Cleveland...Best Fans in the NFL!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
Oakland...you guys are pathetic. I already knew this though.

Bizjournals - September 4, 2006
by G. Scott Thomas
The NFL’s best fans

The Cleveland Browns stumbled to a 6-10 record last year, their third straight losing season. Browns Stadium was sold out for every game.

The Kansas City Chiefs entered the season with high hopes, but missed the playoffs for the second year in a row. Arrowhead Stadium was sold out for every game.

The Philadelphia Eagles plummeted to a 6-10 mark, their worst since 1999. Lincoln Financial Field was sold out for every game.

Such steadfast support is the reason why Cleveland, Kansas City and Philadelphia are 1-2-3 in Bizjournals's new rankings of National Football League fan loyalty. (Click here for the top-to-bottom standings of all 32 teams.) http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/34.html

The study set out to identify the NFL's best fans. Not the ones who turn out in strong numbers for a winning team, but the ones who stay loyal even if their team is losing, the weather is frightful or their local market is small.

Cleveland fans earned first place by routinely packing their 73,000-seat stadium despite the dismal play of the Browns -- who have won only 36 of 112 games since 1999 -- and a climate that is among the coldest in the league.

Kansas City and Philadelphia received high marks for consistently drawing capacity crowds in both good seasons and bad. K.C. has averaged 77,300 fans per game since 1996, while Philly has filled 99.8 percent of available seats. Both figures rank second in the NFL over the 10-year span.

Rounding out the top 10 in the fan rankings are the Green Bay Packers, Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins. (Click here for detailed profiles of all 32 teams.)

Each NFL team's performance was analyzed in seven categories for the period of 1996-2005, including average attendance, percentage of seats filled, fluctuation in attendance between good and bad seasons, on-field record, market population, local income levels and weather. (Click here for the study's methodology.)

The study analyzed each team in two ways -- first for its level of fan support and then for the difficulty it poses to long-term supporters. Cleveland is No. 1 on both lists, clinching first place in the overall rankings of fan loyalty.

Sixty percent of each team's final score is based on the quality of its support, while 40 percent depends on the difficulties its fans face. The tougher the conditions become -- a losing record, a small market or harsh weather -- the higher a team's difficulty score will be.

Right behind the Browns on the support list are Philadelphia, Kansas City, Denver and Green Bay. All attract capacity crowds game after game, year after year.

The runners-up to Cleveland in the difficulty standings are Buffalo, Cincinnati, New Orleans and Arizona. All are small to medium-sized markets whose teams have posted losing records during the past decade.

At the bottom of the overall fan loyalty rankings are the Oakland Raiders, whose average attendance is second-worst in the NFL since 1996, even though they play in one of the league's largest, most affluent markets.

http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/43.html..l/

Apr 25, 2002
Im not gonna make excuses for the poor ticket sales in Oakland but I hope they pick up now that the Raiders organization is in charge of marketing and selling their tickets this year for the first time since returning to Oakland. We still got loyal fans tho...actually in general the whole bay area has loyal fans..Raiders, Niners, Giants, A's to even the Warriors(most loyal in the NBA).

May 2, 2002
Vamps said:
Blah, Blah, Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah..
Yeah Yeah Vamps...too bad you'll never know what it feels like to be a REAL fan.

May 2, 2002
Vamps said:
Haha just like you'll never know what it's like to win a Superbowl..
They'll win one...one day. And I will enjoy the win as a REAL fan.

You on the other hand...are a fan only because the Steelers are a good team.

Just another bandwagon fan.....

Mar 16, 2005
gimpypimp said:
They'll win one...one day. And I will enjoy the win as a REAL fan.

You on the other hand...are a fan only because the Steelers are a good team.

Just another bandwagon fan.....
hey I had to go through the whole you will never win 1 also, let me tell you when that day comes when they win it, you will never be happier bro!

Apr 22, 2002
www.siccness.net
Gimpy, if you lived in Cleveland your argument would be a lot stronger..

The only difference between us is that you're riding a bandwagon full of losers. The article you posted just made that extremely clear. The city of Cleveland, the one that is 2,500 miles away from Santa Clara has no problem paying good money to see their team fail in every imaginable way every time they're on the field..

The title of your post should read, "Cleveland...Dumbest Fans in the NFL!"

May 2, 2002
Vamps said:

The only difference between us is that you're riding a bandwagon full of losers. The article you posted just made that extremely clear. The city of Cleveland, the one that is 2,500 miles away from Santa Clara has no problem paying good money to see their team fail in every imaginable way every time their on the field..

What are you talking about bandwagoner...?

There is a HUGE difference...I USED TO LIVE THERE. And I still have family there.

What's so dumb about fans from a city supporting their local team?

What you are doing is much...much more lame. You have never been to Pittsburgh...and have absolutely no ties to the city what-so-ever.

You probably like them cause you think their colors are cool.

