LADAINIAN TOMLINSON TO RETIRE

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

http://leeinks.weei.com/sports/2012/06/17/ladainian-tomlinson-to-retire-as-a-charger

After 11 seasons, five Pro Bowls and two rushing titles, LaDainian Tomlinson’s NFL career has come to an end.

The Chargers said Sunday that Tomlinson, who spent his first nine years in San Diego before signing with the Jets for the last two seasons, would re-sign with the Chargers on Monday and announce his retirement.

With 13,684 yards, Tomlinson finishes his career as the league’s fifth all-time leading rusher. His 145 rushing touchdowns are good for second all-time, while his 162 total touchdowns are third-best in NFL history behind Jerry Rice (208) and Emmitt Smith (175).

In 2006, Tomlinson won the MVP by setting NFL single-season records with 31 touchdowns, including 28 rushing, and 186 points. He also rushed for a career-high 1,815 yards that year, giving him the first of two straight league rushing titles.

After a less than harmonious split with the Chargers following the 2009 season, Tomlinson signed with the Jets, where he was expected to see limited action as a third-down back. Tomlinson, however, ended up as the team’s leading rusher with 914 yards in 2010, but had only 75 carries for 280 yards last season, playing mostly on passing downs.

Tomlinson was drafted fifth overall by San Diego in 2001. Teaming with fellow draft pick Drew Brees, and later Phillip Rivers, he was instrumental in turning the Chargers into a perennial powerhouse after the crippling Ryan Leaf years and retires as one of the biggest stars in the history of the franchise.

Jun 24, 2005
I for sure thought he was gonna break Emmitt Smith's career records, but I'm happy he didn't.

I remember wanting the Cowboys to draft him out of TCU though. He was definitely one of my favorite non-Cowboys players.

Jan 12, 2006
For some reason i thought he had more then 5 pro bowls, when you think about how dominant he was and look at his career stats you would think he would of made more appearances. Either way LT was a stud and is a first ballot hall of famer, I remember when he came out of TCU he said in high school/college he was never tackled from behind, i thought that was dope.

Ike Turner

CDCR_#k775281
Jul 17, 2011
South San Jose
damn, time fly's to fucking fast. it feels like he wasn't even drafted that long ago. been in the league over a decade. he's had a tremendous record breaking career. i'm glad he is retiring, instead of signing 1 yr contracts with 5 different teams and rotting away on the sideline for more. (favre,rice,lott,T.O etc.) retire, and stay retired. wait to get inducted.