DOES IT MATTER IF YOU CAN RAP.....????

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 28, 2004
I'VE BEEN CHECKIN OUT YALL OPINIONATED PEOPLE ON THE SICC, AND I GOT A QUESTION FOR YALL ESPCIALLY. WHAT MATTERS MORE, IF YOU CAN RAP OR IF YOU CAN MAKE GOOD SONGS? THIS IS NOT A INDUSTRY STANDARD QUESTION, (CAUSE WE KNOW MOST WHO SUPPORT INDUSTRY RAP IS SUBURBAN WHITE KIDS) THIS IS A QUESTION FOR YALL/US ON THE UNDERGROUND ABOUT ALL RAP THOUGH. I DIG YALL OPINIONS SO LET ME KNOW WHATS UP.

Sep 28, 2004
MOST NIGGA WHO CAN RAP, LIKE BATTLE RAPPERS, CANT MAKE A GOOD SONG FOR SHIT. NOW MY FAVORITE RAPPERS CAN MAKE GOOD SONGS AND CAN RAP BUT THEY ARE NOT NESSASARALY BATTLE RAPPERS. I DO HAVE TO SAY MY FAVORITE RAPPERS OUT HERE (DAGO) GOT BUST AND CAN MAKE GOOD SONGS.

Feb 4, 2009
good songs man
nas watch dem niggas ft foxy brown
husalah-husalah shine
nas ft prodigy -tick tock
nas-black zombies----war wit his pops---2nd childhood
kool g rap-fast life ft nas
2 pac--good die young----tear drops and closed caskets----check out time
mitchy slick--trigeration station song
yukmouth---sacrifice my life off thug albulation
jay z somehow some way ft beanie sigel scarface
beanie sigel-change gon come
spider loc--hustle til you come up---hold on---

just a few examples man i could name a million songs

HIM

Sicc OG
Sep 27, 2002
At the end of the day people are BUYING music...they arent going to buy your battle raps..Canibus and Chino XL are lyricists to the death and people who appreciate hip hop will respect words all day, but MUSIC isnt the words alone...its the finished product....people are paying for that....that means concepts, delivery, voice, relevancy, beats, lyrics(some of the time), etc....the FINISHED product....

So all in all, if you are a great lyricist but your flow is off, beats are weak, voice is off, etc.. then most likely you will just get respect from emcee's or fans who appreciate words but you will more than likely be broke because the majority arent going to buy that..

If you just want respect then you dont have to make good music...if you want to make money and have the respect, then you need to make good music or be a ghostwriter...lol

Feb 4, 2009
joe budden 10 mins added to the list
camron come home with me title track..thats some real shit right there too
w.c. fuccin wit a house party
kurupt--welcome home
above the law--sumner days

you get the drift my nig ya dig

Feb 4, 2009
redman tonights da night
redman 2nd song off muddy waters
biggie---juicy---10 crack commandments
i mean its a million songs man but yea canibus and chino xl
chino xl first cd was ill as fuck man
canibus cds we re average but to me its like the lyrical niggaz can rap
but when its time to make that album unless you like that shit
i dont wanna hear Now if a bitch sucks yo' dick, for five dollars per square inch
and gets forty dollars, includin a five dollar tip
How big was the dick she just sucked? (Say what?)
Say how big was the dick she just sucked? (What?)
If you a nigga with a watch, that's iced out
with enough rocks to make the hottest room temperature dro
remember that shit off nigganometry nigga
cause after awhile that shit gets old man and niggaz dont switch up they styles
thats why i like bone thugs first 3 albums man
you hear that universal shit..niggaz rappin fast..slow..and singing
spice 1 nigga had the gangsta shit..jamaican shit..and then the studdering type style
you dont get that shit no more
i bump a lot of niggaz shit but you dont get that variety
the reason why crooked i cant put out no album cause he s good at freestyling
but he cant put songs together rememr that shit wit sisqo so hood
i mean come on now nigga

