Mets agree to Santana deal, pending extension agreement

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 10, 2007
The Mets have agreed to a trade with the Minnesota Twins to acquire Johan Santana for four prospects, pending the left-hander passing a physical and working out an extension with New York.

The Mets have been granted a 48- to 72-hour window to work out a new contract with Santana.

If New York can work out a contract agreement with Minnesota, the Mets will send outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey to the Twins.

The trade agreement was first reported by USA Today on its Web site.

"Right now, the Twins have no comment," the Twins' head of communications, Mike Herman, told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand. Mets vice president of media relations Jay Horwitz also had no comment.

Santana, who completely controls his fate because of the full no-trade clause he possesses, asked the Twins to make a decision, which is why Minnesota imposed a Tuesday deadline for offers from the interested teams.

The Red Sox also made offers, while the Yankees appeared to be out of the Santana talks altogether before the Twins accepted the Mets' offer.

The agent for Santana, Peter Greenberg, would not comment on whether he has been told the Mets have worked out a trade for his client, or about Santana's request for resolution.

It is not known if Santana, who turns 29 on March 13, explicitly informed the Twins that he would invoke his no-trade clause and then file for free agency after the 2008 season, but that has always been his right. It appears the Twins have taken his request seriously.

Among the three suitors for Santana, the Mets have the strongest need for a frontline starter, as well as the greatest willingness to pay him the enormous extension he will demand in order to waive his no-trade clause. It is expected that Santana's request will be for a deal in the range of six years for $150 million.

The Twins extended a four-year, $80 million offer to Santana, which he rejected this offseason. The offer was well beyond the $13.25 million he is scheduled to make in 2008.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3220894

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Good shit dogg u beat me to my thread about my boys!!! I was gonna make my own thread anyway but I didnt want to clog the board like some of these folks!! YES INDEED!!! Damn all my teams are about to make blockbuster deals!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Santana is by far he best pitcher in baseball! This is the shit!! Its on this year!! We will run the NL!!! Got Em!!

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
lol here we go again!! If u think Im jumpin on the Mets cause of this deal, then ask peeps on here like bam and other folks that been on here for a few years now and they will tell u, or simply go and look up old threads and u will see homie!! Yall kill me with that geographical shit!! Sorry pal!! Got Em!!

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
^^Yea well see about that!! The Tigers pitching is still suspect!! With this trade ours aint no more!! Got Em!!

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Are u a Mets fan scary?? If so yea boy its on!! I was about to say we gonna take the NL throne back form your Colorado boys but Im not sure who u are a fan of!! Got Em!!

Mar 16, 2005
Are u a Mets fan scary?? If so yea boy its on!! I was about to say we gonna take the NL throne back form your Colorado boys but Im not sure who u are a fan of!! Got Em!!
Been a Mets fan since I was 6...lol

Waaaaaaaaaay Before colorado had the Rockies. I go to all 3 games every year here sporting my mets jersey's hats and jackets.....get booed walking out most the time for talking shit too....lol But yeah going on 27 years of being a Mets fan....so I've been through the highs and Lows.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
^^Yea well see about that!! The Tigers pitching is still suspect!! With this trade ours aint no more!! Got Em!!
Pedro can't stay healthy, Maine is solid, Perez pitched well last year but can he repeat?, El Duke is not consistent, and Santana is Santana. Also, besides Wagner, they don't have too great of a bullpen. And as always, it will come down to staying healthy all season.

Tigers pitching, bullpen, and hitting shits all over the NY Mets, period. Got em!

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Pedro can't stay healthy, Maine is solid, Perez pitched well last year but can he repeat?, El Duke is not consistent, and Santana is Santana. Also, besides Wagner, they don't have too great of a bullpen. And as always, it will come down to staying healthy all season.

Tigers pitching, bullpen, and hitting shits all over the NY Mets, period. Got em!
Verlander is good and finally had a good year! Bonderman has been hyped forever and hasnt had a good season yet! Rogers is hella old and I dont think he has much left! Willis has been shitty for a few years now!! And Robertson.....do I need to say anything about him?? Our staff is much better trust me!! And yall closer is shitty so dont talk about closers cause we have one of the best closers! Not to mention a good setup man in Heilman and dont forget we get Sanchez back from injury! As for the hitting yall may be better ot whatever but yall do have a DH and the AL teams usually score more than the NL but we will have one of the best if not best offense in the NL!! Its along way before the series is set but well see whats up!! Got Em!!

And jlnotmacn shut the hell up!! U cant fuck with me on no sport fool!! I know what the fuck Im talkin bout scrub and stop bein a follower like most these folks and usin my qoutes about stickin to golf and shit like that as well as usin my classic BOMB trademark!! U my bitch or sumthin?? Hahah!! Trendsetter!!! Got Em!!

Yo scary good shit, we can aleast agree on this then. But i knew u liked your hometown teams so thats why I wasnt sure! So the Rockies didnt grow on u huh? Thats good that u didnt change teams cause your city got one! Thats a tru fan!! Got Em!!

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
Verlander is good and finally had a good year! Bonderman has been hyped forever and hasnt had a good season yet! Rogers is hella old and I dont think he has much left! Willis has been shitty for a few years now!! And Robertson.....do I need to say anything about him?? Our staff is much better trust me!! And yall closer is shitty so dont talk about closers cause we have one of the best closers! Not to mention a good setup man in Heilman and dont forget we get Sanchez back from injury! As for the hitting yall may be better ot whatever but yall do have a DH and the AL teams usually score more than the NL but we will have one of the best if not best offense in the NL!! Its along way before the series is set but well see whats up!! And jlnotmacn shut the hell up!! U cant fuck with m on no sport fool!! I know what the fuck Im talkin bout scrub and stop bein a follower like most these folks and usin my classic BOMB trademark!! Trendsetter!!! Got Em!!
I disagree with you, and I said that aside from Wagner, you don't have a good bullpen. Can you comprehend the credit I gave him with the sentence I used, or is that too much to ask from you? Tigers shit all over the Mets, and the line-up would still be better with or without a DH, so that's a stupid argument. Got em!

