how much is copper per lb in your area?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 9, 2005
I literally have about 60 pounds worth of pennies in an old water jug...from back when they used to use glass for them. Do you think I would make more money by selling them the a recycler as pure copper weight, or going to Safeway and using Coinstar to get the .01 cent per coin street value form them ?

X
____

$240.00 ! Hmmm...sounds like a swell idea !

Mar 24, 2006
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Three air conditioning units were stolen from a church this week.

The Rev. Rev. Emanuel A. Johnson said the units were taken off the roof of Mt. Vernon Missionary Baptist Church at 3935 Prospect Ave. late Thursday or early Friday.

A similar theft was reported on Sunday at Emmanuel Mega Mart at 3510 Prospect Ave. In that case 10 air conditioners were stolen from the roof.

"When I saw that they had taken more of them up the street, I'm thinking, 'They're going wild,'" Johnson said.

KMBC's Jim Flink that the units weigh at least 300 pounds each, so the thieves are probably using heavy machinery to get them off the roof.

Police suspect the thieves are taking the units to sell the copper as scrap, which is valuable right now.

"The sad part of it is, these are really expensive units, and for tens of thousands of dollars in damage, they might get $5 worth of copper out of them," Capt. Rich Lockhart said.

Lockhart said more thefts of air conditioning units are reported during the summer months.

"Be on the lookout because they're coming up Prospect and they aren't going to stop," Johnson said.

Lockhart said he wants scrap metal sellers to be more responsible.

Johnson is asking anyone has information in the case to call the TIPS Hot Line at 816-474-TIPS. Callers can remain anonymous.

i swear, i always see some shit on tha news about stolen air conditioners, atleast 3 times a week.

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
I love these stories

DETROIT -- A man was killed Monday morning on Detroit's west side while trying to steal copper wire, according to police.

The man tried to steal the copper from a live electrical transformer at Longfellow and Long streets.

Police said the man was climbing up a ladder against an abandoned apartment building to reach the utility pole when he was electrocuted.

Police said another man was injured just a few blocks away when he fell from a light pole while attempting to steal copper wire.

There is no word on his injuries.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
LOL exactly

thank you.
cats in here might not have seen that episode or dont watch the wire.

the wire has already exposed any and all copper wire stealers as crackheads with a mission.

you live in a big city, copper wire stealing aint goin down.
andin SD they removed all copper pots from graves.

Dec 25, 2003
My little brother is a contractor, he collects and sells copper from jobsites.

My Uncle owns a window company, and he sells the aluminum and other types of metal he gets at work.

They both make some good little side money doing it.

Fuck learning about some dumb shit from a TV series. Handle your biz. Money is money.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
money might be money, but buying your purchases in pennies is as embarrassing as holding up the line with your WIC purchases...

i think hustling copper might be along the same lines but if you work in the field where copper is just there, thats different

Feb 17, 2005
MOREBASS said:
I literally have about 60 pounds worth of pennies in an old water jug...from back when they used to use glass for them. Do you think I would make more money by selling them the a recycler as pure copper weight, or going to Safeway and using Coinstar to get the .01 cent per coin street value form them ?

X
____

$240.00 ! Hmmm...sounds like a swell idea !

The monetary value of pennies and nickels is less than what the metal is worth so they make it out of zinc plated with copper or nickel. Actually nickels might be all zinc I'm not sure.

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
HiT-2-TiMeS said:
The monetary value of pennies and nickels is less than what the metal is worth so they make it out of zinc plated with copper or nickel. Actually nickels might be all zinc I'm not sure.
So basically your post made no sense.

Feb 17, 2005
Quick said:
So basically your post made no sense.
Ok jackass either way his plan wont work. Actually looks like the value of the metal in a nickel is 9.7 cents. So no luck with the pennies but if you get some nickels melt that shit down!

Oct 21, 2006
Gas One said:
money might be money, but buying your purchases in pennies is as embarrassing as holding up the line with your WIC purchases...
that shit had me rolling hahaha

I'm not tryna knock people selling their leftover supplies, or even scavanging to survive. (I think it's ridiculous people are forced to scavange through other people's trash just to survive. One man's trash is another man's treasure.) You right, money is money. Im not tryna clown. I was just laughing at how even on the wire they feature dopefiends looking for scrap metal.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
HiT-2-TiMeS said:
Ok jackass either way his plan wont work. Actually looks like the value of the metal in a nickel is 9.7 cents. So no luck with the pennies but if you get some nickels melt that shit down!
The only thing about that is how much would it cost to pay for the heat needed to melt down the nickels.

Mar 5, 2007
Ghostly said:
been collecting from my work everyday for 3weeks now.. got over 150lbs maybe more of that shit.. they jackin me by these messed up perhour wages while the same company on the east coast are makin literally twice what were makin out in cali. so im doin that shit back. copper running 2.80 lb out here $$$..im gettin ready to cash in.. what about in your area?
They just made a new type of law or restriction for this type of thing in Phoenix....They had on the news the other day about some fool that had to get rescued from the top of a telephone pole. Turns out he was up there trying to steal copper wire. lol I guess this is a bigger problem out here from muthafuccas stealing this shit from construction sites and whatnot. So they said they are restricting people from being able to sell it. supposedly only people with certain type of credentials can sell it and also some type of limit on how much you can actually sale.

Dec 9, 2005
Gas One said:

Haha...you know they don't use those little tear out check things anymore. They have WIC Credit Cards...so it looks as if you're buying with an actual credit card, when really its a WIC card. I think the biggest givaway now is the combination of Similac, Safeway Apple Juice, and Kix plain cereal. LOL

HiT-2-TiMeS said:

Haha...I was just clownin around man.

May 9, 2002
mrtonguetwista said:
I love these stories

DETROIT -- A man was killed Monday morning on Detroit's west side while trying to steal copper wire, according to police.

The man tried to steal the copper from a live electrical transformer at Longfellow and Long streets.

Police said the man was climbing up a ladder against an abandoned apartment building to reach the utility pole when he was electrocuted.

Police said another man was injured just a few blocks away when he fell from a light pole while attempting to steal copper wire.

There is no word on his injuries.
This has happened in Seattle too.