Good computer for producing?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 30, 2002
Im thinkin about buyin a new computer, i dont have a ton of cheese to drop on it... pretty much shoppin around right now. I run alot of software, so im already knowing RAM is needed. Where do y'all shop for computers and what should i really be looking for? Links or suggestions appreciated!

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
I personally use a flat panel iMac. If you can't afford one, you can build a nice computer for under $1000. All you have to do is find out what the best parts are for what you'll be doing, go cop 'em @ Fry's or something, and put it all together. You'll need at LEAST 2 gigs of RAM...get more if you can.

Apr 26, 2006
I want to buy or build a new computer as well. This Pentium4 I have is starting to bog out with all the synths n shit I like to run.

Check this shit out for ideas on parts:

http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/

That TowerLE is something I would probably go after. Seems affordable, yet powerful enough for what I need to do. Maybe drop another gig or 2 of memory in it and your set. Memory plays more of a factor when your working with big samples.

There's probably better sites though for audio computers.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
im not even tryin to fuck with a mac....
I've used both types of computers to make music. In all honesty, it depends on if you get a good piece of equipment or not. I've had a couple Mac's crap out on me, but I've had more PC's crap out on me. Both were really good comps, there was just one bad part or something that killed the rest of it.

It also depends on what else you're doing with the comp. If you want to make music, get one just for that purpose and don't use the net on it or anything...and you should be good.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
i suggest building a computer yourself - if your building a pc

or getting ME or someone who knows what there doing to build you something solid for a good price.

everyone i know who got them "hp" computers or them "compaq" computers they shit run like them turtles from that comcast commercial.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006

B-San

Sicc OG
Apr 7, 2006
If you go the PC route - get an Intel Q6600... best deal for a quad-core! Asus motherboard is a must....

If you go widda Mac, make sure it has PCIe slots available...

May 1, 2003
No difference in PC or Mac nowadays. I think any issues with either platform falls solely on the developer of the software you are using. 10-15 Years ago?....Mac wins hands down. XP is a workhorse for music. Vista? Just make sure all your drivers are compatible. Also, I noticed a lot of people I've been helping unknowingly bought 64 Bit systems and try to run 32 bit software on it. Yes it will work...but it has issues. People buy computers with Intel Celeron processors in them...COMPLETE GARBAGE. People also install other software on their music computers. Which will sometimes have needless processess running in the background eating RAM. Same with background services. Any problem I ever had with XP or Vista....I caused myself...or could have prevented all together. Also, if you use your music pc for internet use. Disable the network while you are producing. It's the minor things that will give you a major headache...no matter what kind of computer you have.

28g w/o the bag

politically incorrect
Jan 18, 2003
metro's jurisdiction
siccness.net
macs are better because they are more stable
this is definitely the truth if you're doing music as well as other shit on your computer.

but a PC is just as stable / reliable as a mac (perhaps even more reliable, and even more powerful) if you use it strictly for music. that means cutting off internet access, no downloading pirated bangbus videos from megaupload, and maybe even purchasing all your music software as opposed to downloading it illegally. i can't imagine using a PC the same way i use a mac.

::