Is ATL - Uncle Sam's Curse a classic?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
THAT CD
REAL TRUES PAYING DUES
IS THE ONLY ALBUM I LIKE OF THERES
BUT IT GETS W ANY ABOVE THE LAW ALBUMS
EVEN UNCLE SAMS CURSE "IMO"
AND BLACK SUPERMAN WAS THE SHIT BACCK THEN
I THINK THE OTHER SONG WAS I PUT G IN GANGSTA
NVR KNEW THEY WERE FROM HOUSTON THOW
Real Trues Paying Dues has a number of tracks that are classic, but it has a lot of forgettable ones too. The first 4 ATL releases are on another level, and that's no disrespect to Mass 187

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
G-funk to me was a natural progression of the west coast sound. Technically, what was the first G-Funk song? NWA's Always into somethin', right? People also tend to overlook Compton's Most Wanted role in G-Funk. A lot of those beats that DJ Unknown was producin' had a hella layed back, funky sound. All that was missing was the synths. So I don't think anyone stole it from anybody. Somebody, for whatever reason, HAD to get credit for it though.
I wouldn't call Always Into Something the first G-Funk song, it had the synth line with the heavy portamento effect, but that was already present on Dopeman, and while funkier than Dopeman, it didn't really have the P-Funk bass lines of the kind that were on The Chronic and Black Mafia Life

Also, Vocally Pimpin came 2 months after Efil4Zaggin, and it was going in the same direction:

And in the same time Digital Underground were already employing the P-Funk samples that would define much of g-funk

And in the end, Black Mafia Life also came out less than 2 months after The Chronic came out and it had tracks that one can definitely call g-funk on it.

Note that The Chronic itself is probably only half g-funk under the stricter definitions of the term and that ATL's version of g-funk is quite unique and nobody has ever replicated, and as a result it sits a little bit outside of the center of the genre, as defined by the majority of releases in the mid 90s.

So, as with many things, it is hard to say who invented what, it is often very hard to set clear boundaries between person X's contribution and person Y's contribution even by the people who were around at the time, let alone by us who weren't there in the studio to see it, but I am willing to accept Cold 187um's version of the story, especially given that I haven't seen an interview with Dre where he says "No, Cold 187um is lying", although I may just no have seen it, correct me if I am wrong

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

G-funk to me was a natural progression of the west coast sound. Technically, what was the first G-Funk song? NWA's Always into somethin', right? People also tend to overlook Compton's Most Wanted role in G-Funk. A lot of those beats that DJ Unknown was producin' had a hella layed back, funky sound. All that was missing was the synths. So I don't think anyone stole it from anybody. Somebody, for whatever reason, HAD to get credit for it though.
I totally agree with this. You have to add Quik to the equation as well, Quik is the Name and Way 2 Fonky both have g-funk elements as well, plus use a lot of live instrumentation...

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I totally agree with this. You have to add Quik to the equation as well, Quik is the Name and Way 2 Fonky both have g-funk elements as well, plus use a lot of live instrumentation...
True, and those are 1991 and mid 1992 releases

cali1

Sicc OG
Feb 5, 2006
Living Like Hustlers, Black Mafia Life, Uncle Sams Curse, Time Will Reveal and Legends are all classic albums to me. Cold 187um's production from 96-98 was so fucking dope. I love that eerie, mellow g-funk sound, to me it is the aural manifestation of southern California. Reminds me of driving down to Venice Beach in the summer after hitting Roscoes for breakfast...
This is still one of the coldest tracks Hutch did out of that era. Shit still makes me jump outta my fuckin skin 2 this day lol

All Over A Ho

cali1

Sicc OG
Feb 5, 2006
dr. dre stole off of Above the Law? I dont believe that shit man. None of there music sounds alike. I think thats just some hater shit

Black Mafia Life was everything The Chronic wanted 2 be but wasn't. If u listen 2 both albums back 2 back you'll feel like you're havin a deja vu moment when you hear songs that sound just like each other. A lot of people thought Eazy E's Real Muthafuckin G's did Dre in but, Cold187 and Kokane broke it all down on this song right here....