Is ignorance bliss?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
Do dumb people have the mystery of life figured out? They don't know and don't care to know a lot of things. In effect, they don't stress off shit and live simply, wanting for nothing but to exist the next day. That complacency is frowned upon, but isn't that the entire goal of historical religions like Buddhism?

Forrest Gump was just a movie, I know. But in watching that movie, I can't help but wonder if more of us didn't know or play by the rules and conditions that society builds for us, if we'd actually be more successful at living due to our ignorance of the status quo. No rules and regs means we just do whatever we feel without being afraid people will point and laugh at us. Usually the most innovative and amazing ideas start out as things people call dumb and point and laugh at.

Nov 21, 2005
www.revver.com
I think it''s good to have knowledge , knowledge is power.

You can't help but feel more relaxed when you know the truth about things.

I know what you mean about doing crazy things.. and worrying about what people think,...

that's another thing.. I don't care what other people think. What people think is normal.. is what some other man.. came up with and said was normal.

You shouldn't follow any mans philosophy.. but take what you have learned.. about life.. and form your own philosophy.

But I don;t think ignorance is bliss.. I think it's dangerous.

Knowledge is power.. and the people on top of the pyramid... fear of what would happen is.. everyone woke up.. and gained the secret knowledge...

thanks

Dec 18, 2002
Not so much ignorance...but many people believe they are intelligent because they "know" things. Understanding the difference between wisdom and knowledge is important. I work in critical care at a hospital, in my experience I see people who lead simple and devoted lives, who do not blabber on about politics or law or society's ills, and have a genuine personality and calmness about them that makes me look up to them know they are possibly on their death bed but it does not seem to matter. I also take care of people who are dying and want to know everything about their condition and try to control their situation and are constantly upset and rude.

I think there is a fine line between knowledge and wisdom, where not having knowledge can be either good or bad, and wisdom is what makes someone who they are and gives them the ability to define what is good or bad information, things they don't need to know and don't need defining them or how they think and feel about the world.

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
Not so much ignorance...but many people believe they are intelligent because they "know" things. Understanding the difference between wisdom and knowledge is important. I work in critical care at a hospital, in my experience I see people who lead simple and devoted lives, who do not blabber on about politics or law or society's ills, and have a genuine personality and calmness about them that makes me look up to them know they are possibly on their death bed but it does not seem to matter. I also take care of people who are dying and want to know everything about their condition and try to control their situation and are constantly upset and rude.
this is the kind of stuff i was getting at. sometimes it seems that the smarter you are, the more you limit yourself and the more miserable you become. "smart" people rule out all kinds of options because they overthink them and automatically decide "well, it just won't work".

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
this is the kind of stuff i was getting at. sometimes it seems that the smarter you are, the more you limit yourself and the more miserable you become. "smart" people rule out all kinds of options because they overthink them and automatically decide "well, it just won't work".
Over-thinking isn't the offspring of high intellect.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
Do dumb people have the mystery of life figured out? They don't know and don't care to know a lot of things. In effect, they don't stress off shit and live simply, wanting for nothing but to exist the next day. That complacency is frowned upon, but isn't that the entire goal of historical religions like Buddhism?
I'm not a Buddhist or anything, but I definitely wouldn't say that there entire goal is to be ignorant of their surroundings and not care. I would say that they find a deeper and more fitting understanding of the world that allows them to live a calm, "zenful" life.

The way I understand it, it's a very great way to cope and make sense of such a mysterious world of chaos and frictions. I was raised Catholic, but I started to read about Zen and Buddhism at a young age and I always thought it made way more sense. Now I don't ever go to church, but I do meditate all the time and my understanding of life and spirituality have been highly influenced by Buddhism.

And about the topic at hand, all I know is that being ignorant can never be a good thing. Understanding how nature and the world works is necessary to everyday life. It's difficult to stay happy and calm when you keep learning about how fucked up the world is, but you can do it.

Nov 24, 2003
You can't help but feel more relaxed when you know the truth about things.

Do you really know the truth?

You are referencing your own "intelligence" when answering the question. You are aware enough to seek out the "truth about things". What if you were not?

You don't worry about anything other than what you are gonna eat next, and where you are gonna shit it out. No politics, conception of murder or any of the depressing news stories we see on the daily; and you didn't know any different...Would your life be happier?

IMO the statement Ignorance is Blith holds true. Most super intelligent people I have met are not happy people because they live their lives without equal companionship, something like if the average person was forced to live their life with 7th graders as peers.

Dec 25, 2003
IMO the statement Ignorance is Blith holds true. Most super intelligent people I have met are not happy people because they live their lives without equal companionship, something like if the average person was forced to live their life with 7th graders as peers.
I have this problem with women.

I learned to just deal.

But autistic and 'simple' people have a more stress free life, no doubt about it.

Talus

Sicc OG
May 14, 2002
bliss is whatever you want it to be...
When i realize how truley ignorant I am in a certain subject its amazing how my mind opens up and just wants to soak up all this new found knowledge.
I believe true ignorance is nothing but that.
But when you realize you are ignorant then one of two things can happen your a carpet can be pulled right out from under you or you can blossom and grow from it.

May 24, 2007
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who feel, and those who think. of course we all feel, but there are people who spend most of their time keeping their mind on things that make them feel, and others who spend their time thinking about things that make them think deeply. Feelers dont examine the deepers mysteries of life as often as thinkers do, but thinkers ignore their own feelings more often than feelers, making it harder for them to identify their own emotions.