is seattle a joke?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 14, 2003
Shasta said:
I KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT STATING FACTS, I AM FROM THE HOOD I CAN MENTION A FEW ONE MOSTLY KNOWN 44 HOLLY BLOCK HOOVA'S. SO WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT PART CAUSE I STAY SOUTHBOUND BABY AND THE 20 MURDERS A YEAR THAT AINT SHIT TO BRAG ABOUT. WE GOT GANGSTA'S YOU MUST DON'T KNOW THEM. THE ONES I KNOW I DONE SEEN PUT IN WORK SO THIS IS FROM YOUR PUNK ASS POINT OF VIEW. DON'T PLAY I KNOW A DUDE THAT CAME FROM CHICAGO AND GOT POPPED. DON'T MAKE IT SEEM LIKE OUR CITY AINT GANGSTA IT IS TO A CERTAIN EXTINCT YOU'LL HAVE FOOLS THINKING ONE WAY AND COME UP HERE AND GET POPPED!
EXACTLY, MAN, BUT THIS AINT NOTHIN TO BE HAPPY ABOUT, BUT , WE WERE RAISED AROUND THIS, AND SEEN IT HAPPENED, I'M JUST TELLIN DUDE HOW THIS IS, IT'S LIFE, OUR LIFE, MY LIFE, SOMETHIN HE OBVIOUSLY HASN'T BEEN THROUGH

Oct 12, 2004
Jae Reekay said:
Well,thats what happens when you live in Magnolia...come down to Southpark or The Vista...and youll see how hood it really is square bear....if you dont like the town..raise the fuck up on out...we dont need lames makin the town look bad anyways...kick rocks sucka...
need we say more?.......lol

Jun 4, 2002
Tukwila, Washington has a Relocation Crime Lab Index of 225 which is a higher crime rate than the national average

NYC (Brooklyn), New York has a Relocation Crime Lab Index of 227 which is a higher crime rate than the national average

The highway has cleaned up hella since the early 90's........im actually surpised shit is still so high..

There is lots of little hoods outside the actual city of seattle...i grew up around tukwila seatac desmoines white center burien bolevard park and
alot more shit does go down in these outline areas then in the city of seattle...tukwila has the most cops per person than any city in america
and if you know the city shit really only goes down on the highway thats
about ten blocks long with cameras right on the block so somebody must not be joking!!

Apr 25, 2002
i dont see why people gotta bust out statistics and shit to compesenate and feel hard again..lmao..i live in a nice section where u dont gotta worry bout gettin shot or robbed..but best believe right here in this small neighborhood i got a house i can go grab an assortment of heat..i can break down a brick..i can do whatever whenever ya feel..its street everywhere..and lames find out the hard way day after day

Apr 25, 2002
SAM SAVAGE said:
Tukwila, Washington has a Relocation Crime Lab Index of 225 which is a higher crime rate than the national average

NYC (Brooklyn), New York has a Relocation Crime Lab Index of 227 which is a higher crime rate than the national average

The highway has cleaned up hella since the early 90's........im actually surpised shit is still so high..

There is lots of little hoods outside the actual city of seattle...i grew up around tukwila seatac desmoines white center burien bolevard park and
alot more shit does go down in these outline areas then in the city of seattle...tukwila has the most cops per person than any city in america
and if you know the city shit really only goes down on the highway thats
about ten blocks long with cameras right on the block so somebody must not be joking!!
Thank you finally someone using my links and taking a more objective approach. I know lots of you think the stats are for the nerds but it is a fact that bad things happen everywhere but of course there is a tremendous range in the amount. Stats are just stats but they do give you an idea. Per Capita makes a huge difference too (like for New York and LA, on average they are very safe cities, safer than Seattle).

And I also agree with that guy who said it's important to remember that this is BAD not good. I was lucky enough to grow up in a safe area where I could go running late at night, not worry about my brothers etc. and I'm thankful for it everyday.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
@206Thugin: How's that HP Pavillion you're typing from treating you? You should upgrade your internet service to something other than DSL as well... it's kind of slow unless you're right next door to the switch!!!! I know who you are, and where you live. Pipe down shit head.

Aug 20, 2004
mo-x said:
@206Thugin: How's that HP Pavillion you're typing from treating you? You should upgrade your internet service to something other than DSL as well... it's kind of slow unless you're right next door to the switch!!!! I know who you are, and where you live. Pipe down shit head.
LOL...someone got they card pulled...suckelle...

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
mo-x said:

LMFAO...OWNED. :dead:

Nuttkace

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
206thugin said:
i dont really see why slr is around. i am from seattle and there is some ghetto areas like rainer and shit but theres like harly any gangs or shit like that. we have like 20 murders yearly.. how is that a ganster city when citys like clevland have way more gang activity and there population is hella smaller. im sure seattle has some shit going on but i dont think its gangster at all. plus "gangsters" at least real ones are usually thought of as african americans like the crips and bloods etc. seattle is a primarily white city with maybe.. 8 percent black.. i dunno maybe im wrong but if this were a " hard city" im sure there would be some poplulr shit coming out of the 206
Im sorry but when did the murder rate affect how "gangster" an area is, and why are you trying to glorify it like without a high murder rate this and that ain't right? wtf is that about, there is hella drug activity, prostitution rings, EVERYWHERE, you can find a crack-head in almost every city, town, whatever, to me thats corrupt, who said Seattle was a "gangster city", your not gangster, stop it.

