarreal Barragan, a presumed leader of the embattled Beltran Leyva cartel who appears on a list of the country's most-wanted fugitives, in a raid Sunday in the central state of Puebla, the government said.

The alleged capo known as "El Grande" did not put up any resistance when he was arrested along with two accomplices as they left a residence in Puebla city, according to government security spokesman Alejandro Poire. The raid involved 30 Navy marines, five vehicles and a helicopter.

"This is a new and resounding blow by the federal government against crime, given the high rank and dangerousness of this person inside one of the country's most extensive criminal organizations which has been deeply weakened," Poire said in a statement.

Villarreal's capture is the fourth major blow delivered to drug cartels by the government of President Felipe Calderon in the past year.

First came the death of Arturo Beltran Leyva, the top leader of Beltran Leyva cartel, in a raid outside Mexico City on Dec. 16, 2009. Then soldiers killed the Sinaloa cartel's No. 3 capo, Ignacio "Nacho" Coronel, on July 29. And on Aug. 30 federal police announced the capture of Edgar Valdez Villarreal, alias "La Barbie." The two men are not related.

Villarreal, "El Grande," appears on an Attorney General's Office list of Mexico's most-wanted drug traffickers, with a reward of just over $2 million offered for his capture. He faces at least seven investigations for alleged drug trafficking and organized crime, Poire said.

He is listed as one of the top remaining leaders of the Beltran Leyva cartel following the death of Arturo, who was known as the "Boss of Bosses," and the arrest of "La Barbie," a former Beltran Leyva hitman and operative.

Poire said the Beltran Leyvas "had constituted one of the groups with the largest presence in the country," conducting operations in 32 Mexican states, including the capital.

But troubles began when Alfredo Beltran Leyva was arrested in 2008. Then the death of his brother Arturo the following year splintered the cartel, launching a brutal war for control of the gang, involving mass executions and beheadings in once-peaceful parts of central Mexico. Carlos Beltran Leyva was arrested a few days after Arturo's death.

The fight for the remains of the cartel pitted Hector Beltran Leyva and Villarreal against a faction led by "La Barbie." Hector is the last Beltran Leyva brother at large.

The Beltran Leyva brothers once formed a part of the Sinaloa cartel, but broke away following a dispute. An indication of the problems they face is that three of the four main blows dealt to drug gangs in the past year involve Beltran Leyva leaders or operatives.

More than 28,000 people have been killed in Mexico since December 2006, when Calderon launched a military offensive against the cartels soon after taking office.

In the central state of Morelos, police discovered nine bodies in clandestine graves Saturday in the same area where four more were recently found. The Public Safety Department said in a statement that all 13 victims were believed to have been killed on the orders of "La Barbie" in his battle for control of the cartel.

On Sunday, the military announced that it filed charges against four troops for the Sept. 5 shooting deaths of a man and his 15-year-old son along the highway linking the northern city of Monterrey to Laredo, Texas.

Authorities have said soldiers opened fire on the family vehicle when it failed to stop at a checkpoint, though relatives who were also in the car say they were shot at after they passed a military convoy.

The mother and wife of the two victims was also wounded in the shooting.

A captain, a corporal and two infantrymen are in custody in military prison and have been charged with homicide, the Defense Department said in a statement.

Mexico's military was already under scrutiny for this year's killings of two brothers, ages 5 and 9, on a highway in Tamaulipas, a state bordering Nuevo Leon.

The National Human Rights Commission has accused soldiers of shooting the children and altering the scene to try to pin the deaths on drug cartel gunmen.

The army denies the allegations and says the boys were killed in the crossfire of a shootout between soldiers and suspected traffickers.

The scandal renewed demands from activists that civilian authorities, not the army, investigate human rights cases involving the military.

More recently, soldiers killed a U.S. citizen Aug. 22 outside the Pacific coast resort city of Acapulco.

In a statement to police, an army lieutenant claimed that Joseph Proctor, who had lived Mexico for several years, shot first at the military convoy on a highway between Acapulco and Zihuatanejo.

The Defense Department says it is investigating the claim, which Proctor's father, William Proctor, says he found hard to believe.

Aug 23, 2002
And someone has already took his place. The drug war will never be over. The rich get richer. Where there is demand the supply will never end.

