DIST.9/ GOODS/ GI JOE???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 15, 2005
Accordin' 2 Rottentomatoes.com "District 9" is certified fresh (88%), "G. I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" is rotten (38%) and "The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard" is rotten as well (26%). The percentage is based on positive reviews from approved critics.

Feb 9, 2003
I saw both district and the goods.

District 9 has an incredibly intriguing plot. The cinematography and local shots are authentic and the acting was superb. However the actual story line was lacking. Was it a bad movie? No. Mediocre? No. Good? Yes. Great? No...although many people will tell you it is.

They try and sell you this story with these HUGE plot holes and the flimsiest explanations. How'd these aliens get there? What is their society like? Do they follow some sort of caste system or was this simply lazy writing and only one alien actually had any semblance of intelligence. Why are they here? And most importantly at the end of the movie...now what? None of these really go answered.

Yeah, it's filled with kewl explosions and a pretty bad ass forced entry into the MNU building but I don't know...it was lacking something. Peter Jackson's a good producer/ director. But it seems that when the subject matter isn't as inspired as LOTR he just can't deliver. Not that he delivered all the way with LOTR.

The Goods was awesome. It's stupid comedy in the same vain as Step Brothers and Ricky Bobby. Only better. It's no The Hang Over. But if you're looking for jokes and set ups that are stupid enough to make you laugh yet not immature enough to insult your intelligence this is a great choice for a matinee film.

Feb 9, 2003
Don't get me wrong.

I liked D9 but everything they ever tell you about the aliens IN the movie they tell you IN the trailers. No joke. Seriously. NO JOKE.

Aliens come to earth somehow. Their ship is some how out of fuel. Some how they can't get back. Is it because of the fuel? Is it because it was somehow damaged? You never find out even when the main protagonist is turning into an alien. There is one other head scratcher that makes NO SENSE. But I won't spoil it. It's somehow relevant (?) to the plot...I think.

I'd still suggest watching it. Maybe catch both at the matinee and end up paying 12 for both instead of 11 for 1 on a Sat night.

The goods is funny if you go with your girl or a couple of friends that share the same type of humor. It's basically Arie Gold selling cars and making dick and fart jokes. But the scenes with (surprise surprise) Will Ferrel are HILARIOUS!

Which would I choose had I not seen either? D9. But that's only because it's an extraterrestrial film. I find it hard to actually suggest a film out of both. I honestly thought D9 would have been the must see movie this weekend. But after catching it. I just can't really say the hype was well deserved.

Feb 9, 2003
PS. Maybe it's because I took a mini nap during D9 but I don't believe the whole interrogation scene they show you in the trailers was actually in the movie.

Nov 15, 2007
geez mecom you must of fell asleep, cuzz there was no interragation scene even in the trailer... it just seems like it is, its not... i thought the same thing like what the fuck that wasnt even in the movie, but when i watched the trailer again i realized they just made it look like that and when he said he just wants to go home is when christopher was inside his house and he was asking what are they doing here... and yea they ran out of fuel thats why they are stuck there and the humans pretty much wont let them leave, didnt you see how they treated the prawns c'mon dude it wasnt that hard to figure out... and obviously the prawns are extremely intelligent didnt you see their weapons??? it just seems like they are shy because they happen to come to the strange planet and the humans are extrememly aggressive and know they will kill them... i personally loved D9 but it seems like some people are too slow to figure it out, even the people i went to the theathre with...

Feb 9, 2003
I'd dismantle your posts and show the inconsistencies of the film. However, I doubt you'd understand them as you clearly saw things differently than I did. Especially how you described the aliens as intelligent when they showed NO signs of any capacity for higher thinking. Only three of them were shown to be smart. That's it. The other aliens were dumber than a 6 year old. But I won't get into it now. Arguing would spoil the movie for any one that hasn't seen it.

Nov 15, 2007
i could see what your saying, my only arguement to that would be there on a new strange planet but from when the movie takes place theve been on the planet for 3 years so my arguement holds no wieght... i see what your saying, but i mean yea the most of them they showed were dumb, but come on they obviously have a whole other planet they live on, its wasnt like all the prawns where on that ship and lived in those slums and according to the movie there were thousands of them and we only saw a handful of them... and to say they werent intelligent when christophers son was one of the most intelligent is the movie is blasphemy how is a kid of the prawns that smart and say they are all dumb??? but yea i can see what your saying, thats the thing about this movie there really is no clear conception of what to think and we all seem to have different views either way i thought this movie was bad ass...

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
District 9 - is it one of those movies that you should see in a movie theater or could I just download it and watch it on my regular ass tv?

Nov 15, 2007
i would def say if i saw it on my computer it def wouldnt do this movie justice... you need to see it on the big screen with surround sound and with the aliens being prestige cgi, it just wouldnt be the same on the computer... i highly recommend seeing it on the big screen

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
I'd dismantle your posts and show the inconsistencies of the film. However, I doubt you'd understand them as you clearly saw things differently than I did. Especially how you described the aliens as intelligent when they showed NO signs of any capacity for higher thinking. Only three of them were shown to be smart. That's it.The other aliens were dumber than a 6 year old. But I won't get into it now. Arguing would spoil the movie for any one that hasn't seen it.
All of the Aliens (other than Christopher, his son, and his friend) were workers...their hierarchy (aka the educated ones) either died or disappeared somehow...

I don't think the director/writer had to explain every single thing in the movie...if he did it take away from the experience which leaves you asking about their origin, purpose for being on Earth, etc.

Nov 15, 2007
All of the Aliens (other than Christopher, his son, and his friend) were workers...their hierarchy (aka the educated ones) either died or disappeared somehow...

I don't think the director/writer had to explain every single thing in the movie...if he did it take away from the experience which leaves you asking about their origin, purpose for being on Earth, etc.
looks like you saw the movie the same way i did...

Nov 15, 2007
Prawns really wasn't shit...... They can easily be pimped with catfood
ahaha cuzz your simpleton simple minded fuck, think about it... they are on a totally different planet with out their natural food that they prolly normally eat... who knows cat food was prolly the next best thing that they could find... shit if you were on mars you would get pimped for a slice of pizza, and like dude said in a previous post most the prawns were workers... like in a ant colony, a bunch of pawns; so who cares if they got pimped for cat food... they even liked eating tires cuzz of the rubber, there fucking aliens dude!!!!! i dont see how anyone who has a ship, highly intelligent weaponry thats superior to anything the humans had dumb, obviously they were more intelligent...