Ever Notice How People Treat You Different Based On How Your Dressed

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Have any of you ever experienced this

I dress like a cholo most of the time. My kickback, partying clothes consist of Ben's w/ baby cuffs, jeans, windbreakers, sweats, Giants, Niners and Stanford jerseys and T-shirts, beanies, black,red jackets, hushpuppies, cortez, reebok classics

When I go to work school I have to wear business clothes. A shirt and tie, dress slacks, dress socks and shoes.

What I've noticed is when I go anywhere dressed in my work clothes I am treated very well and people are friendly. Notches that are more professional (especially medical aids and nurses) smile and say hi. If I buy something I get good customer service. older people will talk to me for no apparent reason.

BUT.... when I go somewhere in my regular clothes (unless they are other homeboys) I am treated with respect but people aren't always friendly. Girls especially the ones I stated above won't really even look at me(some still do) but I seem to attract the hoodrat type when I'm like this. When I buy shit people just seem to be rude everywhere. Old people, I don't really know what they do because they don't get close enough for me to find out. lol

May 21, 2002
yea i get that alot too, i be fitted with a jersy, black pants and my belt hangin out, alot of people be like "o hez a gang-banger, he'z nuthin but trouble, n thats when tha hoodrats be comin around and holla, but then when i get fitted into sum hilfiger khakis and shirt, itz like all eyez on me. itz almost sayin that they r judgin a book by itz cover!

Jul 11, 2002
Very True

Anthony- What you are saying is very true. People always judge on your appearance and your style. People shouldn't be so quick to judge the next nigga but they do. In your case they probably assume you are in a gang and that isn't right to assume shit. You have to remember that you are who you are and no one can change that. And for the females they probably some gold diggers anywayz tryen to break a nigga for some bread. They need to understand that its whats inside that counts. Thats just my assumption............................................MzGemini

Aug 26, 2002
Yeah it's true what you guys are sayin. I live in the poor side of my town and my brother's cholo clothes are handed down to me...and when i go visit my family they're on the rich side...we go to a store and white people all stare and shit...following me around as if i'm gonna steal something....one time I even got arrested because of suspicion robbery???? what kind of shit is that?

45Yr Old Virgin

Franchise War Veteran
Apr 25, 2002
Cuckanada
yourethemannowdog.ytmnd.com
i know its wrong but yeah...you are what you are precieved as...so if you dress for "success" people will take you seriously and whatnot but...i dress like a cholo also but i am at least happy i won't be mistaken for a rival gangmember since there are none in toronto(well wanna-be's) but hey

*plays wc & madd circle song "my dresscode"

Apr 26, 2002
AnthonyCG said:

when I go somewhere in my regular clothes (unless they are other homeboys) I am treated with respect but people aren't always friendly. Girls especially the ones I stated above won't really even look at me(some still do) but I seem to attract the hoodrat type when I'm like this. When I buy shit people just seem to be rude everywhere. Old people, I don't really know what they do because they don't get close enough for me to find out. lol

think about what you just said........you don't have to be in a tie a shit to get respected , just gotta look respectful to the average eye out there.....it's a stereotype thing, people see mtv,bet, the news and think everyone with some baggy jeans or what not is a thug, a gangster, a fuckin menace....that's just the world homie...my 2 cents.....

Playa-T

May 21, 2002
hogglife916.com
NOBODY HERE IN SAC DRESSES

CHOLO ONLY TRAMPAS EVERYONE ELSE TRIES TO STAY FITTED BLACKS WHITES MEXICANS ASIANS HINDUS WHATEVER . AS FAR AS ME I LIKE TO BE FITTED 24/7 NEW JORDANS DIAMOND PINKY RINGS 1/2 POUND OF GOLD AROUND MY NECK , NOT TO FLOSS JUST CUZZ I PAID THE COST .

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
what exactly do you mean by fitted?

around here that means polo, 501's, nautica and shit like that.

also, if you don't want to be looked at like a gangbanger, don't dress like one. you can't say it's not fair, because if some kid came up to you in a marilyn manson t shirt with green hair ........................ I don't even need to finish.

Apr 25, 2002
@HighSpeed - I don't really get the point your trying to make because I said "I DO get respect but people are not always friendly." It doesn't matter what I'm wearing I get respect. The point I was stressing there is that people I don't know are not as open or friendly in my regular clothes. Maybe I'm just missing your point though.

@Hogglife - Down here most of the Northerners dress the way I said. Up North I've noticed that alot of you dress more like Black people dress but still in a gangsta fashion (red shoes, red shirt.) Thats shits cool cuz thats how it is up there. But down here most the style is more plain. Like a red t-shirt, khakis, and white cortez's with red laces, with locs on. Thats just how it is here. I don't know if Cholo is the right word for it but its the only one I can think of to describe it. I don't really agree with your statement of Cholo only being for scraps. Not all homeboys have the money to stay fitted all the time, Some get hand-me-downs from their brothers or parents. and I'm sure down south there are surenos that stay fitted up all the time.

