JT and Too Short on MTV

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 1, 2004

From MTV-

Dogg Pound Gangsta Clique's 'Cali Iz Active' features who's who of West Coast stars.
Daz, Snoop Dogg and Ice Cube on the set of Tha Dogg Pound's "Cali Iz Active" video

LOS ANGELES — MTV recently organized the Great Day in Atlanta, the Source had its own Great Day in Houston, and on Saturday, it was a veritable Great Day in Los Angeles when Snoop Dogg called just about every artist on the West Coast to appear in the Dogg Pound Gangsta Clique's video for "Cali Iz Active."

"Snoop opened his little black book and called everybody up," Snoop's cousin Daz Dillinger said at the clip's Elysian Park set. "I'm asking who's coming up here."

"We're still wondering who's coming," Kurupt offered. "It's a mystery."

Shortly after the waiting and anticipation was over, cars started pulling up with the likes of Ice Cube, Too Short, Warren G, Xzibit and Strong Arm Steady, Evidence, Dilated Peoples, JT the Bigga Figga, WC, and DJ Quik.

"This reminds me of the ['Nuthin' But A] "G" Thang' video," Quik, standing next to Xzibit, said of the camaraderie, "and that video is like 12 years old."

Later, most of the guys in the video filmed a picnic scene together as well as some DPGC performance shots.

"This was how the West was one," Snoop said, surrounded by all his homies, referencing the title of his West Coast unity tour (see "Snoop And Game Beef Up Their How The West Was One Tour"). "We all love each other, we're all one movement. It's beautiful."

"We always had a lot of love for each other, but Los Angels keeps it spread out," Cube observed. "So we coming together. We realized that's its all one coast, we need to galvanize the West Coast. Show we all need to support each other."

As to what "Cali Iz Active" means, Kurupt said, "The song represents the West Coast as whole. We're pushing as one positive thing."

"You getting busy, you in trouble, it's a lot of stuff going on," Daz added. "You've got the police situation in Cali, the race issue in California, Congress. It's time for us to step up and show what's really going on. We're letting you know it's active."

The vibe was so great during the video shoot, all the artists were talking about going on tour together. Ice Cube has started his own tour with Daz and Kurupt and the Clipse, and Snoop has been jumping on some dates.

Dogg Pound Gangsta Clique's self-titled LP is due June 27.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1529378/20060424/story.jhtml

Oct 30, 2005
RealTalk2000 said:
its the same shit...when I say L.A Im referring to all of that Southern cali area from past the grapevine all the way down to long beach...Im sayin bay artists should fuck with them southern cali niggaz thats already mainstream...Snoop, Game, Cube, Nate Dogg, DPG, Xzibit, etc...It doesnt matter if theyre from Northridge or Compton...Bay niggaz need to fucks with them niggaz cuz there's a lot of money to be made out there...are yall niggaz too slow to realize that?
What ur too slow to realize that its the other way around...L.A nigga'z should try to fuck with us...they already mainstream...they the ones with the connections to other mainstream artists, they the one on hollywood status...lend a helping hand would you???.....NAw we're on our own with this one...we got this far without any help from anyone else other then maybe lil john. but then again the south has always reached out to us, same goes with their fans...unlike the southern ca. with th exception of the whole dogg pound and ice cube.

Apr 8, 2004
threexkrzy said:
What ur too slow to realize that its the other way around...L.A nigga'z should try to fuck with us...they already mainstream...they the ones with the connections to other mainstream artists, they the one on hollywood status...lend a helping hand would you???.....NAw we're on our own with this one...we got this far without any help from anyone else other then maybe lil john. but then again the south has always reached out to us, same goes with their fans...unlike the southern ca. with th exception of the whole dogg pound and ice cube.
i was out at this particular video shoot filming so this is my 2 cents on the whole shit...

I saw a lot of LA dudes show JT love - not just Snoop, Daz & Kurupt, but up and coming dudes like Glasses Malone (Sony 1.7 million) and Bishop Lamont (Aftermath) showed Jt love too. I personally heard Glasses tell JT he was already knowin about his independant boss status.

LA most definitely shows us love and I can attest to that fact 1st hand. The problem isn't that LA doesn't want to fuck with us, its that we (the Bay) don't fuck with them enuff. Bay artists need to go there and network wit them cuz the music indusgry revolves around LA and that's a fact. It's awfully egotistical to say that they should come up here and fuck with us. We need to reach out to them. If they slap us in the face then thats that, but honestly I don;t think that will be the case. FYI Short, JT and Me were the only ones from the Bay out there.

The problem I think is (and this is aimed at no one in particular) is that a lot of Bay cats have an ego the size of Texas and feel that doing shit like that is humbling. IMO, fucking with La is one of the ways that we can get ahead. They're ready, are we?

(BTW, to see Snoop, DPG, Quik, Xzibit, Dilated, B-Real, Warren G, Bishop. G. M<alone, etcetc all in the same place was a beautiful thing.)

