GHOSTWRITING IN THE BAY?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 11, 2004
Sup bart fam, I got a question to ask yall. Me and my team was talking bout why cats don't let people write for them in the bay and i was thinming that ego has a lot to do with it but that's not the case. When you hear a artist from the bay more times than not you hear the same one-liners slang or shout -outs in every song. Now don't kill me but when you REALLY LISTEN tell me I'm wrong. Isn't it the point to make the best music we can to compete with rest of the industry or are we happy with just THE BAY LOVE?

Some cats can write but don't have that voice that grabs you and some have the voice but that's it. I think it would help if we put all our creative minds together and blow this thang up. Cuz cats in the bay are the most creative people out there....Maybe I'm a homer... what do yall think?

Mar 4, 2006
tecman said:
When you hear a artist from the bay more times than not you hear the same one-liners slang or shout -outs in every song.

The cats that use the same phrases that you hear all the time are weak. Cats that got lyrics can flip any phrase in a new and creative way. I'd recommend stop listening to weak and uncreative artists.

Jan 1, 2006
That's like Milli Vanilli type shit cept with lyrics...

You live life off your own experience and that's what rap

R&B on the other hand that's different but still ghostwriting is lame period. LACK OF CREATIVITY

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
musicians for the most part don't write their music. look into the past, those really truly special singers were amazing because they were also songwriters, which was usually uncommon. Rap kinda changed that, focusing on what you can write & recite rather than just how you harmonize. I think somepeople need ghostwriters or at least help with their shit.

which leads me to a question:

say you have a bay area dood who has the look, the sound, coo ass delivery and bangin ass beats, and he bring across that bay area swag & shit. would you lose respect for him if you were to find out him & the producer write each song together? or if he has someone giving him hooks or punchlines would you lose hella respect for him?

Mar 11, 2004
I think if you have the right team behind you giving you the right info you should do ALMOST!!! whaterver it takes to get ahead. Now I'm not saying that you should do some A_B_C rap shit but say if for example DRE had someone else write a song and he put his twist on it and it sold platinum would you look at him any different or would you respect the hustle.

Mar 18, 2006
DJ61 said:
THE ONLY GHOSTRIDIN NIGGAZ KNOW IN THE BAY IS WITH THEIR CARS NIGGA!!!!

FUCK EVERYTHANG ELSE!!!!
TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE MAJORS

SIX ONE
ITS NUTHIN PRODUCTIONS
can you read?the fool said ghostwritting not ghostriding.

GHOSTWRITE THE RAP!

Apr 8, 2004
contrary to popular belief, ghostwriting is a process between the writer and the artist, where the writer and the artist get to know each other and then create something from the artist's point of view. it's not just a situation where the ghostwriter rips a random page out of his rhymebook and gets a check.

THIS IS ANOTHER WAY IT GOES DOWN:
"Insert established rappers name here" will invite the young spitters to his studio. Then said established rapper will steal ideas, slang, concepts, etc from the younger rappers. Happens all the time.

But to answer the question, yes some of these Bay rappers need ghostwriters, and I would actually respect them more because the end product would ultimately be better.

Jan 2, 2007
Shit I wrote lyrics for some cats ya'll listen to....ha ha....in most groups too When its tha famous rapper and he brings his crew (homies from the hood who weren't rappers) Its usually ghost writing going on. Yeah hella cats need writers.

Jan 24, 2007
Ghostwriting's cool for the cats who have the voice but a rapper's lyrical credibility is dismissed when I learn they have ghostwriters. I don't really care if someone ghostwrites a hook for them tho.

Mar 4, 2006
Chinese Mike said:
contrary to popular belief, ghostwriting is a process between the writer and the artist, where the writer and the artist get to know each other and then create something from the artist's point of view. it's not just a situation where the ghostwriter rips a random page out of his rhymebook and gets a check.

Every situation is different.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
autistic said:
I also think if you need a ghostwriter you shouldn't be rapping.
I ask this to all who feel this way:

Do you respect Dr Dre or should he not rap?

and I know most bay area people don't really respect 50 or G-Unit anyways, but does it matter that he writes the hooks and shit for the rest of his crew?

my real question is this: say some tight new artist is a producer that makes bangin beats, but can't really deliver his shit vocally. he writes some clean ass shit, but he cant' really bust, so he gets his potna to bust his rhymes (of course more tailored for his potna) and they make a tight ass song. are you going to lose respect for them and not buy their material, or would you not care and just enjoy the knock?