hyphy movement(bay influence in the hip hop nation)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 27, 2006
its funny how the hyphy movement kicked off, ..........................then all of a sudden snap music turned into a movement, then all these other movements poppin off left and right, what yall think?

May 7, 2002
I think that people in the Bay think they started everything. It has nothing to do with the Bay, the mediea began to label different sub-genre's of rap, as "movements". Whats your point?

Feb 27, 2006
5ive1en said:
I think that people in the Bay think they started everything. It has nothing to do with the Bay, the mediea began to label different sub-genre's of rap, as "movements". Whats your point?
Ok if you can name any sub genres(besides crunk, bounce, east coast style, mid west style, west coast gangsta style) before the hyphy movement kicked off; i will then respect your opinion.

my POINT is, what "THE BAY STARTED", is a new era where cats are looking more at whats going on with the culture in the streets. When gangsta rap started, everybody started doin the gangsta rap, same thing with crunk, cats all wanted to mimic the crunk style. But, what , "THE BAY STARTED" was, "hey we aint crunk we hyphy over here!, this is what we doin!" So i believe that sparked something in rappers minds across the nation, like Atl cats started sayin," aw we snapin now!", and NY cats,"aw we chicken noodle soupin out here B" and so on.(i.e. memphis buckin).

But what im trying to get at is cats all over the nation want to see how others is doing it on other citites and hoods. And we idenify with each other with music. So do ya research kid and learn about the Harlem reneisannce and you'll see how it relates to whats going on now. The reason why the harlem thing died down was because Harlem cats didn't respect the poetry and music coming out the south at the time because they felt they were dumbing it down and didnt understand thats how they talked and they were living. SO The only thing the bay can do different is respect and except all the other movements coming out so new ideas can keep flourshing all around and everyone can come together.
IM DONE

May 7, 2002
king of the O said:
my POINT is, what "THE BAY STARTED", is a new era where cats are looking more at whats going on with the culture in the streets.

with crunk, cats all wanted to mimic the crunk style.

But, what , "THE BAY STARTED" was, "hey we aint crunk we hyphy over here!, this is what we doin!" IM DONE
You just contridicted yourself bro. You said the BAY started a new era where cats are looking at more than just music, but crunk came before Hyphy. And there are plenty of rappers along with E-40 who even state "Hyphy is the Bay's verison of crunk". So if anything, cats in the bay looked at what cats in the atl were doing with Crunk, the style of music, the club scene, the dances that came with it, and created a way to market our own culture, and labeled it the Hyphy Movement.

Point is, if you are going to make assumptions about other areas biting the bay's idea of marketing a local culture associated with the music, then I say give credit to CRUNK. The Bay was the 2nd to do it, then other areas saw it, and were like "ok, we can market our own culture and dances as well, since thats what these other areas are doing to get radio and video play".

Sep 17, 2005
Are you kiddin? Hyphy didnt start nothing....... and as far as all these new post 2000 so called "movements" the H-town/screw movement blew the fuck up as far as an underground movement because all the new artists in that genre became household names a couple years before Hyphy. And that shit was steadily planted in the underground for over 10 yrs. Sorry dude Hyphy didnt start nothin and it aint even gonna blow up anyways, let the truth be told....

Mar 1, 2006
Everybody knows that rap music was created in the bay. The wheel, fire and gunpowder were also created in the bay. The bay area has the toughest gangsters, the best weed and the finest chicks. Everyone also knows that yellow school busses were first rode in the bay. Dreds were first worn in the bay. The cure for cancer, hiv and the common cold have all been discovered in the bay. No one wants to give the bay any credit, because the bay is all-powerful and a threat to the US government. OH MY GOD!!! THE BAY IS BACK!!! GO STUPID AND ACT LIKE A RETARDED DUMBASS RIDING ON A YELLOW BUS TRYING TO GET TO YOU AND THAT BOOTY