Apr 8, 2004
threexkrzy said:
nah, we need to reach out to them. if they turn us away then thats another thing, but THEY SHOW US LOVE!!! the south is a whole nother story, there's a lot of history behind that. they grew up on our music. la didnt.

put it like this, you can;t be mad for someone not helping you if you don;t help yourself. how is it that i see all these bay artists at MAGIC, a fuckin clothing convention, but only a few at Snoops video shooT?? WHAT THE FUKK

Oct 30, 2005
Chinese Mike said:
nah, we need to reach out to them. if they turn us away then thats another thing, but THEY SHOW US LOVE!!! the south is a whole nother story, there's a lot of history behind that. they grew up on our music. la didnt.

put it like this, you can;t be mad for someone not helping you if you don;t help yourself. how is it that i see all these bay artists at MAGIC, a fuckin clothing convention, but only a few at Snoops video shooT?? WHAT THE FUKK

tRUE...But what i would like to know is was this shoot a open invite or was everyone that was there personally invited? i seen on mtv where short said something like...."when snoop called me "

Apr 8, 2004
threexkrzy said:
tRUE...But what i would like to know is was this shoot a open invite or was everyone that was there personally invited? i seen on mtv where short said something like...."when snoop called me "
its like this, industry mufuckas know what time it is. of couse most shoots are invite only, or else youd have everybody and they momma there. btw security was pretty tight.

this is my thing - 2 Bay artists flaked on going that I invited and put on the list. next time i'll invite more.

but it's not like this is the only LA event like this. they have shoots every week, an opporuinity to network every week. i met Bishop Lamont thru fuckin Slum Village!!! so i'm not saying they shoulda been just at this, they should go to La ev ents period and fuck with it.

The only bay cats they know are 40, Short, RR, Spice 1 & Keak (that's pre TMWTG). We need to change that. Glasses Malone kept saying E-40 over and over lol.

It's like this, this dude told me that i need to fuck with more black chicks b/c i'm different from the dudes they usually meet. the same goes for the bay and la.

Oct 30, 2005
Chinese Mike said:
its like this, industry mufuckas know what time it is. of couse most shoots are invite only, or else youd have everybody and they momma there. btw security was pretty tight.

this is my thing - 2 Bay artists flaked on going that I invited and put on the list. next time i'll invite more.

but it's not like this is the only LA event like this. they have shoots every week, an opporuinity to network every week. i met Bishop Lamont thru fuckin Slum Village!!! so i'm not saying they shoulda been just at this, they should go to La ev ents period and fuck with it.

The only bay cats they know are 40, Short, RR, Spice 1 & Keak (that's pre TMWTG). We need to change that. Glasses Malone kept saying E-40 over and over lol.

It's like this, this dude told me that i need to fuck with more black chicks b/c i'm different from the dudes they usually meet. the same goes for the bay and la.

Since Snoop seems to be the spokesperson of Southern Ca and E-40 seems to have alot of pull now, why not have them try to do something...it gotta start somewhere...i doubt this will ever happen but its a thought that they might want to consider....ya think?

Apr 8, 2004
you ever heard the saying bosses will be bosses? 40 and snoop both got a lot going on. thats why it has to start at the ground level. our upcoming stars need to fuck with theirs and create a new hisotry/future. it's easier for glasses malone and keak to get together than snoop and 40
(not that i think theyd necessarily sound good together)

Oct 30, 2005
Chinese Mike said:
you ever heard the saying bosses will be bosses? 40 and snoop both got a lot going on. thats why it has to start at the ground level. our upcoming stars need to fuck with theirs and create a new hisotry/future. it's easier for glasses malone and keak to get together than snoop and 40
(not that i think theyd necessarily sound good together)
i wasnt talking about them getting together musically...i was leaning more towards 40 and snoop setting something up to have The L.A cats meet some of the Bay cats who arent as big as 40 or snoop so there can be a "New West"

Apr 8, 2004
threexkrzy said:
from the article on cocaineblunts.com

a lot of the south is influenced by JT The Bigga Figga and stuff like that. There definitely is an influence - of course, Too Short.

Oct 30, 2005
Chinese Mike said:
LOL @ all of these bay artists who are supposedly ballin and can't even afford to spend a week in LA much less a weekend

i dont think that because bay artists are known for having ego's means that they're supposedly ballin...??? they just living ghetto faboulous...baller on a budget type shit. shit look at the music videos that gets put out(aside from tmw2g video) and even that compared to what we see on mtv or b.e.t looks like a low budget video. and no we shouldnt depend on 40 or snoop to get something going but someone has to extend the olive branch.

Apr 8, 2004
threexkrzy said:
someone has to extend the olive branch.
and you propose it's they (LA) who should do that, but the world already revolves around them because of their geographic location. my point is that bay artists should swallow their pride and extend the olive branch. if we wait for la to do it it';ll never happen

Apr 8, 2004
threexkrzy said:
i dont think that because bay artists are known for having ego's means that they're supposedly ballin...???
but they do have egos right? a 5k selling bay artist generally has the ego of an la artist who sells 100k+++++ bay arists think theyre balli off of $40-80k (5-10k units) which in the big scheme aint shit

BTW, the Cali Iz Active vid was definitely NOT budget

Oct 30, 2005
Chinese Mike said:
but they do have egos right? a 5k selling bay artist generally has the ego of an la artist who sells 100k+++++ bay arists think theyre balli off of $40-80k (5-10k units) which in the big scheme aint shit

BTW, the Cali Iz Active vid was definitely NOT budget
who sells more then 100k in L.A other then Cube Game or Snoop?...if i was a bay kat selling 5-10k without spins or any major promotion and considering that there's 200-300 more bay rappers doing the same hustle...i'm gonna be pretty damn proud of myself and hell yeah i'm gonna have a ego...the bay is to the rap game like what AAA is to Baseball....its a breading ground and theyre just waiting to get signed to the big league's

Jan 5, 2006
www.turfquake.com
i still dont understand how bay & LA rappers "uniting" will put the west on top...

still only a few major label deals

and bay artists cant sell shit anymore

lotta shitty product bein circulated as "THE NEXT THING"

and LA's independent game aint shit to speak of... ask any nigga who raps down there and they'll tell you

since when do labels say shit like "0o yeah the bay & LA are together lets give them some major deals now"

just cant see it... more time in the studio & building up your connections/network will get u farther then bein in a snoop video or collabin with an up & coming LA artist (who aint makin no real moves his daym self)

just my take on it

carry on