Cutler has Type 1 diabetes

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 24, 2006
www.fucku.com
Cutler has Type 1 diabetes

DENVER (AP)—Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, his business manager Marty Garafalo confirmed Thursday night.

The 25-year-old Cutler found out about two weeks ago that he was diabetic and needed daily insulin injections, Garafalo told The Associated Press.

He said Cutler was managing his disease and “in no way is his football career jeopardized.”

Some 21 million Americans have diabetes, meaning their bodies cannot properly turn blood sugar into energy. Either they don’t produce enough insulin or don’t use it correctly. With the Type 1 form, the body’s immune system attacks insulin-producing pancreatic cells, so that patients require insulin injections to survive.

“It’s something that he’s dealing with and something a lot of other people have,” Garafalo said. “Even though it’s a serious condition, it’s a condition that can be managed. That’s the way he’s treating it right now.

“Everything’s fine,” Garafalo continued. “His condition is fine.”

Cutler, entering his third NFL season, threw for 3,497 yards and 20 touchdowns last season after supplanting Jake Plummer with five weeks left in the 2006 season.

The 6-foot-3, 233-pound Cutler was taken by the Broncos with the 11th overall pick of the 2006 draft, becoming the first Vanderbilt player taken in the first round since 1986.

Cutler is expected to address the media on Friday.

Other athletes who have competed with diabetes include Hockey Hall of Famer Bobby Clarke, Charlotte Bobcats forward Adam Morrison, golfers Scott Verplank, Michelle McGann and Kelli Kuehne and Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr.

man, hopefully it really doesnt effect jay cutler. it sucks to hear things like this happen to players or people in general. i wish him well(just not when they play my raiders) after all this!

Jun 27, 2005
holy shit thats crazy to get type 1 diabetes at age 25. most people who have type 1 get it when they are little kids. My brother got it when he was 7, so to me its nuts to think that you can get it at such a late age...

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
Your uncle got type 1 diabetes at 50? You sure it wasn't type 2?
Actually, right after I posted I realized that it said type 1 and wasn't sure what they have. They both have to take insulin shots 2-4 x a day if their blood sugar gets too high and have to make sure they eat enough so their blood sugar doesn't get too low. My uncle lost a serious amount of weight when he got his diabetes.

May 24, 2006
www.fucku.com
CUTLER SAYS DIABETES AFFECTED HIM IN 2007
Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2008, 9:04 a.m.
In an interview with CBS 4 in Denver regarding his recent diagnosis with Type I diabetes, Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler says that he was feeling the effects of the condition during the 2007 season.

“We looked back, and I dropped 8-10 pounds in October,” Cutler said. “So at least six months. The second half of the season [it] was kind of something I was dealing with at the time. I was losing weight, didn’t have a lot of strength. You could tell. Just the way I played, some of the throws that I made didn’t have a lot behind them.”

It really shouldn’t affect Cutler’s performance moving forward; but if it did affect his performance in 2007, it’s hard not to wonder what in the heck the Broncos’ doctors were doing.