"Killer" on XXL"s "25 Essential Independant Hip Hop Albums

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 1, 2009
Tech N9ne Killer; Strange Music, 2008
Dynamic by nature, Tech N9ne pushed his singular approach to hip-hop to a massive level with this 32-cut double LP, a high-octane whirlwind of bombastic production, intricate lyricism and accessible debauchery. And to think, this tour-de-force came from the inconspicuous Kansas City, Missouri underground scene. Killer is also notable for being the release that put Tech’s career sales mark over the one million hump, not to mention its brilliant cover artwork.
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=84371&page=6

May 7, 2008
yea killer was a good album i thought..it deserves some more credit.. hopefully tech sees this and does another 2 disc album with similia theme(S) ..

killer was way more than 1 style..it had a whole bunch of styles guess wait and see :)

#it was a weird list tho...some names in there than id never expect at all...good to see tech amongst names like Master P,NWA and that

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
This is part of the knob-polishing XXL will do when you get famous.

I liked Killer, but Absolute Power is more "essential" on a holistic level.

Nov 6, 2007
Absolute Power is more apporiate for the list because of the FTI campaign and how Strange let people download it for free and how it still managed to sell very well. The editors probably just barley discovered Tech's music and aren't familar with anything before 2008.

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
Absolute Power is more apporiate for the list because of the FTI campaign and how Strange let people download it for free and how it still managed to sell very well. The editors probably just barley discovered Tech's music and aren't familar with anything before 2008.
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Killer was a "#1 independent album," whereas Absolute Power was not. Also take into account that Killer is still his best performing album in terms of the Billboard 200, it reached #12 whereas AP only made it up to #79. That, and Killer was geared toward the "XXL/Source/etc." crowd, what with Ice Cube, Brother J, Shawnna and Scarface being on there.

Sep 25, 2006
www.jsmitty.com
Killer was the "last real attempt to get the industry to really embrace my music" album. Or that's how I thought it was. But, it was definitely well-rounded. However, not my fav. But, if I could take 15 songs out of the 2 discs and create one disc...it would for sure be my fav album lol