How many of your believe this?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
I read this over at FutureProducers.com. How many of you agree with this?

It's actually not possible to make hip-hop unless you have an MPC. Not an opinion or anything, it's a proven fact. You HAVE to have an MPC if you want to make beats, cause it gives all your sounds a dirty, greasy, all around grimy sound.

Or Fruity Loops. Gotta have Fruity Loops.
I honestly don't agree with that. I've come across some people who have made some great music without an MPC (or Fruity Loops).

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
MPC's are known to give a grimy, low-bit, crunchy, rustic effect to drum samples. This was relevant with the MPC 60 or even the SP 1200 back in the day. If you listen to, Jay-Z's Dead President's for example, that entire track was done on an SP 1200. All of the drums were sampled and the producer couldn't play bass, so they filtered the bass from the sample and EQ'ed out all the Hi's so it just had a Lowpass on it, and they layered that to give it bass. The MPC 60 sort of just connected with R&B/Rap Producers alike, maybe because a lot of them didn't have real instruments, allowing them to take whatever sample they wanted and use it, chop it up, whatever, to get the most out of what they had. Anyways, I'm going off topic a bit, but the bottom line is that these samplers gave drums a raw, crunchy, sound. This became the standard for old school hip hop. The MPC is also a solid piece of hardware, with great features, you can rig your entire studio to an MPC.

However, that statement is complete fallacy. I've never heard such bullshit. It doesn't matter what hardware or software you use to make beats, it's how you use it. And you definitely don't need an MPC!

I can do most of what an MPC does Sample wise on Kontakt 3, and more.

It's easy to dirty your drums up, add a lo-fi effect, or whatever. Personally, the industry standard is the complete opposite now a days. For a true sampled hip hop beat, sure, dirty drums are essential, but, for everything else, including R&B/Commercial Rap, CLEAN CRISPY drums are the ticket.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
thats why i stopped posting in there because people say dumb shit like that in there all the time

May 8, 2008
www.myspace.com
Now thats some Bull!!!!! So they are basically saying 9th Wonder Beats are wack. You do not have to have a MPC. I feel my joints are hot and I dont own a MPC at all. I know industry cats that have them and dont even us them any more really.

Bleek

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
i love that its a proven "fact." maybe it is for that person, to make "hip-hop", but thats just rediculous to state. so many people nowadays think they know what hip hop is.

B-San

Sicc OG
Apr 7, 2006
The sequencing on an MPC is unique as wel... but yeah, dudes trippin...

You could freestyle over the homie beatboxin' and that's hip hop f'realluh

Apr 26, 2006
i wonder why people hate fruity loops so much
Because of it's name and carrot logo. With a name like "Fruity" and a carrot as a logo, most "professionals" and people in general are automatically going to think its a toy. Simple as that. Not to mention, how easy it is to find a cracked version for download because the full program is very small in size (about 100 megabytes) compared to others and has very minimal copy protections like no dongles, therefore your going to have a SHIT LOAD of bad music because so many people can have easy access to it. The bad music being made with it is what gets noticed first, not the good music.

If all those other "high end" programs like Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, Reason,etc... were more affordable and easy to access on the net, you would see more users and more bad music coming from those programs as well.

To me FL is just a tool, just like all those other programs and hardware. It's just an instrument, a different way of making music. Each program fits the style of different people. Some peeps like the work flow of an MPC, Miko, FL, Reason, Cubase, Logic,... whatever the fuck. The end result is what matters IMO.