Harrington a good bet for Warriors

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
XxtraMannish said:
I agree, but let me put it to you like this, damn near anybody would be better than dunleavy.
Exactly, so why waste alot of money on Harrington when theres probally cheaper solutions out there. If we're gonna spend alot of money on another SF, I want it to be someone like Lewis or Maggetti. Seattle would probally want something ridiculous for Rashard so I dont know how realistic that would be and I dont know what Maggetti's situation is in LA but Id love to send Dungleavy back to his daddy..haha
Anyway I think better options will be available down the road...it sucks to have to wait but if its better for the team in the long run its worth it.

Feb 7, 2006
20th July, 2006 - 11:39 pm

WTHR.com - According to WHTR 13 in Indianapolis, a deal has been completed that will send Al Harrington to the Indiana Pacers .

The full details of the trade are yet to be released, but RealGM.com will continue to update our users as the deal becomes official.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Pacers close to acquiring Harrington from HawksBy Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The biggest name still available on the NBA free-agent market is Al Harrington.

Except that you'd struggle to find a team out there that considers Harrington available.

Harrington's return to the Indiana Pacers via sign-and-trade with the Atlanta Hawks, according to various NBA front-office sources, is widely seen as a done deal.

Perhaps the strongest indication that a formal announcement is forthcoming from Indianapolis is the fact that the Pacers' main competition for Harrington is no longer courting the versatile forward.

The Golden State Warriors, sources said, have conceded defeat in the Harrington chase, fully expecting the 26-year-old to join the Pacers in a swap with Atlanta that would net Harrington a six-year contract worth just under $57 million.

It remains unclear who or what Atlanta would receive in the sign-and-trade arrangement, but the deal can be completed with the Hawks taking back recent or future draft picks -- or perhaps a moderately priced youngster like center David Harrison -- as opposed to significant salary. That's because of a $7.5 million trade exception Indiana created earlier this month by striking a sign-and-trade deal with the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets involving Peja Stojakovic … after Stojakovic had already committed to sign a five-year, $60-plus million free-agent contract with the Hornets.

With a modest cash payment believed to be in the $250,000 range, Indiana convinced the Hornets to participate in a sign-and-trade swap for Stojakovic instead of signing him outright. The Pacers signed Stojakovic to the terms he and the Hornets negotiated and shipped the sharpshooter (plus cash) to New Orleans/Oklahoma City for the rights to 1998 second-round draft pick Andy Betts, who will likely never play for Indiana.

Without the $7.5 million trade exception resulting from that maneuver, Indiana wouldn't be able to complete a sign-and-trade for Harrington unless the Hawks were willing to take back contracts in the same monetary range as Harrington's new first-year salary.

Harrington's apparent willingness to start that new contract in the $7.5 million range, meanwhile, is expected to return him to the team that drafted the 6-9, 245-pounder in 1998 -- and has turned that trade exception into one of the most valuable assets of this NBA offseason.

Harrington, sources said, initially told interested suitors he was expecting a six-year deal worth at least $66 million. For the Pacers to pay that much, Atlanta almost certainly would have to be willing to accept a package built around Indiana center Jeff Foster. But Foster, by all indications, is not part of the forthcoming trade.

Indy's unforeseen trade exception gets Harrington fairly close to his financial target and the team he likes best. Better yet for the Pacers, their new Ron Artest replacement is regarded as a top-flight athlete who's capable of playing small forward and power forward.

When the free-agent period commenced July 1 and the Hornets secured a verbal commitment from Stojakovic within hours, it looked as though Indiana would lose its original Artest successor without compensation.

The Pacers have been busy on other fronts as well, according to sources, in hopes of reducing future salary obligations wherever possible as they prepare to absorb Harrington's big contract.

They first rescinded a qualifying offer to shooting guard Fred Jones, suddenly making Jones an unrestricted free agent, and he quickly reached an agreement to sign with Toronto Raptors.

Indiana also agreed over the weekend to trade point guard Anthony Johnson, who has two seasons left on his contract worth just over $5 million, for a package of three Dallas Mavericks that will likely be whittled to one. Veteran point guard Darrell Armstrong is the only Mav expected to stick with the Pacers after the deal goes through. Young forwards Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall are prime candidates to be waived.

The Pacers have also shopped Foster (who earns $5.5 million next season) and guard Sarunas Jasikevicius ($4 million) this summer and might proceed with plans to move one or both to gain additional distance from the luxury-tax threshold.

"Obviously, Indiana, I'm more comfortable there because I've been there, I've been in the East," Harrington told ESPN.com earlier this month at the Vegas Summer League, making it clear then that he expected to wind up with either the Pacers or the Warriors.

"Going into free agency, obviously you think, 'I'm going to be at the bottom of the screen [on ESPN's Bottom Line ticker] like Ben Wallace and the rest of the guys.' But everyone's telling me to be patient, so that's what I'm trying to do."

Apr 25, 2002
Chree said:
like ive said numerous times, id like to see dunleavey go b4 murphy
Who wouldn't? The problem is no one wants Dunleavy with his piss poor play and bad contract. If we traded him it would likley be a crap for crap type of trade. We are probally better off hoping he steps it up next season and raises his trade value. Murphy on the other hand has some value and it would probally be smart to trade him this off season before his value drops any.

Apr 25, 2002
XxtraMannish said:
lol good luck with that
Yeah it doesn't look great for Seattle right away..but it could be a steal for them in the future if Pietrus ever figures the game out and Taft turns out as good as I think he can. The trade works financially too but I dont know how interested Seattle would be in any of those players since they been drafting alot of big men. I heard they were looking for all star talent in return for Wilcox...Id hate to see what they want for Lewis..

Jun 27, 2005
I think the only way the Warriors get Lewis is by giving up J Rich or Davis. I wouldnt mind a Davis for Lewis deal, but then who is Dunleavy going to be dealt to to get a starting pg?

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
Four-Team Trade In The Works?
Aug 21 - Two league sources have informed the San Francisco Chronicle that the Warriors have revived discussions with three teams to acquire Al Harrington. According to the newspaper, the principal parts involve Mike Dunleavy Jr. going to the Clippers, Corey Maggette to Denver and Joe Smith to Atlanta, with the Warriors getting Harrington.

Apr 25, 2002
Sounds lopsided..
Id take Maggetti over Harrington if I had a choice. My question is why would the Clippers get rid of Maggetti and replace him with Dunleavy? And why do the Hawks want Joe Smith? As if they dont have enough wing players already.

Dec 19, 2005
Meanwhile, Golden State appears to have received yet another lifeline in its pursuit of Al Harrington. The Hawks' forward is still on the market, despite switching agents from Andy Miller to Arn Tellem, after a sign-and-trade deal between Atlanta and Indiana reportedly was nixed by Pacers ownership.

According to two league sources, the Warriors have revived discussions with three teams on a multiple-player swap, with the principal parts involving Mike Dunleavy Jr. going to the Clippers, Corey Maggette to Denver and Joe Smith to Atlanta, with the Warriors getting Harrington.

Though it would be a thorny transaction to meet salary-cap requirements, Tellem represents both Harrington and Dunleavy. A similar multi-team deal was discussed in Las Vegas during the summer league, according to one of the sources.

Another potential snag, however, appears to be the status of Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy Sr., a main proponent of the team's interest in Dunleavy Jr.. The coach is entering the final year of his contract and would like an extension after guiding his team to the Western Conference semifinals.