Freedom Town: Aesthetic and Recreational Lawn Alternative

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
man I've been reading about bitcoins for like 3 years and still don't understand how the fuck they work. I remember a couple years ago reading about people using a bunch of computers to "mine" bitcoins to build riches. What the fuck did "mining" bitcoins mean? lol Like they were just up and creating them? Or they were hacking other peoples?

How does one purchase bitcoins? Who decided how many bitcoins were going to initially be in circulation? Who takes my American currency and issues me bitcoins?

About the only thing I kind of understand is how people can't fake bitcoins because all transactions are public or something like that.
I'm by far not an expert ,but from what I do know:

Every bitcoin released must use computing power to enter circulation. They are hidden in long strings of encryption: thus cyrpto-currencay. Plus using your computer on the serve, helps with transaction, and you might fraction of transaction fees. They come from the bitcoin server, and who ever created the p2p network.

As more bitcoins enter circulation, the more difficult the encryptions become, which make them more rare to mine and price raise. Only 21m can be mined.

The argument about bitcoin, is nothing is backing it. Then again, nothing is backing our dollar - the mint regular just prints money out of thin air and throws it in circulation. I'm not really sure what gives it worth, just like I'm not exactly sure what gives our modern day dollar worth.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
I'm by far not an expert ,but from what I do know:

Every bitcoin released must use computing power to enter circulation. They are hidden in long strings of encryption: thus cyrpto-currencay. Plus using your computer on the serve, helps with transaction, and you might fraction of transaction fees. They come from the bitcoin server, and who ever created the p2p network.

As more bitcoins enter circulation, the more difficult the encryptions become, which make them more rare to mine and price raise. Only 21m can be mined.

The argument about bitcoin, is nothing is backing it. Then again, nothing is backing our dollar - the mint regular just prints money out of thin air and throws it in circulation. I'm not really sure what gives it worth, just like I'm not exactly sure what gives our modern day dollar worth.
What confuses me is who decided the 21m for circulation being a set amount. Also from what I read it's at 12m right now and will gradually build at basically a set rate until it hits 21m, who sets that rate.

The anonymous dude with the fake Japanese name (which honestly I've always guessed was a group of people, not just one dude) that created bitcoins just basically snapped his fingers one day and said "this is currency". Now with people buying it with world currencies it's almost like it's backed by the dollar, euro, pound, etc. and lucky people get free money because their computer that runs a program "mined" or basically figured out a math problem lol

From what I get out of it is that it's basically random data that's now backed by world currency and not actually a currency of it's own.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
Yea, I agree.

Its in away, a means to transfer money, without having to use world banks. I don't think its a great idea to buy it like stock. Transaction wise its like cash, I like that its hard to monitor peoples purchase through it.