How did the Internet radio laws affect you?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 19, 2005
www.SacTownRadio.com
The new royaltie law went into effect on July 15th.

Lucky for us we are a niche station...our playlist is made up almost entirely of independant Northern Cali rap/rnb so we don't have to pay very much in royalties

The royalties we do pay are now higher for the major artists we do play...so it's affected us.

But imagine if your a station that plays nothing but top 40/pop music....their royalty rates are now through the roof due to their playlist is made up of all major artists...and that is what this law is aimed at doing is getting rid of the Top 40 stations on the net...so the terrestrial radio station can now stream their live broadcast over the net.

Oct 21, 2006
SacTownRadio said:
But imagine if your a station that plays nothing but top 40/pop music....their royalty rates are now through the roof due to their playlist is made up of all major artists...and that is what this law is aimed at doing is getting rid of the Top 40 stations on the net...so the terrestrial radio station can now stream their live broadcast over the net.
Why do you think they do that? To monopolize even more to get ad revenue, so only they can make money off the top 40? You'd think it's good enough that they got the songs on top 40 and play them all over, but I guess now they want to be the only ones to make money off it on top of that.

I'm glad you are doing well despite the new laws. I first listened when you had the BARS awards live. I'm gonna listen some more.

Apr 19, 2005
www.SacTownRadio.com
City Situation said:
Why do you think they do that? To monopolize even more to get ad revenue, so only they can make money off the top 40? You'd think it's good enough that they got the songs on top 40 and play them all over, but I guess now they want to be the only ones to make money off it on top of that.

I'm glad you are doing well despite the new laws. I first listened when you had the BARS awards live. I'm gonna listen some more.

LOL..yeah that BARS awards was pretty fun to broadcast...I'm glad you got to hear how that went down..

We'll be broadcasting live from the BARS Summit this year...last year was a ball...check this thread for the pics from last years summit...

http://www.siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?t=212328

I just wanna know has KMEL or Wild 94.9 ever had Traxamillion and Sean-T both on at the same time live on the air??

Apr 19, 2005
www.SacTownRadio.com
FreedomLost said:
If I was informed correctly, traditional stations pay WAY less than net stations.
Interesting isn't it.
terrestrial radio stations don't pay shit...that is why this law is so unfair to net broadcasters. Not only do we now have to pay a higher royality rate...but per listener....so if we got say 100 people listening and a major song plays...you have to pay that fee x100