DIfferrence OG, Repress...?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 7, 2006
I would want that we see together the following meanings:

OG: 1st press, 2nd press...
Reissue:
Re-release:
Repress:
Bootleg:

Where are the differences exactly ?

Different cover, Label, Years, Vulgar copy by X, etc.

Apr 25, 2011
Memphis, TN Louisville, KY
OG: Original and official pressing from Artist/producer/label. Can't be 2nd, 3rd etc..

Reissue: Official reissue from label, artist, producer usually years later. May contain alternate or edited tracks, different/updated artwork, remastered audio, other changes etc

Re-Release: Similar meaning as re-issue but may not be affiliated with the original label. Example, an artist self re-releases an album independently years later on a different label.

Repress: Official or Unofficial pressing from a different manufacturer, label, distributor than the original pressing, usually independent. In terms of underground cassettes: a pressing made at a later date than the first batch and may not be from the original master.

Bootleg: Counterfeit reproduction made to mimick any of the above, or an entirely new self pressed or third party boot of its own that does not simulate any of the above.

Jun 7, 2006
exemple,

Cold World Hustlers - Iceland, same years, but différent cover. so OG 2nd press or re-release ?
Young Ed, différent cover and years, re-releas or repress?
Dazzie Dee - Where's My Receipt, unreleased, so re-release 2008 ?
Young Dre D - Trouble, same copy, bootleg ?
Lil Ric - Deep N Tha Game, different years, same cover ~, re-release or repress ?
slink capone the cutaluff 2001 unreleased, Repress ?

etc.

Jul 7, 2005
www.mintunderground.com
1. OG = Original = 1st Pressing

2. Reissue, Repress, Rerelease = The same in my opinion. Same meaning, term and outcome. It doesn't matter if it's on the same label, who manufactured it or anything of the sort. What matters is the fact that they were pressed with the consent of the Executive Producers acknowledgment/consent. ***Most artist don't have the rights to their own projects, because they don't own the rights to the project. If the artists is in fact the Executive Producer and the artist at the same time, then the artist can grant the rights to re-manufacture and distribute the album, because he is the Executive Producer.

3. Bootleg = A pressing done without written consent, contract and/or permission of the Executive Producer. This also means that an artist can be a bootlegger too, if he doesn't own the rights to the album. Yes, he's the artist, but if he/she/the artist isn't the actual Executive Producer, then he/she/the artist doesn't own the rights to the album and its publishing, which means that he can't give permission to manufacture anything. The artist can give you his consent, but his consent means nothing if he's not the actual Executive Producer of that album. Basically if the Executive Producer didn't grant the manufacturing and reproduction of the material, It's a bootleg. This means that you can get sued, even if you got the artists consent. The artist better be the owner/Executive Producer/owner of his publishing, because you will get sued and you are a bootlegger. If the artist is the Co-Executive Producer, you will still need a contract/written consent by the other Co-Executive producer. Without consent from all Executive parties, your project is in fact a bootleg. The key words are: Executive Producer & Contract/Written Consent. If you are not that, have not received this from this person in this position and don't have a contract/written consent, then you are in fact a bootlegger.

4. Pressing Number = The order in which they were released. 1st pressing always = OG, but everything else falls in the order of manufactured date. An example of this is an album that was re-release/re-pressed/re-issued twice in one year. If the 1st repress came in the month of February, it's the 2nd Pressing, because it's not the OG/Non Reproduction of any form. If the second repress came in November of the same year, it means that it will be the 3rd Pressing. The number of pressing is determined by the order of the date's in which that repressing occurred.

That's as simple as I can put it.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2011
Memphis, TN Louisville, KY
Looking back, I think the OP was probably looking for specific physical differences rather than technical differences. And if that is the case, it's always going to be completely case by case, so there's really no point in asking for an umbrella answer.