Aug 24, 2006
OG_Carl_Weather said:
Are you kiddin? Hyphy didnt start nothing....... and as far as all these new post 2000 so called "movements" the H-town/screw movement blew the fuck up as far as an underground movement because all the new artists in that genre became household names a couple years before Hyphy. And that shit was steadily planted in the underground for over 10 yrs. Sorry dude Hyphy didnt start nothin and it aint even gonna blow up anyways, let the truth be told....
yea but u forget that the words inbetween the ( ) also say BAY INFLUENCE and we been INDEPENDENT as LONG as anyone in the states no matter what type of music it is we been pushin

Feb 13, 2006
^^^^agreed INDEPENDENT...THE BAY is the home for underground in ma opinon....and HYPHY is not the bay area version of KRUNK... HYPHY is the bay area verison of fuckn HYPHY......we didnt take krunk and put a bay twist on it.....i hate it wen artist like e-40 and keak say that term....."hyphy is the bay area version krunk" no offense to 40 and keak but they usually the ones to say that like on bet and shyt but yeah dont forget that hyphy has been around for a min...its jus starting to blow up this year...07 is gon be a hitter year for the bay jus cause all the artist singn to majors now... jus ma opinion

May 7, 2002
^^ I think HOUSTON is the home for undground rap. Their artists push 50-80k independetly. Some Bay artists struggle to push even 10k, well known artists too, San Quinn, Keak, etc. In Houston, they have a much greater market for underground rap out there and support their artists a lot more.

Apr 21, 2006
i think when 40 n keak be sayn that hyphy is the bay area version of crunk, its to compare that shit to something thats more known so people get an understanding of it. jus bcuz they saying that dont mean they saying hyphy n shit was formed off crunk, its just to giv an understanding to the peoples that dont knoe.

Jun 18, 2006
king of the O said:
So i believe that sparked something in rappers minds across the nation, like Atl cats started sayin," aw we snapin now!", and NY cats,"aw we chicken noodle soupin out here B" and so on.(i.e. memphis buckin).
What?... naw mane.. Atlanta been making up lil dances for YEARS, and Memphis cats have been Jookin/Buckin for about 15 years.... shit ain't new.

Apr 24, 2006
king of the O said:
Ok if you can name any sub genres(besides crunk, bounce, east coast style, mid west style, west coast gangsta style) before the hyphy movement kicked off; i will then respect your opinion.

my POINT is, what "THE BAY STARTED", is a new era where cats are looking more at whats going on with the culture in the streets. When gangsta rap started, everybody started doin the gangsta rap, same thing with crunk, cats all wanted to mimic the crunk style. But, what , "THE BAY STARTED" was, "hey we aint crunk we hyphy over here!, this is what we doin!" So i believe that sparked something in rappers minds across the nation, like Atl cats started sayin," aw we snapin now!", and NY cats,"aw we chicken noodle soupin out here B" and so on.(i.e. memphis buckin).

But what im trying to get at is cats all over the nation want to see how others is doing it on other citites and hoods. And we idenify with each other with music. So do ya research kid and learn about the Harlem reneisannce and you'll see how it relates to whats going on now. The reason why the harlem thing died down was because Harlem cats didn't respect the poetry and music coming out the south at the time because they felt they were dumbing it down and didnt understand thats how they talked and they were living. SO The only thing the bay can do different is respect and except all the other movements coming out so new ideas can keep flourshing all around and everyone can come together.
IM DONE
you're right and wrong with the same argument...you're right with the Harlem Renaissance but what you're missing is that the West Coast Jazz "movement" kicked off during this same time with so many people moving west and settling in the Bay...this started the Fillmore Jazz era which probably brought more recognition to the Bay, it's people, culture and lifestyle more than hyphy has...

But on rap level, i don't think there wil be a "movement" as strong as Gangsta Rap was/and still is. More than any other movement in hip hop history, Gangsta Rap has probably had the most influence. Just look at all the people you would see "C-Walkin" and not even knowing what it actually meant. So its' hard to just OVERLOOK WC gangsta rap.

Jan 16, 2004
king of the O said:
its funny how the hyphy movement kicked off, ..........................then all of a sudden snap music turned into a movement, then all these other movements poppin off left and right, what yall think?

Realtalk niggas is supa gay out there.

What defines a movement tho? That screw shit wasn't a movement it was just a new style added to this hip-hop shit, but isn't that what hyphy is?