Apr 22, 2002
www.siccness.net
gimpypimp said:
What's so dumb about fans from a city supporting their local team?
Nothing! Except when their organization has done nothing but fail since its inception. Cheering for a chronic loser doesn't make you loyal, it makes you an idiot that can't count the win/loss ratio. The Browns organization does not want to win, yet their fans show up every week thinking they're going to..

gimpypimp said:
What you are doing is much...much more lame. You have never been to Pittsburgh...and have absolutely no ties to the city what-so-ever.
You and your simple-minded logic. I am not a fan of Pittsburgh. I am a fan of the Steelers. They are a team comprised of football players from ALL OVER THE NATION. Most of the Steelers are not from Pittsburgh or even Pennsylvania. It's not a team OF people from Pittsburgh, it's a team located IN Pittsburgh. Together they form a team under an organization which has a philosophy and method of doing things that enables them to be successful year after year. That is what I have been a fan of for the last 11 years..

gimpypimp said:
You probably like them cause you think their colors are cool.
See Gimpy, all your shit is based on speculation. You hope I'm a bandwagon fan. You hope I like the Steelers for some dumb reason like their team colors. The shit I'm saying to you is all true. You are a fan, along with all the other ones that made you #1 on that list of a team that sucks, repeatedly. That isn't speculation. I don't have to hope your team will lose the division this year and that you'll be waving your little orange and brown pom poms hoping for something different, I know you will..

And I'll be here to clown you the whole way..

Mar 16, 2005
Vamps said:

The only difference between us is that you're riding a bandwagon full of losers. The article you posted just made that extremely clear. The city of Cleveland, the one that is 2,500 miles away from Santa Clara has no problem paying good money to see their team fail in every imaginable way every time they're on the field..

Vamps said:
You and your simple-minded logic. I am not a fan of Pittsburgh. I am a fan of the Steelers. They are a team comprised of football players from ALL OVER THE NATION. Most of the Steelers are not from Pittsburgh or even Pennsylvania. It's not a team OF people from Pittsburgh, it's a team located IN Pittsburgh. Together they form a team under an organization which has a philosophy and method of doing things that enables them to be successful year after year. That is what I have been a fan of for the last 11 years..
hmmmm

makes sense to you I guess

so gimpy is from cleveland but it's bad he supports his hometown...you on the other hand have no ties there but it's fine since all the players are from around the country?

Sep 29, 2003
damn, Vamps is killin em!! you soundin like some of the cats in the GOM forum...LOL!!

they probly got the #1 attendance cuz there aint nothin else to do in cleveland!! LOL!

Apr 22, 2002
www.siccness.net
thascary1 said:
hmmmm

makes sense to you I guess

so gimpy is from cleveland but it's bad he supports his hometown...you on the other hand have no ties there but it's fine since all the players are from around the country?
Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it 'cause I didn't say anything you just wrote, but it is sweet that you're defending your man..

Jul 22, 2006
Doesn't someone have to die for you to be able to get season Packers tickets? Isn't it always sold out every game every year there? Isn't it the coldest place they play during the winter?

So how are those cheese heads not the number 1 fans?

Mar 16, 2005
Vamps said:
Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it 'cause I didn't say anything you just wrote, but it is sweet that you're defending your man..

read post 8 and post 13 both yours...That's what you said!

May 2, 2002
Vamps said:
Nothing! Except when their organization has done nothing but fail since its inception. Cheering for a chronic loser doesn't make you loyal, it makes you an idiot that can't count the win/loss ratio. The Browns organization does not want to win, yet their fans show up every week thinking they're going to..
The Browns have never won anything since the 40's? Is that what you are telling me?

You make it sound as though the Steelers have always been good. The Steelers used to be the laughing stock of the league. Here's a little bit about the Steelers...

"The Pittsburgh Steelers were founded by Arthur J. Rooney on July 8, 1933. Now the seventh-oldest franchise in the NFL, the Pittsburgh team was known as the Pirates until 1940. The Steelers struggled for their first 40 years without winning a championship of any kind until they won the AFC Central division title in 1972."

That's a long fuckin' time. In that time...the Browns won 4 championships. Granted...none of them were in my lifetime, but the point is...all teams struggle, or have struggled. Steelers are enjoying success now...while the Browns enjoyed it back then.

You and your simple-minded logic. I am not a fan of Pittsburgh. I am a fan of the Steelers. They are a team comprised of football players from ALL OVER THE NATION. Most of the Steelers are not from Pittsburgh or even Pennsylvania. It's not a team OF people from Pittsburgh, it's a team located IN Pittsburgh.
That is the dumbest explanation I've ever seen. The team/players represent the city. You can try and explain away your bandwagon ways...but it isn't gonna work.

Together they form a team under an organization which has a philosophy and method of doing things that enables them to be successful year after year. That is what I have been a fan of for the last 11 years..
Yeah...I'm sure that's what you were thinking when you became a fan of the Steelers.

"I like the way the methods and philosophies of this organization enable them to become so successful year after year".

That's a fuckin' fancy way of saying they are a good team...I think I'll start cheering for them (bandwagon fan).

See Gimpy, all your shit is based on speculation. You hope I'm a bandwagon fan. You hope I like the Steelers for some dumb reason like their team colors. The shit I'm saying to you is all true. You are a fan, along with all the other ones that made you #1 on that list of a team that sucks, repeatedly. That isn't speculation. I don't have to hope your team will lose the division this year and that you'll be waving your little orange and brown pom poms hoping for something different, I know you will..
I don't hope anything...I know you started to like them cause they were a good team. You had NO OTHER REASON.

When I was growing up (In Cleveland)...the Browns were one of the best teams in football. If it wasn't for the Broncos, we would have played in 3 Superbowls. It's not like they were bottom dwellers.

I had every reason to be a fan...they were good...and they were the home team. They didn't suck...and they didn't suck repeatedly. They have recently...but that hasn't always been the case...and you know it.

And I'll be here to clown you the whole way..
I hope that you are...if it wasn't for the shit talking...this place wouldn't be worth coming to.