HBO special about PIMPIN to be filmed in Oakland!!!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2008/07/03/20253516.aspx

Nearly ten years since the release of their groundbreaking documentary American Pimp, the Hughes Brothers have signed on to work on a new drama based on the lifestyle they surveyed and brought to the mainstream.

Albert and Allen Hughes will direct the pilot of HBO’s new Gentlemen of Leisure, the story of a legendary pimp attempting to retire.

The show will be set in Oakland, California and is described by writer Evan Reilly as being about a guy who wants to get out, but keeps getting sucked back in by the allure of the game and by extraneous circumstances that have to do with his family.

In addition to the Hughes Brothers and Reilly, Gentlemen of Leisure will be executive produced by Interscope Records Chairman Jimmy Iovine and Polly Anthony, an exec in Interscope’s TV unit.

Iovine was reportedly interested in creating an “urban mob drama” with ties to Hip-Hop when the new project was brought to his attention.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Gentlemen of Leisure is expected to have a very strong musical element.

“You’re not going to see a bunch of colorful, goofy 70’s pimps,” Allen Hughes said. “This is a film noir-style urban drama based in rich characters that will explore the human conditions across the board.”

He went on to explain that the series will take a close look at the conflict that exists between old school-pimps and the younger guys who ignore the code created by their predecessors.

The younger generation of pimps are often accused of mixing the pimp lifestyle with a more violent approach, associated with the drug culture.

Feb 15, 2006
they should cover the trannys in the city. now that would be a show, i want to see who pimps those uhhh things? haha

or at least come around shotwell, id stay out there lookin for cameras to be on HBO.

May 30, 2006
Jimmy Iovine still cashing in on niggaz huh? I Aint mad @ dude he true entertainment husler & exploiter.

This is good shit though. I'm down with whatever the Hughes Brothers are behind. The Hughes Bro., Michael Moore, Martin Scorcese & Quentin Tarintino are by far my most favorite film makers.

Feb 15, 2006
THIS GUY...SPEAK FOR YOURSELF FOO!
i do speak for myself.

its a joke fool. those trannys in the TL be grimey as fuck. i get nauseous when im drivin through and they be starin at my car. u swear i wanna see them fucking and shit. i just think they would b full of crazy ass stories. just walkin down the TL to hit a liquor store, i get stories for a week.

Feb 25, 2005
So u muthafuckas wont send a Tranny to the track??? This is a never-ending topic for certain pimps... Let 1 come in my direction and choose this 'ism... Im sendin him/her str8 to the blades!!!!