Just a Novelty?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 17, 2006
So do people stll take gangsta rap seriously, or is it just a novelty, or people trying to hang onto the past. I used to like "gangsta" rap (like in the 90's ), but I've grown up, and it's sad for me to here grown up glorify murder, drugs, rape, etc. Now I like more grown up type rap, like Lupe, Hov, even Kanye etc. What's the general concensiois (sic)?

Edit: Even a few years ago I was excited by all the net hype about the Cali artists that were supposed to make it big...Big Rich, CrookecI, Ya Boy, Glasses Malone, Balance, San Quinn, Messy Marv, Clyde Carson, etc. What ever happened to those guys? Are they all in prison now or working at Burger King or what?

Jan 9, 2009
So do people stll take gangsta rap seriously, or is it just a novelty, or people trying to hang onto the past. I used to like "gangsta" rap (like in the 90's ), but I've grown up, and it's sad for me to here grown up glorify murder, drugs, rape, etc. Now I like more grown up type rap, like Lupe, Hov, even Kanye etc. What's the general concensiois (sic)?

Edit: Even a few years ago I was excited by all the net hype about the Cali artists that were supposed to make it big...Big Rich, CrookecI, Ya Boy, Glasses Malone, Balance, San Quinn, Messy Marv, Clyde Carson, etc. What ever happened to those guys? Are they all in prison now or working at Burger King or what?
OF COURSE WE TAKE IT SERIOUS YOU CAUCASIAN.
GANGSTA RAP IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Dec 29, 2008
i can listen to gangsta rap if it has substance. i try to listen to artists that have knowledge of self and don't present themselves as walking stereotypes.

Sep 17, 2006
i can listen to gangsta rap if it has substance. i try to listen to artists that have knowledge of self and don't present themselves as walking stereotypes.
It seems like all these dudes just portray a sterotype. You know who I used to like? The Jacka. He would talk about killing and dealing, but would always offer up the negative POV about it. I don't give rap a listen anymore, but I check out the forums, and it seems like everyone just falls into that negative steryotype.

Sep 17, 2006
Its just entertainment.

The problem is that it's not. Look at alot of the ppl on this site, that think there gangsta because of the rap they listen too when they really not gangsta. Alot of these kids are gonna wind up getting there asses kicked for thining there thugs cause the rappers they listen too make it seem "cool."

May 2, 2002
Rap has always been rap. The powers that be labeled it "gangsta" rap. We just took it and ran with it. Its entertainment. I don't live the "gangsta" lifestyle; a lot of these rappers don't either. I've never really cared to get into a rappers, or anyone else's personal life. When rappers make a cd, they're essentially inviting the fans into their personal lives. How much of it is "real" or not is anyone's guess.

If after you hear a song, you go and rob a liquor store or kill someone, you're obviously young and impressionable and probably shouldn't be listening to rap in the first place. If you grew up in a gang, drug, and crime infested area and thats what you rap about, my guess is you more than likely live that lifestyle.

If you rap about killin' somebody but never pulled a trigger, you should probably quit while you're ahead. Just 'cause a muthafucka raps about killin' hella muthafuckaz doesn't mean they do it.

At the end of the day, a lot of 'em have mouths to feed and bills to pay.
IMO, rappers (should) only rap about what they know.

ET23

Sicc OG
May 22, 2008
i listen to gangsta rap with substance and when its coming from artists i believe lived in the struggle, theyre the real. NWA, 2Pac, Crooked I, so forth...