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
being able to rap is a product of making good rap songs.
(not the only thing that makes a good rap song, but it helps.)

however, being able to rap dosent have SHIT to do with being lyrical.

having a knack for making good music actually has more to do with character and the ability to 'catch lightning in a bottle' than it really does for technical musical skill.

many of the best songs were simplistic and to the point, like james brown for instance (arguably "the godfather of rap" depending on how you look at it) who wasnt the best lyricist but his character paved his way

i mean he said 'i can dig rappin/i can dig scrappin'

he wasnt like 'yo i rhyme rhythmically/fuck with me ill put you with god spiritually' or some stupid ass shit

ive seen many times where someone talented sits on a studio not knowing what the fuck to do, or thinking that rapping over a beat from their paper makes a good rap song

people dont try new shit its the same smoke a blunt get in the booth and spit shit

creativity and having 'an ear for music' and whats wanted by the listener goes a long way

i think if more people gave people what they wanted instead of going 'well i did that last album and i dont wanna do it now' would help

like if someone wants you to bring back your old ass style, fuck making that gay ass rock album. do what people want from you while maintaining your own artistic ability. its a business, and marketing seems to have taken on a first person outlook.

meaning if people are on twitter you go with the people

as long as you make everyone who wants to be happy, happy...its a success

maybe those people dont wanna hear you rap all skillfully

if people wanna hear you rap dumb and its gon get you some money by all means rap dumb and fuck hip hop rules, worry about that when your counting stacks

rap is lucrative

hip hop is not

i think if you wanna rap your ass off cuz you think your lyrical superman, go burn cds in your house and stick to the street....that shit has little to do with mainstream media...sex drugs violence gossip and success or failure stories...people want their movie inside of the cd..

once that fades out, lyricism might take the forefront because the nature of the game is to love whatever someone hates on and hate whatever someone loves, i think if you can be both hated and loved you bring everyone together

what i mean is a whole entire group of people can say you suck if another group of people love you. and rap aint one thing no more.

never was, really. just stopped being more than one thing for a hot second.

you get two groups to quarrel over you, and in most cases a hater has a chance to dig you once he gets into you, but someone who loves your shit is probably always gonna fuck with it...so being hated for what you do and loved for what you do is a win/win because it breeds interest to the third person, who watches the two battle over you.

and in that way you seemingly cover all bases

that my friends is why lil wayne can kiss a man and still be successful

sorry for the rant..i was talkin to my boy about this on aim so i gotta lot to say

Gas One

May 24, 2006
styles p realized his lane was mixtapes right now

i mean if i had 4,000 niggas around me asking for weed, i'd sell weed

i think thats why drug dealers make good rappers, they understand how to work well with people and the concept of supply/demand.

you get in where you fit in and your money gets made that way

if niggas dont want you to rap tight then it dont matter
but if you rap tight on the DL while being ignorant (see gucci mane) then you win over both hearts i guess

Jun 10, 2002
I mean if you can rap cool but if you cant put out a quality cd with good beats and shit that people actually can sit down and listen to then whats the use. its like making a burger anybody can do that. but people want there shit to have seasoning and all that other shit that will feel them up

Aug 15, 2002
I think this is why I dont mess with Crooked I after those hiphop weeklys...i have zero interest in him rapping over beats that i dont already know from somebody else...in short i dont think dude can make good songs which means i probably will never go out of my way to hear him over original material

Feb 7, 2006
good beats, technical skill, good concepts - thats wht I want to see. Or hit me in the heart like Jeezy nigga cant really rap but his beats are hard as fuck, he creative -at least how he approached rap. (Street professor)- and I feel his shit.

