Memphis Bleek in XXL about Get Low

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 6, 2004
paystyle.net
I'm ridin' wit The Bigga Figga.

I Like Bleek and I Love the Roc for how they did it but, I grew up listening to JT. I help my cuzzo sell the 1st GLP album on the streets before he did his thang. So, there should be no way some shit like that should be able to go down. I woundered if JT register Get Low and if so, did Bleek do his homework before he started yelling Get Low. As far as I can remember, I can't remeber him sayin' that on his 1st couple albums, but who knows. All I know is, I'm ridin' wit The Bigga Figga Nigga, Get Low 4 Life.

Apr 16, 2003
Bleek a bitch and he ain't dropped a hot song EVER !! Jay is his only fuckin fan . Kanye even bypassed him , Twista and everybody know Beans is hotter then Bleek, Beans gonna sell more from prison then that wack nigga.
JT done put in more work in the game then Bleek and his bitch ass is actin like JT some lil no-name and Bleek is the headliner.

He ain't did shit o his own label since they signed him, Even the hottest rapprs and producers can't save this bum.

fuck Bleek

Jun 12, 2003
Sure, I can believe that--A lot of East Coast fans, critics, etc. still tend to have the attitude that anything outside the East (or MTV, BET, the radio, etc.) doesn't exist. But there's folks on the West Coast, Midwest and in European countries that DO "give a shit" about JT and other undergrounders like him. Bleek should get his own shit instead of using a name that's taken...The East needs to stop taking a shit on everyone not from the East...

PEACE!.... thas real talk who evr wrote this lolz

Apr 25, 2002
i agree with sino for the most part..i just feel like memphis bleek is hella overrated..and the only reason hes on roc is cuz hes from marcy and jayz wouldnt be gettin love from his own hood had he not put bleek on....bleek delivery..personality..all fits the criteria of a big time artist..but dudes talent holds him down cuz he doesnt have much IMO

Apr 8, 2004
I used to love Memph Bleek. His first 2 albums were classics. Then he was gone too long and came back weak and I didn't fuck wit his lastest album. On this "Get Low" shit, he is arrogant and bogus as hell cause I think he knew JT been had that shit first. JT & the rest of Get Low should just keep ridin on Bleek punk ass. And for yall that don't know, Coo Coo Cal and A-G-2-A-KE is holdin the Mil down. Coo Coo ain't never flopped over here. He just lost his record deal wit Tommy Boy. He still got 4 dope albums out.

Feb 19, 2003
N.Ill-state said:
I used to love Memph Bleek. His first 2 albums were classics. Then he was gone too long and came back weak and I didn't fuck wit his lastest album. On this "Get Low" shit, he is arrogant and bogus as hell cause I think he knew JT been had that shit first. JT & the rest of Get Low should just keep ridin on Bleek punk ass. And for yall that don't know, Coo Coo Cal and A-G-2-A-KE is holdin the Mil down. Coo Coo ain't never flopped over here. He just lost his record deal wit Tommy Boy. He still got 4 dope albums out.
You mentioned A-G-2-A-KE! Goddamn, talk about a blast from the past! I was wondering what had happened to them! They had a very underrated CD on Rap-A-Lot (not to mention a few guest appearances on several Rap-A-Lot CDs), then they seemed to disappear! What are they up to nowadays?

PEACE!

Apr 8, 2004
sav-man said:
You mentioned A-G-2-A-KE! Goddamn, talk about a blast from the past! I was wondering what had happened to them! They had a very underrated CD on Rap-A-Lot (not to mention a few guest appearances on several Rap-A-Lot CDs), then they seemed to disappear! What are they up to nowadays?

PEACE!
In 1998 They had "Mil-Ticket" on Rap-A-Lot and in 2001 they had "Ball Street" on an independent Milwaukee label. "Ball Street" was even tighter than "Mil-Ticket" and Coo Coo was on there. Last I heard, G'Mone'(the lead rapper wit the deep voice), was suppose to put out a solo album.

May 21, 2004
The Bay Today: Bay Area Rappers Trademark Slang Terms

c_infamous said:
XXL: Is it true that your label, Get Low, is supposed to be Get Low East now because Cali rapper JT The Bigga Figga had the name first?

Bleek: Nah, we Get Low, DGL-Dirty Get Low. Like, dude on the westcoast, I met up with him, he said he dropped a couple of albums under Get Low, I ain't never know nothing about it. I'm like, I don't care 'cause I don't say Get Low to sound hot, that's a way of life. So whoever represents it makes me feel proud 'cause you understand that lifestyle.

Wow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BAY TODAY By T-K.A.S.H. of the COUP

There is no questioning the influence that Northern California Bay Area Hip Hop culture has on the rest of Hip Hop culture here in the United States and abroad.Terms such as “ OH BOY” and the now common as apple pie “ FA SHIZZLE” have been archived as Bay Area Hip Hop orientated phrases and in many ways have been successful tools for other Hip Hop artists from other regions to gain cross-demographical prestige and a trip to the bank every week for the rest of their lives, literally. I won’t spend too much time on the phrases that have been already hijacked commercialized and the key artist(s) who are involved, for that has been addressed in my previous pieces.What I want to do now is focus on new terms and phrases that are emerging from the Bay Area underground Hip Hop scene right now as I peck and you read. This will serve two purposes: Recognition and notarization. The true origin(s) will be acknowledged and documented from this day forward as Bay Area BORN, not based.

