'Health issues' force premature end to Urban Meyer era at Florida

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 13, 2006
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...e-Urban-Meyer-out-at-Florida?urn=ncaaf,210858

The day after his team's loss in the SEC Championship game, Florida coach Urban Meyer checked himself into Gainesville hospital due to "dehydration." He was quickly released, and the story passed without much attention at the time. But as of tonight, it may go down as the moment that Meyer's burgeoning Gator dynasty came to an end:

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family."

Meyer plans an official press conference on Sunday; he will coach against Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, then hang it up for the foreseeable future. He has suffered in the past from extreme pain as a result of a brain cyst, but isn't in the hospital and isn't facing any immediate health issues. There's no indication he's planning to return to the sideline anywhere else anytime soon. He's just had enough of the grind for now.

So, presumably, has the rest of the SEC. After turning obscure outfits Bowling Green and Utah into small-conference powers behind his prolific spread offense, Meyer resurrected Florida into a national juggernaut by his second year, in 2006, when he brought home the Gators' first national championship in a decade. Three years later, Meyer goes out with a 56-10 record over five years, a second national title to his name and a secure place alongside USC's Pete Carroll, Alabama's Nick Saban, Texas' Mack Brown and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops as the contemporary gold standard for building and sustaining a first-rate national power capable of contending for at least a major bowl game year after year, and Carroll is the only one of those coaches who has (or likely ever will) won two national titles in a three-year span. In practically no time at all, he's achieved virtual "legend" status.

Meyer's a relatively young man at 45 years old; odds are his name is going to be in the mix for every major job opening every offseason until he gets the itch and decides to return. But however this story ends, his run in Gainesville will go down as one of the great supernovas in the history of the sport.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
he scared. he knows he cant take that program any further. he'll be coaching elsewhere soon. maybe not this season but definitely next.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
^HAHA...keep wishing Florida was in the EMERALD bowl instead of USC.

And if you think Florida will be down next year...sure, they won't be national championship contenders, but they will be far from the team some of you hope...

Florida's not going anywhere. Brantley is a very good QB who has all of the tools; he just isn't the bruiser Tebow is. The running game will be strong, too...the defense will take a few hits, but we'll call it a ''rebuilding year''...the same kind that everyone else automatically gets, but Florida isn't entitled to.

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
Ahhaha. Tebow is gon leave so he said fuck it, I'll leave too.
I want to see him coach without one of the one top college QB on his team.

It's funny his timing with the whole thing. 8 out of his 10 years coaching, he had Alex Smith and Tim Tebow running his offense.

I think he saw what Mark Sanchez did to USC and how him leaving affected their program. Florida was going to take a few stpes back and he knew that.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
In that case, if I'm an NFL GM, I'm giving this guy 10 million bucks a year to be my scout. If he could tell that Alex Smith was going to be one of the top QB's in college, coming to Utah, and that Tim Tebow would be one of the greatest college football players ever, imagine what else he could predict. Wow.

LOL @ some conspiracy theory.