Apr 25, 2002
@phil - I never said that I didn't want to be seen as one, I chose my lifestyle over ten years ago and that choice was for life. If that was the case I'd buy new clothes. I'm mainly speaking on the fact that I could go to say.... the doctors office in my regular clothes and I get a attitude from the clerks and shitty service. But the next day I go in my work clothes and everyone is just so friendly and helpful (sarcasm). But I'm the same fuckin person. I would understand if I was rude or did something to them but not just because of how I'm dressed

Apr 25, 2002
i remmeber livin in fremont there was alot of home boys sportin dickies or benz, , i move out to the 925 its like how anthonycg is most home boys dress like black people, back in fremont there are alot that dress that way i guess it depend on area and how u like to dress, i tend to dress either way depends on what i wear that day

Jul 11, 2002
Anthony-F#ck what the next nigga thinks. Just keep being yourself and dress how you feel comfortable. What goes around comes around. I'm a very strong believer in that. MzGemini

LOOTER oF tHE NEW CHURCH

IGNORANT ASSHOLE PIECE OF SHIT
Apr 22, 2002
www.stevie-wonder.com
AnthonyCG said:
...I'm sure down south there are surenos that stay fitted up all the time.
true; but that is literally one out of 100 and those that dress that way tend get less attention and often don't look like gangsters at all unless they have some obvious tattoos. It's almost a camouflage.

May 2, 2002
I NOTICE PEOPLE TREAT ME DIFFERENT WHEN I'M SPORTIN A TANK TOP...THEY BE TRIPPIN OF MY TATS....PEOPLE JUST STARE AND SHAKE THEY HEAD SOMETIMES...SOME GET ALL SPOOKED AND KISS ASS..I DON'T LET IT GET TO ME THOUGH...FUCK EM

May 21, 2002
hogglife916.com
SPENSA

@Hogglife - Down here most of the Northerners dress the way I said. Up North I've noticed that alot of you dress more like Black people dress but still in a gangsta fashion (red shoes, red shirt.) Thats shits cool cuz thats how it is up there. But down here most the style is more plain. Like a red t-shirt, khakis, and white cortez's with red laces, with locs on. Thats just how it is here. I don't know if Cholo is the right word for it but its the only one I can think of to describe it. I don't really agree with your statement of Cholo only being for scraps. Not all homeboys have the money to stay fitted all the time, Some get hand-me-downs from their brothers or parents. and I'm sure down south there are surenos that stay fitted up all the time. [/B][/QUOTE]

HOMEBOY I DIDNT MEAN THAT ONLY SCRAPS SHOULD DRESS LIKE THAT I WAS JUST DESCRIBING HOW IT IS IN SAC . I KNOW ALOTTA HOMEBOYZ AINT GOT THE BREAD TO STAY WHIPPED ON THE DAILY , AND IM NOT SURE OF THE SITUATION WHERE YOU AT . BUT OVER HERE IMA MAKE SURE ALL MY REAL HOMIES ARE TAKIN CARE OF . THIS SHIT AINT BANGIN TO ME ITS ABOUT FAMILY ALL MY LOVED ONES GONNA BE HAVIN IT . THATS WHAT MY BIG HOMIES DID FOR ME AND THATS WHAT I PASS ON TO THE LIL HOMIES .

May 1, 2002
i dress wit my dickiez never lyked ben daviz wit a white tshirt wit some lugz or red shoez/mostly n i say mostly scrapz here r tha only onez sportin cortez n shave headz

doez anybody here sport fanel jacketz or ben daviz jacktez

May 8, 2002
alote of times people will assume things, but alote of times it isn't just your clothes alote of times its your attitude combined with your clothing that makes poeple assume.
i say that because i can walk through a store with the same clothes as some of my cousins and yet we will get different responses from the same people

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
shoot homies
i can relate to all this on the most serious tip. i am in the military and i people see my in uniform in public alot, plus where i live now is in the hamptons on long island new york, one of the richest places in the nation, maybe yall heard of it. but i still where the shit i like to wear the best, and for the most part, that is a plain t shirt, or a jersey or somethin with some adidas, some cortez or boots. i get looked at all funny and women hold on to their purse and people don't talk to me and probably wouldn't give me the time if i asked. i do wear nicer shit sometimes like hogglife said, cause i lived in oklahoma too and there are alot of black folks out there and that's how they get down, i usually only wear that to go out or to church though. but i still get respected it's just like on that movie a bronx tale, c asks sonny if he wanted to be feared or loved, and sonny said feared cause that is what keep his people workin for him, it's like that. i am the youngest one out of the people i work with and i am advancing really fast in the military, which alot of people don't like and they usually kinda shit on you if you are lower in rank and talk down on you and shit, but i don't hear any of that cause they got respect outta fear cause they know the backround and what i'm about. but i definately feel yall on where you comin from, to me i'm a sport the hanes t shirts everyday til i die