The three most popular phrases that are on the verge of being the next Bay Area born commercial Hip Hop trend engines are “Hy-Phy” (pronounced high-fee)“Go Stupid”, and “Get Low”. The terms “Hy-Phy” and “Go Stupid” originated in the streets of Oakland, CA and has been the phrase of choice among Bay Area inner city youth who want to describe someone or thing as animated, or having a high energy level. As this term grew in popularity over the last four or so years, it has graduated from the streets and into the world of Hip Hop, with Bay Area heavyweights such as E-40, Keek the Sneak, Mac Dre, Sann Quinn and the new up and coming group The Federation , who have been getting regional radio shine with the song rightfully entitled , ”Hy-Phy”
The term “Get Low” has been a part of Bay Area Hip Hop heritage and inner city street culture for at least 13 years. Originated in the streets of San Francisco’s historical Fillmore district, the term was used to describe a signature dance that was popular through out the neighborhood. At that time up and coming San Francisco artist J.T. the Bigga Figga emerged on the scene with Get Low Records in 1991, and almost every song and video he has produced has been dedicated to the preservation of this phrase and dance, which is a representation of the culture that his neighborhood has allowed him to pioneer to this very day. Unlike other trends and phrases, this one is unique in the aspect of downplay and denial by the industry and the artist(s)who are just now emerging with the phrase. Artists like Lil Jon and The Eastside boyz , Ying Yang Twins and Memphis Bleek are not guilty of infringement of the dance, but rather the phrase and it’s true birthplace. In a recent XXL publication, Memphis Bleek was vague in his knowledge of the origin, referring to “some dudes from cali” as previous owners of the phrase,and was quick to refer to his own version as the flagship. Lil Jon and the Eastside boys along with the Yin Yang twins have went platinum off the phrase with the now haunting track “Get Low”. Most importantly, JT the Bigga Figga signed a deal with Priority records in 1995, giving him the credit of having mainstream exposure brought to his version of the phrase and the street culture it represents, first.

I recently had the chance to speak with two up and coming Bay Area Hip Hop artists, and their insight to this issue was very introspective in itself. Dephunk Gotti of the Oakland -based rap group Product Of My Environment or P.O.M.E. for short, has went as far as to officially trademark his two flagship terms. “Instantly”, is a term he describes as a term of agreement, similar to “word” and “I feel you”, or the now infamous “fa-shizzle”. He gives the credit of origin for this phrase to himself and his people from the Brookfield Jungle area of 98th Ave, in East Oakland.

Both “Instantly”and “Buttlucker”(a term he defines as a man who is strictly motivated by the admiration given by women), are now protected by U.S. trademark laws, and Dephunk is eager to advise other Bay Area artists to “Get your @#%$ TRADE-marked, instead of just HOOD-marked”.The Group’s Self-titled album, Product Of My Environment is available now
Another Hip Hop artist who has followed suit and has federally protected his phrases and terms, is Oakland artist Mistah F.A.B. After seeing his debut album title, “Nig-Latin” online at various white supremacy and neo- nazi websites being used to describe urban slang, he was inspired by the consequences of negligence among artists and the ill fruits grown from the seeds of misrepresentation. His view has an oxymoronic point, or as he puts it ,” If you don’t patent or trademark your @#%$, when you do surface with it the fans might accuse you of stealing it from the fool that took your @#%$ in the first place”. He also goes on to tell of the recent popularity of his now trademarked phrase,“On-Mamas” which he invented through inspiration of the phrase “That’s on my mama”.His debut album, Nig-Latin is in stores now and his sophomore release, “Son Of A Pimp” is scheduled for release later this year.

Here in the Bay, we are too familiar with seeing the trends and micro-culture that we create be taken by others elsewhere for economical benefit in the world of Hip Hop. With the Bay Area Hip Hop scene gaining the most momentum now than it has seen in almost ten years, there is a lesson that has been learned and an action is being taken to counter a relapse that could possibly happen with the phrases and terms mentioned in this article. Trade marking, Copyrighting and Patenting are legal ways to protect your creation from being exploited by others in this industry and it can financially compensate you and your circle if you ever find that artists from other regions intentionally or accidentally use your creation without your permission. For example, had a Bay Area artist legally trademarked “fa-sizzle”, Old Navy Clothing Co. would be legally responsible for getting permission before electing actress Fran Drescher to use the phrase in their television commercials (which are still on the air) and would have to pay a hefty fine if they choose otherwise.

