Group Albums..Where they go?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mr G

Drunk Pot-Head
Apr 4, 2007
Las Vegas
I totally disagree.

If the people involved understand music production then they can be on different planets and still come up with some bangin shit. Second thing is they have to both understand that the song(s), not ego, personal opinion, etc must always come first. I just wrapped up a project where the lead guitarist spent a lot of time on tour with two different acts (John Lee Hooker Jr and Little Feet) and there was no problem because he understood music. The same could be said for the two bassists involved, one of them was busy doing shit for a couple of big movies and touring, he understood music. Now granted this project is a solo one with limited guest features, point is, everyone was able to vibe with me on a personal level which in turn fostered an environment where they knew what was expected of them and never had to be reminded about who was in charge. They understood the vision.

IMHO, a group album needs a solid producer, not composer, that can guide the group, work with the different egos and can come up with tight concepts.

And most of these cats are doin mp3s fam.
right on bro. glad you got to accomplish what you set out to and are happy with the end result.. BUT that's definitely the exception and not the rule...
we were talking about rap tho, and to keep it real most rappers don't really know music as fars as notes, tempos, chords and shit so real bands do have a leg up on rappers who rhyme for 50 seconds, just off pure devotion and training in the craft....
even so I gotta assume you guys already had a standing friendship or business relationship or whatever which had to make it easier...

lastly, if you do a feature for anyone serious about there shit and going to master it... there are going to want the verse tracked out at 4400 WAVs.. amateurs will mp3 collage straight to youtube and soundcloud etc...(if that's what y'all do no disrespect) but anyone paying for 3rd party mastering knows mp3 format aint gonna cut it..

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Thanks fam.

glad you got to accomplish what you set out to and are happy with the end result.. BUT that's definitely the exception and not the rule...
we were talking about rap tho, and to keep it real most rappers don't really know music as fars as notes, tempos, chords and shit so real bands do have a leg up on rappers who rhyme for 50 seconds, just off pure devotion and training in the craft....
even so I gotta assume you guys already had a standing friendship or business relationship or whatever which had to make it easier...
The fact that most rappers don't know what you just listed is the exact reason why a group, or any rap artist for that matter, can benefit the most from a producer. And my project is a rap album, it's a concept album, musically it's 99% live music but we aren't a band and I vetted each person before they contributed. We sat down, I told them what I was doing, asked how they could contribute, showed them the business plan, told them if they worked what was expected, etc. From there they would get drumlines with one instruction: "if you vibe to it cool, lay down a scratch track. If you don't then I'll send you another so scrap it."

So what made it easier is the ability to communicate and express my needs. Having a background in engineering helped, background in production helped and having an older brother who helped pave the way for the Vallejo rap scene helped.

lastly, if you do a feature for anyone serious about there shit and going to master it... there are going to want the verse tracked out at 4400 WAVs.. amateurs will mp3 collage straight to youtube and soundcloud etc...(if that's what y'all do no disrespect) but anyone paying for 3rd party mastering knows mp3 format aint gonna cut it..
Personally I would try to record at 88.2 but 44.1 or 48 works. Point is, and I agree with you, don't do mp3s if you are going to master. And to add to that, if you do master leave a bit of headroom (-6db to -3) and let a mastering engineer, not a mixing engineer, master the tracks.

Props: Mr G and Mr G
Apr 25, 2002
Tupac and Biggie album would've been HUGE! I know it's like 20 years later but still, that shit wouldve been crazy...
Why would it have been huge? PAC was a stand alone artist. Every other album is when he put features on it. He did songs with people but other than the THUGLIFE cd I don't know if I would've wanted to hear PAC do an entire album with any other individual rapper.

Nov 25, 2003
SUNSHINE CITY,CA
Why would it have been huge? PAC was a stand alone artist. Every other album is when he put features on it. He did songs with people but other than the THUGLIFE cd I don't know if I would've wanted to hear PAC do an entire album with any other individual rapper.
I THINK IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD THING BECUZ HE DEFINITELY WOULD MAKE ANOTHER RAPPER STEP UP HIS DELIVERY GAME OR ELSE THEY WOULD GET DROWNED OUT AND TOLD ABOUT IT OR EVEN WORSE....GET THEY'RE FEATURES ON THE SONG FAST FORWARDED. RNS

Nov 18, 2010
Compliations seem more popular than groups nowadays. I prefer it that way anyway. When I was younger groups were dope but as I got older I started to really dislike the "weak links" within rap groups and much prefer the solo work without those people.

Thank wutang and nwa for the demise of the groups without solo albums. But I do agree I miss songs where rappers had crazy chemistry like rae and ghost or where 2-3 artists go back and forth.

Mr G

Drunk Pot-Head
Apr 4, 2007
Las Vegas
Thanks fam.

The fact that most rappers don't know what you just listed is the exact reason why a group, or any rap artist for that matter, can benefit the most from a producer. And my project is a rap album, it's a concept album, musically it's 99% live music but we aren't a band and I vetted each person before they contributed. We sat down, I told them what I was doing, asked how they could contribute, showed them the business plan, told them if they worked what was expected, etc. From there they would get drumlines with one instruction: "if you vibe to it cool, lay down a scratch track. If you don't then I'll send you another so scrap it."

So what made it easier is the ability to communicate and express my needs. Having a background in engineering helped, background in production helped and having an older brother who helped pave the way for the Vallejo rap scene helped.

Personally I would try to record at 88.2 but 44.1 or 48 works. Point is, and I agree with you, don't do mp3s if you are going to master. And to add to that, if you do master leave a bit of headroom (-6db to -3) and let a mastering engineer, not a mixing engineer, master the tracks.
Sounds dope homie let me know when its out i wanna peep it

Feb 10, 2006
it wouldve been hude cuz they were the bigest in hip hop. they were both at their peaks of their careers. i was answering the op btw.