Mar 16, 2005
Verlander is good and finally had a good year! Bonderman has been hyped forever and hasnt had a good season yet! Rogers is hella old and I dont think he has much left! Willis has been shitty for a few years now!! And Robertson.....do I need to say anything about him?? Our staff is much better trust me!! And yall closer is shitty so dont talk about closers cause we have one of the best closers! Not to mention a good setup man in Heilman and dont forget we get Sanchez back from injury! As for the hitting yall may be better ot whatever but yall do have a DH and the AL teams usually score more than the NL but we will have one of the best if not best offense in the NL!! Its along way before the series is set but well see whats up!! Got Em!!

And jlnotmacn shut the hell up!! U cant fuck with me on no sport fool!! I know what the fuck Im talkin bout scrub and stop bein a follower like most these folks and usin my qoutes about stickin to golf and shit like that as well as usin my classic BOMB trademark!! U my bitch or sumthin?? Hahah!! Trendsetter!!! Got Em!!

Yo scary good shit, we can aleast agree on this then. But i knew u liked your hometown teams so thats why I wasnt sure! So the Rockies didnt grow on u huh? Thats good that u didnt change teams cause your city got one! Thats a tru fan!! Got Em!!

that's exactly it....everyone knew me as a mets fan so no need to change...I ALWAYS root for Rockies..EXCEPT when they play Mets. Can't change allegence because we finally got a team.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
lamberthoe are u an idiot?? Is that all u can comeback with? Why do u disagree? I speak facts on it and give reason why I say what I say! And yes I know u said Wagner was good, but I was pointing out yall closer is booboo!! Can u comprehend that or do I need to use simple terms?? And I didnt argue your offense fool! I said our offense is dope also and because our pitchin is better it will make up the difference if your offense ends up better! Regardless all of this is silly cause we aint in the same division or league for that matter so unless we both make the series it wnt matter homie! Just worry about the Indians, Yankees, Red Sox etc.. Then if yall make it through that, then holla at me!! Got Em!

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
lamberthoe are u an idiot?? Is that all u can comeback with? Why do u disagree? I speak facts on it and give reason why I say what I say! And yes I know u said Wagner was good, but I was pointing out yall closer is booboo!! Can u comprehend that or do I need to use simple terms?? And I didnt argue your offense fool! I said our offense is dope also and because our pitchin is better it will make up the difference if your offense ends up better! Regardless all of this is silly cause we aint in the same division or league for that matter so unless we both make the series it wnt matter homie! Just worry about the Indians, Yankees, Red Sox etc.. Then if yall make it through that, then holla at me!! Got Em!
I'm just arguing that the Tigers are a better team than the NY Mets, nothing more and nothing less. My evidence is that the Tigers have better hitting, a better bullpen and a better staff. There is no need to disrespect my intelligence since I haven't disrespected yours. And you can save the name calling for other little kids like yourself on here, because grown folks laugh at shit like that. Talking about comebacks and shit, like we're back in fuckin 3rd grade.

I'm just convinced that the Tigers are better than the Mets, and you disagree. Time will tell...

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Can you comprehend the credit I gave him with the sentence I used, or is that too much to ask from you?

Well isnt that disrespecting my intelligence?? Come on dogg dont dish it if u cant take it cause I do this allday and I wont lose! Now back to the topic! My topic was about a bomb deal my Mets made and u come in talkin about the Tigers which is irrelevant! Is that even your team? Just curious! 2ndly thats fine if u think the Tigers are better, I wont worry about them unless again we both are in the series so it dont matter! Also I dont agree that yall have better pitching or bullpen but well see!! If I had to predict I would say yall offense will be better but our pitching will be better period!! But time will tell like I said before!! Got Em!!

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
Well isnt that disrespecting my intelligence?? Come on dogg dont dish it if u cant take it cause I do this allday and I wont lose! Now back to the topic! My topic was about a bomb deal my Mets made and u come in talkin about the Tigers which is irrelevant! Is that even your team? Just curious! 2ndly thats fine if u think the Tigers are better, I wont worry about them unless again we both are in the series so it dont matter! Also I dont agree that yall have better pitching or bullpen but well see!! If I had to predict I would say yall offense will be better but our pitching will be better period!! But time will tell like I said before!! Got Em!!
I didn't mean to disrespect your intelligence by that, it was an honest question. You on the other hand, intended to disrespect me. And the only reason I came in here talkin about the Tigers is because you're acting like the Mets are untouchable, and I'm just giving an example of a better team.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
^^Ok man u dont get it so just leave it alone!! Ofcourse Ima disrespect u if I think u were disrespecting me so thats that! And when did I say the Mets were untouchable? U assume to much! This is one of the best trades Ive seen in a while so ofcourse Im stoked but I didnt guarantee a world series win did I? We have been on the brink and I do think this deal and barring major injuries, we should make the series but in the playoffs anything can happen and the best teams dont always go!! And nice example of a better team, to bad I dont agree so were at a stalemate! Got Em!!

Jan 18, 2006
For some reason i thought it was the Yankees that got Santana when i heard it earlier today on the radio, thank god its not. I gotta say the Mets are the team to beat in the NL now, they definitely need to make up for there monumental collapse.