Fast-food workers strike nationwide in protest against wages

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
Existing "small" busineses wont collapse they would just have to adjust and sell their vacation home but more than likely they would get tax breaks by the government to help them during the process. Corporations cut off from breaks would make this possible. If they cant survive they never belonged in the first place. If corporations leave the country they are banned from making a profit here. See guys its not that far fetched is it?

Props: Mixerr
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Existing "small" busineses wont collapse they would just have to adjust and sell their vacation home but more than likely they would get tax breaks by the government to help them during the process. Corporations cut off from breaks would make this possible. If they cant survive they never belonged in the first place. If corporations leave the country they are banned from making a profit here. See guys its not that far fetched is it?
Once again you're talking about years of reform like I stated earlier. Not instant snap of the fingers magic.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Once again you're talking about years of reform like I stated earlier. Not instant snap of the fingers magic.
i hope it is instant snap of the fingers magic, im bout to change the game at mcdonalds. my burgers gonna be hella tasty with seasonsed salt and garlic salt. ill be making 20 an hour within 2 years.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Mike, you literally must have skipped this entire thread. Nobody is complaining about them asking for a raise. People are laughing at them for asking for DOUBLE of what they make now and wanting it instantly like it's some easy shit to do.
I bet that DOUBLE of their salary is in some places still not enough to live a decent life.

Ne Obliviscaris

RIP Cut-Throat and SoCo
Dec 30, 2004
So this is kinda a whole different argument. I mean I think our government, at least at a congressional level, is so broken right now, instituting any sort of change is difficult. But that doesn't mean this isn't the right thing to do, both on moral and economic grounds.

Props: [-KoRp$-]559
Apr 25, 2002
I realize if minimum wage got raised to $17.50 the following would occur:

Small business would die. Tell me what little locally owned deli, bar, clothing store etc. would be able to keep current work force while paying double?
not only would they be paying more per hour to the employee, they would be payin hellllllla more on workers comp. workers comp charges the employer per every $100 payed out. if the employer has to double what he pays an employee, he will pretty much double what he pays on his workers comp insurance. not to mention if his general liability insurance is partially based on payroll, that shit will go up too.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
I bet that DOUBLE of their salary is in some places still not enough to live a decent life.
Agreed, but like I've said numerous times we don't live in this magic land of fairies, unicorns, and rainbows where people get mad and all of a sudden their wages are doubled.

Asking for a raise is cool, but demanding double your wage your boss is gonna more than likely laugh at you.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
But that doesn't mean this isn't the right thing to do, both on moral and economic grounds.
I agree with you, wages definitely need to raise.

But unfortunately I realize we live in this extremely fucked up planet where the officials who could completely reform the way workers are paid are in too deep with the money making corporations. Some of our senators and congressmen were former CEO's and Executives and are still current stock holders of these same corporations we're asking them to cut profits from.

I see our country headed towards complete disaster way before anybody cares about fixing anything. Honestly I think our Government would rather get there's now and let a future Government deal with the complete collapse that will eventually happen, because it won't be their problem.

This is the same reason we continue to rely on fossil fuel even though alternative sources have been around for 50+ years, because too much money is made for politicians and their corporate friends.

The same reason the energy companies are trying to get the government to help them impose fees on people with solar energy powering their houses, causing people with solar panels to pay the same as they would for electric, because politicians and their corporate friends are losing money on people with solar energy.

Nobody in power gives a fuck about us. The reform that is necessary for extreme wage increase won't happen. That's why I say right now in current form a lot of business would go under if all of a sudden minimum wage was doubled.

Filthy_Rich

My fit cost a rack
Oct 22, 2003
www.officialxraided.com
By 'fair' I meant living wage.

And if employers dont want to pay it, then they dont have to run the business. Ronald Mcdonald can pack his shit up and close up shop if the drop from 20 mil to 11 mil is too much for him to handle.
Again though, living wage can be interpreted different ways. You might think $30k is enough. When the Occupy movement first started they were saying $40k. 2-0-Sixx is saying like $35k. I'm sure there are those that would say $50k and more.

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
My point is its possible but with people like you throwing ignorant people off instead of educating it cant happen. At least changing it to 10 bucks is a start. If more people knew about Australia they would think differently.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
My point is its possible but with people like you throwing ignorant people off instead of educating it cant happen. At least changing it to 10 bucks is a start. If more people knew about Australia they would think differently.
First the bolded: FOR LIKE THE 30TH TIME I 100% FULLY AGREE, THE MASS MAJORITY OF THIS DISCUSSION AND THE PART I DON'T AGREE WITH IS THE INSTANT DOUBLING TO $15 AN HOUR BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMIC REPERCUSSIONS THAT WOULD OCCUR IF ALL OF A SUDDEN OUT OF NOWHERE SMALL BUSINESS HAD TO DOUBLE EMPLOYEE PAY.

I would love nothing better than for minimum wage for all workers to increase.

The rest of your post though I gotta say "lolwut"?

What ignorant people am I "throwing off"? I'm having a discussion with like 4 other people on an internet message board. It ain't like I'm going out in the streets walking up to McDonalds workers and trying to persuade them against trying to get $15 an hour. and what do you mean by "educating" them? Should I go out to my local Wendy's and educate that 45 year old meth addict on how her Government and Corporations are screwing her? How many ignorant people do you go "educate" on a daily basis about evil corporate pay? The fuck are you talking about? lol

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Pretty ignorant statement. First of all you're not taking into account that plenty of small business owners are struggling and would in fact go under. These people could not support their families, and would lose everything they've worked so hard for. For you to assume all small business owners are balling out with vacation homes is pretty dumb. Second of all, if they have a vacation home or live an above average lifestyle, why should they have to give that up??? They had the drive, intelligence, creativity, talent, motivation, whatever else, to start their own business. They shouldn't enjoy the fruits of their labor? Let's say business owner nets $80k a year after his expenses... now let's say minimum wage increases to $15 an hour, and he has an extra $50k a year in labor expenses. Are you telling me this guy deserves to now live a $30k lifestyle... and net exactly what his employees make a year. Let's just all be on the same level, right? He doesn't deserve to live a better lifestyle right? The guy who wants to go out and get it should get the same as the guy who wants every fucking thing handed to him? Ok... I have no issue with saying McDonald's CEO can afford to go from $20m to $15m, but you guys fail to realize the minimum wage laws affect more than just large corporation

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
thats exactly it, the wages seem to stay the same, yet the cost of everything else increases...there really should be some law for this but if they wont do it for gas prices they cant tell people how to manage their property either

when i worked at geico they did it every year. the more you made the bigger cost of living increase you got.