Apr 24, 2007
www.mypsace.com
IMMA KEEP IT REAL THE PEOPLE(VERY SELECTIVE FEW) WHO STILL DO ACTUALLY PURCHASE MUSIC DONT GIVE A FUCK IF THE ARTIST THEY JUST HEARD ON THE RADIO CAN SPIT A SICK ASS MEDIPHOR TO SAVE HIS LIFE THEY CARE IF THAT BEAT MAKES YOUR ASS MOVE. T-PAIN DONE SHIT ALL OVER THE GAME WITH HIS STOOPID ASS VOCAL ANYLYZER AND I BET YOU GOT DUDE OUT THE LAB AND TOLD HIM TO BUST HE GONNA FREEZE UP. YOU KNOW OO' I FUCKS WITH CROOKED I, JOE BUDDENS, JOELL ORTIZ AND ROYCE THE 5'9' PERSONALLY AND ALL THEM DUDES GOT GAS YET NOT ONE OF THEM DUDES GETS THE RESPECT OR SHINE THAT THEY DESERVE. NOW IN DAYS PUT A SICK ASS 808 BASS LINE, CHANGE YOUR VOICE AND SAY SOME STOOPID FAR OUT SHIT THAT MAKES ABSOLUTLY NO SENSE AT ALL AND YOU GOT A HIT..THIS GAME IS FUCKED UP.

Oct 9, 2008
I think if u can rap and have a decent amount of hustle you will always be successful on an underground level. However if u want exposure on a major label you need to have song writing skills..personally i don't think "suburban white kids" is what support industry rap music i just think it's a younger generation brought up on a different era of rap..imo the shift began in the late 90's..rap was never the leading genre in record sale tell around this time so the people who jumped on the rap bandwagon missed the days of the real "rapper"

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
I'VE BEEN CHECKIN OUT YALL OPINIONATED PEOPLE ON THE SICC, AND I GOT A QUESTION FOR YALL ESPCIALLY. WHAT MATTERS MORE, IF YOU CAN RAP OR IF YOU CAN MAKE GOOD SONGS? THIS IS NOT A INDUSTRY STANDARD QUESTION, (CAUSE WE KNOW MOST WHO SUPPORT INDUSTRY RAP IS SUBURBAN WHITE KIDS) THIS IS A QUESTION FOR YALL/US ON THE UNDERGROUND ABOUT ALL RAP THOUGH. I DIG YALL OPINIONS SO LET ME KNOW WHATS UP.
The ability to make songs will always be more valued than skill of rapping. It goes across the board. Its not a white/black or industry/underground, its just music.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
people are talking about what they wanna hear.

you know what i didnt want to hear?

biggie fucking a bitch (lil kim?) on the 'ready to die' skit.

that to this day remains to be the most awkward moment in rap cassette history

do not follow in his footsteps

thank you and goodnight

edit: and that goes for you pervert ass beatmakers sneaking in the recording from the latina chick you boned next to your soundboard, just because i dont hear it over 70 other fucking sounds dont mean you arent a sick fucking 'symphony of ass fucking' mixdown ass pervert, pervert.

Jun 6, 2004
San Diego, CA
www.myspace.com
gotta be able to make a song.... I wanna hear a nigga that can bust, but the 10 million people buyin records to make ya go platinum wanna hear a smooth beat they can bounce to, the white bitches gotta be able to sing along with yo hook while they slide top down in the benz to go picc up their girls.... kids gotta be singin yo shit ALL DAY LONG.... and they gotta point blank period be willin to play it on the radio ALL OVER THE STATES.... without those key elements, you will just be a tight rapper that can't make a good song....

DuceTheTruth

No Flexxin No Fakin
Apr 1, 2003
Being able to RAP and making a GOOD SONG will come hand in hand if you're a GOOD RAPPER.

But who is to say what is a good song and what is not? One thing one loves the other will hate. East Coast, West Coast, Down South.....it really doesnt mean anything, its all just a matter of opinion.....to anybody.....no facts.

Your favorite rapper might make the best songs to you all day, and then occasionally spit that shit that you press "next" on every time you hear it.

And the same with that dude you considered wack when all of of sudden he/she came out with a song that you mysteriously cant get out your head.

If you think somebody sucks on the mic as a rapper then that person will never be capable of making a good song in your mind.

Its all what you as a person feel.