Apr 25, 2002
Mr. Samos said:
Im sorry but when did the murder rate affect how "gangster" an area is, and why are you trying to glorify it like without a high murder rate this and that ain't right? wtf is that about, there is hella drug activity, prostitution rings, EVERYWHERE, you can find a crack-head in almost every city, town, whatever, to me thats corrupt, who said Seattle was a "gangster city", your not gangster, stop it.
I don't see what's wrong with using murder rate to compare cities levels of "gangsterness," seems like an effective indicator to me. Of course there are drug addicts and prostitution in every city but what is worse, a bunch of druggies and hookers running around or a bunch of druggies and hookers running around W/over 100 homicides a year??

As for nobody saying Seattle is a gangster city, I think what he's saying is that the rappers have said Seattle is a gangster city.

But you're right of course that this is a BAD THING that nobody esp. people who haven't had to deal with the real-life implications of being in a "gangster area"

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
xpanther206 said:
I don't see what's wrong with using murder rate to compare cities levels of "gangsterness," seems like an effective indicator to me. Of course there are drug addicts and prostitution in every city but what is worse, a bunch of druggies and hookers running around or a bunch of druggies and hookers running around W/over 100 homicides a year??

As for nobody saying Seattle is a gangster city, I think what he's saying is that the rappers have said Seattle is a gangster city.

But you're right of course that this is a BAD THING that nobody esp. people who haven't had to deal with the real-life implications of being in a "gangster area"
Well yeah that is true no doubt. I just think that if there are over 100 homicides a year, its more of something seriously gone WRONG in that city when there are countries with rates below 10. But im sure we all have major differences because when I think of gangster I think of the dapper gone teflon don John Gotti, New York, you know, not some oppressed poverty-stricken black male or hispanic, or where Im at, vietnamese. Poverty is another big ass issue, poverty is pushing the same drama we see everyday, people are on the streets selling themselves, pushing hiv/aids, syringes on the side walk, so clearly activity is going on, you go anywhere where people are poor, and you will get the same thing. Seattle has all of that, so some rappers are mentioning it in their lyrics, what they see everyday, almost every city on the left coast has all of that. What went wrong was when people started dieing because of colors, that shit is ridiculous.

Apr 25, 2002
Mr. Samos said:
But im sure we all have major differences because when I think of gangster I think of the dapper gone teflon don John Gotti, New York, you know, not some oppressed poverty-stricken black male or hispanic, or where Im at, vietnamese. Poverty is another big ass issue, poverty is pushing the same drama we see everyday, people are on the streets selling themselves, pushing hiv/aids, syringes on the side walk, so clearly activity is going on, you go anywhere where people are poor, and you will get the same thing. Seattle has all of that, so some rappers are mentioning it in their lyrics, what they see everyday, almost every city on the left coast has all of that. What went wrong was when people started dieing because of colors, that shit is ridiculous.
Yeah that is a good point about differing people's ideas of exactly what a gangster is.

But I think what this post (which I didn't make, I'm just trying to help that guy articulate it) is trying to get at through a more objective, comparison approach is that if you look at the numbers for poverty as well, Seattle area along with most other West Coast cities is way way lower than the cities that produce rap music.

Everybody is on the guy who started this thread, but honestly I can relate to him because out here in the Midwest, when I tell people about Seattle rap music and how amazing it is etc. I get kind of a smirk and a "yeah right" sort of response, and I think those sentiments are shaped by the image (and simple fact) that Seattle has much much fewer poor people (esp. Afro-Americans) per capita than the cities in the East, Midwest and South. The image of Seattle being a place of a bunch of white coffee drinkers, though of course somewhat shortsighted, is the pervasive image people in the rest of the country have.

Now how does this affect rap music? Theoretically it shouldn't, just because there are less people with the classic rapper's background doesn't mean they don't exist, so I have no problem with Seattle rappers talking about how gangster it is, if their reppin' my city and it's good then I LOVE IT, but I do think people's perceptions of Seattle (based on the stated facts that 206 Thuggin brought up), whether these people be from somewhere else or even Seattle tiself, certainly effect people's likelihood of getting into the local music. I'm saying they go into listening to the CDs with a closed mind because they don't perceive Seattle to be the way some of you are saying it is.

There could be hope though, I saw rap from Anchorage, Alaska on BET the other night. But even there, Joker might be benefitting from a more 'novelty' type of deal.

Apr 25, 2002
^^ Nah, this thread is stupid. Every major city and plenty of outskirt areas have poverty neighborhoods that can be unsafe but generally speaking.... Don't believe the hype.

Apr 25, 2002
Sick Wid It said:
^^ Nah, this thread is stupid. Every major city and plenty of outskirt areas have poverty neighborhoods that can be unsafe but generally speaking.... Don't believe the hype.
Then why do people from Cali (where I believe you're from) take so much pride in how 'gangsta' it is down there and not take the rap from up North in WA seriously b/c they perceive it as soft?

Apr 25, 2002
How does the crime reputation of your city have anything to do with how real you are? "Every neighborhood got a trigga happy nigga...who dont give a fuck about puttin two in ya liver" ~ Celly Cel