Jan 6, 2003
Looking back, I think the OP was probably looking for specific physical differences rather than technical differences. And if that is the case, it's always going to be completely case by case, so there's really no point in asking for an umbrella answer.
I read it as he wanted a set of universal definitions, like we've been discussing in the clean up section

Jan 6, 2003
About the terminology, is "OG" an official term or is this just something that rap collectors have adopted and use as slang? I've always considered "OG" to be the original format an album or single has been released as. If an album has only been released on tape then only the tape is the OG. If the CD is pressed later then even the first pressing of the CD is a reissue because it's not in its original format. It would be wrong to describe that particular CD as OG, because it is a reissue, even though it's the first CD pressing.

Props: lounge
Jul 7, 2005
www.mintunderground.com
About the terminology, is "OG" an official term or is this just something that rap collectors have adopted and use as slang? I've always considered "OG" to be the original format an album or single has been released as. If an album has only been released on tape then only the tape is the OG. If the CD is pressed later then even the first pressing of the CD is a reissue because it's not in its original format. It would be wrong to describe that particular CD as OG, because it is a reissue, even though it's the first CD pressing.
Agreed. I failed to mention that. I believe that we should use the terms provided as a true guideline for what constitutes the difference in pressings. What do you guys think?

Apr 26, 2010
like adolf said use rap music guide for the most part if something is an original press or re issue , there are few instances where I have found incorrect info on there , its a great place in reference to different presses of cds , but we are also finding out more and more about different presses all the time.

Feb 21, 2011
Yeah no doubt rapmusicguide is great but you don't got to be a asshole about it because its not that retarded of a question. Also I agree with sincere if everyone used those terms then there would be no excuses... on the siccness at least....Most shady shit seems to happen on ebay but that'll never change. That's how a lot of sellers do it if they don't want to get a bad rep... Just try and be tricky with how they word the titles of their auctions. Then be like oh well that is the OG to me because it's the first copy of it .. Even though it was a tape only release in 96 or something, and they just stretched the front cover and pressed it on CD in 2011. So yeah, it'd be good to have a guideline with the exact terms so there's no way to bullshit your way out of selling represses or bootlegs.

Jan 6, 2003
2nd pressing vs bootleg

If there's something I really hate on ebay it's those who lists CDs that are known bootlegs as "2nd pressing". I've noticed that the Chinese bootlegs of certain CDs have been flooding on ebay recently and they are listed such as: "2nd pressing with the thinner DIDX letters".

Why is it so fucking hard to be honest in a description? In the long run misinformation about the items for sale will get back in your face and ruin a seller's rep. We've seen several examples of that, even here with siccness members. It's the same thing about other CDs that also are on ebay. Same ring code, different generic font on the ring code. 2nd pressing my ass....it's a fucking bootleg. It's impossible for any serious collector and seller the last few years to not have noticed the bootleg/ring code issue so why risk your rep? so yes, ordering a batch of cheap bootlegs from the east might be very tempting to make a quick buck and it's perfectly fine -they are available and there are obviously ppl who'd like one. So please, if it's a market go ahead and make that money. But if you as a seller have any decency or pride in what you do please get the info correct.

that was letting out some steam LOL

I've got a hunch for these fucking chinese bootlegs because I had to go through two misdescribed bootlegs before I finally got the OG of Oppazet: In the beginning LOL. Took a lot of time, frustration and money to get things straight. What might be a thing with the bootleg is what I've noticed in the one I got, there might be a manufacturing error in the second last track, making a squeeky sound and skips. I don't know if this is only on the one I got or if it's on all bootlegs though.

Sicc OG
Sep 22, 2007
doesnt that oppazet bootleg have the IFPI # in normal sized font compared to being in extra small font on the og? lol

Jan 6, 2003
Yeah, all these Chinese bootlegs have identical ring codes as their OGs but the font is different. The didx OG code has a known font while the bootlegs have thin Arial type letters. You know it when you see it LOL.

May 27, 2006
Agree 100%. Most people who sell those fakes dat was made within the last 3-4 years as 2nd press know exactly what they are sellin just want to avoid the harsh word "bootlegg".

If they wouldnt know what they sell they wouldnt write anything at all. But i guess they was exposed several times for sellin trash so feel necessary to give the impression like they fair.
Tho they dont like to say the whole truth because if they write "bootlegg" makes a too worse impression. Why people always have to be so sneaky, dont sell bootleggs at all instead of finding shady ways to do so.

Props: Flowjob