http://p076.ezboard.com/fpoliticalp...picID=558.topic

Feb 11, 2004
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
phil said:
you guys might not believe this, but here on the east, NOBODY KNOWS OR GIVES A MAD FUCK WHO JT THE BIGGA FIGGA IS. he means as much to us as say coo coo cal does to you.
shut yo square ass up u must know and give a fuck about jt because you all in his forum u a winnie for that coming in to another mans shit talkin bad on his name dont hate. thats really all u cats on the east is good at anyway besides snitchin shit i give jada his props but thats where its stops niggas gone hate on the west and all that bullshit but u know what we as real as it gets YO MONEY SON get the fuck out here u skutty bug before i put my skutty msket in your mouth kay pee real name no gimics holla

Feb 11, 2004
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
phil said:
you guys might not believe this, but here on the east, NOBODY KNOWS OR GIVES A MAD FUCK WHO JT THE BIGGA FIGGA IS. he means as much to us as say coo coo cal does to you.
shut yo square ass up u must know and give a fuck about jt because you all in his forum u a winnie for that coming in to another mans shit talkin bad on his name dont hate. thats really all u cats on the east is good at anyway besides snitchin shit i give jada his props but thats where its stops niggas gone hate on the west and all that bullshit but u know what we as real as it gets YO MONEY SON get the fuck out here u skutty bug before i put my skutty musket in your mouth WEST COAST BAY SHIT 4 LIFE IF IT AINT WEST U BETTER KEEp YO VEST COWARD........man mothafuckas be pissin me off fuck bleek the roc coo coo cal and anybodyelse with anything to say about the west coast and one more good FUCK U to that west coast ass nigga blazewun dissin the west u bitch u need to be banned from the west for that

Apr 7, 2003
I just think that memphis bleek should've known about JT'S record label cause JT would kick it wit Damon Dash and the whole Roc-A-Fella ontourage cause I saw a pic of him and damon together w/ the Roc. on a magazine a while back ago, I just think it's a trip though.

Dec 9, 2003
You ain't neva lied. And Jay-z wouldn't even have a career. If it wasn't for Pac roastin him on against all odds. He must call revenge cloning me and my girlfriend. You and your girlfriend ain't about a bitch everyone in the industry's fuckin. Fa shizzle my nizzle damn they playin with the game in New York. Put down that yammer and get original. They can say what they want about the Bay but we ain't carbon copying no nada rogue. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

P.S. Memp Bleek can't fuck with anyone on Get Low
or in the Moe period. Pick up that Double D and Telly Mac continous heat Double get's on the Roc on the last song.

May 6, 2004
paystyle.net
tone650 said:
You ain't neva lied. And Jay-z wouldn't even have a career. If it wasn't for Pac roastin him on against all odds. He must call revenge cloning me and my girlfriend. You and your girlfriend ain't about a bitch everyone in the industry's fuckin. Fa shizzle my nizzle damn they playin with the game in New York. Put down that yammer and get original. They can say what they want about the Bay but we ain't carbon copying no nada rogue. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

we need to claim our own.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/eandjsacmusic.htm

P.S. Memp Bleek can't fuck with anyone on Get Low
or in the Moe period. Pick up that Double D and Telly Mac continous heat Double get's on the Roc on the last song.
http://

Jun 16, 2004
how the fuck does new york come into play? yeah it's some muh-fuckas from over there that bite, but you also got some muh-fuckas from ova here that bite, but what the fuck you going call out a whole fucking city? that's fucking retarted, call out that fucking person, cause it's artists in new york that hold it down and that are original, but as much as i liked jay's first album which did good before against all odds came out, he is a biter and i just tripped off what you said thatruest cause i seen the same shit on XXL, jt was with puffy dame dash and russel simmons for some shit that was funding independent labels, and on the next fucking page what did i see? nothing else but 4 c.d.'s being advertised for "GET LOW RECORDS", it was one j.t. album i forgot which one tho, that Q.B. to fillmoe, and one with j.t. and juvie i believe it was, but it was get low signs all over that fucking page so i dont know how bleek didnt know

NASA

Sicc OG
Feb 5, 2003
tone650 said:
you guys might not believe this, but here on the east, NOBODY KNOWS OR GIVES A MAD FUCK WHO JT THE BIGGA FIGGA IS.

I think the same goes for Bleek on the West. The only reason his name getting mentioned is because he hella bitin' it's not because of his album. :confused:

Feb 8, 2003
707 loc said:
WHO THE FUCK IS COO COO CAL?....LOL
FUCK A COOCHIE CAL.

But for real I know about JT The Bigga Figga he is a legend I remember I bought his tape "Dwelling In The Lab" back in 94 when I was 14, and back then I never even heard of a Memphis Bleek.

Jun 17, 2004
These mothafuckas have been takin the Bay's slang for the longest, and Memphis Week is a little bitch for startin get low records out in the east coast, plus that sucka don't even spit tight, fuck Cock-A-Fella and fuck Memphis Week. It's about time the Bay Area gets some kind of recognition.

Apr 5, 2004
Stinj-e Mac said:
These mothafuckas have been takin the Bay's slang for the longest, and Memphis Week is a little bitch for startin get low records out in the east coast, plus that sucka don't even spit tight, fuck Cock-A-Fella and fuck Memphis Week. It's about time the Bay Area gets some kind of recognition.

couldnt be more true....