Lakers fans worst in NBA, among worst of all sports

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 13, 2007
Lakers fans worst in NBA, among worst of all sports

There are lots of much-maligned fans in the NBA, from the regular no-shows in Atlanta to the indifferent in Miami. But none draw others' ire quite like attendees at Lakers games, both for their Hollywood star power and a perceived sense of being fair-weather. In the common view, most of these fans have never heard of Sedale Threatt, or even Elden Campbell.

So it should not come as much of a surprise that Lakers fans came in at No. 15 (and No. 1 in the NBA) on a recent GQ list of the worst fans in sports (via TBJ, plus one instance of NSFW language at GQ.com). Take it away, Adam Winer:

Congratulations, Angelenos! You are the fairest of America's fair-weather fans! The Lakers unfaithful abandoned their team en masse when Magic retired in 1991, then reconfirmed their fickleness by sending local TV ratings plummeting 30 percent after Shaq departed in 2004. Meanwhile, in these championship days, the Staples Center is more bar scene than sports complex, where fans can't be bothered to clap -- their hands are too busy texting. "The focus is sometimes not on the court," coach Phil Jackson has said. "It's on the people in the crowd." Which explains why eight box suites were recently combined into an offshoot of an abominable nightclub, the Hyde Lounge. After VIPs pass a clipboard gauntlet -- at a sports stadium -- they can eat $21 nachos at a crocodile-skin bar while waiting for the space to transform into a postbuzzer dance club. When it's time to leave, a valet will even bring around their bandwagon.

Look, far be it from me to stick up for celebrity fans like will.i.am and Jeremy Piven, who seem to care more about the scene than whatever's happening on the court. But, as noted by Lakers fan Kurt Helin at ProBasketballTalk, there are plenty of real, passionate, legitimate Lakers fans in the upper levels at Staples Center and even more who watch on TV at home. In truth, the percentage breakdowns of good Lakers fans to bad ones is about the same as for any team -- there are just lots of people in L.A., some of whom are very famous and high-profile.

On top of that, Lakers fans occasionally appear a bit crazy because they root for Kobe Bryant(notes), the most polarizing athlete of his generation. All fans stick up for their stars when they're criticized -- it just happens to be the case that Kobe receives more criticism than anyone. Lakers fans are only doing their sworn duty when they defend the man from all possible criticism. It's really not much different than what Blazers fans do for Brandon Roy(notes), except people in Portland always do whatever possible not to offend anyone too much (via political correctness).

So the next time you want to talk smack about Lakers fans, think for a minute about the obsessives in Tarzana who watch every game on KCAL and FOX Sports West. They may not have fake boobs and publicists, but they count, too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-334878

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
WELL IF GQ MAGAZINE SAYS IT THEN IT MUST BE TRU!!11

average ticket price is around $150(average for nba is $48) and yet the staples is packed for every game. the crowd was crazy tonight and it was just the t-wolves. then there's the legion of fans that takeover other stadiums when we're on the road. kobe even got mvp chants in boston before. that recent game against the spurs was pretty damn ridiculous too.

Jan 16, 2006
Everywhere
Crowd noise is directly related to crowd expectation. The Golden State Warriors sure did have a legendary crowd when they were shocking the world against Dallas didn't they? Now? Nasomuch. The Queens used to have a really raucous crowd back during our rivalry with them didn't they? Ringing cowbells and screaming at the top of their lungs. Now they're about to move to Anaheim because of poor attendance. Fans cheer if you give them something to cheer for. For middle of the pack teams, regular season wins are probably a much bigger deal than they are to Laker fans who expect greatness every night because, well, we're spoiled. Our crowd acts like they've been there before, because we have. We don't need hip-hop DJs announcing or mascots or t-shirt cannons. At Staples it's about the basketball on the court, and our fans are too used to winning to act like an Oprah's Favorite Things Audience Member after every jump shot. Doesn't mean the Lakers have "bad fans", just fans with perspective.
And Staples definately gets crackin when it has too..and shit was rockin tonight vs the T-wolves, lol...too bad we played like ass...still got the w though.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
you wanna see the worst sports fans, just watch the heat when they play at home. it's so bad, the announcers make excuses for the empty seats every game. talkin' about how people don't show up until the 2nd quarter and then they never do. there is no possible excuse for a half empty stadium when you have lebron, wade and bosh on your team. the knick fans completely took the place over the last time they played there.

Nov 7, 2006
problem with lakers fans is that there fairweather fans are celebrities so they get the extra shine. i lived in boston all my life and been threw the ups and downs of the celtics and pats and the fans got to be the biggest fairweather fans i've ever seen. i remember going to the garden and having it be 50% empty and now it's full of hipster faggots who have no idea what are record even is or who the coaches name is. i fucking hate half the fans i meet at the games i go to. redsox always had there fans though and thats it but the funny thing is i'm not one lol. not sure about the bruins but i never seen bruins jerseys or nothing but now that there good i see them everywhere so i think the same rules apply.

Jan 16, 2006
Everywhere
in Boston the sports pecking order is Red Sox, Bruins, and Pats/Celtics? Seems that way...

Thats something else stupid about this article...the LAKERS are number one this area...Dodgers, Angels, Kings, Ducks and the Raiders and Rams(when they were here) are SECONDARY to the Lakeshow, which is saying something since the Dodgers and Kings have big followings and great attendance also and usually Baseball and football teams are higher on the pecking order in other places.

I grew up down here and Laker fans have always been faithfull..I can't speak on Laker fans in other areas and out of state...but actually down in 'Greater LA'..the Lakers are king.

Apr 25, 2002
www.mexica-movement.org
all the real die hard laker fans are the one that line up those streets in the hot sun during all those championship parades,that ones that fill up the sports bars & resturaunts during laker games...
laker tickets are expensive,not everybody can afford them..& i think alotta those rich folks that can ,treat the laker games like a night out on the town,like going to a movie or something...they dont even qualify as bandwagon fans because they aint fans at all...

reo

Banned
Feb 12, 2006
REAL ANGELINOS STAY TRU... THA BANDWAGONERS ARE ALL THE PEOPLE WHO MOVE HERE BCUZ THA LOS IS BETTER THAN EVERY OTHER CITY IN THA WERLD...