How much would you pay for a feature..?? how much should homeboys charge homeboys???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

CHINO

Sicc OG
Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't pay anything for a feature. If I were to put out an album, only people on it would be my homeboys from the set.

Feb 7, 2011
I wouldn't pay anything for a feature. If I were to put out an album, only people on it would be my homeboys from the set.
I simply said fuck it and got a 20 track 100% solo in the works along with a collabo that has nothin but homies from my label on..

I ain in it tryna get rich tho, I think thats another thing that homiez and rappers in general make a mistake of doin,,,, thinking its gonna pay the bills out the gate..

CHINO

Sicc OG
Jun 17, 2009
I simply said fuck it and got a 20 track 100% solo in the works along with a collabo that has nothin but homies from my label on..

I ain in it tryna get rich tho, I think thats another thing that homiez and rappers in general make a mistake of doin,,,, thinking its gonna pay the bills out the gate..
That's right, a solo gots to be a solo, not a compilation and going completely solo is rare, but a good idea. Main reason why I would want my homies on rather than any other known artist is so we can all come up together as one, do our own thang, and get our views, lifestyle, etc out there for ears to hear and brains to soak in. And I agree on how some heads expect to make a living off rapping. The chances of that happening is very low.

May 16, 2002
I keep reading and hearing that a lot of features on an album = a compilation. Yet, a compilation is a bunch of different songs featuring different artist, but the difference on an album is regardless of features, there is one artist (the main artist) on every song. That's just me though. I don't like to hear one repetitive voice over and over for 60 minutes or so. I like variety which in return, if I like the flow I will look for that person's album, so features are a good thing IMO.

Maybe I'm just feel that way due to the fact that when I listen to a classic album like The Chronic, which had a lot of features and nobody labeled it a compilation. And even though, it's considered a CLASSIC. That's more than enough proof that there are some people (Dr. Dre) who can craft an album so good it goes right under peoples noses due to them loving it so much. Maybe people need to step it up in more than their flow?

And here is how I feel about paying for features (which I think inspired this thread.)

http://siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?t=376426

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Not everyone is a Dr. Dre. To try to make something in the vain of The Chronic today would require a lot of resources and connections, which your average fruity loops rapper simply doesn't have access to. So yeah, I'll continue to have doubts about new albums I see with a couple dozens features. How many classics album were featured filled in the history of hip hop? Stack them up against classic albums with minimal features and I think you'll see they are the exception, not the rule.

Oct 9, 2008
I know for a fact when i was heavy into buying cds i would by them for features alone! As an artist i know it helps bring you attention as well! You just gots to weigh the benefits of putting your money into features as opposed to promotion.. I honestly can't think of one "homeboy" rapper thats going to help an artist with sales of records outside of California! Real shit!

Aug 22, 2009
i feel like if you really want a feature on your album and really want a specific artist you would pay whatever it takes to have em on ya album.. but some folks you pay what they ask and at times they come weaker than you on your own shit bruh.. just saying that if a collab is going down of course "real reconize real" and know who u fucking with but also make sure you get your moneys worth and maybe drop 2 tracks.. and both yall get a copy of the tracks .. by having a feature you might have there fan base cheak your music out or peep you u out.. im just saying we should consider our genre of music is hard to come up on (homeboy music) and we should help each other out with cheaper prices maybe.. so we all can benefit from it and than maybe we get our names out there that way ..

May 16, 2002
Not everyone is a Dr. Dre. To try to make something in the vain of The Chronic today would require a lot of resources and connections, which your average fruity loops rapper simply doesn't have access to. So yeah, I'll continue to have doubts about new albums I see with a couple dozens features. How many classics album were featured filled in the history of hip hop? Stack them up against classic albums with minimal features and I think you'll see they are the exception, not the rule.

I agree 100%, but I was referring more to the features actually having talent. And a good producer that knows what he's doing (in short.)

