Is The Ghetto Being Sold To Suburbia?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Gizmo

Sicc OG
Nov 8, 2002
Is The Ghetto Being Sold To Suburbia?

More often than not, nowadays you will see a piece of the Ghetto in the Suburbs. From Clothing to Music to Slang it gets embedded from what kids see as cool.

The underlying appeal is why Scarface is hip-hop's Rosetta stone. Why kids play cops and robbers instead of cops and real estate brokers. Why we love Tony Montana, Jesse James, Genghis Khan and Robin Hood.
It's why the ghetto is a commodity packaged in "Reality" and sold in suburbia while suburbia is packaged in "Surrealism" and sold in the ghetto.

It's why cul-de-sac folk watch Menace II Society and rap along to "Fuck tha Police." It's why it's a thrill to drive through Compton on vacation. It's why Johnson County kids flash gang signs and sip 40s of Olde E. They want what they don't have: excitement.
That's why kids around Douglas and Hazel watch Scarface and rap along to "Hyphy". Why it's a thrill to drive a sleek, black Chrysler with 24-inch rims. Why hip-hop is inundated with cash, jewelry, clothes and hos. We want what we don't have: status.
At its best, underground hip-hop is honest -- Tupac as thug poet, Public Enemy as conscience and chaos, Bay Area Folks connecting grit, wit and gall. But the Mainstream? What happens to fledgling artists with blurred vision and unrealistic expectations? What happens when millions of desperate voices spit over one another without saying anything?

Stroll through the local-music section at any Northern Cali record store. You'll see dozens of rap albums plastered with images of Benjamins and half-naked chicks, discs with titles such as Now or Never and Hustlin' 'til I Die. Everyone is hard. Everyone is a pimp. Everyone is rich (even though the only area rapper who can buy groceries on the mic is Lynch, 40 Water and a few others). Most of these records feature no fewer than 1,247 guest appearances.
Most are collecting dust.

But grinding out a 9 to 5 isn't top priority when Nor Cal mentors are dropping albums such as Money Is Motive, Married To The Game and Illegal Game. Its the Name that Says power and Money is in the CD Case. Now we have Gangs in the Burbs. Is it Life imitating Art or Vice Versa? While in the Ghetto we see The Surreal Life and Hogan Knows Best with dreams of moving on up to a better lifestyle, The Burbs watch Chingy and The Game on BET with dreams of Hoes, Cars and Power.

But does it stop there? Reading in the SN&R a few weeks back I seen the Ghetto actually being sold to Suburbia. How? Take Oak Park and Broderick for example. I see Minorities being pushed out so the people with more cash can come in. Now I have no Problem with Fixing up and bettering an area. But If you are fixing up the area and are planning to get rid of the ones who backed the projects to better the Community something is just wrong.

This is just some more verbal ranting and raving.........
Some things to think on...................................................... Comments welcome.

Dec 26, 2004
Yeah its wierd, Ive even noticed alot more nows of Ghetto kids wanna get be on that "Rich Life". N here all these fuckin rich kids wanna be on that "Thug Life".

C

CCCUser925

the ghetto aint being sold to suburbia...the ghetto is moving in to suburbia...

real talk..look at Antioch, Brentwood and areas like that...alot of people moving to those areas are people from the inner cities.....but it aint being sold at all..

Apr 25, 2002
YES AND NO..THERES ALWAYS PEOPLE FROM THE BURBS WHO LEGITAMETLY LIVE A LIFE MORE ROUTINELY ROUTED IN THE "GHETTO"..NOT NECESSARILY FROM WATCHIN A HOOD MOVIE OR LISTENIN TO MUSIC..SHIT JUST HAPPENS LIKE THAT..BUT ITS DEFINETLY HAVIN AN IMPACT ON THE ONCE STR8 AND NARROW......IN SOME CASES NERDS ETC ETC..WHO COMPLETELY CHANGE UP CHARACTER BASED ON SOMETHIN THEY BEEN INFLUENCED BY..I KNOW A FEW OF THESE PEOPLE

Mar 15, 2005
its the lacc of focus on the bigger picture.....that money is Amerikkkaz religion.....that power is in the hands of the wealthy and they seek to keep that power by any means and that involves makin more money off of the lower class and keepin the lower class low......it aint even about race really no more.....i mean yeah most of the wealthy are white but they got plenty of brainwashed minorities helpin them fucc the rest of us over.....but at the same time you cant jus blame these folks for all your personal problems....ive done this most my life and it aint changed shit....

the real problem is lethargy (laziness, lacc of motivation, procrastination).....i know hundreds of cats who disagree wit the way this country is being run.....and im sure there are milliions who think like us....but who is REALLY DOIN ANYTHING ABOUT IT????
nobody doin shit but complainin.....there is a limit to what each individual can do yes i know....but as a group so much more could be done....but before there can be a group individuals need to take a long hard look at themselves and get they own mind correct......

this shit stems so far though its ridiculous and im startin to lose faith in a revolution.....everything is so fucced i really dont see how it can be reversed barring a major catostrophic change to the United States which would involve a lot of death.....the world is run by corporations who feed off of EVERYONE.....you cant live without supporting these corps. unless you happen to have a farm and grow your own food and make your own clothes or somethin to that drastic extent......jus look around you right now and i bet you can easily spot 20 things in your vicinity that were purchased and a corporation made a profit off of.........its probably too late.....

im jus gonna move to amseterdam one day and say fucc the US and do my own thang cuz this country is a lost cause already.....the world is a pretty fucced up place and most of us aint even prepared for the type of things kids 100 years for now are gonna have to deal wit.....

Gizmo

Sicc OG
Nov 8, 2002
DFLORES said:
the ghetto aint being sold to suburbia...the ghetto is moving in to suburbia...

real talk..look at Antioch, Brentwood and areas like that...alot of people moving to those areas are people from the inner cities.....but it aint being sold at all..
They have to go some where.

Omar Good shit.