Aug 23, 2002
fo real, just send in a few hundred US troops down there, they'll clean shit up in 3 months.
Thats a real touchy subject down there. They have said over and over again they will never let american troops come into the country. This is from http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news...g_news&cate_img=140.jpg&cate_rss=news_Opinion

The deployment of U.S. combat troops on Mexican soil could also have the look and feel of a foreign invasion. This would not be the first time the U.S. literally crossed the line. Between 1846 and 1848, the U.S. conquered a third of Mexico's territory. In 1914, the U.S. occupied the strategic port city of Veracruz. In 1917, as the modern Mexican Constitution was being drafted, U.S. troops crossed the border in a failed pursuit of Pancho Villa.

The Mexican people are therefore much more wary than the Colombians of any sort of military relationship with the U.S. This is particularly the case this year, as Mexico celebrates the bicentennial of its independence from Spain and the issue of sovereignty is in the forefront of public discussion.

Plan Colombia was highly problematic. More than US$4 billion of military aid and the construction of U.S. military bases did reduce the violence. Nevertheless, Colombian cocaine still flows freely into the U.S. market and is one of the most important sources of income for the Mexican cartels.

Dec 2, 2006
La Barbie been snitching........real shit..
I won't go that far, but interrogation tactics in Mexico are nothing like the U.S. They will put a ball between some pliers and give it a squeeze, don't say nothing, and POP, there goes your left testicle. Imagine that kind of pressure. You can be the realest, hardest motherfucker. That will make anyone soften up real quick.

Aug 5, 2009
I won't go that far, but interrogation tactics in Mexico are nothing like the U.S. They will put a ball between some pliers and give it a squeeze, don't say nothing, and POP, there goes your left testicle. Imagine that kind of pressure. You can be the realest, hardest motherfucker. That will make anyone soften up real quick.
i don't promote snitching or ratting or informing at all, if you do the crime, then do the time and if you know how feds(police) really get down when they catch you in your country and you still want to get money a certain way, then you've still got to keep your lips shut, you see what i'm saying

but your 100% right, from my understanding now, mexican police have a authentic reputation going back to decades to the security infrastruture of mexico being trained in the school of america's in the art of torture, torturing mudda fockers diffrently, i heard they don't play out there, plier's, electric shocks on your nuts and wood and shit, they ain't playing over there, crazy

Dec 2, 2006
i don't promote snitching or ratting or informing at all, if you do the crime, then do the time and if you know how feds(police) really get down when they catch you in your country and you still want to get money a certain way, then you've still got to keep your lips shut, you see what i'm saying

but your 100% right, from my understanding now, mexican police have a authentic reputation going back to decades to the security infrastruture of mexico being trained in the school of america's in the art of torture, torturing mudda fockers diffrently, i heard they don't play out there, plier's, electric shocks on your nuts and wood and shit, they ain't playing over there, crazy
In no way do I condone telling on someone. I am just saying pleading the 5th in the U.S. is one thing. Having your balls in a vice grip, literally, is a whole different story. But I know you get what I am saying.

Aug 5, 2009
In no way do I condone telling on someone. I am just saying pleading the 5th in the U.S. is one thing. Having your balls in a vice grip, literally, is a whole different story. But I know you get what I am saying.
no question, i wouldn't even jay walk in mexico, ha ha, but if i know feds get down wit some medieval type torture shit if i try to make money a certain way when they catch me then i'm not even gonna go down that certain avenue of making that bread if i'm gonna eventually end up in that situation, true story, feds banging(beating) me out or trying to ruff me up, choke holds i can take, that regular police brutality shit, that would be part and parcel of the line of work you choose to do if your gonna make money a certain way in certain country's, but if i know feds go the extra mile wit there shit, start torturing mudda fockers testicles wit electric shocks and shit, then i know thats not the line of work for me in that country real talk

but if i have to get that illegal money because i have no choice, then you best believe i'm gonna be on some when these punk police catch me they might as well kill me or i'm just gonna have to bite my lip or tell em made up bullshit about made up people that don't exist because i'm still not into fucking up other peoples shit because of my own predicament, thats just me and how i came up, my values, i can't help it and i'm not even a gangsta or anything like that, trust me on that, true story