Is ATL - Uncle Sam's Curse a classic?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
LOOK FOR ANOTHER GROUP CALLED MASS 187 OR 187 MASS
CANT REMEMBER THE NAME CORRECTLY
ITS THE CD W GANGSTA STRUT ON IT
ANOTHER CLASSIC CD IMO
I HAD BOTH UNCLE SAMS CURSE AND THAT ONE AT THE SAME TIME BACK IN THE 90'S
I THOUGHT THAT MASS 187 WAS HARDER
CHECK IT OUT IF YOU HEVENT ALREADY

Apr 25, 2002
Did you really have to ask? I thought that was just common knowledge that it's classic lol. . .
To you and me it's common knowledge that the album is a classic, but I was just wondering what others would say about it. And possibly it would bring up a good above the law discussion.

May 9, 2002
LOOK FOR ANOTHER GROUP CALLED MASS 187 OR 187 MASS
CANT REMEMBER THE NAME CORRECTLY
ITS THE CD W GANGSTA STRUT ON IT
ANOTHER CLASSIC CD IMO
I HAD BOTH UNCLE SAMS CURSE AND THAT ONE AT THE SAME TIME BACK IN THE 90'S
I THOUGHT THAT MASS 187 WAS HARDER
CHECK IT OUT IF YOU HEVENT ALREADY
Mentioning Mass 187 in the same breath as ATL is a slap in the face. Are you kidding me?

Feb 14, 2004
THAT CD
REAL TRUES PAYING DUES
IS THE ONLY ALBUM I LIKE OF THERES
BUT IT GETS W ANY ABOVE THE LAW ALBUMS
EVEN UNCLE SAMS CURSE "IMO"
AND BLACK SUPERMAN WAS THE SHIT BACCK THEN
I THINK THE OTHER SONG WAS I PUT G IN GANGSTA
NVR KNEW THEY WERE FROM HOUSTON THOW

May 11, 2002
^^I would say "yes". But other people have different opinions.

I believe Above The Law & Kokane had the blueprint for the G-Funk sound. Dre and Death Row stole it and prefected it.

A.T.L. is classic through and through.

Dec 25, 2003

I believe Above The Law & Kokane had the blueprint for the G-Funk sound. Dre and Death Row stole it and prefected it.

All that sums it up rite there!!! That the 100% TRUTH & FACT!!! They innovated the LA g-funk sound not Dre; dudes u can look up their interviews (dubcnn) where they speak on all that... Just like my dude Codeine say; we dont give a fuck if Dre is the west coast icon; he did fucked ppl over til this day (look happened wit The DOC!!!); all that shows that he doesnt give a flyin fuck about whatever they be hypin up "bringin the west back" LOL!!! That has done over-played now; the west in the mainstream level has perished sad rite??? Regardless of what Dre did whatever he accomplished from the Chronic to the Chronic 2001; all reel west coast ryders who grew expriencing the death row vs. ruthless all can correspond wit each other that Ruthless exposed Death Row til both empires fell......

Apr 25, 2002
The thing with black mafia life is that one song sounds like nuthin but a g thang and one sounds like let me ride off the chronic. Dre straight ripped those off?

Apr 6, 2010
Black mafia life is better....
Black Mafia life's production is crazy as fuck! USC's is definitely more objectively "musical", but BML is sooooooo multilayered with samples. I hear something new everytime I listen to that album. I'm even surprised that got so many samples to sound so good together.

Apr 6, 2010

G-funk to me was a natural progression of the west coast sound. Technically, what was the first G-Funk song? NWA's Always into somethin', right? People also tend to overlook Compton's Most Wanted role in G-Funk. A lot of those beats that DJ Unknown was producin' had a hella layed back, funky sound. All that was missing was the synths. So I don't think anyone stole it from anybody. Somebody, for whatever reason, HAD to get credit for it though.

Aug 24, 2002
Snoop has a deal with Priority where he can get them to reissue a classic title from their back catalogue, presented by him, remastered, I'm hoping this will be one of them, should sell well cause it's been out of print for years.

May 11, 2002
^^^Priority had nothing to do with ANY Above The Law releases.

Black Mafia LIfe & Living Like Hustlers are still in print.

Epic was "Living Like Hustlers" & Warner Bros. was "Black Mafia Life">

Uncle Sam's Curse was Ruthless/Relativity/RED. They could re-release it if they want... But wont.

Apr 20, 2005
dr. dre stole off of Above the Law? I dont believe that shit man. None of there music sounds alike. I think thats just some hater shit

Apr 25, 2002
dr. dre stole off of Above the Law? I dont believe that shit man. None of there music sounds alike. I think thats just some hater shit
you cant see hear the commonalities in the production?

speakin of that, i remember an interview in the 90's with ATL and there was a mention of the similarities and possible biting. different words may have been used but that was the basic road it was taking.

may have been on rapcity back in the Joe Cleezy and Big Liz days.........the good ol' days......