for the hardcore rappers that sold out..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
Question & Answer. What does a rapper do when he starts out hardcore but can't sell enough records to remain in the record business? Answer: He goes pop. This answer is not set up to diss anybody who starts out pop but for the rappers who started out hardcore and now are making weak ass dance music cause they couldn't stay down with the hardcore. I just gotta question for you. How does it feel to wake up every morning and look in the mirror and realize that your a fuckin hoe?

- Ice T (off of Home Invasion)

:D

M

MrFreeze

most wouldnt care cuz there rich hoes. i think this game is all about the money and people will do anything to get paid. its eay to say youll never sell out when your just startin out but if the chance to make some serious bank comes along, i think youd find it would be hard to turn it down, even if youll look like a sellout. and would you even care what people you dont even know you think if you were rich? probably not huh...1

M

MrFreeze

to be honest i dont consider ice t to be a gangster or hard core rapper. his music gets no play from me, not to dis an original. i think if someone would pay ice t enough hed do a song with the backstreet boys. just my opinion...1

May 2, 2002
MrFreeze said:
to be honest i dont consider ice t to be a gangster or hard core rapper
the fuck? hahaha. Ice-T was spittin gangsta shit before NWA was. Ice-T's from hoover & has actually been through the shit he raps about which can't be said for most of the gangsta rappers out now. hahha..damn this fools trippin

TKO

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
Most MC's in the game gonna tell you they do it for the love of music....that's some bullshit...most of them is in it for one thing:

skrilla, scratch, paper....PERIOD...oh yea, and secondly the women too....:D

I don't like artists that go hardcore and then pop, but at the same time they got family to feed and kids to raise, cars to pimp out, houses to build, etc...so if the money stacks are bigger when they go pop...so fucken be it...they gettin' paid we ain't...no handouts here in this world...shit don't come for free...I be mad as hell with mobb deep doing some laid back 112 mushy bullshit on this Infamy cd, but at the same time they got a wider audience then they did before, which means they getting more airplay and more sales....can't knock them for that...if you ask me...everyone's a sellout in this game in some way or another...it jus depends what angle you look at it from....

TKO

B

Bayluv

Dr.Dre, Nas, Nelly, E-40, Master P, Snoop, Lil Bow Wow. Jermaine Dupree, Lurdacris, Warren G, Jay-Z, Puffy, Missy Elliot etc.

No Hate. Calling it like I see it.

Apr 25, 2002
SHEA said:

"COLORS".....shit-.....that made an ENTIRE GENERATION start gangbangin'....no matter who you were, a baskettball player, a nerd, a BMX rider, a skater....or just a street thug....you dropped what you were doing & recruited yourself to the nearest gang.

SS
LMAO...i know
when i was little, even though i lived in a crip neighborhood and all the older cats i knew were bangin crip...they'd try to put me on and I'd be like "nah i wanna be a blood" cus i always thought they looked cooler in colors lmao
i had no clue

Apr 26, 2002
Callin out sell outs

Ja rule- Went from "Its murder" to between me and you.. and some other shit i cant stand.

Snoop- Went from a " G- Thang" to "poppin collars", and a WHOLE slue of bullshit. tracks that really sound watered down.. now Ja may be a tone down, but snoop is watered down az hell.

People can say cats like Ice-T is wack, but then again .. E-40 just went the Ice-T route and was able to stay a star... so realy, all it is is greed... C-bo got doe from what i understand... i mean before i sell my soul to a label.. I'd rather give it to the devil.. atleast his power is unlimited... theez bomb ass MC's are selling the soul for platinum and cars... I mean shit.. in the Dupont Registry you can buy a island for like 1.5 million... but theez cats sell ther souls for chains and material shit.. if i sell out ever.. you know stiz was tryna buy a island and live 10 years tax free...

