do you rappers ever take the time to study the demographics of your niche market?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 28, 2010
Unless your backed by a major, who loses most of their money anyways, chances are you will be limited to how many people you can reach. Dont try to please every body by making water down music; instead, focus on the music that you love and find out where your prospects live. Then most of your money, time and energy catering to them. Majors make water down music in hopes of reaching the masses because they invest alot of more money then you do. Inde artist on the other hand dont have that issue. If you spend 50,000 all together on your project find out where you can sale at least 5000 units for ten dollars each to recoup. Itunes, shows, merchandise, etc
after that is all profit. Stop trying to earn that michael jackson fan base and go after the small niche markets. Major labels are like taco bells. You should focus on being a taqueria lol.

Apr 20, 2005
every rapper wants to be the best and show their talent to the world. that wont happen selling tacos at the local Albertos. Major is the way to go if u want everybody to know who u r

Sep 5, 2008
Great post. Marketing is going to make or break you today.

I've yet to see a local rap artist exploit facebook, myspace, google etc. advertising like the indie alt/rock scene has. The targeting you can do on facebook is perfect for this.. If your music is good enough - do it! Pay for local displey ads to a fan page, build your lists, don't look for a profit just break even and your next release will be where your profit is.

The problem for most artist with this is - you actually have to make good music in your niche for it to work.

Dec 12, 2008
Roseville , Ca.
Chingo is a great example of this , maybe even Haji . ??????? I don't really listen to them @ all but you gotta respect their hustle .

Maybe GUCE , or Boo Banger w/ Hunters Point . They target that hood & have it on lock along w/ Black C .....

They're richer than me .........

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I took a marketing research course, we had to actually get out in the field, collect data, and analyze it, and it's pretty interesting to see how much valuable data is out there and how much it can help when it comes to making business decisions