Grand Theft Auto III Tenth Anniversary

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah, the ENB series team stays killin shit

Best graphics I ever seen in my life:

This mod (which runs through San Andreas) combines 3 and Vice City in one game, which could be helpful after you install several graphic updates for San Andreas and you will be able to free roam with others online through all 3 cities from the games.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gta-united

Dead Blue

Smokin Bud
Nov 14, 2008
CALIFORNIA
this is basically the same argument as when folks said Resident Evil 2 was better then part 1? Really? It just means to me you either didnt play the one that came out first or you want to be different. Hands down GTA 3 changed the videogame world and hell no i would not want to play it now. I was so amazed by this game though when i first played it. Just running around with the rocket launcher destroying things was so fucken awesome, something that was played out by the time Vice City came around
I think most people started with RE2. I know I did (and still to this day haven't played part 1) RE3 Nemisis was even out by the time RE2 was ported to N64.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
How Grand Theft Auto III Delighted a Generation
Rockstar chief tells IGN how GTA III was initially misunderstood and "utterly ignored".

Dan Houser, Vice President at Rockstar Games never expected GTA III to be as big as it was. After an unspectacular appearance at E3, where it was "completely and utterly ignored," Rockstar wasn't sure about how the game would be received leading up to its release.

Internally, the team knew they had something special, but the buzz just wasn't building. The unfamiliarity of the genre GTA III pioneered may have played a part in its momentary undoing, but it was also the reason for the attention it inevitably earned. The seamless transitions between on-foot and in-car objectives, married with the open-ended, explorative freedom, eventually grabbed hold of the public. GTA hasn't let go since.

Back in 2001, the stakes could not have been higher. The vast majority of parent company Take2's publishing revenue came from Rockstar Games. "If the company hadn't made some money, it was going out of business. It was very simple," Houser says. Of course, GTA III made hundreds of millions in profit, and pulled its publisher out from its $100M hole. Thus began a mutually assured meteoric rise that would conquer the industry.

The legacy of Grand Theft Auto III is more than just money, particularly for Houser. In his eyes, anyone can make a violent shooter, or a decent driving model, or put music on a disc. "The cleverness of the GTA design is in the glue," says Houser, "not in the things that have been held together."

Gimmicks aren't substantial enough to support the scope of this genre. Creators are forced to improve and add to the formula constantly, or their game will fail, full stop.
The influence GTA would have from 2001 forward surprises Houser as much as anyone else, and he's honored to have been involved in it. GTA III set a standard that still exists, and it opened a lot of creative avenues for everyone making games.

Dan Houser wonders, 10 years after its most remarkable achievement, what Rockstar Games really is. "We're not really a developer and we're not really a publisher." He adds, "We're not that interesting, the reality is we're rather dull." The tens of millions of people who have played GTA games would disagree.

For more from Houser, see our full interview.

Be sure to check out the rest of IGN's Grand Theft Auto III 10th anniversary coverage:

The Game Industry Remembers Grand Theft Auto III

How Grand Theft Auto III Changed Open Worlds Forever

-------------------------

boolchit. i remember hearing about this game from PSM and gamepro thinking, "this game will be AMAZING." they are full of shit when they say it was being ignored.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Yea if you have a gaming rig that doesn't flinch when running the latest PC games at max settings you should be good.