JAY-Z...TECH N9NE..AGE doesn't have to mean shit...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 16, 2002
some people have been talking a lot of shit about the Jay-Z album and some that are even jumping on the dumb-ass Jim Jones/dipset BALLIN bandwagon... the new era of young rappers like Jim Jones, Game, etc. People saying that Jay-Z should've stayed retired and that his return album proves it.

All I'm saying is that age doesn't mean shit...Jay-Z's shit's probably not as great as his old stuff because the dude is RICH NOW...hell, even in the Linkin Park/JAY-Z DVD, Hova said "Man, I gotta go back to the old Jay-Z" or something like that while recording the "FAINT/JIGGA WHAT" mash-up. People need to realize that it's up the ARTISTS him/herself if they wanna keep presenting great lyrics, stage presence, etc. I believe that TECH N9NE can never lose that the older he gets unless he's as old as a great great great great grandpa or something. anyways, just a thought....what do you all think about it??? Because I've had some dumb-ass random rap fans tell me:"Man, tech's shit ain't as great as his oldschool stuff..", "nigga is gettin' old...it's all about them young rappers like Game, Lil Wayne and Jim Jones... old rappers like Tech and Jay-Z need to know when to fuckin retire."

when Tech gets as big as Snoop Dogg and JAY-Z, do you think Tech would still be as great as he has been? I believe he would because a prime example is the "Everready" album.. so yeah, fuck the haters and doubters...and sorry but a lot of them new un-educated mainstream loving rap fans need to stop listening to that crack rap.

Sep 26, 2002
FreedomLost said:
tech is the standard by which others are judged right now
true. at least one of the standards. and if rap music survives the mainstream gayness a new generation of rappers will be totally different because by then they've learned a few tricks from people like tech n9ne

Sep 11, 2006
Everready is a prime example that tech isn't losing it. He also has isms that will come out and Kabosh. Kabosh just proves that he can move in any direction he chooses and still kick ass.

Jan 26, 2006
Well age is a cop out in this thing... The Game said in One Blood somethin about rappin at 38 etc also... (in addition to Jay-Z's situation)

It's a nice line but Tech has more game than Gaym... heh... I kid, "Gaym" lol..

But game isn't the issue. Tech looks like he's nearly 10 years younger anyway. Age is only an issue with rappers like Jay-Z who are all style and no substance heh. People who are "cool" lol. People are like, he is getting old (whether that means stale or speaking of age), that's because HELLO Jay-Z uses the same simple ass rhymes and style. His style couldn't fly at an old age. People don't wanna hear a 38 year old shallowly talkin just about the block shit,etc, and pimpin, anymo then. That is what it comes down to. Tech can mix with anything. If he can't rap he'll go to rock, you guys know this. I said that last bit because he will probably do some rap stuff in his rock anyway lol (Kabosh).

So, AGE is a cop out for gimmick rappers. Like Tonedeff say, "no gimmicks" man.

Apr 5, 2005
Wow...to say that jay's style is SIMPLE, of all people, just shows you havent listened to what jay has done. Go diss someone besides jay...

And jay has one of the best stage presences in the game...

But yes, there is a time to stop in my opinion. I'm not saying its 40...but when your 45 or 50 you have to stop purely because you've had your run. Rap is like a sport. SURE. Jordan came back playing pretty well with the wizards by everyday-joe standards. But that doesnt mean there isnt a time to bow out gracefully and help the next generation move up.

I think Jay should have stayed retired.

I think Tech has time left, not because o fhis age, but because he's only really been a REAL force in the rap game since anghellic dropped.

And in my opinion, if kabosh doesnt blow on some level, I feel like tech will be an underground legend forever. Which i'm fine with..i mean, i want all the success for the man that he can bring his direction, but as long as he makes good music, im cool.

Jan 30, 2006
1. Jay-z was never that tight... "big pimp'n" at his best
2. He retired (thank god)
3. He came back with more garbage (noooo)

Techn9ne on the other hand has always been tight.... You CANNNNOT Compare ANYONE to tech esspecially Jay fucking z. The only person as old as tech in the rap game now that actually still rips is E-40, WHICH him and tech do shit together so its all good. Tech will retire when E-40 does.. When they die.

Aug 8, 2002
www.techn9nehq.com
There are a lot of old rappers in the game still producing hits...or so we think.

It's just that most of them don't need rap now to make a living. And most of them don't really have the passion it seems for performing and recording. They are just interested in keeping their name out there.

But who says 35 is too old to rap? We really are only hitting the 30's and 40's of our first generation of mainstream rappers. You think back to the mid to late 80's to early 90's. All the rappers that were worth a damn...or popular...

LL
RunDMC
PE
NWA
Eric B & Rakim
EPMD/Def Squad
Wu-Tang
E-40
Spice 1
Snoop/Dogg Pound
Jay-Z
Shaq
Tribe
Bone Thugs
Scarface
Nas
Twista
UGK
Diddy
DMX

And there are much more, most of them are 30-45 range and most are still working on new music. And more importaintly STILL popular and making money without anyone cracking on how old they are. When is a rapper not supposed to be rapping anymore? There hasn't been an age limit set. This culture is only 30 years old itself.

Look at rock music and how it's older artists are viewed. Many bands are still rocking into their 50's, 60's and 70's. They may not be worth a shit anymore, but there are still some doing it and doing it well.

My personal opinion...I want to see most of these rappers (Tech included) well into their 40's. As long as they still have what it takes to rip out a disgustingly sick track and be able to jump around and perform on stage. If they can keep updating their styles to the new wave and not sound like an old man then I want to hear it.

Jul 4, 2005
...callin me an old negro,
but i dunno a young n*gga that can hold me though,
plus they dough below average and i hold the glow
but they want me 2 fall so they can say i told u so...
*tech n9ne

his shit is nothing less then 100% progressive. it gets better and better every album, even every track for that matter. in a lot of interviews he's always talkin about how he's still got that youngster in him, and it shows, he hasnt missed a beat. a lot of other rappers r hot 4 awhile, and then just kinda run out of rhythm, rhymes, or just topics in general...i think everyone would agree (especially in this forum) that tech is at the top of his game.

Aug 20, 2006
FLA
jay was an average rapper from reasonable doubt to black album....now hes garbage to the fullest

i dont like techs older stuff that much cuz i dont feel any of don juans beats, then he had 3 sick ass albums in a row (AG, AP, VT) and everready was sick too, but it wasnt as good, but i think it was cuz, like he said, that he wasnt in the studio much and he would record a song one month then not go back and write for another 3 months and shit, i think he just needs to write a lil more then he been doin and he could come out with an album sicker then all his albums put together