G

GANGSTAEIGHT

ICE-T

a true O.G.

never really liked his music, but he's one who deserves the respect

talk the talk
walk the walk
fuck the fuck

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

Some artists try a more pop approach on thier second CD after having a successful debut that wasnt pop at all. They think they can get more fans and increase sales. Kurupt is a good example, The Streets Is A Mutha was straight gangsta, and then he switched things up and tried to be more pop on Space Boogie. I think if he stuck to the same formula for Space Boogie his sales would have been a lot better. 8Ball is another example. Dude keeps trying to cross over and wants to be a household name, but if he kept to the original feel of his music from the Outside Looking In/Coming Out Hard days he would be selling platinum.

Apr 25, 2002
YOU CAN KEEP IT GANGSTA AND STILL MAKE A LIVING...JUST NOT AS COMFORTABLE

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR STRIVING FOR

I MEAN...I'D BE HAPPY STAYIN PURE AND JUST MAKIN ENUFF TO LIVE COMFORTABLY ON

I LOOK AT MASTER P AND I BUMP HIS OLD SCHOOL SHIT LIKE THE GHETTOS TRYNA KILL ME AND 99 WAYS TO DIE...HE HAD THAT G-SHIT ON LOCK...AND HE WAS ALREADY MAKIN SCRATCH...BUT THEN ITS LIKE...YOU MAKE ALL THAT SCRATCH AND YOU STOP STRUGGLIN...YOUR NO LONGER HUNGRY AND YOU DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYDAY DRAMA SO THE SUBSTANCE OF YOUR MUSIC DROPS OFF...I FEEL THAT IF YOUR HEART IS WHERE YOU CAME UP YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUILD YOUR FOUNDATION AND ELEVATE TO THE POINT WHERE YOUR MAKIN GOOD BANK AND STILL PUTTIN OUT TRUE SHIT...BUT TO EACH HIS OWN I DONT KNOCK ANYONE WHO FLIPS ON A PERSONAL LEVEL...LIKE SAYING FUCK PERCY MILLER...NAW I SAY FUCK MASTER P

M

MrFreeze

the way i look at it money will do strange things to a person. if your already rich from gangsta rappin then you wouldnt need to sell out. but if your still broke 5 years after you started gangsta rappin and an opportunity came up to make some fat cash doin a bitch song with fuckin r. kelly or somethin i would have a hard time sayin no. just my thoughts...1

Apr 25, 2002
SHEA said:

"SUGE KNIGHT AINT GONNA PUNK ME!....I ALREADY WHOOPED THAT NIGGA ONCE!"............AAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!......I FELL OUT WHEN HE SAID THAT SHIT....& HE WAS SERIOUS WITH IT TOO!!!!

SHEA
bahahaaaaaaahahahaaa....dayumn like that
i dunno but homeboyz trippin major right there...suge big ass like half grizzley bear and shit

May 7, 2002
I feel the Master P's, n Snoop Doggs, n Nellies out there did what they thought were a good business moves in pushing album sales......

Personally I feel how an artist comes out the gate is there style.
Artist have learned to adjust there sound to cater to a bigger areas than the Big Blocks or East Oak's

In the twisted music industry you have more leverage once you can provide both something unique and still dump a radio hit.

Problem when the whole album becomes a radio friendly pop compilation the whole fan base that the artist grew with fall off and hit the road cause you didnt feed there need.....

In other words keep your style, run with it, if you dont make money and decide to go pop expect to be titled a sell out......

It may not be the case but music fans pay only for quality and feel cheated when crap gets fronted to their decks..............

TKO

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
Keepin' it gangsta and hardcore=chump change

Sellin' out and going mainstream=big bank

Do the arithmetic...if you want to sell a lot of units...you gotta make ur music universally accessible...something everyone can feel...some of the gangsta shit being dropped is so damn gangstafied....some people can't even relate with that shit...but, if you make music that people can relate to...then you got more of a chance of getting radio airplay and selling to the masses..

That shit...that Master P made for 99 Ways to Die is pennies compared to what he made on his No Limit South Projects...that boy made major skrill off that shit..even though 95% of it was garbage...but, his music was accessible and radio friendly..so sheeeeeeeet...he made out like a bandit..u dig?