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
@ sergyo
chronic was basically a compilation but its known as a solo album thats why

and to be on subject game recognize game. if you dont know an artist but want him on you should expect to pay a reasonable price. lets not factor in gas.lets keep it real. not many rappers will ever do a solo album just talk like they do.

my self included at one point i was really trying to drop one but that was like in 09. now i have no time table because honestly i dont have time with work/3 kids wife/coaching/smoking weed and being a lazy ass.

so lets say i start asking trajik 1 or gemini for a verse they do it because we on a sum what cool level even tho we never met. they do a verse take time and drop a 16 or a hook. and my lazy ass doesnt put it out since 2009.. 1st off shame on me i look like a fuckin chump second they just wasted their time and a 16 that could have went to a project that will be out.....

now if this keeps happening they will be like hmmmm imma have to charge these bastards now because im doing free work that wont see the light of day.

i can see that as a reason to charge.

would i ever charge ?? probably not.... unless i sold units(a decent #) and had a buzz then again its all about publishing if i get to level where i sell and make money i would bust out paper work......

im currently doing verses for free just supply the weed / filtered water/ soft toilet paper in your bathroom so i can wipe my ass like a gentleman.. or if we do it thru email its all good...

but really im with the i do a song u do a song kinda deal barter system type stuff

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
This subject is old and played out... First off no man can tell the next man what he should and shouldnt charge for a verse. If an artist thinks for what ever reason he should get $1,000 or $1,000,000 a verse then thats what he charges. Their aint no homeboy price cap...lol. If you dont think Tito B is worth $500 then dont get him on a track. Simple! If you get a feature on your album the whole point is to get that persons fan base. If you dont have a name and Tito B does then why shouldnt you pay? This game is not "FREE". iT COST TO FLOSS! any artist who has a name put in time, money and a whole lot of effort to get to where they are. Once you get to that level then you can charge too or even get free verses. What does Titto B get for being on your album? Homie love? lol You get to say you got Tito B on your album and he gets to spend his time recording for you.... Im just useing Tito B as an example but it goes for all rappers. Invest in yourself, invest in your own projects. Just cuzz you say your a "Homeboy" doesnt mean you get a free ride. Who gave Tito B a free ride? Who gave any of these artist a free ride? No one so why should you get one? Im not talkin to any one person but in general. Muthafuckas charge what they want and if you dont like it dont pay for it and see how well your album sells with a bunch of free verses with homies on it. Just my two cents!
very well said sir!

I wouldn't mind paying a well established talented artist for a verse at all but like anything else I'm going to lean towards the better bang for my buck. In example if I can get say Ryda J Klyde and Young Ren on my album for under $500 I sure as fuck ain't paying Tito B no $500 just based on Ryda N Ren both are way better than Tito (in my opinion). Then again I wouldn't pay Tito if I shitted out hundreds.... I don't feel I should pay a homeboy rapper that I'm better then. At the end of the day it's like Savi said though Game recognize game.
Ryda & Ren couldnt get $200 for a verse! from me anyway! There's only a handful of artists I would pay such money for.

I keep reading and hearing that a lot of features on an album = a compilation. Yet, a compilation is a bunch of different songs featuring different artist, but the difference on an album is regardless of features, there is one artist (the main artist) on every song. That's just me though. I don't like to hear one repetitive voice over and over for 60 minutes or so. I like variety which in return, if I like the flow I will look for that person's album, so features are a good thing IMO.

Maybe I'm just feel that way due to the fact that when I listen to a classic album like The Chronic, which had a lot of features and nobody labeled it a compilation. And even though, it's considered a CLASSIC. That's more than enough proof that there are some people (Dr. Dre) who can craft an album so good it goes right under peoples noses due to them loving it so much. Maybe people need to step it up in more than their flow?

And here is how I feel about paying for features (which I think inspired this thread.)

http://siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?t=376426
I agree with Gemini! I dont care if you have no features, or 20 features, as long as its dope is all that matters!